New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

things ive always wondered
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote

hi

a few thins ive always wondered. robo is part human right, so:

- can he get sick?
- will he eventually die of old age?
- he eats, so how does he go to the bathroom?

some about his human vulnerability:
- he needs to breath, so couldnt he be suffocated or drowned?
- having half of his face exposed cant be good for him, one shot at the right angle and by by robo brain (surely there is internal armour)
- nerve gas kill him?
- bad guys always shoot him, why not run away, how fast you think robo can run (if at all)

and some more outlandish ones: (try picturing these in your head)
- he is always so shiney, u recon he visits them hand car wash places
- you recon he brushes his teeth?
do you think ocp gives him some time off, what would he do with a day off?
- zombie apocalypse, now first thing he shoul do is over his exposed human flesh then he can go on a mad one, but lets say he got bit on the mouth, would he become a gormless brain eater, armoured up to the eyeballs, take a bit more than a headshot with a cross bow to put robo-zombie down!

thats is all, please either try to answer mine, or post some of your own!

RB 9810

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote

I'm assuming some of those are just for fun and not serious right? RIGHT?!??! Shocked

Anyway, I highly recommend watching episode 3 of our "Facts and Fiction" series.
In it most of the stuff you mention are explored and explained. But in short, RoboCop isn't as human as you think. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X62A-9D6MDM

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Concerning the threat of contracting a Zombie Virus, if there is biological matter still at use by Robo, then by the nature of "Zombie Law", it can be infected.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote

I had an idea for the strip that was like this...

So, my comments would be spoilers. But it is a very plausible notion.

The total level of OCP control would be high. With the exception of a bit more biting, RoboCop would work a peak performance (based on the OCP original design).

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
lord_zedd
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote

1.- I dont think he can get sick , after all , the face, brain and digestive system are whats left of murphys body.

2.- I dont think so, dr fauxx told him in robocop 2 that he was "free from death"

3.- I dont remember where I read this , but , you know that plug he has in the back of his head? He uses that to defecate, try not to think too much about it...

4.- That is....a very good question .

5.- I think that could kill him , but aparently thugs are too stupid to aim for his mouth.

6.-same answer as 4

7.- We saw him run in Prime Directives, but it looked silly.

8.- lol

9.- I dont think so, in Prime Directives someone mentioned that he never got any free time.

10.- I dont think his directives would let him eat innocent people, But maybe he could eat criminals.

RB 164

Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote

lord_zedd :
10.- I dont think his directives would let him eat innocent people, But maybe he could eat criminals.

Hmm, I must say I feel rather slow for not having this cross my mind even once. Despite zombification, the artificial parts of his psyche would remain unchanged by it. Thus creating history's most conflicted zombie.

Yes, very interesting......

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote

** can he get sick?
Since there is very little left of his body, basically just the brain and a few pieces of his torso, there is not much to get sick in. Perhaps some brain related infection?

** will he eventually die of old age?
His brain will age and deteriorate, so yes.

** he eats, so how does he go to the bathroom?
He eats a very simple rudimentary paste, not real food, so there is very little leftovers. The stuff that does get left is probably stored in some container that gets emptied now and then.

** he needs to breath, so couldn't he be suffocated or drowned?
He doesn't have his real human lungs anymore, they are artificial. The air gets in through a series of vents on his suit, for example back of his helmet. His brain needs oxygen but Robo has an internal emergency air supply in case he ends up in a place with no air.

** having half of his face exposed cant be good for him, one shot at the right angle and by by robo brain (surely there is internal armour)
It is not murphys head, just his face skin that is stretched over a metal skull. Eyes, teeth etc are all artificial. Much like the terminator, shooting his mouth would do be pointless.

** nerve gas kill him?
He can shut off breathing and use the internal air supply, and seal of his remaining internal human parts.

** bad guys always shoot him, why not run away, how fast you think robo can run (if at all)
The design of the suit is limited, otherwise we might have seen a running RoboCop. Perhaps in the remake? Personally I think it would look goofy and running away from bad guys isn't what RoboCop was made for.

** he is always so shiney, u recon he visits them hand car wash places
That is taken care of by his tech people in the "robo chamber"

** you recon he brushes his teeth?
It is not his real teeth.

** do you think ocp gives him some time off, what would he do with a day off?
RoboCop is the property of OCP. A product. He doesn't have free time. When he is not needed he sits and wait in the "robo chamber."

** zombie apocalypse,
Robo would be difficult to infect since he doesn't have any live human parts exposed. But technically if his brain got infected somehow he would be one hell of a strange zombie.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote

some very interesting answers. i have since watched all 3 episodes of "facts and fiction" (whens the next one out? they are awesome!) and that has answerd a few things, like his face, onboard air supply etc.

but..

-he has human parts, so surely he can get maybe a brain tumor or something?

-as for old age i agree with Archive, surely his brain would die and as a result so would he.

-Archive says robo has a cafiter bag O_o

-my uncle has false teeth, and still needs to clean them. i think if i was a hardened criminal and robo walked up to me and said "dead or alive youre coming with me" and had some sort of food paste in his teeth id drop my gun and roll about on the floor laughing.

-never thought about a zombie robo not being able to eat people coz of his programming, this would make an aweseom short film! surely just a bite on the face would infect him as it is real living skin using the same blood (presumably) as his brain and other organs.

ok so got a couple more

-if robo "weighs a ton" as said in robo2, how can hes car happily chug along with him driving it?

-speaking of, where in the blue hell does he keep his car keys?

RB 9810

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

When people ask and answer questions, do we answer only the movies as they are considered canon or the universe as a whole?

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Josh :
When people ask and answer questions, do we answer only the movies as they are considered canon or the universe as a whole?

I tend to include movies and TV series, but not comics and games.

** he has human parts, so surely he can get maybe a brain tumor or something?
Probably, but I assume they judged Murphy's brain as healthy when they decided to use it, so he's probably good for now.

** my uncle has false teeth, and still needs to clean them.
I'm sure they clean anything off at the same time as the tech people give him the food. Also, it is not certain he has to use the mouth to take the "food" at all. Maybe it is easier to just open some port and pour it right in? Pure speculation of course.

** if robo "weighs a ton" as said in robo2, how can hes car happily chug along with him driving it?
The cop that said that didn't say it as fact. It was just how it felt for him. RoboCop's real weight is not known.

** speaking of, where in the blue hell does he keep his car keys?
That is one detail of the movie i always found dumb. I think it would have been better if Robo started the car using his interface spike or something.
But I suppose he could have the carkeys in his left leg.

RB 348130

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote

he needs robo-pockets. im sure he uses his spike in the car in the cartoon if i remember corretly (it has been almost 20years since i seen it O_o

surely someone can do some sort of math to figure out roughly how much he weighs...

RB 9810

Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote

I can answer the keys question.

As most law enforcement officers in US, they would get their keys issued to them, much the same way as in R1, by the desk sergeant. Or at the armory, or garage.

I doubt that, with as many cars as Robo has been through, he keeps them on his body anywhere. (Of course I'm not including the TV Series)

In the series, since Robo has his own issued vehicle, Robo uses his data spike for numerous features inside his cruiser (which is designed specifically to him). Could this also be a function of how he starts his cruiser? Nowadays we have push button starters in cars, I'm sure it's very plausible that RoboCop starts his car with his data spike as well.

The movies? Issued by Desk Sergeant, armory, or garage attendant.

As for his weight...
it's arguable. One can easily do an estimation of how many metal, rubber, plastic, flesh, and lubricated oils would weight.
In 1989, NES answers the question in the intro screen; saying he weights 900lbs.

Which I feel maybe an inflated number to sound accurate.

But my estimation based on criteria above...
I'd put Robo at 750lbs easily. Maybe less over the years of maintanence, upgrades, and replacement parts.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Dash
CH-L3

CH-L3

Comment: Whuddup, RIBS?!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote

Hell, I'm feeling productive. Let's take a jab at some ball park of at least part of his weight. Let me also say, this a VERY loose guesstimate since there are a lot of variables we can't account for.

My Robocop suit, excluding the rings and pistons (which I don't have, sadly) has the following weights, sorted by material:

Fiberglass parts: 10.7 kg
Black upper torso (vacuum-formed plastic, maybe polystyrene): 0.575 kg
Chin and gloves (latex): 0.925 kg

Using this as a guideline, we can determine the volume of the fiberglass parts based on the assumption that my suit has roughly the same ratio of resin and glass fibers. Where v=Volume, m=Mass and D=Density:

v=m/D
v=(10700g) / (1.529g/cm3)
v=6998.038cm3

According to Wikipedia, the density of polystyrene is 1.05g/cm3:

v=(575g) / (1.05g/cm3)
v=547.619cm3

According to Answers.com (sadly, this was the only link in my VERY quick scan that mentioned the density of latex), the density of latex is 0.92 to 0.96 g/cm3. I'm going to go on the heavier side, since I'm pretty sure these gloves and chine guard would sink in water.

v=(925g) / (0.96g/cm3)
v=963.542cm3

Now, let's add all these volumes to get the volume of what is, presumably, the approximate volume of Robo's entire outer shell.

v=6998.038+547.619+963.542
v=8509.199cm3

Now, titanium by itself is as strong as some steels, but ideally, Robo was more likely made of of a titanium alloy. BUT, since we can only go by what we know from the movie, we'll use the figures for unalloyed titanium. I can't speculate on how the Kevlar factors into the weight here; that's a little beyond me. Anyway, the density of titanium is 4.506 g/cm3. Using the volume we calculated above, we can determine the armor's mass:

m=D x v
m=(4.506 g/cm3) x (8509.199cm3)
m=38,342.451g

So Robo's armor alone should weigh 38.342kg or 84.5lbs (for our American friends Wink)

So... huh. Not what I was expecting. Either my math is wrong, or science is a bitch! Well, like I said, this fun little nerd exercise has too many variables that I can't account for (especially at this hour :P). Points for effort? mr green Maybe his frame is uber-heavy. Anybody who's better at math/science than I, please feel free to correct/expand. Smile

EDIT: I should also mention that the towing capacity for the 2006-2009 Taurus, Taurus X and Mustang is 1000lbs, 2000lbs and 1000lbs respectively. With that said, even a 750lbs estimate might be a bit much. Sure, maybe the tech's better in the future, but otherwise those RoboCruiser's aren't getting much top speed... especially with Lewis and/or other passengers. Just me playing devil's advocate. Smile

RB 1863

Halo3-Helmet batman-Batmobile
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

RB 464

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard