New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Frank Miller's RoboCop TPB Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said there Sean.

Story's great...art is just too damn much.

RB 495

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Viewed as a stand alone art piece the artwork IS impressive. The amount of detail is mindblowing to say the least.

BUT.... (and this is pretty much what Sean said)

The design and flow of the pages sent my eye all over the place, and too often actually OFF the page. The page design need elements that keep the eye flowing through the page. Very often I could not tell what the hell I was looking at at. Was that a hand? A piece of candy? Is that an eye? I had a very hard time figuring out what I was looking at.

All these problems keep the reader out of the story. Everytime a reader has to stop and figure anything out you've lost them. In this story there are simply tons of things that take the viewer out of the story.

So yeah, impressive and detailed artwork but doesn't work well when there is a actual STORY to tell.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
tsu
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: I'm the leech inside your mind sucking you out just leaving void

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I totally agree with you all, as I even said earlier.

tsu :
The colours are OK, but too much details in one frame annoying me a bit -- sometimes is hard to focus on most important thread because of the background or some stuff next to.

RB 1103

dvd-trilogy
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote

To be honest, I really don't find any of the artwork confusing. To me, I can see everything there is too see and at no point was I pulled away from the story that was being told.

Am I the only one?

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Kenjamin
The best there ever was

O-L3

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning.

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote

So I finally got around to reading all of them, I'll put my opinion in a Pro-Con-Neutral list

Pro
* The concept of Robo already being on the streets for three days straight, and not sleeping for a week when the story starts was good
* I liked the incorporation of the Rehabs and Delta city
* Robo being able to resist the junk directives as opposed to the movie
* I really like the kiss at the end: with Murphy having no directives its possible
* I like how he continues being a cop when all is said and done, perhaps with a vendetta against OCP

Con
* The opening to the RoboCop 2 movie was classier
* Rehabs needed to be fleshed more to be believable antagonists
* RoboCain had a better design than RoboKong, although both designs would not make a practical replacement to RoboCop.
* Lewis managing to get all of her clothes torn off every time she gets in a fight
* Reed getting killed seemed unnecessary
* The 300 reference was dumb

Neutral
* The artwork. I found myself liking it in many places, but have to agree that there are many panels (action) where I have no idea what the hell is going on
* While I liked that Ellen was married to another guy and pregnant to boot, I feel that that plot thread was left hanging just like the movie

RB 667

mug doom-marine alex-murphy

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Ive just got my limited edition hardback version!

First impressions? I LIKE IT! Very Happy

Не выбрана
RB 0

Rabbit
R-L4

R-L4

Comment: Fanfic up soon!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote

Should I get this? the story sounds interesting, but I'm not a big fan of the art (either FM's or Ryp's). I mean, look at this:

That's the worst Magic Eye ever.

RB 15

TwilightPro101
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote

I've been trying to get my hands on this for a long while now, but I haven't had much luck as of late until recently. I actually ordered it, just in time for Christmas and should be reading it by then. I've only seen bits and pieces but I'm interested to see how it plays out visually and the like.

RB 277

game-xbox
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

I've had this for a while and might as well post up my views on it.

Overall, I thought it was alright. Alright story and nice, consistant art.

Definitely better than Robocop 3. Possibly 2. That could be the rose tinted specs talking though.

One thing though. The only other comic I have read was Sonic the Comic, so I'm not the most expirenced at comics.

On to more in depth stuff though:

Good things:
- Art was consistent and of a high quality.
- The Jerry Springer rip off was funny.
- Lewis kicked arse. Despite near wardrobe malfunctions and all!
- The Dr Love character was interesting. And had a good motive for being a complete bitch.
- Robo becoming more human towards the end was a nice touch.
- A lot of the dark humour was good.
- The Rehab Officers angle was interesting.
- The story is a good fusion of Robo 2 and 3.

Bad Things:
- I do agree with people saying that the art was too detailed at times.
- The amount of blood that came out of Robo was strange, it never happened in the movies and it only seemed to really say "Hey look! Robo is really fucked now!"
- Robocop 2 had a really dull design. It was just a really big roboot.
- The unveiling of Robocop 2 in the subway came across as really strange.
- It felt a bit rushed. There were still some angles that weren't properly concluded. and there was no real sense of passage of time. It felt like that the whole comic took within a week at most. Whereas in Robocop 2 you believed that it could have taken weeks, maybe months.
- I don't care how inhumane you want to believe big business is Mr Miller, No one would employ Kong as a peace inforcer.
- Reed died. Sad
- The ending: So basically Robocop is Batman now?

Is there a way to post spoiler tags?

Overall it was good.

RB 710

cake
TwilightPro101
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote

Seems like there seems to be similar complaints on certain things. I'm really hoping that Avatar doesn't screw things up if they continue with things, within the next year or so.

RB 277

game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone know why Robo pulls the wires to electrecute himself?
http://www.avatarpress.net/v/robocop/1page20.jpg.html

Wish they had used Walt Simonson as the artist like on Robo Vs Terminator!

RB 4892

Ed-260
TwilightPro101
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote

You know honestly I don't remember. The only thing I still remember is cringing about the story half way through and wishing they hadn't turned Robo into Batman in the end -shakes head-

I'll have to go back and find those segements before I can give you a full on response in regards to the actions above.

RB 277

game-xbox
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote

The stores I went to just didn't carry it, and when you tried to order the individual issues, you'd always have a few missing. So, I just ordered the collection comic.

The artwork was too detailed at times. There were panels which made me wounder what the hell was going on. There's like a hundreds of lines to detail shadowing and scuff marks. One might think that's a good thing, but going overboard with detail, especially in a comic book, is never really a good thing, it distracts you from reading WAY too often. You're gonna be concentrating on figuring out whats going on in the panels sometimes because of it being overly detailed. All the damage marks on Robo didn't help it much, and kind of gave the feeling of drawing them on "just for the heck of it".

Reed dying was unnecessary. But what really bothered me was the ending where RoboCop kissed Lewis. That has been bought up before, but really, why would he do that? That part almost ruined the ending, if it wasn't for the last panel which had RoboCop still working to fight against OCP even though he's no longer "on the force", which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't mind a darker take on the character (it was already kind of dark already, given his origin).

But having RoboCop kiss Lewis, just takes away so much aspects of the character for me. I'm very glad that this part never made it into RoboCop 2. The comic was ok, and it's interesting to see an "Alternate" RoboCop 2, I just think that there are parts that could of been better, but in the end, the whole thing was just a big mess,.

RB 853

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
TwilightPro101
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote

Oddly, I find the movie more suiting then the comics.

I found my copy on Amazon.com forever ago, sat down with it and was turned off by the artwork more than anything else.

The ending itself feels so very Batman-like.

RB 277

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard