New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

suspension of disbelief
Goto page Previous  1, 2

TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this counts, but...something that always bothered me in the first film is how they made Robo seem quite tall compared to everyone else, yet when they filmed the first-person perspective shots as if the viewer was seeing through Murphy's eyes, everyone's looking at him at eye-level instead of looking up at him. I guess one could argue that it's an artistic choice by the director, but technically it's just incorrect...

Plus...I always have to suspend belief every time the mayor opens his mouth in RoboCop 2. (lol)

RB 1633

ultra4
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote

The rape scene. When the victim runs up to Robo thanking him for saving her, the sound effects are absent when he looks down.

Always bugged me.

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Not trying to rip R1 and R2 to shreds here (well okay, my semi-hatred for R2 should be known around here by now, but okay) but I hope I can provide some food for thought:

RoboCop (1)

- Murphy as a RoboCop candidate

It's somewhat known and not-known (eh?) that one of R1's sub-plots consists of cops getting deployed in crime infested areas on purpose, just so that their dead bodies can be harvested by OCP. Why you would want brutally murdered cops for your dark plots and projects is one thing (what about former-cops with a life threatening disease or crippling wound, they might have interest in a second life, but no, by bullets riddled corpses is what they want, fine.)

Anyway, OCP is waiting for some type of candidate to turn into a robot, and it just so happens that their one and only chance is Alex Murphy, a guy who was slowly, in a torturing way, shot to death? Seeing how the human brains are the most important component for a cyborg, they choose Alex Murphy, who had his entire brains shot out the back of his head (well in the X-rated version atleast). A cheese-hole filled limbs missing brainless corpse, that's what we gonna choose to become RoboCop. Maybe if they had waited 5 more minutes a half-dead cop would have showed up who was just shot once in the heart or something. Maybe Alex Murphy is The Chosen One, destined since birth to become RoboCop! /anime tropes

- RoboCop teleporting about in the city

So this guy robs your store and you press the, eh, 911 help me my store is getting f*cked button, and within 10 seconds, this ... robot dude shows up and trashes your store about some more by playing ragdoll with the robber. This means RoboCop had to be like, already driving through the street, or even worse ... just walking about near the shop ... how convenient! A robbery 5 meters from me! Time to make a classic entrance!

RoboCop manages to do the same with the rapists and gas station robbery. Ofcourse we can assume that, since Detroit is such a scummy place, crimes happen around RoboCop on such a large scale magnitude that RoboCop can just drive or walk 10 seconds at random and crash right into baddies.

- Emil recognising Murphy quite instantaneously (sp)

So you just do this thing robbing a gas station and making fun of the store cleric, when suddenly, this ... guy in metal shows up? Instead of being flabbergasted by this late-for-carnaval knight in shining armor, this fellow just happens to say 1 sentence to you that brings you back to one fateful day on which you had fun with your crime buddies shooting up some random cop with shotguns. It all makes sense now! You're a flipping cyborg! We killed you! We killed you dead! They revived you as a cyborg and now you're going to arrest me!

If I was Emil I would be laughing gleefully to witness the world's first succesful Cyborg which you yourself helped build by killing the donor! Wicked!

But not poor Emil ... he's quite shocked at this whole turn of events. RoboCop is too by the way, so we just need an exploding gas station to shock the both of them out of it.

- Slow ass Boddicker attempting to uh escape I guess

So while this robot guy makes mincemeat out of your entire gang, you happen to find yourself without an exit or something? So what do you do? You clumsily jump down through an office like structure, which just f*cks you up all over. You should have waited while this robot man slowly walks up the stairs towards you, and thén jump down. But no. Clarence is all dazed, and RoboCop catches up to him in 3 seconds. The sound of RoboCop's footsteps allone should tell Clarence to hurry the f*ck up and make like a tree, but I guess ... RoboCop is too fast?

- Joe surviving the factory raid only to ... die unexpectedly later?

So during this mentioned shootout, Joe is somewhat comicly knocked down into cardboard boxes by baddie #23, which makes sure Joe survives untill the 3rd act, just so that he can ... get shot by RoboCop anyways? I always wondered if the actor was somewhat jealous that his other gang member actors got way better deaths. And he dies first as the black guy dies first trope! Atleast he had the best laugh. And therefor last laugh? Hmmm.

- ED-209 doing karate

Maybe it's just me, but you have to admit, ED-209 loaded with all his weaponry, opts to just walk towards RoboCop at melee range and swing his ... short wing-like gun arm uppercutting RoboCop through the building. That by no means would cause self-inflicted hardware damage!

- Emil playing chicken with RoboCop ... and losing badly

So you speed in this van towards your target, and said target just ... hop-skips out of the way. You are like so confused by this that you proceed to speed into a conveniently placed storage container filled with insta-f*ck-you-up chemicals. RoboCop doesn't even care to put Emil out of his missery or something and is like "welp, good luck with that, molten-man!"

- Jones insta-fired by The Old Man

This might have even bugged me since childhood. The Old Man says "yo beetch, yo ass is fired yo" and just like that, without any paper work or editing registers, Jones is out a job. This instantaneously throws Directive 4 out of the window, so uh, RoboCop can have Jones follow suit. Now who's gonna clean up that mess? And put in a new window at this 70th floor or wherever!

- Jones getting shot, thrown through a window, falling miles down and then splattering on the pavement. Maybe a tourist bus then drives over his pancake body aswell?

Dear diary, Jones wrote that evening, today sure was a pickle. Not only was I fired insta-second by some old man saying words, I also got shot like, a dozen or so times in the chest and kidney areas, which made me crash through a window, plummeting to my death as a stop-motion puppet. I wonder what I did to deserve all of this?

Also, can RoboCop get away with ... uh ... neutralising ... such a threat such as Jones? What about shooting the pistol out of his hands, or shooting him in the legs and arms. I dunno, ANYTHING to capture poor Jones alive and have him interrogated?? No, Jones dies like, THREE times in 10 seconds, and then everyone applauds RoboCop. Next time I'm not in agreement with my boss, I shoot him in the chest, make him crash through a window, and fall to his death as a stop-motion puppet. Then everyone applauds me and gives me a thumps up! Yay!

RoboCop 2

- Depressed cyborgs and displayed footage do not make sense

So we're led to believe .. ALL cyborg test copies end up depressed and suiciding? What about earlier mentioned ex-cops who are disabled or have a disease? They might be happy at a new chance of life, even if it be in a robot body. Anyway, we then get to see two prototypes. Watch what happens.

The first prototype gently walks towards use and opens up his face hatch. Watch closely. There's some electrical interference and smoke, which would mean some sort of hardware malfunction. The robot continues to shoot about and then shoots itself in the head. But does this behaviour look like a sad depressed little robot to you, that has no other option than ending it's own sad existence? To me it looks like a, somewhat odd I agree, cyborg robot, that just starts glitching and crashing, and in an error riddled confused state, shoots people and itself. Does this scream emotionally unstable cyborg? More like hardware unstable to me.

Then the second robot. It once again walks towards us, looks around and then lifts up his helmet (I always thought as a child it was ripping his head off, which ended up as a punchline in one of my abandoned products comics) Instead, the robot just screams and plummets over, seemingly falling to pieces. Does this look like a depressed robot that longs for death? Once again it looks like the hardware is not up to snuff.

- RoboCop surviving his own captured-by-badguy torture dismemberment without any permanent effect in any shape or form does not make any sense

This is a hot topic for debate. Most people assume that Cain is arrogant and cocky and considers himself already immune and godlike. Thus ... I guess ... RoboCop does not need permanent killing.

I beg to differ. I remain confident that RoboCop is Cain's only nemesis on earth, and the sole factor in shutting down Nuke-factories and killing loyal henchman, that, realistically, should have friends and family, some of them also in Cain's circle.

Therefor, if you have your sole reason for headache and setbacks, strapped to a table, you do not let this person get off on a free pass? Grinding RoboCop to metallic dust means total victory for Cain, and untempered growth for his Nuke empire and I suppose eventual takeover of Detroit. Instead, he toys with RoboCop, and throws him back to the cops in an arrogant way.

RoboCop is then repaired, and after an hilarious filler episode of false directives, RoboCop returns without a scratch, be it physically or, most important, psychologically.

The fact that this robot guy got captured by his arch-enemy that by no means should hate the living guts out of him, and survive it in the end without anything at all does not hold up to me at all.

I know we have all analysed and disected R2's plot to extremes, and most of us agree that R2 has a poor script due to filming problems, but to just have the audience accept that RoboCop gets captured by the main baddy, gets trampled into pieces, and then eventually survives this entire scenario unscathed, is just ... to me this no longer falls under poor plot or bad storytelling. It's just ... a random mish mash of events. Let's just paint RoboCop pink and play a trumpet and dance the ballerina. It all makes 0 sense.

- RoboCop visiting the warehouse raid

I know this is due to deletion of RoboCop visiting Faxx's labs, but as the movie stands, RoboCop has no purpose to appear at the warehouse raid, just to comfort a dying Hob and learn that the endgame baddie is a big bad robot dude guy.

- RoboCop visiting the audiotorium

Likewise RoboCop has little reason to appear at the auditorium and just assume Cain was not following orders and is not completely loyal and under OCP's control, thus brings along this massive rifle, probably scaring a lot of civilians that saw him walking around with it.

RoboCop is indeed lucky that Cain starts to misbehave. Only if you watch closely, RoboCain mostly just stands there, being confused and wondering if he can get some tiny bit of Nuke today. Then RoboCop shouts mean things to him, causing him to jack the remote and activate the weaponry. Violent action packed third act ensues.

In the end, since nothing helps to even dent RoboCain, RoboCop has to walk all the frikking way back to the auditorium to fetch the, you guessed it, Nuke canister that Faxx and cronies might have given Cain to pacify him anyways.

- Faxx walking off into the credits without getting a wrecking ball through her face

This is one that most people should be familiar with, Faxx surviving the movie without a scratch is an annoying fact, and even if there are hints of her getting some kind of comeuppance, the fact we don't get to see it, is well ... I certainly need to suspend my disbelief for that. Does that work as a sentence?

Bye!

RB 1560

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote

^ Wow this has longest post ever award, but it did entertain me!

Maxlee :

So you speed in this van towards your target, and said target just ... hop-skips out of the way. You are like so confused by this that you proceed to speed into a conveniently placed storage container filled with insta-f*ck-you-up chemicals. RoboCop doesn't even care to put Emil out of his missery or something and is like "welp, good luck with that, molten-man!"

The Robocop hop skip and a jump Laughing
I laughed out loud in my office.

Maxlee :

Also, can RoboCop get away with ... uh ... neutralising ... such a threat such as Jones? What about shooting the pistol out of his hands, or shooting him in the legs and arms. I dunno, ANYTHING to capture poor Jones alive and have him interrogated?? No, Jones dies like, THREE times in 10 seconds, and then everyone applauds RoboCop. Next time I'm not in agreement with my boss, I shoot him in the chest, make him crash through a window, and fall to his death as a stop-motion puppet. Then everyone applauds me and gives me a thumps up! Yay!

Richard Eden would have neutralised him!

Maxlee :
- Faxx walking off into the credits without getting a wrecking ball through her face

This is one that most people should be familiar with, Faxx surviving the movie without a scratch is an annoying fact, and even if there are hints of her getting some kind of comeuppance, the fact we don't get to see it, is well ... I certainly need to suspend my disbelief for that. Does that work as a sentence?

Lol, we shall leave her fate to your imagination. Certainly seems the Old Man eventually wanted to pin it all on her...

Just going off topic slightly... I always thought it a shame there weren't more 'goodie' female characters in R2 to balance out the 'badies' Faxx and Angie in a male dominated cast. They could have brought in the female scientist more as she obviously sympathised with Robo and could help to bring out his relatable human side, as that was killed of after 5 mins once his wife left his cage (that was a great moment showing some deep emotion trapped beneath the machine, and was never surfaced again throughout the movie)...

But maybe having more female goodies would detract from Lewis being the favourite? But then we got female scientist lead with Dr Lazarus in R3. I often wondered if R2 scientist and Dr Lazarus were even supposed to be the same character?

Maxlee :
Bye!

See you next time Very Happy

RB 4892

Ed-260
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
Just going off topic slightly... I always thought it a shame there weren't more 'goodie' female characters in R2 to balance out the 'badies' Faxx and Angie in a male dominated cast. They could have brought in the female scientist more as she obviously sympathised with Robo and could help to bring out his relatable human side, as that was killed of after 5 mins once his wife left his cage (that was a great moment showing some deep emotion trapped beneath the machine, and was never surfaced again throughout the movie)...

I have to say I disagree with you on that one. The female characters in Robocop 2 are one the movies strongest attributes and I wouldn't change a thing. They are all strong women with a purpose for being onscreen. Especially Robo's wife, who has been trying to cope with the loss of her husband, who is now stalking her in robot form. That scene is of course one of the most emotional in the entire Robocop franchise. I think her and Lewis are a perfect counterbalance to the more corrupt females, Faxx and Angie, and adding in a 'goodie' as you call it would just be unnecessary. Oh, yeah, and let's not forget the most badass women in the whole movie: the two girls at the beginning who stomp out the dude to get some nuke. That scene set up the the setting of the movie amazingly and those two girls are a large part of why it is a successful opening.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote

Yeah definitely they are strong female characters, there is no denying that.

It seems I probably didn't make my post clear at all and I am still not sure how to further it as I feel I may open up a can of unnecessary worms haha!

All it is is a passing thought/observation of mine that when I watch R2 my brain picks up on noticing the two new main female cast additions and both their characters are 'bad people'. That's all. All the actors and characters are great. If anything it makes me think more about how the filmmakers are setting up the character of near future Detroit and one aspect of any film world is the portrayal of the men and women living their. It doesn't really matter - it's probably just me with my own strange thoughts going off on a tangent haha!

But yes the scene(s) with Robo and his wife is definitely my favourite moment in R2 - it is a real shame that level of emotion was never explored again in the movie. I have often wondered if the female scientist could have brought out Robo's emotional side at times when he is on down time...?

Oh yes those two girls at the beginning - brilliant. Another perfect use for stilettos! Laughing

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote

I'm gonna try to touch on all of these, keep in mind while I might make counter points, I don't necessarily disagree with much of this stuff.

Maxlee :
Not trying to rip R1 and R2 to shreds here (well okay, my semi-hatred for R2 should be known around here by now, but okay) but I hope I can provide some food for thought:

RoboCop (1)

- Murphy as a RoboCop candidate

It's somewhat known and not-known (eh?) that one of R1's sub-plots consists of cops getting deployed in crime infested areas on purpose, just so that their dead bodies can be harvested by OCP. Why you would want brutally murdered cops for your dark plots and projects is one thing (what about former-cops with a life threatening disease or crippling wound, they might have interest in a second life, but no, by bullets riddled corpses is what they want, fine.)

Anyway, OCP is waiting for some type of candidate to turn into a robot, and it just so happens that their one and only chance is Alex Murphy, a guy who was slowly, in a torturing way, shot to death? Seeing how the human brains are the most important component for a cyborg, they choose Alex Murphy, who had his entire brains shot out the back of his head (well in the X-rated version atleast). A cheese-hole filled limbs missing brainless corpse, that's what we gonna choose to become RoboCop. Maybe if they had waited 5 more minutes a half-dead cop would have showed up who was just shot once in the heart or something. Maybe Alex Murphy is The Chosen One, destined since birth to become RoboCop! /anime tropes

Eh, it was just some of his brain, not all of it. That being said, perhaps the other candidates were even worse off still. Otherwise I think there might be something to perhaps it not really an 'accident' with Murphy. He was the one. This is even concurred a bit in R2.

Quote:
- RoboCop teleporting about in the city

So this guy robs your store and you press the, eh, 911 help me my store is getting f*cked button, and within 10 seconds, this ... robot dude shows up and trashes your store about some more by playing ragdoll with the robber. This means RoboCop had to be like, already driving through the street, or even worse ... just walking about near the shop ... how convenient! A robbery 5 meters from me! Time to make a classic entrance!

RoboCop manages to do the same with the rapists and gas station robbery. Ofcourse we can assume that, since Detroit is such a scummy place, crimes happen around RoboCop on such a large scale magnitude that RoboCop can just drive or walk 10 seconds at random and crash right into baddies.

Pretty much answered yourself - Remember he was cruising around in a squad car, not walking, so he could respond pretty well - I doubt he had to or did walk much. Robo was near the gas station as we saw and I'd assume he was near the store as well. The rape scene Robo wasn't quite Johnny-on-the-spot, there was a minute or two (long enough for the 'more hair', after all). Robo got there in time at least. And yes, I do think 'Old Detroit' was that bad, which helps emphasize the horror of how bad the city is and the need for ED and Robo in the first place.

Quote:
- Emil recognising Murphy quite instantaneously (sp)

So you just do this thing robbing a gas station and making fun of the store cleric, when suddenly, this ... guy in metal shows up? Instead of being flabbergasted by this late-for-carnaval knight in shining armor, this fellow just happens to say 1 sentence to you that brings you back to one fateful day on which you had fun with your crime buddies shooting up some random cop with shotguns. It all makes sense now! You're a flipping cyborg! We killed you! We killed you dead! They revived you as a cyborg and now you're going to arrest me!

If I was Emil I would be laughing gleefully to witness the world's first succesful Cyborg which you yourself helped build by killing the donor! Wicked!

But not poor Emil ... he's quite shocked at this whole turn of events. RoboCop is too by the way, so we just need an exploding gas station to shock the both of them out of it.

Eh, people often respond to such things differently than others, and indeed what one might think. Initially I think Emil saw something he wasn't hip with and looked like he was coyly trying to get away as, well, criminals tend to do.

The 'dead or alive' line I do think might be stretching it but Emil probably RARELY got cornered as he did (for a bit) with Murphy, I don't think it's too out of scope that that line would register. That said, again, people respond to that kind of stuff differently than others.

Quote:
- Slow ass Boddicker attempting to uh escape I guess

So while this robot guy makes mincemeat out of your entire gang, you happen to find yourself without an exit or something? So what do you do? You clumsily jump down through an office like structure, which just f*cks you up all over. You should have waited while this robot man slowly walks up the stairs towards you, and thén jump down. But no. Clarence is all dazed, and RoboCop catches up to him in 3 seconds. The sound of RoboCop's footsteps allone should tell Clarence to hurry the f*ck up and make like a tree, but I guess ... RoboCop is too fast?

I think Clarence was expecting it to support his weight, and well, didn't. And with it he took a pretty gnarly fall, I don't expect him to just up and get too quickly. Would you? I do think Robo was a little too on-the-spot there though.

Quote:
- Joe surviving the factory raid only to ... die unexpectedly later?

So during this mentioned shootout, Joe is somewhat comicly knocked down into cardboard boxes by baddie #23, which makes sure Joe survives untill the 3rd act, just so that he can ... get shot by RoboCop anyways? I always wondered if the actor was somewhat jealous that his other gang member actors got way better deaths. And he dies first as the black guy dies first trope! Atleast he had the best laugh. And therefor last laugh? Hmmm.

He was actually knocked down by Minh when he got hit, of which we don't see him again so with that he was the first actual Robo-casualty from the gang, not the black guy. Progressive, yes? tongue That said, Joe got shot with about three of four bursts, more than any other baddie and only matching with Jones at the end. It was a decent death, though indeed perhaps not as 'impressive' as the others.

Quote:
- ED-209 doing karate

Maybe it's just me, but you have to admit, ED-209 loaded with all his weaponry, opts to just walk towards RoboCop at melee range and swing his ... short wing-like gun arm uppercutting RoboCop through the building. That by no means would cause self-inflicted hardware damage!

Sounded like ED was pretty solid there, though to only right after get it blown up with one cannon hit is a bit inconsistent (there are the ammo mags though)

Quote:

Well, box vans aren't the kind of vehicles that turn on a dime, especially at speed. That said, I do agree that was actually rather comical, but it adds to the comical gruesomeness of the whole deal (which yes, includes Robo merely giving a passing 'fuck you' glance' at rotting Emil). Smile

Quote:

This might have even bugged me since childhood. The Old Man says "yo beetch, yo ass is fired yo" and just like that, without any paper work or editing registers, Jones is out a job. This instantaneously throws Directive 4 out of the window, so uh, RoboCop can have Jones follow suit. Now who's gonna clean up that mess? And put in a new window at this 70th floor or wherever!

Nothing for the top point much (it is stretching it a bit there sure) but on that last part - OCP cleaned up the mess from Kinney and the ED/Robo fight without much issue, I don't think Jones's fall and one window would be that big a deal. tongue

Quote:
- Jones getting shot, thrown through a window, falling miles down and then splattering on the pavement. Maybe a tourist bus then drives over his pancake body aswell?

Dear diary, Jones wrote that evening, today sure was a pickle. Not only was I fired insta-second by some old man saying words, I also got shot like, a dozen or so times in the chest and kidney areas, which made me crash through a window, plummeting to my death as a stop-motion puppet. I wonder what I did to deserve all of this?

Lol, RoboCop doesn't 'neutralize' anyone, you fool! That said, funny stuff here.

And now to the really fun one.. hehe..

Quote:
RoboCop 2

- Depressed cyborgs and displayed footage do not make sense

So we're led to believe .. ALL cyborg test copies end up depressed and suiciding? What about earlier mentioned ex-cops who are disabled or have a disease? They might be happy at a new chance of life, even if it be in a robot body. Anyway, we then get to see two prototypes. Watch what happens.

The first prototype gently walks towards use and opens up his face hatch. Watch closely. There's some electrical interference and smoke, which would mean some sort of hardware malfunction. The robot continues to shoot about and then shoots itself in the head. But does this behaviour look like a sad depressed little robot to you, that has no other option than ending it's own sad existence? To me it looks like a, somewhat odd I agree, cyborg robot, that just starts glitching and crashing, and in an error riddled confused state, shoots people and itself. Does this scream emotionally unstable cyborg? More like hardware unstable to me.

Then the second robot. It once again walks towards us, looks around and then lifts up his helmet (I always thought as a child it was ripping his head off, which ended up as a punchline in one of my abandoned products comics) Instead, the robot just screams and plummets over, seemingly falling to pieces. Does this look like a depressed robot that longs for death? Once again it looks like the hardware is not up to snuff.

I agree that seems a bit like hardware error, though perhaps it was a hard fault in operating precipitated by a emotional/mental tick or substate. There were worries of that sort I think with Murphy before in R1, with him having dreams and whatnot.

I don't know what that second one really is though, other than mildly hilarious of course.

No argument with your first point though, I'm quite sure they could still have applied those parameters, especially in that reasoning (or even Faxx's, if you wish) to a police/ex-police type, as is kinda touched on in the remake.

Quote:
- RoboCop surviving his own captured-by-badguy torture dismemberment without any permanent effect in any shape or form does not make any sense

This is a hot topic for debate. Most people assume that Cain is arrogant and cocky and considers himself already immune and godlike. Thus ... I guess ... RoboCop does not need permanent killing.

I beg to differ. I remain confident that RoboCop is Cain's only nemesis on earth, and the sole factor in shutting down Nuke-factories and killing loyal henchman, that, realistically, should have friends and family, some of them also in Cain's circle.

Therefor, if you have your sole reason for headache and setbacks, strapped to a table, you do not let this person get off on a free pass? Grinding RoboCop to metallic dust means total victory for Cain, and untempered growth for his Nuke empire and I suppose eventual takeover of Detroit. Instead, he toys with RoboCop, and throws him back to the cops in an arrogant way.

RoboCop is then repaired, and after an hilarious filler episode of false directives, RoboCop returns without a scratch, be it physically or, most important, psychologically.

The fact that this robot guy got captured by his arch-enemy that by no means should hate the living guts out of him, and survive it in the end without anything at all does not hold up to me at all.

I know we have all analysed and disected R2's plot to extremes, and most of us agree that R2 has a poor script due to filming problems, but to just have the audience accept that RoboCop gets captured by the main baddy, gets trampled into pieces, and then eventually survives this entire scenario unscathed, is just ... to me this no longer falls under poor plot or bad storytelling. It's just ... a random mish mash of events. Let's just paint RoboCop pink and play a trumpet and dance the ballerina. It all makes 0 sense.

I honestly have to agree and abide this pretty much completely. It's another huge failure in the whole narrative. IIRC the graveyard sequence was supposed to take place right after that, while Robo was in fugue, and frankly I wish that, or something of that vein, was done in the final film. Alas, bah..

Quote:
- RoboCop visiting the warehouse raid

I know this is due to deletion of RoboCop visiting Faxx's labs, but as the movie stands, RoboCop has no purpose to appear at the warehouse raid, just to comfort a dying Hob and learn that the endgame baddie is a big bad robot dude guy.

Shitty transitional deal for sure without the accompanying scene. I had thought for a while maybe somebody called the cops but eventaully realized that makes even less sense - Who would call them, and why would only Robo show? Bah again.

Quote:
- RoboCop visiting the audiotorium

Likewise RoboCop has little reason to appear at the auditorium and just assume Cain was not following orders and is not completely loyal and under OCP's control, thus brings along this massive rifle, probably scaring a lot of civilians that saw him walking around with it.

RoboCop is indeed lucky that Cain starts to misbehave. Only if you watch closely, RoboCain mostly just stands there, being confused and wondering if he can get some tiny bit of Nuke today. Then RoboCop shouts mean things to him, causing him to jack the remote and activate the weaponry. Violent action packed third act ensues.

In the end, since nothing helps to even dent RoboCain, RoboCop has to walk all the frikking way back to the auditorium to fetch the, you guessed it, Nuke canister that Faxx and cronies might have given Cain to pacify him anyways.

Eh, I guess this could be considered a delayed reaction to the earlier deal - Robo is now overcome with the need for revenge on Cain he ignores all this other shit, gets tunnel vision. Granted I don't think that really works, especially absent an accompanying scene, but, it's something I guess.

Quote:

Like Edd said, I guess that's left for the imagination. Still sucks though, I concur.

Anyway, I agree with Pimp R2 had good supporting characters, problem is they weren't utilized enough, Lewis especially. Not that she needed to be there a lot more, just a tad would have been great. Would have canceled some of that mean tone and balanced the whole thing out some. I also think Murphy's widow adds to that, though as I've said plenty before, that whole deal is cut off at the knees and doesn't go anywhere at all, which is pretty weak.

Anyway, that'll be my adding-point/counter-point/other-point load of yak.
Quote:
Bye!

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote

Y'know, you guys mentioned the scene of the first two attempts at a RoboCop 2 prototype...I always hated that sequence. The cyborg designs themselves were too simplistic, and the terrible stop-motion effects made them look even worse. It also seemed cheesy for the reveals to be filmed like a presentation to be viewed later or remotely instead of it being a live event like in the first film, and it was complete with the awful trumpet music...ugh. I never EVER liked that part, even though I liked what it represented...it was a great concept to explore, to be sure, but I always felt it was executed horribly...

Years later I would be reminded of this sequence in a different movie, yet it would be executed so much better. I'm referring to the scene in Iron Man 2, ironically enough, where Tony Stark's at the congressional hearing concerning the national security issue that is the Iron Man technology, and he hijacks the computer monitors remotely to reveal the failed attempts by other countries and regimes to replicate said technology with disasterous results...THAT kind of sequence was much more in line with what they should have filmed in RoboCop 2 than the laughable crap we actually got.

Geeze...this thread really uncovered something about RoboCop 2 that surprisingly I always passionately hated, now that I think about it. (lol)

RB 1633

ultra4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard