New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Archive interview with Rob Williams - new Robo comic writer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote

RoboCop teaming up with other comic characters and robo still searching for his lost humanity? Read Rob Williams answers as the Archive talk to the new RoboCop writer from Dynamite Comics.

Issue 1 is released late January 2010.

RoboCop has been subject to much abuse along the years with bland TV series and silly animated shows. Why do you think it has been so difficult to make new serious RoboCop stories that doesn't make fun of the character? Was it difficult to write a Robo story and not have it turn out... silly?

Oh, I don't know, I think a degree of silly is probably healthy. There's plenty of comedy in the original movie. It's as much a satire as it is an action movie. It's all about getting the balance right, which I hope we've done. I do think though that it's important not to make fun of the central character. The name Robocop may be fairly silly in essence but there's a man inside that suit - Officer Murphy. If you don't find the humanity in the central character and respond to his hopes and fears, then you're in trouble.

Some years ago RoboCop did battle with The terminator in a pretty successful comic crossover title. What are your thoughts on RoboCop teaming up with other comic characters like Darkman, Ash and so on? Would that work with RoboCop or just cheese it up too much?

There's no reason why that can't work, it just depends on who he'd be teaming with and how easy and organic the concept of the team-up seems to the reader. If you can virtually hear the crowbar when you're justifying why Robocop is unexpectedly meeting up with Batman/Darth Vader/Newman from Seinfeld, then that comic would probably be doomed from the off. Good writing can probably make it work, within reason.

The ending to RoboCop1 is considered a "happy ending" although technically Murphy has nowhere to go. The only good thing that happened is that Murphy now remembers who is is. How do you address this in the new comic? Is Robo a happy camper or still a poor soul trapped in metal body?

He's a poor soul trapped in a metal body. Absolutely. The guy got his limbs blown off and was left for dead and then had his body experimented on. He's lost his family, the ability to feel another human being. He's a horror show. He may be a far more balanced Murphy when we join him - he's accepted his role as a cop in the Detroit Police Department - but when you're looking for the thing a character wants more than anything, that's not difficult to work out where Murphy's concerned.

The marvel comic put a lot of effort on emotional "human" scenes while the Dark Horse titles choose to focus on action. What is your mix in this new comic? Will Robo still search for his humanity while blowing shit up?

Absolutely. I'm not really interested in telling a story where we couldn't care less for the central character's hopes and fears. Stuff does get shot and blown up. A LOT, but you've got to actually care about the guy we're following through this story. That said, if this was pages and pages of Murphy going "boo hoo, my family" I think readers would run for the hills. Again, it's all about getting the balance right.

In you story, what does the general public think Robocop is? Do they think he's a pure robot, or a guy wearing a suit of armor?

I don't think they particularly care, to be honest. In our story the streets of Old Detroit are in an even worse state than they were in Verhoeven's movie. The economy's screwed, shops are shutting, there's no money to buy food, crime's at an apocalyptic level. Society is crumbling. Robocop is, to the public, just another cop, I think. He's the least of their concerns.

Did any of you touch on the idea of Robocop as a Christ symbol at all? Supposedly that's what drew Verhoeven to the original film. Are there any biblical allusions in the comic?

I saw that on the Making Of documentary on the DVD an thought it a somewhat eccentric view. You can see what Verhoeven's getting at though. Murphy's killed and then resurrected. Not sure about the rest of the Christ story though. I think, if you've seen Verhoeven's movies, you'll appreciate that they can be a little out there. That's what makes him such a unique voice - his being bonkers made Robocop the movie it was. I can't say there's Biblical allusions in our story.

There's some debate if the "Old man" is a good or bad guy in RoboCop1. What is your view on this and will he appear in the comic?

Ah, that would be telling. He seems vaguely kindly, doesn't he? But anyone would compared to Dick Jones. And you don't get to be in charge of a company like OCP without a degree of ruthlessness. He fired Jones pretty swiftly and brutally, didn't he?

** Coming next: Interview with Dynamite comics.
Can we expect crossovers? Will they release all the old comics in a near future? Stay tuned!

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Nice interview, Archive, well done! And next an interview with Dynamite, cool!

Did you get a privilieged sneek preview of any more artwork or story?

This series sounds like it's really on track!

I'm still hoping for no crossovers!
Robo to me is a one man show, put him with someone else and the focus has gone. Or to me it signifys they have run out of Robo ideas or they want to cash in on their other characters!
Though I did enjoy RvsT, as Robo was the main good guy focus! But that has been done now, what more can be added?

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote

Great interview, Archive, those are all pretty good questions.. I like Williams' responses for the most part. I'm glad he's trying to emphasize balance in the story elements and so on. Sounds pretty good.

Now, I'm undecided about a crossover with some other character - it could be a fun change of pace at some point. I understand Edd's concerns though.

I doubt a crossover will happen for a while, if at all, so I'm not worried much either way on that point.

Again, great interview, and I look forward to the next. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote

very fun interview. nice work

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote

Good interview. I like where he's headed with this. I could be down with the crossovers...it just depends who.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Philip17
And the Masters of the Universe

L-L2

Comment: Its a good day to die!

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote

Finaly some good new about our hero Very Happy

It is great to see that his opinion is similar to ours Very Happy

When duty calls; you pay the price!
Join today!

RB 537

sgt-reed Masters-Skeletor Masters-Sword SW-Imperial
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Wow... Awesome! This is fuckin sweet! How did this interview come about? Did you contact them or did they contact you?

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
How did this interview come about? Did you contact them or did they contact you?

They contacted me actually. We're discussing contests and stuff at the moment. Hopefully we can get some cool things going when it gets near the release of issue 1.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Hey good news ! I cannot wait to know more !tongue

Also thanks for the interview .. You asked the right and good questions .. so now we know probably everything what we wanted to know !

Also is good to know they are preparing really good thing with old good Robocop very close to the first two films !

thanks guys !

RB 4166

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Great interview. It looks like the guy really knows what he's doing and that's what we're all hoping for I guess.
Can't wait for the comic. And contests, huh? Sounds fine to me!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote

Archive :
RoboDemise :
How did this interview come about? Did you contact them or did they contact you?

They contacted me actually. We're discussing contests and stuff at the moment. Hopefully we can get some cool things going when it gets near the release of issue 1.

Well that means that they went up a notch in my book. This could be the beginning of a fruitful relationship for both parties involved. They'll benefit because everybody here will buy their shit, and we'll benefit maybe by getting inside info and, like you said, contests.

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
Archive :
RoboDemise :

Well that means that they went up a notch in my book. This could be the beginning of a fruitful relationship for both parties involved. They'll benefit because everybody here will buy their shit, and we'll benefit maybe by getting inside info and, like you said, contests.

Cool, so they could be perusing the site themselves? Yeah, it is great they are taking the fan base seriously! I would give Dynamite a PT for that, if they were on the site!

Contests and stuff? Oooooh that is excting! Eagerly waiting more info...

RB 4892

Ed-260
jamarmiller
;

<font color=102457>;<font color=C0D9D9>

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote

cant wait for this book to come out, really looking forward to reading Robo again

RB 1344

murphy38
OCP1 - L2

OCP1 - L2

Archive Traitor

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Very good news really,
nice Work Archive Wink

Murphy38. mr green

RB 2354

tiny-cop robocop-head alex-murphy RoboBadge baby-food award
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard