New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Blade Runner 2049

AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Comment: "You gotta ask yourself one question, ED209, do you feel lucky?"

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Who's watching this movie?

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote

Not sure if Iīll go to see it. The first one doesnīt need a sequel, and this looks more like an action flick than "part II".

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote

I wasn't too interested when it was first announced, but I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep for a class a few months ago and it definitely got me more interested because there were a few ideas on the novel that weren't developed in the movie... not saying that is the direction they are going, but I see the potential for a quality film. That said, Harrison Ford has had a string of returns to old characters in recent years that is running a bit thin. Indiana Jones sucks and his return to paying Han Solo was pretty hamfisted so my expectations for this film are not too high. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking about watching this in the weekend. So far, it's won rave reviews.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote

I watched it yesterday, it's an awesome movie.

CREDITS 13

game-xbox
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Hopefully me an my brothers can watch it together soon, I am really interested to see how things stand up to the original, and just in general!

CREDITS 1158

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Watched it yesterday, not bad, not great.

Settings, atmosphere and visual style are the best part of the movie.

Plot, narrative and themes are a bit disappointing. Few good moments and ideas, plays around identity and what is real or not, but lacks the poetry and philosophy heights of the original. Also, instead of expanding the universe, it relies too much on continuing the story of the first movie.

Actors and characters not really interesting. Also for someone who knows about the voice-over narrative problem of the first film (theatrical vs director's cut), in this one they find a too obvious way to implement a voice-over narrative through another character, it feels like cheating. Also that character gets a storyline which is literally a rip-off of movie "Her", maybe to target the female audience.

Interestingly, despite visual direction being overall stunning, the action scenes are very low-key and generic, a couple of them try to be interesting just because of the setting, with mixed results. I expected more action to be honest, but it is closer to the original in the quantity of it, just less dramatic.

My vote: 6.5/10
1982 vote: 8.5/10

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote

I feel the same as you. It looked stunning, gorgeous and spectacular, but moved very slowly and some parts for me were a little confusing. It just wasn't as edgy, compelling and dramatic as the original movie and there was no one with the malevolent, menacing and intriguing presence of Rutger Hauer who was the ultimate anti-hero in the 1st one. Gosling was okay and there were quite a few twists involving his character. When I went yesterday, there were only 4 or 5 others in the room.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Saw it last night and I wasn't impressed.

Storywise - some interesting ideas, but not captivating enough. Now, to tell you the truth, I don't think the original's screenplay is that great either, but it's straightforward and does make you ask some questions, even if it also has scenes from the book included without an appropriate context. This one dragged. REALLY dragged. The pacing was off, a lot of pointless scenes and a rather predictable attempt at a red herring.

Visually I found it bland and boring. Half the movie was dust, the other half was a black screen and a wasteland. There were probably no more than 3 shots I actually liked (mostly with the flying police cruisers) simply because they actually looked like the original. No flames, barely any neon... There's more to see in the anime prequel, to be honest. Funny thing is, visually this resembles what I imagined when I read the novel more than the original movie though.

The music was disappointing. No more than two pieces stood out and had an emotional charge and I could see myself listening to them on their own. The rest was the typical loud "BAAAAUMMM" noises you hear in every trailer nowadays. Shame.

And since I actually like the first one in terms of visuals and sound better than I do in terms of story, having these too major factors being disappointing in the sequel left me rather unsatisfied with it.

But they did get me curious about reading the old-school sequel novels.

CREDITS 2697

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote

What I find very interesting about this sequel release and its box-office performance, it's how much it's telling about the popularity of the original one.

For a long time the original was seen as a classic, praised by film critics and sci-fi fans, but with all the renewed interest thanks to the sequel, a lot of other audiences are approaching it, mainstream audiences that actually feel disappointed, they find the original just boring and confusing.

Also, I've seen some filmgoers raise their voice saying they actually never liked the first one to begin with, and their voice is now more strong than ever. The original film is more a "cult" film and a favorite of critics, rather than a true timeless classic.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
For a long time the original was seen as a classic, praised by film critics and sci-fi fans, but with all the renewed interest thanks to the sequel, a lot of other audiences are approaching it, mainstream audiences that actually feel disappointed, they find the original just boring and confusing.

Also, I've seen some filmgoers raise their voice saying they actually never liked the first one to begin with, and their voice is now more strong than ever. The original film is more a "cult" film and a favorite of critics, rather than a true timeless classic.

Bah, as far as I'm concerned with those other.. people.. well we all know that many people can be wrong. :roll: Though to be fair there is a risk of that when you're talking about a continuation/reboot this long after the fact. I had that concern with R2014 for a minute - If it was actually good some simpletons might look on the original with harsher eyes due to being dazzled by effects and flash and action and whatnot and not caring for the original's depth. Sounds a similar situation here. Of course we don't have that problem - And probably wouldn't have anyway even if the remake wasn't as fail as it is - But I have seen that kind of thing happen to varying extents in other films/franchises.

Anyway, still haven't checked it yet myself, but from what I'm reading definitely seems to be more bad than good to this so will actually look forward to seeing it when I get around to it, still somewhat guarded of course but not quite as doomsday mindset as I might have once had.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote

shame on the people who didnt go see it in theaters. it blends seemlessly in with the original and just continues the story line while adding quite a few new wrinkles.

it wasnt boring by far, it wasnt slow either. it kept the story moving right along.

its a classic and people sleep on great movies every single year it seems.

the original didnt make money either, but the problem was that it kept making money for three decades in various formats.

tv shows, videos games, books, home video,cable tv, theater anniversary showings, special editions, etc, etc.

the cash just kept rolling in since 1982.

the same goes for tron, the movie studios blew it in promoting the films.

so i blame disney and sony/ warner bros.

you cant just release a movie without promotion, the general public is far too dense for that.

no matter how high the rating online via rotten tomatoes.

CREDITS 127

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote

I saw it. I liked it but it wasn't a great movie. There was too much story, which was probably in response to the original having a very basic plot. I like the original, but it feels like an independent film to me. The sequel (2049) is a straight up action film with some of those artistic elements but it has a little too much going on for me. I liked "future detective plot" I wished they focused mostly on that.
JOF

CREDITS 35

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote

I was surprised. I was feeling another cashgrab (and when I saw the Sony logo I almost fainted. Another RebootCop!) but they did their own thing and itīs pretty good. Yeah, itīs not "Blade Runner" (the Ridley Scott flick) but was interesting enough and visually cute to keep you interested. Of course they could trim it and cut some subplots, and characters like the one Jaret Leto portrayed did nothing to the flick, but thatīs a nice effort and had some cool ideas about identity, AI and such.

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard