New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

My impressions after watching Robocop 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I too did appreciate the pick-back-up of the Delta City element, though at the end of the day it just seems like another shameless R1 link. Maybe that's too harsh though. Bah. That said -

artuditu :
Other than that it has been discussed many times what's wrong with R3, lots of things. I would point again the tone, which is very contradictory, for the most part of the film is very pessimistic and even dark, people expelled from their homes, a girl that lose her parents, refugees in churches, Robo gets his memory almost erased, OCP executives killing themselves, Lewis getting killed, we even have a teenager prositute because her father is unemployed... Seriously any of that is suitable for children AT ALL.

But as I said the tone is very contradictory, we get from time to time funny dialogues and action clearly aimed at children, and everything it gets too flashy and fantastic with gunarm, jetpacks, ninja robots... The little girl genius that saves everyone with her computer, including Robo, etc. etc. There is no point in mentioning all again.

Indeed, and I only quote this for emphasis. Far from the amazing balance of the original, we get his thing where balance seems like a foreign concept. Bah, the price of a PG-13 rating I suppose. Sounds like that same problem can be pointed out with the rebootmake as well, but again, that's another thing. :roll:

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote

I knew that the idea of a more human Robo wouldn't be met with welcome arms, but I'll stand by it. I brought it up and even I can't picture Weller in the RoboSuit acting like normal Murphy. But cold, nigh-emotionless Robo can only do so much; there's a point where being badass gets boring and the human beneath needs to be clear.

Yes, the remake tried to do that and failed, but gunfights and music aren't bad ideas just because the remake failed at those too!

You can backtrack and have Murphy wonder whether he's a man in a machine or a machine haunted by a dead man, or you can push forward and have Murphy become dominant to the point where, for brief moments, even he can forget he's trapped within that shell.

But stagnation isn't a viable option to me.

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote

I showed my girlfriend both RoboCop 1 and 2 of which she hasn't seen the first one in years and never has seen the 2nd one. Enjoyed them though. I couldn't show her the 3rd one. It's fucking embarrassing to watch. Robot ninja's, little hacker girl, and PG stupid shit. I can't sit through it. All i showed her of it was lewis's death scene, and how damn underplayed the scene was with Burke looking like he's fucken smiling the entire time and showing no damn emotion.

Murphy just lost the last hold on humanity he had. Oh well, off with the rebels he goes. Fuck that movie. It doesn't exist.

RB 495

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote

Like I said, I wouldn't mind a bit more 'human' to Robo, but even a bit too much just muddies the waters and can get frustrating.

That said, that scene was a real pain to watch, especially with the rather good buildup with standing down McDaggett and Robo's Prime Directives flashing, all to then see what Meph just described.. Bah.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Mephisto :
Fuck that movie. It doesn't exist.

My sentiments exactly.

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Relatively new fan to RoboCop, so I had the benefit of having all three movies available at the same time. The first movie? I can't really compare it to anything, it's in a league of its own. The second? I actually liked it as a sequel. You're kinda required to ignore the plot inconsistencies with the first film, but the RoboCop action (including some of the greatest stop motion IMO) was phenomenal. The third just didn't deliver anything. The story of RoboCop 2 was a bit of a mess, but it was all in good fun. RoboCop 3 was just painful to watch.

RB 730

hamburger
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote

^ I think I like this guy.

As for the topic, well, this man mostly said it. In my Robo movie marathon it actually was a chore to go through R3 right after the first two, just was. Yes I do see how it is structured better as a film than R2, problem is there just ain't much in that structure. My long-held outlook has not changed - R3 remains a film with RoboCop in it, rather than a RoboCop film as R2 was.

RB 52679

RoboBrand87
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: Come quietly or there will be... trouble.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I like Robocop 3. My love for Jill Hennessy is the main reason, but I also dig the score, Burke as Robocop and the homages to the original film.

RB 109

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I love Robocop 3. I'm sure all the reasons have been stated before too, but here's five reasons to love it:

1) Sgt. Reed gets a lot of screen time and has his finest moment at the end.
2) The Delta City plot line, which started in the first movie, comes to a climax.
3) Nancy Allen is great as Lewis as always, especially in the powerful death scene.
4) The gunarm. Not everyone likes its application, but its an iconic part of Robocop lore.
5) Frank Miller's Rehab concept is great for Robocop, and John Castle's MCDaggett is a great villain.

An honorable mention to the commercial for Johnny Rehab, which is probably my favorite of all the fake Robocop commercials.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Kamdan
R-L1

R-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote

I can recall that even at a young age of five, I could appreciate the dark humor of the first two films and any sort of sympathy came from RoboCop himself. When it came to the third film, I could tell something was off with our focus shifted to the Nikko loosing her home and parents. As I grew up, I began to see all of the Nazi Germany overtones and thought there could have been something worthwhile if they hadn't tried to appeal to the kiddie market they were aiming at with me. All they needed were toys, which they did supply, and that's all I cared about. Plus, Lewis' death was a cop out, since she substained the same damage at the end of RoboCop 1, but she survived since she's a tough cop.

RB 137

RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote

I have to agree with Pimp. Robo 3 is a great RoboCop story. Would it have been on par with the first movie if it were R-rated? Yes. Would it have been better with Weller in the suit? Yes. All in all, I think the tone of the movie sets the mood for a dark picture which the first movie set as well.

Kamdan makes a good point about Lewis' death as well. I was never happy with it myself but it made for a powerful catalyst for Murphy to join the rebels. Without that push, he may not have been so inclined to do so. We do get to see a little more depth (though not much) in Murphy and Lewis' relationship. By this point, they have been partners for about 5-6 years (according to some versions of the script) and it shows. Murphy disobeys an order to come to her aid and they even know personal details about each other showing they have discussions of a personal nature beyond just their work. They are partners and friends, something we didn't see much in the previous movies. In the end, they had even both watched the other die - a VERY intimate and personal moment I think. They obviously care about each other in ways we had only previously seen in the comics.

The gunarm and flight pack, while not popular with most fans, show us that there is continued development on RoboCop by OCP and that they are continually trying to make him better (especially after the Cain/Robocop 2 incident. Interchangeable parts make him more versatile across a wide range of applications beyond simple law enforcement. My wife calls it his "riot gear".

For all it's flaws, RoboCop 3 has at its core a good story which ties up several loose ends in Robo's story and that of OCP as well as Lewis, Reed, and even Johnson to a point. It may not have been executed in the right way, but to me it ties up the story pretty well. I think Robo vs Terminator fits perfectly after it (and it was meant to).

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote

I think at some point we all have wanted to like R3 tongue1

Now my question is, those of you who still like it, how would you rate it out of 10?

I can like or enjoy movies I find very flawed, but that wouldn't mean I find them good. R3 has interesting things and moments, no doubt, but the flaws and bad moments are so appalling I could never argue more than a 5 out of 10 without feeling embarrassed Laughing

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote

^ I'd give a 6 or maybe a bit higher myself, if only because the good elements that are there are quite good - In terms of structure R3 is done well and has several good elements as pointed out that I have to concur with. But indeed that alone a good film does not make. And R3 has bad elements that are really bad and so it's not enough of a counter for me either.

While it has a good story, a lot of it really doesn't feel so much RoboCop to me, that combined with the whole contradictory watering-down, and toning-down and, well - neutering - of the whole thing is what results in my long-standing 'film with RoboCop in it, not a RoboCop film' point, and why it loses to R2 as my second-best. But it's not the worst thing for sure - I'd rate it better than RemakeCop, and definitely PD for sure.

I more-or-less agree with all of Pimps points yet interestingly one thing I note in there is the lack of anything about RoboCop himself. Not that I'm saying the RoboCop component is necessarily lacking or that Pimp is implying that, but I think it's in a way telling that one of the most positive points for a Robo film ain't Robo himself.

That said I do like very much Reed's character getting to shine in R3, it's probably my most favored aspect in R3. Reed kicked some ass, that was cool as shit. Smile Lewis' death I'm mixed about, leaning to dislike. I agree it added some impetus to Robo's fight against OCP/Rehabs but still think it was as said a cop-out and unnecessary. Allen of course still acted great though, this is certainly true. I too liked bringing back Delta City as well, correcting what I feel was a misstep in R2. And of course I like the gunarm, perhaps with some reservations but still. Hennessy was nice and I liked having some Pouledouris music, reused and cheesifed in spots though it was.

As for Robo himself, make no mistake, I will never say Burke did badly. If I ever did in the past, that was wrong. He worked with what he had to work with and do so quite well. That said, some aspects of his performance lacked considerably, enough to where it counted against him and reinforced a 'doesn't fit' stigma after Weller. Mostly in delivery of lines, and expressions - Much of that I'm sure is script and direction faults but still, well, Burke ain't Weller, and there's not really any way around that. I think Richard Eden did better in this regard, honestly. Still, again, Burke did fine. But Peter Weller IS RoboCop, end of (Sorry, Eden. tongue).

Even with all this I can mostly agree that getting rid of the watering down and returning it closer to the tone and atmosphere of R1 and R2 (R-rating, essentially) would have made it much better - An R-rated R3 would probably surpass R2 in all honestly, much as I enjoy and appreciate R2.

RB 52679

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote

R3 is like comfort food. You know it's no good for you but you can't help it when you want some Robo in an easy and generic fix. I love just slipping this movie on when I need some Robocop but don't want to get too involved. R1 and R2 really draw you in whereas R3 you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard