New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

What do you prefer: Lewis OR Madigan??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sgt. Reed
L-L2

L-L2

I know how real cops kick ass.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote

To quote Robo1 "Can I have them both?!"
If I had to jump in sack with one of em, I couldn't decide. Id take both even if I had to pay more than a dollar!

But seriously, I prefer Lewis because Madigan kind of dresses like a trucker
and she's too much of a TV character. You know, lame jokes and shit..

I think Lewis had a bit more attitude.

RB 66

sgt-reed the-crow-figure mk-reptile
annmurphy
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Murphy, It's You!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Ann Lewis will always be the best part Nancy Allen ever played, even Peter Weller thought so! Nancy's dad was a cop in real life and I think it helped her role turn out great!
Madigan was good for the tv show, but once she became a Detective, she and Murphy seemed to do there own thing at times. Plus, with the exception of Murphy being reborn as Robocop, Lewis was most likely the only cop to get shot up by Clarence and live to talk about it!!

RB 110

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote

It depends...besides R1, Lewis didn't really do much, unlike Madigan who handled cases on her own in The Series...If it was just R1, it's a tie for me, if it was just R2 and R3 - Madigan.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Scarlett Johansson as the new lewis, or female lead for me. Then I may like Lewis in all her downfalls.

But in general it is hard for me to like the lewis character because she is what she is. But I don't know enough about the series to pick the other girl. So I pick..... Death for both of them and bring in Scarlett. I like all of HER characters. Wink

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Mr.Demise :
because she is what she is.

She is what she is ? Hey you ! Without her would Robo just wander about streets and at the end of the film we would never hear the famous words " Murphyyy" !
So ehm !
But well ! Scarlett is indeed beautiful !

I like both character, Lewis and also Madigan . Of course no one may replace Lewis ! Btw Medigan plays almost the same Lewis role in the Series + she is a detective because that is a series with many episodes so she needs more work around and maybe also better show the character . Of course both Lewis also Madigan are very close and loyal friends to Robo/Murphy.

a bit off .. The actress playing Madigan .. the Yvette Nipar had there really great hair ! Smile

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote

You got a point there Nika. Well, at least we can agree on Scarlett. Wink

RB 9924

Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote

Wow, annmurphy brought up an oldie! But a goodie! This is one I've never commented on...

Lewis, while Murphy's partner before his death, was (God strike me down now) almost useless. Okay, she rescued him from the parking garage, and uttered the words "murphy, it's you".

But (I know I'm going off topic a little bit, but bare with me, I have a point) Even without Lewis showing up and saying anything to Robo, He would still have found out who he was. Let's not forget that the dream was the first glitch in the RoboCop operating system. That was the catalyst for his quest, Lewis just kind of stumbled along and broke his stride.

"But Sean, what about the parking garage?" Yes, I'm getting to that. Now, had Lewis have not ran into Robo and called him by name, chances are good that the two were meant to run into each other again in their present courses. Lewis had witnessed Robo spinning the gun before the dream even happened. Thus planting the small seed of knowledge that RoboCop was Alex Murphy. Therefor, She'd still be just another trigger in Robo regaining some of his memory. And thusly, making it to the parking garage just in time to save Robo from being turned into swiss cheese.

Madigan, on the other hand, was a common foot soldier who wanted to be more. She wanted to be a detective. In the Series Pilot, Madigan was "going up for detective", So she did her homework. Meaning research, on RoboCop, and discovered that he was Alex Murphy. She didn't have the close relationship (starting out anyways) that Lewis had. Madigan didn't know Robo AS Murphy.

Now, while Madigan was a good enough character in the Series, she's less than amazing when it comes to delivering the kind of Balls Lewis had throughout the Franchise. Madigan always seemed to force how much of a badass she WANTED to be. Brilliant detective or not, Madigan doesn't really add up to being the best Robo-partner ever.

Ok, I'm one of those guys that have read all the Marvel Comics issues, and have found that even in the comic, Lewis still kicks more ass than Madigan could ever dream to kick.

Summation: I'm going with Lewis all the way. Madigan, while a good character for a shit-based series, just doesn't add up.

Lewis is the best Partner Robo/Murphy ever had, or will ever have. (Unless Mick Turner turns out to be Lewis' male equivelent).

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote

I like 'em both, though I'd probably give the edge to Lewis overall. Madigan worked alright in the Series, but wasn't original - Indeed, she's mostly the Lewis character in a different wrapper.

Like Sean said, character-wise, one could say Madigan posed more on-screen significance than Lewis, but she did lack actual strength in her character. She never had the same attitude or stoutness that Lewis had, Though that was due to the show itself more than anything.

Lewis of course was the original partner, and who helped Robo find himself again. Lewis was the important next domino to fall in-line with Robo discovering Murphy, and though her role was downplayed significantly in the sequels, she still remained a fairly important and memorable character to support Robo.

That said, I like Demise's thinking, though I'm not entirely sure I'd like to see Scarlett as a Lewis replacement. But her for another leading female character, that would be alright. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote

It was the first scene of Robo the series that put me off Madigan, so Lewis gets my vote!

RB 2649

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
Officer Harvey
Metro West District, Detroit Police Department, OCP

O-L1

Comment: I'm not in a Labor Union. I'm a Police Officer. I Don't Strike.

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Lewis, hands-down. Madigan was based on her in the first place, and was a knock-off. The original gets the vote from me. Nancy Allen was one of the few who could play a tough female character and still be hot doing it.

I always thought the writers did a good job at least in playing off the latent sexual tension between Lewis and Murphy, and we all know IT WAS THERE but they didn't go down the typical route and have Lewis going obviously goo-goo gaga over him. I think the relationship they had and what Lewis did for Murphy, being his emotional anchor (and even possibly vice-versa), was much more intimate and effective. They both loved each other, I think that came across in all three movies in subtle hints in how one was highly-protective of the other.

Murphy and Lewis' last scene together summed that unspoken love aspect of their partnership beautifully. When Lewis managed to get out "Murphy..." just before her passing, it's not much of a stretch to guess what she meant to follow that up with.

RB 25

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote

The problem with Lewis is that she lost her reason for existing after RoboCop 1. While the character was there in the two sequels it served little purpose other than having a established character there. She didn't evolve and could have as easily been replaced by someone else.

In the series Madigan got more to do and evolved in some areas, she got promoted, had drug problems, almost got crippled for life etc.. stuff that made the character grow. Lewis got very little of that and after 3 movies we know pretty much nothing.

Also, Madigan is prettier......

RB 348486

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
Scarlett Johansson as the new lewis, or female lead for me.

RB 348486

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote

And... I love her. That's awesome Archive. Murphy would definately be checkin her out in the shower.

RB 9924

CoboRop
R-L3

R-L3

Comment: No comment..

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Lewis everytime, for the primary reason of, I have never watched the TV series nor ever intend to.

Also, for the record, I think Lewis is (or was) fiiiiiiiit.

RB 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard