New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Pepakura RoboSuit: Helmet and Collar Available!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

Current Progress

1.22MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28W9QOOM

-Backup Links-

http://rapidshare.com/files/439111225/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo

http://hotfile.com/dl/91762168/f9cd04e/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo.html

I started work on a relatively low-poly RoboCop model for use in Pepakura. Like Master Chief armor, you print out the 3D models as 2D patterns, cut/glue them together, and then fiberglass. That's an overly simplified explanation, but it's enough to understand why my model isn't perfectly rounded and completely detailed.

Been working on this every now and then for a while now, and although I don't have much done, I know for a fact I'll never get it done if I don't have some extra eyes to help with accuracy!

Like I said, this stuff is low-poly; it's rough around the edges, and none of the scribed details are modeled in. But the proportions and shapes are all there to my knowledge. I've already printed out a test version of the helmet, and even with parts of it not assembling (see below) it seems like I'm on the right track!

Feel free to pick it apart till it bleeds!

Work so far on the helm:

And smoothed out:

As you can see, I'm having problems unfolding in Pepakura, as a bunch of bits from the back panel are detaching themselves. Aggravating, to say the least!

And I threw some cheesy maps and a face on it for a better feel for the finished product.

Current progress on the arm (please ignore the placeholder gauntlet!):

And some of the pieces together:

The helmet is more or less completed, I just need to fix the angle of the bottom and add the inverted-cylindrical plugs near the back. If you see anything wrong, please call me out on it!

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote

awesome work, its looking great so far!

when the time comes dont be afraid to beef out them hands.

that robocop schematic from that Japanese book is totally off base with the glove.

cant wait to see more

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
RoboTrap

L-L2

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote

The best part of the Pepakura method is that you can completely alter the sizing and proportion to fit you. I'm almost as tiny as murphy38, so this is the only way I'll ever get a RoboSuit that fits me. I'll be releasing the Pepakura files as I finish them, so as long as you've got the patience to build it, anyone can have custom-sized RoboCop armor. Very Happy

Mindchamber :
awesome work, its looking great so far!

Thanks! It's a delicate balancing act between making the model detailed enough to serve as an accurate base and simple enough to actually be assembled in the first place!

I'm hoping to get my suit completed in time for Halloween, but we'll see if I make the deadline. I've built three prototype helmets so far to make sure everything goes together properly and I learn some other trick or technique each time. Lucky for me, though, I've already discovered that a helmet scaled down to my height fits my head perfectly, so I won't be looking like a bobble-head when I'm done! Laughing

Mindchamber :
when the time comes dont be afraid to beef out them hands.

that robocop schematic from that Japanese book is totally off base with the glove.

Oh yeah, those gimpy little hands from the photobook are pretty far off. I'm using nothing but images of the real suit from RoboCop 2/3/The Series as reference as they're almost completely identical except for a few bits like the thighs and neckseal, and even then I'll be creating alternate parts so the different versions of the suit can all be built.

That said, the current gauntlets are just there so I can concentrate on the rest of the arm. Once that's finalized, I'll be rebuilding the glove model from scratch.

RB 13970

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Jose said it, other than those hands, the thing looks pretty great and just about spot-on to me (Or at least, as spot-on as a low-polygon model of it can be, anyway).

Best of luck to you on this Trap, and good to see ya back around, too. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
murphy38
OCP1 - L2

OCP1 - L2

Archive Traitor

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote

wooow!! very nice and cool work my friend RoboTrap
you have lots of patience to do that. Wink

Murphy38. mr green

RB 2354

tiny-cop robocop-head alex-murphy RoboBadge baby-food award
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote

murphy38 :
wooow!! very nice and cool work my friend RoboTrap
you have lots of patience to do that. Wink

Stan The Man :
Best of luck to you on this Trap, and good to see ya back around, too. Wink

Thanks, both of you! I took a self-imposed hiatus on RoboCop and focused on some of my other geeky interests for a while (Star Trek, Batman, etc.) so I could really appreciate Robo again.

It also let me look at the RoboSuit with a fresh eye and really figure out how the whole thing went together in the sequels. I mean, there were bits of string holding the midsection rings together!

Got a bit more work done on the arm:

I'm going to start rebuilding the glove soon, and once I'm comfortable enough with it to move on, the chest/back armor & midsection are next.

RB 13970

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Lookin' good! Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote

'nother update.

Roughed in the midsection (I realize he's a bit on the thin side right now) to give me a better sense of where I was, scale-wise. I also decided to bump up the poly-count on the shoulders after deciding that the extra difficulty during the initial assembly was more than made up for by the smoother surface.

Upper arms are almost completed, just need to alter the top curve a bit, fully connect the inside and outside halves, beef up the little triangular pieces on the outside and model the rear details and open edge lips.

Lower arm cuffs are next, followed by the gloves, then the chest/back. The main problem in modeling the upper hard armor is how it interacts with the segmented soft armor underneath.

Please keep comments and criticisms flowing!

RB 13970

RoboTrap

L-L2

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Slowly, but surely, moving forward. My modeling prog crapped out on me, forcing a reinstall, but I always back up my important files, so nothing was lost.

Shoulders slimmed down, gauntlets moving forward, midsection getting there...

Shiny!

RB 13970

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote

Very very good so far, Trap - Keep it up! Smile

RB 52679

RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote

The chest is starting to come together; a lot of it isn't visible because it's more or less in a "scaffolding" stage before I connect and "skin" it, and can't be seen in a render.

RB 13970

RoboTrap

L-L2

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Just a little bit further, mostly scaling and proportioning...

RB 13970

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Robo's coming together rather nicley there trap!!!

Keep up the good work!!

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote

Feet are being started, did this pic for fun!

RB 13970

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard