New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: Limited Edition (A Blu-ray Review)

ant
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: I am RoboAnt!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/robocop-le-2019-bd

RB 3026

cake
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Confirms my suspicions, but still good to hear it in a review. I said it before, but you really need to have a good reason for fans to buy a re-issue of a movie like RoboCop, but Arrow has provided plenty.

RB 730

hamburger
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote

Slash Man :
Confirms my suspicions, but still good to hear it in a review. I said it before, but you really need to have a good reason for fans to buy a re-issue of a movie like RoboCop, but Arrow has provided plenty.

If I don't own any of the movies on Blu Ray already would this be unquestionably the best version to get? I recently bought an Xbox One and can play Blu Rays for the first time in my life so was hoping to pick up all the RoboCop movies in the near future, I'm still using the same scratched up DVDs from over a decade ago!

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Lethal Response
Crime Prevention Unit

L-L3

Comment: Carrying enough firepower to get the job done.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote

I'm loving the Arrow release right now... I picked up the steelbook (as I like to collect those) and the regular release, which was more expensive than the steelbook when I last looked. It comes with a book, postcards, poster, reversible art sleeve. They really did a fantastic job. The amount of special features make it so worthwhile. Although I recently read that they left a couple out.

I often see the Director's Cut bluray at stores like Giant Tiger (here in Canada) for like 6 bucks. It's crazy to see it sell for that. When it's one of your favorite movies and it's in a clearance bin, you get some pretty mixed emotions. Laughing

RB 437

RoboCain-monitor
drsyn71
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote

The ARROW release IS pretty sweet. I'm glad the digitalbits review mentioned this:

Not carried over from MGM and 20th Century Fox DVDs and Blu-rays are the Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop documentary, the Shooting Robocop featurette, and the Making Robocop vintage featurette. Also not carried over from the Criterion DVD and Laserdisc are the various Storyboards materials. It’s worth noting that the long in development documentary RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop is absent as well, so watch for that to appear as well.

So, I'm still hanging on to my MGM blu and Criterion DVD. How many times can I buy Robocop? It's getting up there! Very Happy

RB 1002

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Slash Man :

If I don't own any of the movies on Blu Ray already would this be unquestionably the best version to get? I recently bought an Xbox One and can play Blu Rays for the first time in my life so was hoping to pick up all the RoboCop movies in the near future, I'm still using the same scratched up DVDs from over a decade ago!

Well I finally replaced those scratched up old DVDs. I saw someone selling the Arrow release of RoboCop along with the Shout Factory versions of 2 and 3 as a bundle for a reasonable price so I snatched them up. I have never owned or even really watched a Blu-Ray so I was excited to see the quality difference... which led to a very funny moment when I first put the movie on and was like "wait wtf this doesn't look any better, it looks the same as I remember on VHS!" but that was because the movie opens with the Mediabreak segments... which are filmed on video specifically to have that old school aesthetic. I started cracking up when I realized, and was definitely impressed with the way the rest of the film looked. I don't think I ever even really noticed or thought much of that effect. As I was always watching it on VHS or DVD and on older TVs, the difference in the Mediabreak format is much more noticeable.

Other that that I did not see any other revelatory differences, the blu-Ray upgrade is great but not the king of thing that makes or breaks a movie for me. I was surprised that it wasn't the action scenes but rather the slower scenes that seem most improved. The boardroom scene with the ED-209 stood out the most as being super crisp and beautiful in a way I never experienced before. On the other hand, boosting it to HD always shows the age of the film in some places, but a huge improvement regardless. I haven't had a chance to dig into any of the bonus features but I am excited to see what is there. Except for the stuff with the RoboDoc crew, it seems silly to me that they were able to do these commentary tracks for all the movies 4 years ago, while they still haven't truly proven their 'street cred' as Robofans yet, at least to me. Maybe I will watch it when they get the doc out. Either way, tons of great stuff to dig into, I am plan on watching 2 and 3 and then going back through the features. These do seem to be by far the best versions of these movies availible so I am happy I was able to finally move into the modern age and get these movies on blu-ray.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard