New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New Boom! RoboCop comics coming in April
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote

RoboCop is returning to comics, courtesy of Boom! Studios, with a new series set 30 years after the original movie. RoboCop: Citizens Arrest issue 1 will be released digitally and in comic book stores in April.

Setting environment sounds pretty neat, I guess we'll find out more in April. Smile

SOURCE:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robocop-returns-citizens-arrest-comic-book-series-1075351

* Post edited for News forum

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote

YEEEEEESSSS!

I was thinking a few weeks ago, it's a shame the Boom stuff ended after Dead Or Alive and that it would probably lay dormant for years before another publisher picks it up then looses interest.

But no. This really was unexpected.

Just read the writer interview and it sounds like he gets the original film.

Hopefully, if it sells well and the inevitable eventual trade paperback sells too, maybe Boom will consider releasing a deluxe Dark Horse omnibus (or even the Marvel run?) They managed to negotiate the rights for RvT. Here's hoping anyway.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Official Boom press release:

BOOM! Studios today (Tues 19 Jan) announced ROBOCOP: CITIZENS ARREST, an all-new comic book series premiering in April 2018. Visionary writer Brian Wood (DMZ, Briggs Land) and fan-favorite artist Jorge Coelho (Venom) present a chilling view of the future where justice is crowdsourced, set 30 years after the events of the landmark original RoboCop film.

In the decades since the RoboCop program first began, corporations have taken over public services and the government—and law enforcement is the biggest private contract of all. Traditional police forces no longer exist as all citizens are encouraged—and rewarded—to spy on their neighbors.

There is only one authority on the streets: ROBOCOP.

Interview with writer Brian Wood and artist Jorge Coelho here:

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote

This will be a nice present for my Birthday. I´m happy they´re doing something with Robo. I thought they rights expired after no news from the Dead Or Alive arcs. Which is a shame, it seems each publisher are shy about RoboTitles (back in the day Avatar Press showed some promising artwork for a new series and they dropped the ball, and instead released some one shots with Lewis bad sister opps and such).

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
This will be a nice present for my Birthday. I´m happy they´re doing something with Robo. I thought they rights expired after no news from the Dead Or Alive arcs. Wich is a shame, it seems each publisher are shy about RoboTitles (back in the day Avatar Press showed some promising artwork for a new series and they dropped the ball, and instead released some one shots with Lewis bad sister opps and such).

Yeah, Wild Child. What a shitpile. Killing Machine was scarcely better.

That said, reading some more I'm not quite as keen on the story setting as I once was.. but hey, certainly can't be as bad as that aforementioned Avatar crud at least.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote

Of course any news of new Robocop comics excites me, and I will rush out to buy them like I have done every previous Robocop comic. BOOM's take on Robo has been a bit underwhelming and I feel they could shoot for more. This series seems kinda low key, but has the potential to be good based on the little info we have so far.

Here's the problem, though. It's nothing special. It's not gonna sell well. My local comic shop didn't even carry their last series through to the end. I bought the first few issue there, then was away at college, went back to try to pick up the rest, they told me they only ordered one copy a month and couldn't even move that. I was the only one buying it. This new series might be great, but how is it gonna generate any interest? I hate to say it, but crossing over with the Terminator was one of Robo's shining moments in the public eye. Has the time come for Robo's new mashup? BOOM has the Power Rangers license, it would be a strange crossover but I can think of at least one other Robofan here who would like that comic. I feel like something like that, some big move that makes waves, is what Robo needs in the comic world. Otherwise this will just be another little Robo series that comes and goes until the next one comes out years later. And that's not bad, I liked all the covers too, but of course I see the potential for so much more. Wll Robo's original 23 issue run ever be topped?

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Great news. This year is off to a promising start for Robo! Maybe he'll get the 30th anniversary he deserved but didn't really get last year? Now... where's that statue?

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Here's the problem, though. It's nothing special. It's not gonna sell well.

That is unfortunately true. The recent Robo comics havn't been very successful from what i understand.

I think a lot of people bought the first issue of the previous series, then the interest went down for every issue. And the same story went on and on for 12 issues which is probably too much. Not even the original artist stayed around for the full run.

The 4 issue story thing that Dark Horse did was probably best.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote

Archive :

That was a great system. First, it brought us Robocop vs. Terminator. Then, the rest of the 4 issue series are at least loosely tied together, and two of them had lead-in stories in the Dark Horse Comics anthology series. Those were all written by John Arcudi and there were plans for at least one more 4 issue series that would tie things together and give the build arc a conclusion. It is sad that is got cancelled, but the beauty of it was that those series can all be read and enjoyed standalone. As a kid I never knew that there was supposed to be more, it makes sense but you didn't like, expect or need it. With BOOM they were forced to commit to a 12 issue arc. Now, it was nice to see a more spread out and slower paced Robo tale, but that is not a good way to bring in new fans, and to be honest it was just OK. I will buy OK Robocop comics every month, but basically nobody else will. They have to be great. I hate to say it, but those tie ins to 2014 movie were most certainly the most successful Robocop comics in years. They are also the only Robocop comics I don't own, I haven't even read them, but they were one shots, there were four of them, and the coincided with the movie. Notice they didn't do a 12 issue series tied into the movie, they cashed in and cashed out. At this point I wish they would do the same to old Robo. Sure, having a nice little series that respects cannon and stays true to the spirit of Robo is nice. But Robocop vs. Power Rangers would be way more interesting, it would sell better, it would be dumb as fuck, but I would love the hell out of it!

RB 1658

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Archive :

That was a great system. First, it brought us Robocop vs. Terminator. Then, the rest of the 4 issue series are at least loosely tied together, and two of them had lead-in stories in the Dark Horse Comics anthology series. Those were all written by John Arcudi and there were plans for at least one more 4 issue series that would tie things together and give the build arc a conclusion. It is sad that is got cancelled, but the beauty of it was that those series can all be read and enjoyed standalone. As a kid I never knew that there was supposed to be more, it makes sense but you didn't like, expect or need it.

Agree, one of the reasons I liked the DH run was because they were a bit shorter yet no less fulfilling. That and yes they could be enjoyed independently of each other as well as together. While a longer, more serial arc can be done, I think it would be best to use the Dark Horse layout primarily with the longer runs for special, more involved stories - or at least to do the shorter runs to start and then move into longer ones.

RB 52679

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
While a longer, more serial arc can be done, I think it would be best to use the Dark Horse layout primarily with the longer runs for special, more involved stories - or at least to do the shorter runs to start and then move into longer ones.

There is also a financial motivation behind it too: #1 issues ALWAYS sell better than the rest. If BOOM had done three miniseries instead of the 12 issue 'ongoing' series, they could have had three times the #1 issues. Variant covers also sell way better, even in my case I have 2 covers for each issue of the Avatar series, but at least 5 versions of issue #1, including the 'collectors' edition Robosteel version! There were plenty of other variants along the way, but issue #1 is what draws people in time and time again. I mean, say you stumble into a comic shop, a casual Robo fan, and see there is a new Robocop comic out. Are you more likely to plunk $4 down for issue #1 or issue #7. Shorter series, more chances to draw people in!

RB 1658

Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Preview of the first issue.... https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/04/robocop-returns-comics-citizens-arrest-check-preview/

RB 3527

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
Preview of the first issue.... https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/04/robocop-returns-comics-citizens-arrest-check-preview/

That´s... strange. Kinda like the cartoonish artwork and colours, but man, the covers are bad. Tried to get the skull one, but it´d cost me a kidney, so I had to stay with the regular one: The River Rouge, pink colored Robo2. Is lame for a pro comic book title. If an aspiring artist show that into a comic company they´d laugh at him.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote

Not too intrigued. Another comic that takes pages to actually show us Robo? Yay? Not in a big, epic sequence either, just an origin retread. I'm obviously gonna buy them anyway, as I own every other Robocop comic, but nothing about this would make me go out of my way otherwise. The homage the the first film's movie poster is nice, but other than that nothing about this Robocop preview is really selling me on the Robocop.

RB 1658

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard