New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

"The Hidden Meaning Behind RoboCop 2"

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote

I was browsing through Amazon Prime to see what was included with my membership when I came across this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ikwRgWLz4 (This is easier to view as everyone can watch)

What do you think of his reasoning behind the movie, some parts do actually sound plausable, if a little far fetched!

RB 19226

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote

While it think it's an interesting theory i think that, as with most fan theories, it wasn't something the creators of the movie actually had in mind. Fans tend to spin things a bit too much and find hidden meaning where there is none.

Stuff like the "Robo can't target children" meaning that RoboCop as a movie should not be aimed at children, feels very forced. In the confines of the video it all holds up though.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Not bad , also one of the hidden sentences is "Avoid Orion meetings.''
wich also fits to his theory.

RB 1199

game-xbox
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote

The theory kinda works but I doubt we'll ever hear if its close to the truth or not really. Falls apart a bit at the end though.

Guy also sounds a bit too "you cant tell a good story for kids" as well.

The thing that goes against this is the stuff on the cutting room floor and the whole script being kinda half of what it was meant to be.

RB 710

cake
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote

The creator of this video has surely put a lot of time into analyzing some of the elements of RoboCop and RoboCop 2 and has given some evidence of his theories. While I did agree that themes like corporate greed, assimilation or sanitization of the RoboCop character, and RoboCop 2 (or RoboCain) being an intentional revision of the original idea are present in the movie, I don't think that it is a bad movie. It's satire, even if not done as well in RoboCop 2, the writers of these stories were trying to point out the flaws in society, business, and people that were passing as normal. The OCP bigwigs were trying to cash in on a good product, so they create a new one and use the same name to help sell it. The corporate think tank wanted to white-wash the business of law enforcement by corrupting RoboCop's programming. Nuke was a drug that was crippling Detroit, but it ends up being Nuke that leads to its own downfall when the police use it to bait RoboCain into a fight with RoboCop. All these themes are being used to emphasize the role that humanity plays in the age-old battle between good and evil. If all people were machines, then these adventure stories would not be so interesting. The human nature of the characters, some good, some bad, some a bit of both is what makes them interesting. In that way, I think that RoboCop 2, while shamefully playing off of a number of late 80s-early 90s topics (war on drugs, corporate globalization, censorship and an attempt to be more respectful of others by enforcing political correctness, business entanglements in the private sector), has an interesting and elaborate story to tell. It does mirror some of this fan's observations about trying to recreate something great for the wrong reasons.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard