New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

things ive always wondered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote

thats good math, but unless we had a schmatic fo robo, we would know what his insides looks like, i think 750-900lbs sounds reasonable, id imagine there wouldnt be any wasted space under the armour and he would be choca-block with servos, hoses, wires etc in every nook and cranny. (otherwise they would have made him slimmer right?)

RB 9810

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Dash :
Hell, I'm feeling productive. Let's take a jab at some ball park of at least part of his weight. Let me also say, this a VERY loose guesstimate since there are a lot of variables we can't account for.

My Robocop suit, excluding the rings and pistons (which I don't have, sadly) has the following weights, sorted by material:

Fiberglass parts: 10.7 kg
Black upper torso (vacuum-formed plastic, maybe polystyrene): 0.575 kg
Chin and gloves (latex): 0.925 kg

Using this as a guideline, we can determine the volume of the fiberglass parts based on the assumption that my suit has roughly the same ratio of resin and glass fibers. Where v=Volume, m=Mass and D=Density:

v=m/D
v=(10700g) / (1.529g/cm3)
v=6998.038cm3

According to Wikipedia, the density of polystyrene is 1.05g/cm3:

v=(575g) / (1.05g/cm3)
v=547.619cm3

v=(925g) / (0.96g/cm3)
v=963.542cm3

Now, let's add all these volumes to get the volume of what is, presumably, the approximate volume of Robo's entire outer shell.

v=6998.038+547.619+963.542
v=8509.199cm3

m=D x v
m=(4.506 g/cm3) x (8509.199cm3)
m=38,342.451g

So Robo's armor alone should weigh 38.342kg or 84.5lbs (for our American friends Wink

NERD!

Just poking fun, Dash.
Nice estimate, other than you were mostly adding the figures for the outershell of RoboCop. And you're right, the rest would be speculation.

Now, I assume we are talking about RoboCop's weight from the first movie...?

Now, I think that his inner workings are more complex than a few circuit boards and wires. To allow for that kind of Power, some heavy-duty servos, motors, and othe robotic parts would have to exist inside the shell.

This is the root of how much he would weight.

I remember posting something back a few years ago about what organs, and parts he has inside. Damn, if I wasn't so lazy, I'd go and look it up... maybe later.

So, if Robo's armor alone weighs roughly 85lbs, how much would his internal parts weigh?

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote

I have to agree, that has to be one of the nerdiest things I have ever read. EVER. Well, maybe around the same level of that 100% accurate Back to the Future Timeline. But Dash, I love when people do that kind of stuff and that, was fuckin awesome. Way to use the old noodle.

+1 PT when I get the chance.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Dash, that was cool in a nerdy way.

Still it gives a nice idea but then you have to factor in a mechanical skeleton, wires, pipes and a whole load of other components.

I'm throwing you a Public Trust Dash. Like I said it was cool of you to work it out.

Well, sort of...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Dash
CH-L3

CH-L3

Comment: Whuddup, RIBS?!

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote

PROUD NERD! Laughing

And yeah, this noodle's getting quite old. tongue I COULD still take a gander at an internal frame based solely on the human skeleton's bone density... mind you, I'm tired tonight. Maybe later. mr green

EDIT: Screw it. tongue

The human skeleton comprises about 30-40% body weight in an adult. So, for a man about 5'11" at 185 lbs like Peter Weller (at the time of the movie, anyway tongue):

M=185lbs x 0.4
M=75 lbs
M=33.57 kg

The average density of human bone is 1.5 g/cm3. So the average volume for an adult human skeleton of that size is:

v=m/D
v=(33,570g) / (1.5 g/cm3)
v=22,380cm3

So, if Robo were to have a skeleton similar to a human's, and his skeleton were also made of titanium:

m=D x v
m=(4.51g/cm3) x (22,380cm3)
m=100.93 kg

Added to the weight of the armor:

m=38.34 + 100.93
m=139.27 kg
m=307.04 lbs

Well, that certainly accounts for a lot more of the weight. Throw in that big brain, some circuit boards, organs and high-torque motors and it's probably a lot easier to make him heavy than I thought. Smile

RB 1863

Halo3-Helmet batman-Batmobile
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote

Wink Yup! You are a math NERD.

Good on you, son.

I'd like to think that I'm pretty smart, but such mathematical equations escape my grasp. But at least someone got it.

Go rest your brain, Dash! Have a beer and watch some low-brow humor on the Boob-Tube! You've earned it!

So.....
All told, he's in the vicinity of about 450lbs...?

I would reward your thinking powers with a PT+, but I'm fresh out now. So maybe in the future.

Then again, a pat on the back oughta hold you till then.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote

HaHa! People calling somebody a nerd for math on a RoboCop fan site! The irony consumes me! Laughing I like this. Everything robo related has been dissected so much, yet we keep ourselves entertained still. Always finding little things to talk about. I love it!

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question, but can Robocop swim? He's never swam before, although I remember him falling into a river in one of the cartoon episodes and the water disabled him. He drove into a lake or large body of water in Prime Directives and then climbed out when he got across, but I just assumed that he walked on the bottom. He should be too heavy to swim, but he can't be hurt by water or moisture because then he couldn't fight crime in the rain.
Detroit gets a lot of snow in the winter. Does he seize up in the cold? Do kids get their tongues stuck on his titanium body in the winter on a dare? Does he have to scrape the frost off his visor? Would he get frostbite if he's out in the elements for too long (would it even matter if he feels no pain?)
Take your time.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote

Man, shame I wasn't around when this topic was in its prime, if only to give Dash the extra kudos for his aritmetical wizardry. It'd probably be the kind of thing I'd do if I ever wanted to apply myself. Bah.

Anyway, as for the post from JOF - Robo also went into the water in the "Prime Suspect" Series episode and come out no worse for wear. I figure he can't really 'swim' since that requires some level of flotation, and as he's got a good bit of dense mass to him he can't float. Perhaps with his internal isolated air supply he could use that to give himself a degree of buoyancy akin to a submarine, but even so he's too ponderous to propel himself effectively, so all told no I don't think he can 'swim'. Rather he'd just walk along the bottom until he found a way out of the water.

That said, I do think he can survive underwater, as he does have an internal air supply and if he can seal himself to the point he's airtight (to avoid airborne pathogens) he'll likely be watertight as well. And whatever can't be watertight will probably be water resistant, for reasons of inclement weather. He is meant to replicate a human cop's capability so I imagine he certainly can work in the rain.

Which leads us to your cold weather question. I'm sure if the temp gets too low he might have some issues, but he's mostly mechanical and hydraulic and by default most of that stuff can work pretty well even to sub-freezing and even sub-zero temps. His circuitry and internals meanwhile generate heat that likely can be vented to help out as well. He certainly can tough it out better than a human cop for sure. He also has means to relay heat through electrical and other means (as was shown in "When Justice Fails") so if something gets totally frozen he might not be totally screwed.

I figure the visor might have a coating or layer that prevents frost, that and/or his Robovision renders that irrelevant. His face could get frostbitten perhaps, but I don't think it affects him too much - He might feel it, but again, most likely no biggie.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote

meathead316 :

- can he get sick?

According to the Marvel Cartoon, he could get a RoboFlu! Laughing

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote

RoboFlu!! Yes! That'll glitch up his system. Remember to wash your Robo-mits before eating your rudimentary paste. No need for hand sanitizer, you can just burn off the germs with a flamethrower.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote

Something else I've recently wondered is Robo's recording of Dick Jones saying he had to kill Bob Morton. At the time of recording he was wobbling around trying to stand up but the recording is pretty straight. Robo must be equipped with image stabilising technology Happy robo

RB 4892

Ed-260
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote

Something that's always had me thinking. How is it that Clarence is able to be released from jail (and subsequently walk right into the OCP building to meet with Dick Jones) when he as multiple felony charges including narcotics, sexual charges, assault, and murder (OF COPS!). Now, this part was after the supposed police strike had been in effect, so maybe there were less cops on duty, but it always seemed odd that even a company as powerful as OCP could make that happen. Maybe that's the point.
Big Business has the power.

RB 1747

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Something that's always had me thinking. How is it that Clarence is able to be released from jail (and subsequently walk right into the OCP building to meet with Dick Jones) when he as multiple felony charges including narcotics, sexual charges, assault, and murder (OF COPS!). Now, this part was after the supposed police strike had been in effect, so maybe there were less cops on duty, but it always seemed odd that even a company as powerful as OCP could make that happen. Maybe that's the point.
Big Business has the power.

Clarence and Richard are Big Business Buddies.

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard