New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote

The movie just looks pretty damn hokey to me and I'm not sure if I'll get past that. But I try not to judge a film on 2 someodd minutes of footage. :roll:

Now I don't see what all the fuss is about, then again I ain't followed it much (Read - none) so I could be missing something. tongue Hype is always annoying though.

Though I don't think he's done much anything in a while, Cameron being on it more-than-likely ain't a bad thing - Archive put it, he usually delivers.

Anyway, get me when the damn thing comes out, then we'll talk.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
The movie just looks pretty damn hokey to me and I'm not sure if I'll get past that. But I try not to judge a film on 2 someodd minutes of footage. :roll:

It really just looks like "The Adventures of the Tall Blue People" to me.

I do think the trailers that they are showing are probably just misrepresenting the actual film badly. I'm sure it has a lot more depth to it than that.

I really like Cameron, but I don't think he's gonna get any money out of me for this one.

Not my kind of film.

By the way, those blue folks do not look like a realistic living being to me at all.

They scream Cg. They might has well be Smurfs.

CREDITS 21

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote

As much as I like True Lies, and find Titanic a decent teenager girly entertainment, Cameron hasn't made anything great since T2, and that makes for almost 18 years. Also great films in total, three: T1, T2 and Aliens. T2 wasn't original, it just improved with a great budget the genius T1 formula.

So... I have to be a bit skeptical, Cameron doesn't really have a long trustful career, he is a proved good entertainer but not a proved master piece maker as many people think of him.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote

^ I was disappointed that Cameron directed Titanic, but I don't like the movie itself, so maybe I'm biased on that point. :roll:

True Lies was good. I'm surprised you didn't mention The Abyss, artu, though maybe it's not 'great' like those other movies. I personally liked it a lot, though.

I also enjoyed his series 'Dark Angel'. Again, I won't say it's great, but it's not that bad. I really wish it went on longer, I'd like to think it had some potential.

But still, I understand your point - even if you want to regard True Lies and Titanic, it's been years since they've been out, too. That ain't that unreasonable a concern - the fact it's been a while since he's been involved in a major film.

Still, I'd like to think he has plenty enough in him to helm something that won't turn out being total crap, or even fairly crap. Nothing he's done has been downright bad, at least not in my estimation.

Again, I just ain't jumping to any opinions yet, I'll wait 'til I watch it.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote

Despite what anyone thinks about Titanic as a movie, it WAS a huge success. Cash, awards and so on. It was a well crafted movie with a lot of work and thought put into it. Personally i liked the movie, but i know a lot of people hate it just for the romance crap, and sure it could have been better with a few aliens thrown in but generally it was a perfectly fine flick. It might not be your type of movie, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

Bottom line though, I'm sure most can agree that it was a far from a half-assed movie and that is something that Cameron always brings to the table. Avatar will be interesting in SOME way, even if the plot turns out to be crap.

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :

True Lies was good. I'm surprised you didn't mention The Abyss, artu, though maybe it's not 'great' like those other movies. I personally liked it a lot, though..

Ah True Lies, I remember going with a group of buddies to see that years ago when it was in theaters.

I also remember all of us simultaneously poping a bone during the Jamie Lee Curtis strip/dance scene. Jeans were a bit uncomfortably tight in that row of seats I tell ya.

As we all left the theater, first thing said was, "How about that dance scene?"

Yup. It was something alright.

CREDITS 21

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote

Titanic was not only a huge success, it was the HUGEST in history, nearly doubling the second one.

Said that, you can see its average rating in imdb for example, or most film web sites to see that once the great surprise passed, the film is not considered at all a very great film, rather a good entertainment at the best, nor it's never mentioned in serious Top history rankings. And most Cameron fans rarely would put it among his best films.

Abyss I know some people love it, not my case, but we can agree it's at least an interesting and different film.

But yes, my point is he has made 3 really undisputed GREAT films (undisputed at least for a mainstream action/sci-fi audience point of view). Only one of those is truly original (T1), though Aliens deserves a lot of praise how they improved, conceived and expanded Alien universe. T2 was the last great, 18 years ago.

That's what some people can't see when they talk of Cameron like a God that has never failed its audience and almost all his films are masterpieces (I don't care about Piranha 2, or even Dark Angel). I bet those people didn't expect Avatar some months ago to be just at True Lies or Titanic level, while now many would be happy enough if that's finally the case.

On the other hand, more than 10 years without making a film should have given him plenty of time to think a great plot and screenplay with great characters, if that is true I don't see it anywhere in the trailers.

Yes, it's just a trailer. But it's enough to me to be skeptical. Some people point the theory that the film should be very different from the trailer to be good, so the trailer is a deliberate misleading half-fake edit that hides the true greatness of the film, and the distributors and Cameron would be so confident of the film success and potential that they can do such a weird and riskful marketing campaign. That can be true, but sincerely I hardly believe it.

But I'm ready to be totally wrong, I will go to watch it.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote

anythings gotta be better than transformers 2

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote

^ Well shit, folks, how can you argue with that? tongue

CREDITS 2304

Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote

I saw it. It was good.

The most original film ever made? No.

Basically it was exactly "dances with wolves". With aliens.

The method in which the story was delivered and presented was just great. About 97% CGI, but after a while your brain stops telling you "it's all fake don't believe it" and you're just along for the creative output that Cameron and his crew put together.

I definitely saw visual cues to aliens, the abyss, and titanic all through out it.

Bottom line, fucking epic.

Great and subtle use of 3D and even though the story wasn't as intricate and diverse as the time put into all of the CGI/visuals, I walked away feeling satiated.

I don't see how this film is not going to get some sort of award or mention for it's amazing visuals (art production wise). It definitely raised a few bars somewhere.

The fact that I had the most intense shrooms trip a week before and felt a complete awe, respect, and connection with the earth helped me understand the film's "morals" even more.

I would see it again but I don't want to pay 13 bucks for another ticket. Granted it's 2 hours and roughly 40 minutes and completely epic, I might sacrifice the dough to watch it again. In 3D of course.

CREDITS 627

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote

Folks, don't forget about French GCI movie "Immortel (ad vitam)", wehere only a few roles were played by living actors. I watched it, and GCI there looked fake. I hope I could watch "Avatar" soon, and compare it to this.

In the meantime: Merry Christmas!

CREDITS 174

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
protozoan
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: time doesn't heal all wounds said mr. bellybutton

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote

well i saw avatar last night. it was fucking amazing! one of the best experiences at the cinema ever for me. i don't know why people here are saying the 3D was subtle? the new real-d is incredible and more 3 dimensional than anything that has come before! it had some cheesy parts in it but i think the character's were more involving so for me it made the cheesy parts more credible. i don't know what planet i'm living on here but this new 3D has got me really excited about going to the movies in the future. also, take that illegal downoaders! fuck yeah!

CREDITS 431

dvd-20th Doom
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote

I watched, and had a great time.

the dialogue is flat. But thats just Cameron spreading himself thin. Which he does with every movie he makes.

Its a wonderful movie with amazing facial CGI. I went in able to believe it and the world and really enjoy the film.

as I said before his writing is sort of flat. and a PG13 sadly means nothing really brutal or gory ever happens which makes the action sequences a bit cartoony.
Its been along time. (since starwars) that a movie has kept me so captivated in such a childlike manner.

thumbs up.

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote

I wached it.

My God.

This.

Is.

Avesome.

Visual.

Experience.

Ever.

Made!

The story is good, but full of cliches. E.g. choppers over jungle reminded me Vietnam War, and Na'vi are irritatebly similiar to Native Americans.

BTW: some people are a really no-brainers. Conservatives in US of A had called this movie "anti-american" and "unhuman". My God, did they really get the story? Propably they would see a movie, where Na'vis are massacred, and greed and stupidity is glamorized.

CREDITS 174

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard