New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New RoboCop TV series in the works ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    INDEX -> Front Page - Featured Topics
zach11
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: "yes, I understand"

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Either way, bringing Robocop back to life is good news. I like the idea of a cable series because they can do whatever they want violence wise and other. Regular TV, a little less enthused. For skeptics of a TV series, police series like CSI have done well and have interesting new twists, so I think they could come up with either a season long "24" style series or a episode by episode, or possibly a blend of both like LOST.
Personally, I like the idea of a movie better but IF MGM DOES believe he is a superhero styeld property like Ironman, they may feel that the genre is flooded with all of the superhero films in the works, so they put him on TV for a while and make a movie from the series after the dust settles a bit on Wolverine, Cpt Am, Thor, Batman, GL, and Avengers projects come out. Can't wait until December for more news!

RB 613

auto9 hamburger
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote

A lot of us would rather have nothing than something that could potentially be bad. Personally I want Robo to live on and continue and not be this dead franchise. So if a remake/reboot and new TV series comes along and shine some new light on our hero i think that is a good thing.

The danger with MGMs financial problems was that they could have ditched all plans for RoboCop. With this TV series news we at least know that MGM has a continued trust and support for the character.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote

^ That's the only 'silver lining' I do see - that at least someone cares enough to want to keep Robo going. But, it's all commercial - RoboCop is still a franchise with value to them, so of course there was always going to be a possibility of something, that point has always been around to some extent. With MGM's troubles that point was not lost, there was just nothing that could be done with it.

I wouldn't mind a TV series, but as Archive said, we, and indeed Robo itself has been burned many times already and I would hate to see another failed project like so many others. I have higher skepticism about a network TV series, because it more has more of a chance to fail. As I said before (and my father, who I discussed with this a bit, agrees), a network TV show just isn't the right format and dynamic for RoboCop. I'm not saying it can't be done, let alone be good, but it's viability is in question. It might start out good and be alright for a while but would it sustain itself over time? I don't have high hopes. Of course, I haven't had high hopes for almost any official Robo thing for about the last decade, so that's nothing new I guess.

I like zach's assessment, and though I would disagree on such a judgment on what RoboCop is (It's not a superhero franchise, or at least it not in that same way), but if they do believe that, then I can see them cooling off on Robo while all this other stuff is going on.

Again, I would like to see something, but I don't think a TV series is the right way to go. There are some issues/problems. As I said, I think a film is the only real way to go, so there you have it. Still, part of me is happy to hear something at all so that's cool I guess. I'll just wait 'til December and see what's what then.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote

The thing is that Terminator is much more popular than RoboCop and that TV series only lasted two seasons. That is pretty troublesome. I see no chance whatsoever that a new RoboCop series can last more than one season with the high demands for ratings these days. I just don't think Robo can rake up that amount of viewers.

That is unless we can get Justin Bieber to play Murphy and Miley Cyrus to play Lewis. But I would have hung myself in the attic long before the first episode aired.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I'd fly over and join you Archive, we can kick the chairs out from under each others feet at the same time.

RB 19226

zach11
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Archive - LOL! Justin Bieber & Miley! Hilarious. Wow, you couldn't go farther away from Robocop than those two right?!

Guys, as a fan a share your concerns, but it comes down to "you don't know until you try" in a lot of cases. I think MGM and the people who take them over have seen what happens when you milk a franchise - i.e. Terminator and R3 among others. I see the short term fun in making a cable series - anyone concerned might take a look at what HBO has been able to do with their various "made for HBO" weeklies like sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. I still think it may be a decent strategy to bring the character back, test it's viability to bring in new fans, and then move it back to the big screen. Star Trek had some great successes in getting from the tube to the silver screen.

Please know that I don't believe Robocop is a superhero, but it would be easy to see him as that by studio types BECAUSE of the success and similarity between Robo and Ironman today. THAT is why I believe MGM & company see his value. He is their only "superhero" type of character in their product line. I see terminator as a different product, black and white machine versus people. With Robocop, there is so much material to explore in Murphy's humanity along with the almost limitless "hero" storylines due to his enhanced physical form. With how robotics and technology has changed in 20 years, Robo could easily connect to the web and utilize it's entire database! He could communicate via cellular! They could also pack him full of gadgets, like the small missiles that Ironman packs etc. I think you could balance a little "superhero" adventure inside the real gritty world of Old Detroit on a weekly basis without blowing up the budget.

RB 613

auto9 hamburger
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote

True, but Archive still said it. RoboCop is a valued franchise but not quite so big in the public eye. So longevity is a problem. Again, it's not a question of if it can be done, but if it will last. With a TV series that's always the prime concern.

But, like I said, it's all moot 'til we hear more. I agree with Archive's assessment, though I think I'd eat a bullet myself. Less showy. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote

As big a movie archive MGM does have, their library consists mostly of older classics such as "some like it hot" Apart from "Bond" they have few titles that they can really work with nowadays.

With the related "Silence of the lambs" and "Dancing with wolfs" TV series they are really digging up anything that could possible be turned into new movies or TV series.

RB 348711

zach11
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote

So you guys don't think Robocop could be turned into some kind of high tech crime solver similar to the succesful CSI series? Not that I want to see it on regular TV, but rather on cable with the adult level of reality and violence, I would hold out hope that it could be done well, with the right writers - and sound effects! If the RC:PD series had been able to use the proper sound effects, it may not have seemed as cheesy. I think if they did the TV series, it might draw in new fans to the character and create a new following, and provide a decent fan base if/when they put it back onto the big screen. Don't you think after 20 years, they would need to bring in some new fans before going straight to the movies?

RB 613

auto9 hamburger
Archive

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote

I think it would be a huge challenge to make it legit and not seem cheezy.

That is the main problem. Cop and murder series are very popular but can they insert a guy in a suit into the mix and still get viewers other than robofans?

RB 348711

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote

I don't know if it's possible to have a tv series that's not cheesy. Add in a main character that needs a real budget to look and act right and you're headin to cheddartown for sure.

Note:Cheesy joke.

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote

It's not an inherently bad concept, provided they at least keep the show on basic cable, if not premium. Sure, HBO or Showtime mean a lot less restrictions on content, but shows like The Shield really helped pave the way for basic cable programs that don't shy away from potentially R-rated material.

All the series really needs is a showrunner who understands that the violence & black humor of RoboCop is the vehicle that the film's satire & humanity ride on. These are elements that cannot be compromised or else the entire premise falls apart as evidenced by, well, every single sequel and spin-off we've seen.

I think a weekly series could actually be rather compelling. Good writers would be able to use an episodic format to continuously provide commentary on our world while threading intricate plots and character development.

Of course, odds are the show won't happen. And if it does, odds are the show is a pile of trash.

But, there is a slight chance that this could really work. Very Happy

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
zach11
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote

I agree that it could be cheesy, as we have seen some of that before. I would hope that the new "owners" of the property would see its long term value and not put out a half assed series.

Robotrap has the right idea about the cable/pay cable concept - that is what I was thinking too. Putting the right actor into the suit - one that could take it onto the big screen in the future, and hiring some decent writers are certainly key points but I am sorry to read that you guys are still pretty cynical about the show being cheesy/crappy!

It really depends on the studio execs and how much money they can make off of it. I've got to think they have leardend their lessons on doing cheesy sequels/concepts to defraud the Robocop fans - at least it's not Warner Bros! Did you ever see how cheesy and low budget Superman 3 & 4 were?! Batman 4? What a shame. Otherwise, MGM and their new buyers have had a decent track record as far as I know

RB 613

auto9 hamburger
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote

I dispute as to whether MGM has had a 'good track record' but in any case, RoboCop has definitely NOT had so good a track record. After 20 years gettin' what we've been gettin in this franchise, some of us are cynical on principle.

Now as it's been said, a series could be good IF they can find good writers, a good actor, and crew/production that understands and holds to the base aspects/material, as well as keeping the proper level of content and so on, but that's quite a few pretty big 'ifs'. It's not like it can't happen, but I'm doubtful. As Archive said, it's a challenge.

I myself never thought a TV series was the best path to take and still don't. I am certainly allowing for the possibility that it could be something good, but I'm just not getting all that excited, especially not right now.

RB 52679

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard