New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Pepakura RoboSuit: Helmet and Collar Available!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SiR-ROUND
ABC WARRIOR

OCP3 - L3

Comment: Oh my god! They killed Kinney!

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Ehm, unfolding?

RB 3346

judge-dredd judge-dredd-lawgiver judge-dredd-abcwarrior RoboCain-v2 terminator-endo terminator-skull evildead-book2 klf-album1
unheard
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote

unfolding is the parts you see on the right hand side that will be printed on A4 paper.

RoboTrap

great work cant wait for more.

RB 35

RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote

SiR-ROUND :
Ehm, unfolding?

Yeah, unfolding in Pepakura... it's how you print out the 3D model as a 2D pattern on cardstock, so you can cut/fold/glue the model together, and then resin, fiberglass and bondo the hell out of it for wearable armor. That's how all of the guys in the 405th make their Master Chief armor, and how I plan on making my RoboCop suit. I covered it in the OP. Laughing

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote

Still building the helmet, but thought I'd get some critiques on the arms. Please ignore the placeholder gauntlets. While the basic forms are there, they're definitely not ready for unfolding.

I need to clean up the cuff and add the vent on the inside edge, but aside from adding a lip to the openings on the upper arm, I think this is complete. Anyone see anything amiss? I really don't want to publish something inaccurate.

RB 13970

SiR-ROUND
ABC WARRIOR

OCP3 - L3

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Looks great.

You really got a good pep talk!

RB 3346

judge-dredd judge-dredd-lawgiver judge-dredd-abcwarrior RoboCain-v2 terminator-endo terminator-skull evildead-book2 klf-album1
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote

Final arms. Vent added to lower arm cuff, center split on upper arm cleaned up a bit, edge lips added. The outside elbow joint cover has been cleaned up as well, while the inside elbow cover has had a few polys removed for ease of build.

The only thing left for me to do is add a ledge on the inside of the lower arm cuff for the lower half of the outside elbow cover to join to, and that's simply a matter of cutting and pasting.

Please, if you see anything off, tell me!

Blowup view. The black cuff ring is a separate piece to help during the bondo stage. On the original suit this piece was actually an acrylic ring, and one of the only pieces of the suit (along with the shoulder rings, pistons, and internal joints/hinges/bolts) to really be a machined piece. The rest is a bizarre mixture of sculpted mechanical and organic curves, which is a major pain to try and reproduce.

Better view of the outside elbow cover. The intention is for this piece to be permanently attached to/act as the joint between the upper and lower arm. The actual elbow joint on the RoboCop suit is about an inch away from where it's sculpted. All part of the magic of hiding the man inside. And, strangely enough, the elbow joint was slightly skewed, turning the forearm across the chest when the elbow was turned. This not only allowed Robo to more easily grasp objects in front of him, but also enabled him to have more natural looking arm movement while walking.

RB 13970

SiR-ROUND
ABC WARRIOR

OCP3 - L3

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote

Awesome stuff...

The hands seem a little small though.

RB 3346

RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote

The gauntlets are placeholders, which is also why they're so rough. They'll be one of the next items to be finalized and released; the difference should be night and day!

Anyway, had a fun couple of days, I'm getting back to the Pep files right now.

RB 13970

RoboTrap

L-L2

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote

Encountered a few problems with the arms, been sorting them out. Mostly changes to the shoulder's curvature, and bringing the triangular supports closer together. Those few changes required a lot of the surrounding geometry to be modified.

Anyway, thought I'd throw up a quick render to give a better sense of how far I've progressed since starting this project.

RB 13970

unheard
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote

well done m8.
looks like your dream you told me about of a robocop army will come true Very Happy

RB 35

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote

this is looking great, what software are you modeling in?

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
SiR-ROUND
ABC WARRIOR

OCP3 - L3

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote

MS paint.

RB 3346

RoboTrap

L-L2

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote

I was using Blender, but that was the program that was giving me export issues. I ended up switching over to another freeware program, OpenFX, which apparently hasn't been updated in about three years. It's clumsy and ugly, but the UI is easier on the eyes than Blender, and it hasn't been giving me problems when I export for Pepakura.

If you've any suggestions for a free modeler without a learning curve that makes my head want to explode, I'm open to them!

RB 13970

gremlin
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Hi i am new to this thread (pionted to here by Sir round) and i got to say this is awesome, i am just starting in makeing fiberglass armor , well i havent started on one yet but soon a cyerman from Dr Who iwill be my first i think, but its subject to change because of this Very Happy . well great job and keep on working on it, i love it

RB 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard