New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Whats up with that RED visor?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote

In no Robo movies, series (except cartoons, I'm assuming), do we see RoboCop with a red visor. Yet, on untold numbers and varieties of figures, comics, and cartoons we see him with a red visor. Where did this originate and what could possibly be the purpose?

Is it easier to animate or color in red rather than black? I couldn't possibly imagine that to be.

Also we have the image that was being pushed around for the would-be new movie. What the hell is up with that?

Could we interpret that visor as being black and very reflective, just bouncing some red glow off of it. Maybe. But who could know. This still doesn't explain all the other nonsense.

In the series I guess it could be argued that the red was some type of scanning, or just glare shooting across the visor. But still nonsense, as there is nothing like this in the films, and how the fuck would there be a blood red glare everywhere in a perfect square.

On to figures. There's plenty of these cheap figures out there. I mean, I have one for christ's sake. But is that the reason for the red visors. How could that be any cheaper than black, especially since they are already using black on it. Did somebody just decide, "Yeah I want the visor red on this shit. Make it happen". I just don't understand.

That figure is real horrible. Just look at the face. Whoa!!!

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote

Actually, this is an interesting question and I would like to know more, this is almost in the vein of the 'RoboCop on a Unicorn' thing, except not quite as lame perhaps, and, we do now do know how ROAU came about (not that I'm any happier about that, but still). tongue

I don't get the red visor thing either. And I never liked the 'toaster Robo' picture for the new, and now seemingly dead, movie. Bah.

So yeah, how did this come out, and why is it so? I mean a red visor is just ugly and silly. Makes me think of cyclops every damn time I see it. :roll: Is it really just simpler art-wise or what? And why did it stick?

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote

I think it started in the marvel cartoon with the scanning/glare and just snowballed into a full on red visor with the toys. It is supposed to look cool i guess, in a retro knight Rider fashion. I know some Dark Horse comics also had the red visor in them, but not sure about the marvel ones.

I actually talked to a female friend the other day, she had never seen RoboCop but said she knew of the character. When i asked about how he looked she said he had big gun and a helmet with a red visor.

And now i am wanted for murder.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote

Well, J, I'll send ya a postcard when you get to the pen. Wink

Yeah, I remember the 'scan' thing, I thought it was a straight Knight Rider ripoff, and pretty lame. Guess it did just evolve from there. I also remember some of the Dark Horse comics had it, but only barely so - I don't think it could have been there all that much.

Sucks that it stayed on a lot of toys, especially the cheap ones. Though I don't get that so much - Like Demise, I too would think black would be a easier/quicker/cheaper to put on, bah.

On the new helmet, I think that's actually supposed to be a shot of the gas station explosion with Emil riding away in the visor. Still reminds me of a toaster, though. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote

The strange thing is, when learning Intermedtiate Animation in college, then Film & TV Design and BA Animation at university, I was always reminded to avoid using red as much as possible, because it always recorded poorly and looks bad on the screen! So this red visor really is confusing me!

RB 2649

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote

Archive :

And now i am wanted for murder.

Well, I can't blame you. I may be brought in for questioning if I had heard some nonsense like that.

So the red visor was her big memory. Wow. That's like saying your best memory from Predator was Danny Glover, post stroke. Can't go around lisping at predators. Kinda in the same vein of thought.

I am a cruel, sick, depraved human being... And I'm fine with that.

So you think the cartoons did it to mimic Kit? Fuck them if they did. I can't be satisfied with that. Time to look at some credits in cartoons and get IMDB pro to get some real answers. I bet people here have IMDB pro already. An E-mail to the right people could get an answer... Could. Twisted Evil

RB 10024

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote

Can't really add anything to this topic expect that i think it looks fucking silly.
I just think people connect lazers and shit to robots so yeah theres why he's got a red tampon stain in the middle of his visor.

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote

robohell :
I just think people connect lazers and shit to robots so yeah theres why he's got a red tampon stain in the middle of his visor.

That comment is fucking gold, man. Laughing I'm surprised Demise didn't say something along those lines.

RB 52679

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Red Visor=Monkey Ballz..Just my 2 cents.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote

Guess I couldn't spark any interest with the rest of the members here. Dare I say what I think? Nah.... Just not worth it anymore.

I need to get some milk +. Get me at the top of my game for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

RB 10024

Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote

I checked the Dark Horse comic "Mortal Coils" and the red visor was all over the place....

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote

You know as a kid I always thought he visor was red... I think its because of the picture on the VHS cover. Where hes getting out of the car in the garage.

And because of that I just thought: its a dark red. Maybe.

RB 710

cake
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Bah, that's fucked up - Roulette doesn't have a stitch of red visor in it.. what gives? Confused

And JBA, leave it to you to be a blasphemer. tongue

RB 52679

Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote

JohnBoyAdvance :
I think its because of the picture on the VHS cover.

Yeah, in all fairness that IS the first red visor picture, of course it is the sirens reflecting red but there you go.

Red visor.

Cool!

Laser!

RB 348711

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard