RegisterRegister  PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Making my own robo armour out of cardboard!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote

Hi there

I, just liek every other robo fan want the ultimate robo item, the armour, but just like a lot of peaople, dont have a spare few thou to spend on it.

but, i do have time and a creative side Smile

so ive decided to make my own armour out of cardboard, then spray paint it.

my plan is to make tyhe whole thing out of cardboard, which i can easily get from work, and stick it all together using a glue gun (im too impatient to wait for glue to dry and would rather burn my self and get it done quick, robo wouldnt mind the pain so neither do i!) then when its all made, fill in any gapes between sheets of card using the gluegun as a filler (this works surprisingly well) then spray it with silver car paint, adding highlights of blue purple just like on my 18inch necca that im using as a referance.

im gonna make the suit in parts and jhave them all stick together with velcro, ive strated with the helmet. so far ive done the helmet and chin guard, but need to fill in the gaps with glue. i will post up some pics tomorrow just before i paint the helmet.

so far it has taken about 6 hours to make the helmet/chinguard, which isnt bad me thinks Smile

im not going for a super detailed, 100% screen accurate suit, just one that loosk pretty decent, can be worn, and then can be put on a manequin and posed to look double hard!

any tips, tricks advice on making a robo suit, then please do share!

RB 9792

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
AK
DC-L1

DC-L1

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

I'd love to see pics of your wok in progress. Especially since I think a cardboard Robo-suit will look like a bag of shit..

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just being honest. I just hope you'll prove me wrong and post a pic of robo-cardboard-badassness.

Good luck, Brother!

RB 2660

alien-pulse-rifle
Johan
The Goose That Laid The Golden Melon

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote

The biggest problem really is if you will have the time and can commit to such a big project.
A robo cardboard suit HAS been done before so it's not impossible, but it will take A LOT of time.

Check this link out. It leads to a page where a guy shows step by step how he made his suit:

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/2784/robocop3.htm

RB 6233

auto9 remake-gun sunblock5000 robocop-figure4 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop sprite-robocop1 masters-trapjaw
AK
DC-L1

DC-L1

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote

Actually, those pics have gone beyond my expectations as to how a Cardboard Robo-suit can be made...I suppose I lack the imagination to bring something like that to life. Though a bit campy, Robo might actually look a bit cool rendered in cardboard.

RB 2660

alien-pulse-rifle
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Just check this out: http://jonboy2312.deviantart.com/art/Jin-Roh-Kerberos-Panzer-Cop-15630470

Not Robocop related, but a good example of cardboard costume.

RB 513

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Comment: Boob Snortin' and Dicky Boy

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Those guys are quite talented, namely if its all indeed done in cardboard.

RB 723

judge-dredd-lawgiver conan-sword punisher-skull conan-sword2 terminator-skull Rambo-Knife
Darkseid
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Hail to the King, Baby!

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Except for the helmet (which is not bad), the entire suit looks pretty good. I'm impressed that it was made from cardboard and epoxy. 4 years? Now THAT's determination!

One of my Summer projects was to make a life sized cardboard Endoskeleton (except I would use the 1:1 scale vinyl head) but I have no time as I found out so I'll put it off until next year.

RB 0

robocop-figure3 Superman-Chris Reeve LaraCroft
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote

ok, so the helmet is now done, all gaps filled and it has just this minute received its first coat of primer, i will let that dry then fill in any gaps missed.

getting spray paint 2morro and more glue sticks Smile

i looked at them links, the robosuit is awesome, but i dont think i will use plaster coz platser cracks cardboard on its own dont, i may not get the same quality finish, but it will be a lot more durable, which is essential if it is to be worn.

i wud take pics of the hemlet as it is now, but it is soaking wet in its little cardboard house i made to priotect the rest of the room from being turned grey.

from about 2 feet away it looks well good, but close up it loosk a bit... dunno sh1t i guess O_o meh, like i said in my first post, it dont have to be as good as an actual robo suit, just good enough to look cool when worn or wen on a manaquin.

i will put up pics of primered helmet wen its touch dry in an hour or so, altho i did kinda give it a heavy coat, so who knows...

RB 9792

murphy38
OCP1 - L2

OCP1 - L2

Archive Traitor

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote

I hope with all my heart that your project will be reality my friend meathead316,
& Welcome to the RA board,
you have a lot of courage,
I hope soon see the pictures,
if you need detailed or photos please do not hesitate to contact me,
I would gladly you help.

Murphy38 Smile

RB 2340

tiny-cop robocop-head alex-murphy RoboBadge baby-food award
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote

ok so the primer is dry, there are some minor imperfections, but nothing i cant fix :P need more glue before i can finish off the chin guard, ive kept it in the pics tho so you can see what it all looks liek before it gets primered.

anywho, here are the pics:

http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture019kw5.jpg
Best angle me thinks

http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture020mj3.jpg
Side profile

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture022mx2.jpg
Back

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture027ad1.jpg
Close up of some of the detailed parts, let me be the first to say that up this close, they look crap and wont get much neater using cardboard and hot glue, i dont really wanna faff aroud with other materials, i will just have to see how it turns out after i paint it.

your thoughts on my progress so far?

Getting paint tomorro, would go now but halfords dont open til 9ish Sad

One thing im stuck on, the visor, should it be 100% crystal clear, or tinted black? if its clear then im gonna use an old soda bottle, if it needs to be tinted then i dunno... suggestions?

also, i tried using the image tabs [img] [/img] but couldnt get em to work... O_o

RB 9792

RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote

That thing is beastly, built damn well. And I'm sure it'll look even better after some paint thrown on.

As for the visor, I'd tint it black. That way your eyes will stand out less.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

RB 2002

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

thanks, it does look quite menacing i recon Smile

anywho, i got my paint all halfords brands, got grey primer, clear laquer, ford moondust silver, ford purple velvet and nissan light blue. all of the paintsd are metallic and ive put their names down heer incase i finish a can and accidently throw it out then going to halfords to buy more and not knowing which one i used! :P

i also got some "isopon p40 bridges holes and rust" it says its a glass fibre compound, u mix it witha hardener and it goes hard (well duh) iv applied some to a scrap piece of cardboard, shud be set soon, i may use it, i may not, its quite expensive, but only takes 15-30 mins to set so its right down my alley (i am pretty impatient :P)

i have also been playing around with the paints on anotehr scrap piece of cardboard, did a base coat of silver, then added some bits of blue and purple just liek they did on the 18inch necca, wen it drys i will laquere it and post a pic to see what you think of the color scheme.

thats all for now, im gonna go open some windows, all these paint/fibreglass fumes are gonna make me high otherwise O_o

RB 9792

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote

hello again, 15-30 minutes indeed...

stuff still aint completely dry, maybe i didnt use enough hardener, its dry ish and it looks and feels pretty good, so good infact that id be happy using this stuff for the shole suit, but, my budget wont let me do this.

just gave my helmet a quick spray of silver. looks... erm... not quite as good as id like... the color is spot one, but im not too keen on the texture, its just the top opf the head where ive had to kind jigsaw picece it all together i dont like the rest i can live with, maybe after a few coats and some laquere it will look ok.

if not, i dunno what i will do, maybe smooth it off sith paper mache? (but it take soooooooooo long to frickin dry!!!) or strips of tape (tape is smooth right, wudnt want it to peel off tho)

while the silver is drying i will conduct some tests using tape.

also, laquere almost dry on test sheet to show u color scheme Smile

RB 9792

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Awesome start!!! P.T. for you!!!
cant wait to see the finished the product

RB 105643

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard