New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop machine gun hand
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote

In Robocop 3, Robocop is introduced using the machine gun hand attachment while on duty. He also uses it to take out one of the ninja robots at the end. This attachment makes him more dangerous with the use of rockets as well as a machine gun. While there are no ED 209s in this movie, it seems like an upgrade that rivals ED-209's arsenal. I don't think he uses the Auto-9 at all in this movie (if he does, I am having trouble remembering it). While the upgrade is a cool idea to revitalize the character and make him more destructive, I wonder why they did it. It can't be a less violent alternative to a handgun, but I know that there was a lot of attempts politically to control the use of hand guns on the streets in the U.S. I don't think that a machine gun is any less deadly than a handgun (in fact it should be more threatening), but I wonder if the world had just become so desensitized to the use of machine guns from movies and tv that the producers thought it would be a way to soften Robocop's character (this is just my speculation, even though it is counterintuitive because machine guns are more dangerous weapons). Maybe it was because machine guns are often blasting without the same deadly accuracy and they seem to be more of a staple of action movies of the time period.
I may be looking in to this moreso than is necessary, but it as a Robocop fan, I easily notice the shift away from his traditional weapons (Auto-9, hand spike weapon which also doubles as a computer terminal access device). Looking back at the first two movies, it does seem that when Robocop fired the semi-automatic Auto-9, the next scene was someone getting blasted (squibs with blood flying), whereas the machine gun fire didn't always seem to hit the target.

What are your thoughts on the Machine gun hand accessory? A modern accessory or a cheap way to beef up Robocop without contributing anything to the action of the film?

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
a cheap way to beef up Robocop

So much overthinking and you summarized it perfectly at the end in just 7 words Smile

In R2 they kept the same Robo with no additions (just the blue color), but in R3 they departed from that idea, it was also a film targeted more at kids, and kids love new accessories, in particular those that make a character more and more powerful, I have been a kid and I can guarantee that any toy of a favorite character beefed up in whatever way was instantly going to catch my attention, and there is no better character to upgrade than a robot! Giving Robo a machine gun-rocket launcher-flamethrower and even a jetpack can only be explained by targeting children.

The rocket launcher overpowers him, useful against other robots (ed-209, maybe RoboCain), but there is absolutely zero need for a police robot to use a rocket launcher and a flamethrower against criminals in an urban environment, those are military upgrades, he is becoming an overpowered robot as ED-209 was. If he was ever going to encounter another robot he should just get a cobra canon for the occasion as he did in R1 and R2.

In the Robomake they went in just the opposite way, they adjusted Robo force to the common urban crime scenario (taser gun), and even he is a bit underpowered since his armor can be pierced by special ammunition.

By the way, Iīm pretty sure Robo uses the Auto-9 in all the McDagget chase part. And this makes me ask another question, what did he do with the gunarm? He probably had a vehicle we didnīt see, but among the worst thing about the gunarm is that whenever you are not using it you canīt carry it in a leg holster, you have to leave it somewhere, although it is not as big as a cobra canon, it still has that same big disavantage. Worse if you think Robo has to leave behind one of his hands! And where did Robo get a new hand at the end of R3?

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
What are your thoughts on the Machine gun hand accessory? A modern accessory or a cheap way to beef up Robocop without contributing anything to the action of the film?

Both. And yes, you're overthinking it. tongue

I've never had a problem with the gunarm in theory and concept, there are (admittedly sparse) cases where it could be an advantage, much in the vein patrol officers have need for assault rifles and the like. How it's executed, how the gunarm is used in R3 I don't prefer, it's definitely a cheesey device that's way overused and makes Robo an action figure indeed aimed at the kiddies. In it's original idea, where it was used as a special weapon in the fight with RoboCAIN - using it like that, a special weapon for a big fight, once or twice, fine, great. But all throughout the film like it does in R3? Silly, indeed.

I am torn because I do like the purist idea of Robo staying a post-modern gun-fighter, sticking with just the Auto-9. The Cobra Gun has proven it's the only other real heavy weapon to be deployed in special cases so in that regard I have to admit the gunarm is at the very least somewhat redundant. Still, I think there is justification for the gunarm, again, in concept. But the execution of it in R3 is just child-pandering clownshoes, especially in conjunction with that damn jetpack.

artuditu :
By the way, Iīm pretty sure Robo uses the Auto-9 in all the McDagget chase part. And this makes me ask another question, what did he do with the gunarm? He probably had a vehicle we didnīt see, but among the worsts thing about the gunarm is that whenever you are not using it you canīt carry it in a leg holster, you have to leave it somewhere, although it is not as big as a cobra canon, it still has that same big disavantage. Worse if you think Robo has to leave behind one of his hands! And where did Robo get a new hand at the end of R3?

Indeed he uses the Auto-9 during the chase - Where he also misses, so him missing in R3 isn't due to the gunarm. He also uses it before that in the hotel, where he interestingly does not miss and hits good enough to keep another pistol twirling in the air. And has enough bullets to shoot out a door rather than just using it (again, not something limited to the gunarm :roll:).

I do agree there is a practical problem about carrying the gunarm around as a piece of equipment, where does he put it when he's out of ammo? Does he keep more ammo and if so, where? Etc, etc.

As for the new hand, I figure Lazerus might've hooked him up with that one. Just a thought.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm somewhat of a fan of the gun-arm, at least in terms of design.

They did address RoboCop getting an expanded budget which brought about the new lab, gun-arm and jet-pack. You could think of it as OCP compensating for the fact that there won't be repeating their mistake with RoboCain and just wanting to broaden Murphy's capabilities. Maybe even equipping him for non-urban settings like in the Marvel comic series where he's sent to war.

It could be taken as a merchandising scheme even in the movie universe, as we can see the Robo and ED-209 figures in Nikko's room (and there's also Johnny Rehab commercial), which shows us that OCP does indeed cater it's properties to kids as well.

To be frank, it is kind of sucky, that the Auto-9 takes a back seat to the gun-arm in the movie. The gun-arm is clearly not as convenient, as Murphy would need to either carry it around or go one-handed, but I think it looks good as part of his look. The jet-pack definitely looks much more out-of-place to me.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
I am torn because I do like the purist idea of Robo staying a post-modern gun-fighter, sticking with just the Auto-9.

Thatīs what I want: Robo itself, no "additives" on him. I think he could have upgrades, but more on his "operational system" or on his own body (as they did on the latest comic book, where OCP upgrade him just to be a little bit faster). As for the gun arm, it doesnīt have much a purpose, except for "being cool" and have some props for making toys. He uses the machine gun on that arm most of the time, so he could stick with the Auto-9 and being nice. If my memory doesnīt fail me, he uses the flamethrower on the Rehabsī center; and a few bombs with Otomo and one of OCPīs tanks. The rest of the time he uses regular bullets on the streets, so he wouldnīt need the gunarm that much.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for writing! I probably should have given Robocop 3 a watch before writing that post. I would have remembered some of the Auto-9 scenes.
Selling merchandise is usually the reason that characters get upgrades or other useless changes to the formula (Who remembers Battle-Damaged He-Man? Yeah, I had him too.). I liked artu's comment about how he is now overpowered. I hadn't thought of that. He was already virtually invincible to human attack, now he is like a walking arsenal that can also fly (DAMN JETPACK!). I really dislike the Jet pack and Robocop 3's dependence on it to achieve victory in the movie. Coupled with the gunarm, it seems as though Robocop wouldn't have been able to thwart the enemy had it not been for all the accessories. I am with Stan and Chanood, I like the gunslinger metaphor in a lot of police officer movies and I get the impression that the filmmakers (who would have had a lot more exposure to westerns in their time) probably did too. I think that the Cobra Gun was a nice touch in the first movie, Instead of Robocop being an invincible machine with dozens of weapons, borrowing the Cobra Gun to take out the ED-209 quickly was something that a human cop might do. To me, it preserved the notion of Murphy's human character in a mechanical body.
As for the gunarm as a part of Robocop's body, I agree that it is way too much firepower and unrealistic (it might as well have a friggin laser and bazooka built into it). It can seemingly do anything. It also needs to be attached and removed (along with Robo's hand) which to me is a disadvantage. Artu points out that it needs to be brought along somehow, even though Robo shows no sign of a gunarm carrying case or fanny pack. It would be a neat way to redefine the character, if it weren't for the fact that the real reason is probably to sell more Robocop toys. "And remember, we care."

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
"And remember, we care."

Actually, they usually donīt tongue

Itīs funny how the less violent movie of the franchise (until the Reboot, of course) puts Robo with that huge firepower upgrade.

I canīt see the gunarm as a factible item. He has to take off his hand, put it on his vehicle, and then attach the gunarm. We saw his Robocruiser into pieces two or more times in Robo2, so itīd be funny to see Murphy searching for his hand on the destroyed & burning car.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote

I have never been a fan of any design that puts a weapon in the place of a hand. I always found it cheesy as hell. It may have worked in old arcade games like metroid or mega man, but as soon as you try to make something more complex like a movie, you basically end up with an amputee character with several limitations and awkward movements and poses.

Only Iron Man design managed to do it in a smart way because he actually can use his arms as fire weapons but he is not losing at any moment his hands and fingers.

That said, of course when I was a kid I was moderately excited about the gunarm and the jetpack, but never entirely sold. The was something about the elegant and iconic auto-9 that was never surpassed by any other gimmick they tried with Robo (comic, games, etc.) Although I have to admit I loved using the ED-209 arm as a gunarm in RvsT game.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I'm really split about the whole thing. I like the overall idea and design of it but, as been pointed out, the gunarm is essentially pointless for the kind of situations Robo finds him in on a daily basis. The flame-thrower in particular is clearly just there to be cool and is not practical or useful at all, and the grenade launcher? How many times does Robo really need to blow up a tank on a normal day?

For the opening splatter-punk scene Robo could just as well have used the Auto-9, and after that scene Robo somehow forgets he has the attachment and just uses the Auto-9 until the story demands that he uses the gunarm again.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
To be frank, it is kind of sucky, that the Auto-9 takes a back seat to the gun-arm in the movie. The gun-arm is clearly not as convenient, as Murphy would need to either carry it around or go one-handed, but I think it looks good as part of his look.

RoboJOF :
I think that the Cobra Gun was a nice touch in the first movie, Instead of Robocop being an invincible machine with dozens of weapons, borrowing the Cobra Gun to take out the ED-209 quickly was something that a human cop might do. To me, it preserved the notion of Murphy's human character in a mechanical body.

Archive :
For the opening splatter-punk scene Robo could just as well have used the Auto-9, and after that scene Robo somehow forgets he has the attachment and just uses the Auto-9 until the story demands that he uses the gunarm again.

This pretty much tallies with my thoughts in regards to the gunarm's use in the film. It's way too overused, way too present. Indeed we see it more than the Auto-9.. big problem. Again, it needed to be more of a Cobra Gun replacement in the narrative, a special piece only brought out for certain purposes - When Murphy in those isolated instances actually needs that bit of extra firepower and that's it. If they had stuck it to that - Perhaps just being used at the end of the film and used for the end fights or even perhaps introduced in the middle of the film (it could have been another 'prototype' piece that Lazerus was holding onto and brought with her, perhaps), and also maybe used for the Rehab staging area assault, that would have been much more acceptable I think. Definitely shouldn't have been shown off right in Robo's very first full-on appearance.

For the record, I always think a better sequence there would have been to have the cruiser fall, the gangsters attack it, find it empty, then BOOM, a closeup of Robo's foot on some cracked pavement because he just jumped down instead and just wastes them Auto-9 only.. Might still have been a bit corny and ridiculous but way better than what we have now. Alas..

RoboJOF :
It also needs to be attached and removed (along with Robo's hand) which to me is a disadvantage. Artu points out that it needs to be brought along somehow, even though Robo shows no sign of a gunarm carrying case or fanny pack.

artuditu :
I have never been a fan of any design that puts a weapon in the place of a hand. I always found it cheesy as hell. It may have worked in old arcade games like metroid or mega man, but as soon as you try to make something more complex like a movie, you basically end up with an amputee character with several limitations and awkward movements and poses.

This too is the only real flaw I have with it design-wise. I had always preferred it had a regular pistol grip and trigger, and perhaps some braces that go around and attach to the wrist area for stability but can quickly detach and drop the weapon should Robo need his hand. I also agree transporting the piece itself (not to mention ammo) could be problematic, another reason I wish it was just used a lot less period.. Bah. That said, I'm with 93 that it does look good with the suit from an aesthetic standpoint, though, clean and not too cluttered following the arm.

Archive :
I'm really split about the whole thing. I like the overall idea and design of it but, as been pointed out, the gunarm is essentially pointless for the kind of situations Robo finds him in on a daily basis. The flame-thrower in particular is clearly just there to be cool and is not practical or useful at all, and the grenade launder? How many times does Robo really need to blow up a tank on a normal day?

This is mostly it. I'm still ok with it but perhaps not quite as much as I once was. I still contend there might be cases for its inclusion, but again, it would be rare. Like the Cobra Cannon, it's just not something to have around all the time. But should things get heavy, it might be a good thing to have and perhaps be a bit more accessible and a bit less unwieldy than the Cobra Gun. Think if he used it with the Auto-9.. yeah it would just be a fun display of bullet-spraying but c'mon. The bomb launcher is called a 'smart bomb', telling me it can configure itself for several situations, a low power device could disable a car in a pursuit, could also have less-lethal munitions as well. Perhaps it might only be good for some blow-up madness, but if someone hacks some EDs and causes some havoc with them, well. The flamethrower is absurd, though, no question.

Lol, kinda messing about there. Maybe I still am alright with it.. tongue Anyway, I'm with Archive and Fan. I do like the piece in concept and think it has some use. I do concede it is rather impractical, goes against the core of RoboCop's character, and is way way WAYYY over-utilized in R3. I think if it had been toned down in the film it's inclusion might have been more palatable. Between it and the jetpack I'm with 93 in that the gunarm at least works to a point, the jetpack.. not really.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote

Gun arm you say?

Oh bugger, wrong film...

RB 4892

Ed-260
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
Gun arm you say?

Oh bugger, wrong film...

I was considering getting them on eBay. Sadly, I wouldnīt get room for them.

Stan The Man :
I do concede it is rather impractical, goes against the core of RoboCop's character, and is way way WAYYY over-utilized in R3

Yeah, itīs a plot device to solve some problems, but you could destroy a cyborg ninja or a tank without it if the writers would think a little bit more.

RB 11786

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote

I love Chanood's comment about Robo rifling through the wreckage of his police cruiser looking for the gunarm attachment. I might have expected to see something like that when his brain was being toyed with by OCP in Robocop 2 (perhaps for comic relief). It might have actually worked at that point in the movie, but silly and Robocop movies just don't mix for me.

Its funny, if the gunarm was created for the Robo Reboot, it probably would have just transformed a la the Transformers movies and then there would have been no need for carrying it around. But hopefully Robocop movies won't go in this direction. I like Robo being a cyborg with limitations, not like Ironman or Optimus Prime, who can (in the modern movies) transform their body into what ever they need. I like that Robocop needs to use his intelligence and police expertise to still complete his missions. Too many trinkets makes him seem less special as a hero.

RB 1747

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
I like Robo being a cyborg with limitations, not like Ironman or Optimus Prime, who can (in the modern movies) transform their body into what ever they need. I like that Robocop needs to use his intelligence and police expertise to still complete his missions. Too many trinkets makes him seem less special as a hero.

There is this, too.

RB 52679

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard