New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Interview with Jose Padilha about ROBOCOP remake

Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote

There's much talk about the upcoming ROBOCOP movie by Jose Padilha. In this 8 minute (non-english )video interview Padilha talk, among other things, about his plans for the RoboCop Remake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcs5yCbLCM

TRANSLATION IN THE POST BELOW

RB 5709

Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Just finish the translation, that's what they said about Robocop during the interview: (starts at 3:20 and goes up to 8:21)

Interviewer:

So, you're here just for the Miami film festival ??

Padilha:

No, actually i got some meetings here, about other movies

Interviewer:

Oh really ? How are the Robocop negotiations ?

Padilha:

It is about doing a new movie, and we're working on it at the moment.

Interviewer:

Really ? We received that news only on March 1st but it seems like you've been talking about it for some time, is that correct ?

Padilha:

Yes, we're already working on the screenplay and everything

Interviewer:

I have to say it's a great thing to all brazilians to have someone like you directing Robocop because we know you earned that and you deserve it.

Interviewer:

Robocop has a brazilian director, what you thing about it ? To have that door opened ?

Andre Matias (actor):

It means a lot because it shows other people they can do it so.

Juilo Coutinho (actor):

It's of course an opened door to other brazilian actors and directors..

Alberto Danuzio (actor) :

Being so well succeeded in both Brazil and the USA is something heart-touching..

Interviewer:

I believe its one of your greatest achievements to have such recognition and opportunity, am i right ?

Padilha:

I like to make movies that people like to see and movies that can reach its viewers.
When things start to work it's easier to work, raise money and then comes the recognigtion. I mean, if you love cinema
and want to be a film-maker and make aliving out of it you have to strive because it's not easy.

Interviwer:

This (the movie) is something that can work out really well or... i mean, because there'a a lot of expectations around this, How are your expectations ?

Padilha: I have no concerns about it. I only work on movies when it feels right, when i add something of my own way of portraing things.
I make movies for myself and just look forward to keep its integrity and directing it the best way i can, all the rest doesn't concerns me.

Interviewer: MGM was looking for a global appealing director. Why do you think they chose you ?

Padilha: I don't know. I think they saw my movies and felt there was something there that could bring to the present days this controversal,
yet different, violent and ironic movie which is RoboCop without misrepresenting it. But i'm also doing other projects in Brazil which i love and care as much.

Interviewer:

So, when can we expect RoboCop to come out ?

Padilha:

It's a project i'm developing from the very beginning togheter with Josh Zetumer which is the screenwritter and there's no deadline really. When the screenplay turns out good enough, then will start shooting.

RB 943

ED-209-2013 remake-gun baby-food
POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote

I'd buy that for a Real!!

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
Nash
L-L3

L-L3

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the translation Very Happy

But i've an odd feeling about this project, again i feel a sort kind of Darren Arnofsky's move, strategy, because of these word below.

Padilha: I don't know. I think they saw my movies and felt there was something there that could bring to the present days this controversal,
yet different, violent and ironic movie which is RoboCop without misrepresenting it. But i'm also doing other projects in Brazil which i love and care as much.

Interviewer:

So, when can we expect RoboCop to come out ?

Padilha:

It's a project i'm developing from the very beginning togheter with Josh Zetumer which is the screenwritter and there's no deadline really. When the screenplay turns out good enough, then will start shooting.

btw i think it's also overkil for his career he already made three police movies. and even no Deadline.

i hope i'm wrong Confused

RB 5709

Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote

So guys what do you think can we really expect a ROBOCOP movie by jose Padilha or is this again a sort kind of Aronosky's strategic move to promote his own name for his own independent movies from Jose.

These days we can't trust a single studio or Director any longer.

RB 5709

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the translation Saasouza! Smile

Overall think it sounds promising. While Aronofsky always had arrogance oozing out of his ears whenever he made comments about RoboCop, Jose seems pretty down to earth.

As for the "no deadline", it appears to me that as soon as they have the script ready they can begin shooting the movie, which sounds good to me.

RB 348486

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote

After Padilha was announced as the director of RoboCop i started looking for more info about him and i was surprised by how intelligent and eloquent this guy actually is. I just saw him in "Roda Viva", which is a very respected TV show in brazilian TV and i have no doubts he is more than capable of making a great movie.

Also, Padilha said two things that drawn my attention: First he described Robocop as a different movie, which is something really good to hear because not everyone look at RoboCop like this. Also he said he will not misrepresent the movie, which also very good since it shows he respect the source material.

RB 943

Officer Igor Antunes
Detroit Police | Omnicorp

Sgt-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote

That was just incredible. Thanks again Detective Nash.

As a brazilian, i feel very excited about this new RoboCop approach. I'm a fan since my early years, and i never expected the franchise being rebooted by someone of my country. I wish i could dive into the production and experience it every bit.

Padilha is, as Archive said, much more accessible, and a simplier guy, who understands how cult the film is, and he'll try he's best to stick with the origins.

I really look foward the success of this project, and live it in all esplendor.

RB 1741

DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote

I think, that there is an aspect, that not everyone is aware of in this case: Brazilian director could really spice up "Robocop"'s remake with more relevant social satire, because dystopian elements in this movie are, well, everyday reality in Latin America.

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote

I asked the brazilian news reporter if she could translate the video she said yes Very Happy now she included subtitles for the video, for english tranlation skip to 3:20-7:00.

by the way, yesterday they launched the offical trailer for Elite Squad 2 in english on youtube, seeing this trailer makes me so happy. Now i´m 1000% sure that Jose Padilha is the correct director for the new ROBOCOP movie.

click link for trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7Sm2cJ1do

by the way this movie destroyed Titanic, Avater and alice in wonderland at the boxoffice. in Brazil.

RB 5709

DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote

I watched "The Elite Squad", first part (go to "Post everything you watched" thread for my impressions).

Guys, that would be awesome. This director could give Robo a real edge.

Because social satire made "Robocop" great!

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Robo_1
R-L3

R-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote

It's this bit that gives me a lot of hope:

'I make movies for myself and just look forward to keep its integrity and directing it the best way i can, all the rest doesn't concerns me. '

I'm hoping that when he talks about 'keeping it's integrity' he's talking about the franchise as much as his own.

I have a good feeling about this, and it's a feeling which wasn't quite there with Aronofsky.

For all the trepidation I have about seeing any new film come out bearing the Robocop name, I actually think this could preserve the raw, violent and satirical nature of the first film.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see the script that David Self was working on. His stance on it sounded a lot more promising than Darren's - stuff the prequels - vibe.

(http://movies.about.com/b/2010/02/10/david-self-interview-robocop.htm)

RB 262

Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote

Nash :
I asked the brazilian news reporter if she could translate the video she said yes Very Happy now she included subtitles for the video, for english tranlation skip to 3:20-7:00.

by the way, yesterday they launched the offical trailer for Elite Squad 2 in english on youtube, seeing this trailer makes me so happy. Now i´m 1000% sure that Jose Padilha is the correct director for the new ROBOCOP movie.

click link for trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7Sm2cJ1do

by the way this movie destroyed Titanic, Avater and alice in wonderland at the boxoffice. in Brazil.

You mean, she took my translation and subtitled the video, right ? LOL

RB 943

Neoranger
R-L5

R-L5

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Last time I heard something like that, I was still waiting for that Knight Rider movie... or any game mod in existance.

I don't know the guy and I will place plenty of trust in him to do justice to the project, but I do have to admit "no deadline" means things are way up in the air at the moment. Still, I hope this will come to fruition once it's ready.

RB 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard