New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: The Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Phill :
I still think that Eden without his helmet should have a darker look, it makes him feel week, while with Peter, robocop without helmet we can clearly see a strong MAN

Hey, of course Weller as Robocop without the helmet looks perfectly mainly in R1 . I dont know but in the R2 he has had too many wrinkles around the eyebrow and the same for the Burke in R3 but why ? The Murphy did not have so marked wrinkles before . Of course the creators of the film probably wanted to make him more cool, more darker .
And as for the Eden and his version of Robocop without helmet in the series, you know, the series was mainly for kids and the younger viewers so he could not to look too scary and dark there I think Wink

RB 4166

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Officer Harvey
Metro West District, Detroit Police Department, OCP

O-L1

Comment: I'm not in a Labor Union. I'm a Police Officer. I Don't Strike.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote

I thought the villains in the show SUCKED, just what??? When you have a recurring villain named Pudface, there's a problem. Just, wow.

RB 25

bucka607
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Ill probably get slaughtered for this but i prefer burke to eden, eden seemed really stiff in the series where as burke moved more easily. As regards to the voice alot of that was down to editing and producing. If you go back to R1 you'll notice Weller sounded very robotic at first like when he first goes to the station and is told when at rest to sit in the chair listen to the way he say's ''yes i understand''.

As for the series i liked the whole diana robo thing as well and how she always called him Alex. They really tried to work in the more human side of him which was pretty good, but some of the storylines were terrible. The main thing that really annoyed me is how they changed Ellen to Nancy.

RB 66

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote

Like many shows, there's good and bad episodes. RoboCop was 50/50 in that respect, but actual moments, scenes and sequences that stood-out were aplenty, I thought. Quite a few to list, but I may do that sometime.

What has stood out for me since ITV premiered it on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, back in 1996, and stayed with me all these years, is the gorgeous and stunning orchestral music by Jon Stroll and Kevin Gillis, who was also one of the Executive Producers. Their compositions left a massive impression on me, and were so well balanced, written and performed. Their best episodes, where they clearly had the budget to afford probably 40-60 musicians, were the two-hour 'Pilot', and my personal favourites 'Officer Missing' and 'Ghosts of War'. Either episode should of received an Emmy nomination for "Outstanding Music for a Television Series", and won it as well.

The scores for those two latter episodes were excellent, and of motion-picture quality, and yet, this was for a television series! For those of you who thought the producers messed up on a big budget, they didn't. I read a comment that one member made in response to this topic; watch it all again, in particular the special effects filmed for the 'Pilot', 'Provision 22' ,'When Justice Fails', 'Illusions', 'The Tin Man', and 'Public Enemies'. They had a budget of $1 - 1.4 million dollars per episode. In the real world of television production, who can't have that budget for 22 episodes, so you HAVE to cut corners on the odd ep. to stay under or on top of the overall season budget, because if you don't, the studio are down on you like a ton of bricks.

Having said that, they probably didn't, and went over their budget, judging by the sheer colossal scale of pyrotechnics and stunts they staged, and the production costs was one of the main reasons cited for the show's unfortunate cancellation. It would definitely of been very interesting to see what the writers would of done with the humanistic stories and character arcs that had been told so brilliantly in the 'Pilot', 'Heartbreakers' and 'Corporate Raiders', what scenarios and further exhilarating action set-pieces they'd of thrown Robo into, and what further beautiful orchestrations and music scores Jon Stroll and Kevin Gillis would of composed.

For me, The Series was significantly better than RoboCop 3, and in some areas, RoboCop 2. R2 did NOT dedicate nowhere near enough time to the darker human side of Murphy's character, nor did R3. The Series did, and superbly handled it across several episodes, in particular 'Prime Suspect', 'Officer Missing', 'The Human Factor', 'Heartbreakers' and 'Corporate Raiders'. Additionally, some of the action sequences and stunts were far more superior, since the money was there. That's not to say the ones attempted in the sequels weren't; RoboCop 2 has some amazing feats, and RoboCop 3 a few noteworthy ones, but to me, none as satisfying and explosive as those in The Series.

However, and again unfortunately, The Series was not without it's errors. It's clear the producers and writers attempted to do episodes that were NOT suitable for the young, child audience their studio-issued mandate instructed them to stick to. All you have to do is go back and watch the episodes I've mentioned above, and see that they were dark, dramatic, and at times, quite gruesome and violent, for children to watch. It's so obvious those producers and writers were such fans of RoboCop's 1 and 2, and the dark, violent stories and elements that made them so iconic and memorable, that they followed suit as well, but then I get the impression the studio put their foot down once seeing those "cold" ep's, and ordered them to go back to the silly, child-minded, "warm and fuzzy" scripts, like 'Mother's Day' and 'RoboCop vs. Commander Cash'.

Still, I do believe The Series had far more pros than cons, and had such huge potential to go on for at least a few more seasons. It also boasted a very likeable and versatile ensemble cast, who clearly had great chemistry all round, but Sarah Campbell (Gadget) was no good at all; perhaps in an actual kid's show, but as part of an adult cast, and playing a pointless, boring character, that the show did not need one bit, she wasn't.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote

Very good post. I agree that overall the Series did benefit from the high production value and made the most of it. Budget isn't really too much an issue (or at least it shouldn't be) but honestly, RoboCop is just not a property where you can do something for ten a penny, you do need some dough here and there. They had it in the Series and it shows.

I agree about the music for the most part, I thought it was pretty good. On the main I won't consider it quite on the level of the films but it certainly was good, especially in spots.

As I've said before, and as you also alluded to, the show indeed had more 'darker human' stuff - that it alluded to much darker and deeper aspects than the films, stuff that the show couldn't (and indeed didn't) fully delve into for a number of reasons. I've said a lot on this before on the board and site itself so I'll not repeat myself again, but I do wholeheartedly agree that many episodes that leaned more to that were the better episodes of the show, and indeed I would have liked to see more and stronger takes on those elements. That said, the show had it's cheesy and silly moments, but I definitely consider it considerably better in certain spots than R3. Overall.. Bah, sub-par as the Series is.. I might be able to rate it over R3. Though I agree about the sequels not delving into the 'dark human' stuff as much, there's no way I'd rate it over R2, but R3 - maybe. At the very least, there are more good moments in the Series than R3 to me, or at least I find them more memorable.

Action wise though, I have to disagree - The films always had that one-up over the series, or R2 sure did, at the very least, (come on, a Robo stomping around getting his ass kicked every other episode as opposed to one taking a beating and jumping around on RoboCAIN?), Robo was definitely more badass and less vulnerable in that film (R3 is different story). Though there were parts in the Series where he wasn't portrayed as some slow, weak-ass robot, they weren't many, at least not to me. There also were some cool stunts and explosions and whatnot in the Series, but still, I'll always give that nod to R2 - it's a flashy action piece anyway and just does it better.

In the end, the Series had it's moments, and they do shine. However, I can't rate the series quite so highly myself overall. I find it a decently respectable piece for what it is, though. It had good episodes that do stand out, and other aspects of the show are also interesting. I would have liked to see it go on but I don't think it would have lasted too long before petering out. Still, a complete bag of suck it is not, and that's more than I can say for some other RoboCop products.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Metronet
R-L3

R-L3

Comment: And now a word on nutrition

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote

I was 12 years old when first watched The Series. Honestly, I didn't miss the violence. I was far too focused on the portrayal of Alex Murphy, which I was glad was not forgotten. Before the Series, it had been years since I had seen the original film, as I both liked and feared R1. The Series created the opening to let me to enjoy RoboCop again. I would record the eps on VHS and watch it religiously; my favorite TV show at the time.

I recognized some familiar plot devices carried over from the film into the Series, like Media Breaks and the satirical consumer commercials. I liked how Commander Cash is used as the vehicle to push outlandish products on both kids and adults.

Listening to the music of the Series, I'm glad that Production did not cheap-out on this aspect. The scores contributed plenty to building atmosphere and maintaining moments of tension.

Diana is by far the coolest addition to The Series. She has a similar background to RoboCop; a human murdered and now existing as a ghost-in-the-machine anomaly. She was RoboCop's ace-in-the-hole many times, with her omnipotence over Delta City.

With the inconsistencies in story quality, I didn't like all episodes. Many of those I'd watch a few times as their plots were boring to follow. This is probably me being biased to begin with, but the best episodes of The Series are the ones that touch down with RoboCop's humanity. These are the episodes I would repeatedly view over others. Most notable are "Heartbreakers" and "Corporate Raiders."

The latter episode had the poignant moment Russell figures out who RoboCop is and calls out, "Alex." Murphy had to confront his father, and he seemed so ashamed to have died and cause his family so much grief and pain. I cried. I mean, R1 is an overall masterpiece with dozens of scenes which I felt deeply emotional. Yet this on-and-off Series has this one golden moment which made me an infant. And I was secretly crying, too, because at the same time I was realizing I was tearing over this Series. I suppose this is what could happen when one is emotionally vested in a show, and then this after twenty-odd episodes in it.

Part of the architecture of The Series is that while Murphy's wife and son can be seen in it, RoboCop refuses to tell them who he is, though he still tries to protect them. This may seem to create unnecessary tension, but I rather enjoy the idea for RoboCop as the traditional hero with a secret identity. It also means that Jimmy Murphy mind as well walk around with a "Kidnap Me" sign taped to his back, because that is what happens to him in almost every episode he's in.

After watching PD, I'm thankful that The Series was was one of the more expensive shows to produce in those days; to execute a story with some degree of quality. PD taught me that a RoboCop show can follow in the footsteps of the original film as much as possible, but with a crap budget and no inventiveness, it can still suck monkey balls.

RB 111

game-xbox
Kara_Kedi
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote

Hello from Ukraine!
I looked this serial in 1995 (in 1995 it showed at us on TV). I then very much liked a serial! Certainly, the serial differs from R1, R2 and R3, but it were pleasant to me …
And RoboCop performed by Richard Eden has seemed remarkable … its movements, gait really as much as possible approached to to robot actions.
The second time I have looked at this serial this year (unfortunately it was not given to possibility to find all series of a serial earlier). Also should tell to me a serial still it is pleasant not less than it was pleasant in 1994!..

RB 17

Kara_Kedi
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote

A sound-track pleased me at the end of the last series of serial...
Who does know, how is a song named, who sings and where it is possible to load it?..

RB 17

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote

A Future To This Life.

Joe Walsh and Lita Ford.

I'm guessing this is the song you're on about...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Kara_Kedi
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Many thanks for the answer!
I will try to search now where it is possible to load this sound-track …

RB 17

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote

It can be listened to on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7So8Zur4eY

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Kara_Kedi
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for links!
I go to listen!..
And it is possible to load somehow this sound-track?..
I wanted to use this sound-track as phone melody …

RB 17

DarthVader1
L-L1

L-L1

Comment: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Not much to say, but I've just received the RC Series on DVD... NEW. Now I don't have to rely on YouTube to watch them. Very Happy

RB 2772

starwars-darthvader SW-Imperial game-xbox robo-rights
Kara_Kedi
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote

It is remarkable! Smile

RB 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard