New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Reboots and You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

The horror...
What Marvel needs to reboot is Captain America. The old one was just plain awful! They said they were making a new one, but I haven't heard anything on it.

CREDITS 3040

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Young_Jedi
Saviour of the Universe

O-L5

Comment: I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Here's what Marvel's cookin'

Spider-Man 4 (2011)
Ant-Man (2010)
Nick Fury (2010)
Doctor Strange (2010)
Silver Surfer (2009)
Thor (2010) (pre-production)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men Origins: Magneto (2009)

CREDITS 16

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/08/11/rumor-billy-bob-thornton-as-freddy-krueger/

this is crap haha

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote

I still support my point, that Hollywood have been drained from ideas.

Smile

CREDITS 174

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote

DoktorNo :
I still support my point, that Hollywood have been drained from ideas.

Smile

Well, that's already a given. This year alone, it's been mostly sequels to stuff we've already seen. And seems like next year, there's gonna be more with stuff adapted from other stuff.

CREDITS 409

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Apparently they are working on rebooting Superman. Again.

http://joblo.com/superman-to-reboot

Personally i don't really mind, "Superman Returns" was rather tame and not very interesting. The whole deal with superman having a son was crrrap.

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote

I didn't think returns was that bad, but do we really need to reboot it AGAIN? How many times can we tell the origin story in a different way? Does that mean we're getting another Superman actor as well?

CREDITS 409

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
Psyburn
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote

Hulks reboot bad or not, it washed the bad taste out of my mouth from the 03 piece of trash. And was pretty damn good too.

same with Batman Begins (still hated it though) after two horrible sequels that practically killed the movie franchise.

I'll say this though, if the movie is good, then it really doesn't matter if the origin is changed. Would you rather watch the same origin be told again and again without some slight of modification? If thats the case then there's no point in watching new versions of old stories.

Besides, most of the old franchises are better to watch than most of the newer "original" projects. That Matrix type feel only comes every once in a century, and so far I don't recall any "new" franchise doing better than any of the old franchise reboots or adaptations of older media. Nostalgia is crack for people who shun newer works of fiction

CREDITS 7

protozoan
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: time doesn't heal all wounds said mr. bellybutton

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote

all these awesome films i love that people hate so much. sigh. people are so hard to please. in 20 years time these movies will be cult classics and people will have nothing but good things to say about them in these forums. thats usually how long it takes right? oh well, meanwhile i've got all these movies to ENJOY. bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha fools!!

CREDITS 431

dvd-20th Doom
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote

Reboots.

You gotta love 'em. :roll:

How many films/franchises/etc have been or are about to be re-booted, or 're-invented'?

Some I can live with, but for the most part, they've brought up old shit that had no reason whatsoever to screw with today, let alone start all over and make it's own universe.

I mean think about it - Predators, A new Nightmare/Elm Street film, Rob Zombies Halloween, RoboCop of course, as well as GI Joe, A-Team, Short Circuit, Romancing The Stone, and many others I've done forgotten now.

Most of it unnecessary. And almost none of the ones they have done are even worth the energy it takes to press the 'Play' button on your DVD player's remote.

The new Halloween for instance. Big load of shit. I saw it again the other day, and it's no better. In fact I think it's worse.

I think Doktor and Archive both have it right. In Doktor's case, Hollywood's fresh out of anything fresh. Nobody wants to put in the effort and be creative enough to give us anything new, or somewhat new, or even give us a remake that even has even a halfway decent slant to it. Instead they either show almost the same exact thing, or do something crazy, go completely against the original source material and just fuck everything up.

And like Archive said, the directors and even others want to just do it and leave their own 'stamp' on the film and it's related base/franchise, and damn whether it actually pays decent homage to it's base material. A good example seems to be Aronofsky with our own Robo reboot.

Now I was originally going to post this in the 'Movie Rant' topic, but I found this and decided to give it a, uh... reboot? tongue

But honestly, this shit ain't cool or funny no more. Not after 5 or so years. I mean goddamn, what other crap are they gonna redo next? The Shining? Beverly Hills Cop? Blade Runner? Commando? Jesus..

I know there have been 'remade' films over time in one way or another, but for the last half-decade, this shit has gotten beyond ridiculous.

I keep wondering how it happened, where it all started? Probably somewhere between Star Wars prequels, Batman Begins, T3 and all those chump ass Marvel comic films.

Bah, I don't know, this shit is just getting to me. How much more of it are we gonna have to contend with?

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote

Ironically, the only movie so far made, that is not based on previous franchise or is not sequel/reboot/whatever is James Cameron's "Avatar".

And it borrows heavily from "Dances with Wolves" or "Playing on the field of God".

CREDITS 174

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote

Well there have been a few other non-reboot films like District 9, Inglourious Basterds and such but that's my fuckin' point - The few remotely original films that come out just seem to be wayy overshadowed by all the other remade crap.

Bah, just annoys the hell out of me now.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote

I should said: "few very successful movies".

BTW: I watched recently reviews of Star Wars prequels made by RedLetterMedia, and its clear that Lucas had gone off the rails.

CREDITS 174

Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Well there have been a few other non-reboot films like District 9, Inglourious Basterds....

...Bah, just annoys the hell out of me now.

Actually, Stan, "Inglorious Bastards" is a remake! I soon found this out after visiting the video store.

But your point still stands, Hollywood has basically run out of ideas, and is either rehashing the same shit that's been doine 50 years ago or earlier, or completely fucking up really good recent ones.

I actually heard they were going to remake Thelma and Louise. Can you believe that bull-khaky?

With the few exceptions where certain movies NEEDED to be remade (Ang Lee's Hulk was pure shit IMHO, and the newer one did a better job of telling a story while keeping the Origin as a footnote in the credits), It seems that anytime one of these Hollywood execs visits the video store, they see a moive that THEY think could be better with today's technology. The real Problem is, it ain't.

How many fucking times are they going to remake a Robin Hood movie? Holy Shit! There have been over 20 RE-envisionings of the same dumbass story over and over again. Rob from the rich and give to the poor. Yes, we know. He was a hero in his own right. But with Russel Crowe now playing Robin Hood, expect to see flying mead cups and cell phones! All with terrible acting. Now, IMHO, "Prince of Theives" with Kevin Costner was pretty much it for me. And it's good to see Alan Rickman as the asshole Nottingham.

Hollywood is dry, and the only safe bet for a good movie now lies with Independant movie houses (ie District 9, Bottle Rocket, Shaun of the Dead -albeit not an original film idea, but an original way to approach it). At least they have no rights to other properties, and are thereby FORCED to tell a compelling story with a minimal budget. But those, like any other movie out there, can be hit or miss.

And don't get me started on Love Stories or chick-flicks. They're all pretty much the same formula from film to film. Girl finds boy, boy does something to upset girl, boy wises up, girl forgives boy, happy ending (even if the ending is bad, like the guy dying). That's another example of the same idea forced down your throat over and over again.

What happened to the days when Hollywood actually bought scripts from writers? Now they all just go to the video store, or remember their favorite films and want to do them.

Nostalgia is one thing, but fucking with what's there is different. Don't they dare even think about remaking ThunderCATS on any level. It was fine the way it was.

Now, I'm not totally against remakes, or reboots, or whatever. But one question needs to start crossing these Execs minds....

"Wouldn't this just work better as a sequel?"

But in the case of Marvel and DC....

Batman Begins and TDK were good films. The Hulk and The Incredible Hulk, Just ok. But based off comics. And the trick there is that comics do this all the time. They have be rebithing characters all the time. How many fucking times will Cap's sidekick Bucky come back to life and ultimately die again? Just for the sake of story.

Comics generally start over anytime a story has run it's course. And thesse companies are starting to think that certain movies (based on comics) have run their course, IE Batman 89 - 97.

I can forgive these comic company turn movie-houses for that. Comics can be tricky to turn into movies. There's usually a large fanbase before a certain character even sees celluloid, Ie Elektra, DareDevil, Iron Man.

And Superman? Shit, that idea as well has been remade and rebooted over and over again, since it's inception. From Radio show, to theater serials, to movies, to TV with George Reeves, back to movies with Chris Reeves, back to TV (Adventures of Lois and Clark, Superboy), back to movies (Returns, which took the last two Sups movies out of continuity). Sometimes, it's just not perfect. But in the act of perfecting it, they only fuck it up more. All I have to say is, Thank Christ DC/Warner decided NOT to hire Tim Burton! .

There's my rant on this subject.

CREDITS 287

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard