New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: The Series on HD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote

Rick :
Some of those shots do look a lot better but it is clearly just an AI upscale and not the 'rescanning of the original negatives' type of HD restoration we'd like.

Well, a real restoration would cost a bunch of money AND I really doubt they have the original 35 mm or whatever film format they filmed it before post-production. If big studios even destroyed film negatives for big movies in the past, I can´t imagine what could happen with the series. Plus, I´m not sure with all the legal stuff behind the 94 production where they could search for these.

Anyway, even with an artificial upgrade I´m kinda pleased. Because at least they tried. Liberation Hall claimed they took the negatives, did a restoration and such, and that was no the case. No (real or fake) HD; I think the only difference between the one disc German release had to do with the colors (and I´m not even sure of that). I don´t know how the AI upscale would affect the FX compositions, but for the screencaps showed there it looks colorful and kind of crispy, which it´s cute. The Series was a well filmed show, and previous released make it look ugly due to color desaturation from the sources. I´m not a tech/film nerd, but it´s cool to have series from the past on HD and watch these with a sharper image.

As for the Lisa Madigan thing, I really hope they´d change that at some moment. I think we should told them on social media, but not sure if they´ll read that. I sent them a mail about that, but it seems they didn´t change it. And I hope they´ll end using a great cover to sell this. If you put time and work trying to "remaster" the show and then you´re trying to sell it with a bootleg collage and errors in the features, bad.

(And I still think a booklet with the plain text featurettes extracted from the US release would make it more attractive than just port these to the UK edition, but...)

I think I wrote way too much. But I´m kinda happy right now, as this release could turn out decent. I´m glad I waited and didn´t get the chopped widescreen one.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:44 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Ok. I´m quite impressed. They actually did something: https://www.facebook.com/ScreenboundPic/posts/pfbid0nZ7SBAF5anMxRfCTZTiXxEYQj5j9py3sdRoYXL4ifHtGnpYmHNjiZ991fxhxqUcVl

I assume it was made by AI like other upscales we see on YouTube and other sites, but it´s something. Now they have to fix the cover and the bonus contents.

Plus, they upgraded the number of discs to 5.

I can see the waxiness of the upscaling, but the color grading has been a dramatic improvement. Content shot on tape tends to look old and desaturated, so it's nice that they got some life back into it.

RB 730

hamburger
drsyn71
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Over on their Facebook page, DVD News Flash posted:

I asked Screenbound about the region coding of their upcoming ROBOCOP: THE SERIES and they finally replied: "PAL region free Blu-Ray release. 4 discs in total."

Jeff Waltrowski
Does the PAL mean that it won’t play in US even if it’s region free?

DVD News Flash
Jeff Waltrowski I've asked them about that. Waiting for reply.

RB 1002

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote

drsyn71 :
"PAL region free Blu-Ray release. 4 discs in total."

They´re still listing 5 disc on their website: https://screenbounddirect.co.uk/product/robocop/

By the way, they changed the cover. Nothing too fancy (I´d do something more elaborate) but it kinda reminds me of the "RoboCop 5" VHS we had there (which has Eden´s RoboCop posing and flames behind him). They didn´t change the "Lisa Madigan" bit, so I guess it´ll be in the final product.

According to their website, it´ll be available in May instead of March, so we´ll have to wait a little bit more for it.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Now there´s a "trailer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=962L4xPlBfI&ab_channel=ScreenboundPictures

It is me or the audio track sounds lower? Not sure if it has to do with speed or tone, but it doesn´t sound "right" (or maybe in Europe we´re used to PAL and this is the correct pitch). Madigan sounds too low if you compare to the German Blu Ray I already own...

As for the images, some look better than others, and there´s a "waxy" feel in some parts. It´d be cool to have a real trailer instead of the opening to see how the color correction worked.

RB 11786

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Now pushed back to June. Wonder why.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
Now pushed back to June. Wonder why.

Yup. I was wondering why some pages listed on June. It was briefly "ready to buy" a few days ago on their website, on May 8th, but it was updated soon. I guess that was programmed.

RB 11786

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Here´s a look at the "extras": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxAgADNNCQ&ab_channel=It%27sVince

It seems the uploader is the guy who worked on these. I found it odd that they put a voice over on a text screen. Since you have a voice over I´d put a quick montage of Robo using the gun instead, but oh well. That guy put EVERY text based extra of the new edition, but no footage of menus or episodes.

RB 11786

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:22 am Reply with quote

I found a review on another forum, and it doesn´t look too promising:

Quote:
It's spread across just 2 discs (which rang alarm bells before I even put the disc in my player).

It sounds good (Stereo audio only) but the picture is all over the place. Some shots look good, some look like vaseline has been smeared across the screen and others look worse than the dvd. Details of people's faces in the background tend to be unintelligible at times. In one particular shot in the second episode, Madigan and Robo are in the foreground with the guy who designed Robocop and the doc that looks after him, in the background. They're talking but it is very hard to make out the details of their faces. I'm not talking wrinkles here, I'm talking that you can barely work out they have a jaw that functions.

It's 1080p, 24hz with stereo audio.

2 discs? Their website says 5 discs. Weird. As for quality, it´s a shame. I´d expect a waxy look, but not to the point to have abstract figures for background characters.

RB 11786

drsyn71
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:40 am Reply with quote

Any news/updates? Anyone have it?

RB 1002

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:38 am Reply with quote

drsyn71 :

Nopes. No real reviews of this (or even the Liberation Hall ones), no screen captures or videos to compare the quality... Nothing.

I´ve read some comments saying the Upscale is really crappy after the Pilot episode. It seems they tried with "The Future Of Law Enforcement" and then just applied the same thing for the rest, and the quality became "unwatchable". I asked a Youtuber who did an "unboxing" of the release about video quality and he didn´t say anything bad about it.

I want to get a newer set of RoboCop: The Series but I can´t decide where to go. It seems the UK one tweaked the colors a little, but the US one has 5 discs; the Liberation Hall was reformatted into widescreen while the Screenbound one was upscaled by AI...

RB 11786

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote

drsyn71 :

A quote from a Blu Ray review:

Quote:
This is not a properly "restored" version of RoboCop: The Series. I don't know which digital restoration tools Screenbound Pictures employed to try to clean up the image but this is a botched effort by the UK label. The episodes may be "DIGITALLY ENHANCED" as the banner proclaims on the front cover but film grain has been zapped from the image. Really the only thing SP got right is preserving the original aspect ratio. The German-based VZ Handels GmbH set of this series remains the best on the market.

So, it seems both the US and UK releases aren´t that good, and the one disc German edition, which is in a crappy SD definition, is the best way to get it Crying or Very sad

RB 11786

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:08 am Reply with quote

I work at a deli and recently we got a big HD TV for the seating area, and we watch stuff on Tubi so lately I have been putting The Series on nonstop. These are the cropped HD versions but I have been really impressed with how good it looks. I may have to reconsider giving a serious rewatch to these HD versions which I initially wrote off because they are cropped. We've run through the full series like four times so far and it all looked pretty good to me.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
I work at a deli and recently we got a big HD TV for the seating area, and we watch stuff on Tubi so lately I have been putting The Series on nonstop. These are the cropped HD versions but I have been really impressed with how good it looks. I may have to reconsider giving a serious rewatch to these HD versions which I initially wrote off because they are cropped. We've run through the full series like four times so far and it all looked pretty good to me.

I´m considering getting the US Blu Ray pack. The UK one, while they had the episodes tweaked, it´s on 2 discs, so I assume they´ll be compressed as hell. At least Liberation Hall put these in 5 discs.

I´ve seen a few widescreen caps from The Series and these looked alright, so maybe it´s the way to go. The UK one is screwed after the pilot, it seems. Quality goes off after the two part one.

RB 11786

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard