New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop dismantled
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote

I just thought of something.

How can the claw of that gun Angie had , how can the claw tear into Robo's chest?

RB 856

game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote

chaos one :

How can the claw of that gun Angie had , how can the claw tear into Robo's chest?

It takes place in the future, a world with technology more advanced than ours. Case closed.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote

Ah okay

RB 856

game-xbox
Yrtti
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote

chaos one :

And how come angie didnt die when robo electrocuted her from his arm?
I mean It was shock powerful enough to throw her trough the air. opps

RB 11

Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Yrtti :
As somebody who has been electrocuted with enough charge to throw them through the air, the fact she survived is not that unbelievable!

RB 2548

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote

She also looked like she really hurt her neck when she landed, (or should I say the stunt woman did), but a few moments later she's standing over Robo giving him dirty looks whilst he's getting pulled apart. Guess she felt fine after all!

RB 17167

chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote

Paddy :
She also looked like she really hurt her neck when she landed, (or should I say the stunt woman did), but a few moments later she's standing over Robo giving him dirty looks whilst he's getting pulled apart. Guess she felt fine after all!

lol yeah. Actually I thought she was holding her hands cause they hurt.

RB 856

game-xbox
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote

chaos one :

Umm, well I think its rather obvious and the answers in your post - its metal claws. Shot off from a pressure gun, why wouldnt three sharp claws cling into metal plate?

Yrtti :
chaos one :

Remember Jurassic Park? Timmy got a much bigger shot and was shot of like a rocket for meters away. Electric shock like this can be dangerous but not fatal. C'mon now, we're really looking for holes here

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote

I don't understand why this specific scene of Robocop being dismantled is itself being dismantled more than Robocop himself was.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Rewatched R2 for the first time in ages last night.

Still find this scene horrific. And it's still annoying to see him not fight back. Although the scrambled POV suggests the crane did a bit of damage, he still looks strong enough to rip the chains off.

It would have been more palatable if shots of Ellen crying outside the police station and Holzgang (?) telling him he is "simply a machine" were interspaced with the POV shots. That way, it would suggest he has lost the will to live.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
Sideromelane
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote

The justification for the magnet probably has a lot to do with the myth of magnets disrupting/destroying computers, remember this movie was made when computers were still very much in their infancy compared to what we have now.

And while it is true it actually takes an enormously powerful magnet (far more powerful than available to the average Joe sitting at home poking his floppy disks with fridge magnets), something like a scrapyard electromagnet would not only be able to immobilize Robo (all those steel parts pinned flat) but the EM field being generated could also induce some hefty stray currents in his chassis. More than enough to short out any induction coils in his circuitry, any motors in his limbs would likely cease to function, or blow massive current spikes back through to his powerplant/battery.

'Magnets' disrupting electronics is somewhat of a myth, but it *is* scientifically plausible a sufficiently powerful electromagnet could shut down/paralyze Robocop, given the technology of the era.

I also assumed (need to rewatch the scene to be sure) that he was strapped to a magnetic bench too, while they were breaking him up. A friend of mine used to work in a sheet metal cutting plant, and it was important to leave anything metal including (especially) piercings in the lockers, otherwise the bench could rip them straight out. Essentially it's just a workbench styled version of the crane magnet...

EDIT: On reviewing the scene, it's not a magnetic bench, but those are some hefty chains and he's clearly already damaged. If I'm correct about what the script SAYS happened, then the electromagnet in the crane would have severely damaged/fried most of his servos/motors and blown out most of his computer support. in other words, strapping him down with chains is more of a precaution than a necessity. Also that taser weapon they hit him with must have packed some serious juice in it's own right.

RB 76

Raymond
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I have no problem with them taking Robocop apart and being able to keep it down, but the real problem is why they risk going to a police station and toss it out, no matter if its a strike going on. It's a risky operation for any criminal and it taunts the police.If they wanted to make a statement why not crucify it somewhere or put it's head on a spike or some other nasty thing, then let people stumple upon it whenever they find it. That's what a character like Cain had done rather than dumping it back to the police. I think deep within most viewers felt that Robocop got away easy considering how ruthless Cain is (remember the scene with the dirty cop)

They could have taken him apart in the factory but why not have Lewis and some cops show up and rescue Robocop in a tense scene exactly when they intend to kill it for real, for example by crushing the torso in a compactor or some other heavy machine. Could have been some real tense stuff and removed that "cop out" Robocop got.

I agree the script wasn't good. I don't like when characters are given a free card by the villain. If the villain wants to play and torture the victim and then ends up paying for it due to some unforseen event (hero escapes or gets rescued) it's one thing. But having all the time in the world like Cain's gang and still give a free pass: NOT OK. In some sense the only reason Robocop is alive is that they had mercy. And considering Robocop's kill record I think he would be the last to get mercy from any gang in Detroit. Criminals tend to hate cops big time. A supercop would get super-hate if that makes any sense.

RB 3724

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote

From Cain's point of view it is more of a show of power. As shown in a deleted scene, and the comic adaptation, Cain is fearlessly mocking the police by giving them Robo back in pieces.

Sure, you could debate whether they should have finished the job but much like Clarence leaving Murphy for dead maybe they figured it was just a matter of time or that the half dead and in pain cyborg was a more powerful statement.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Archive. The message is much clear in that comic strip, it could have worked great in the film; it is a message to the whole city, not only the police, as if the city would fill with dismay and become terrorized by Cain when they see what he did to Robo (plus the police strike, there isn't really that feeling of a city in panic as we would get in films like "The Dark Knight" / "The Dark Knight Rises").

Cain is somewhat hinted in the film as a kind of terrorist/ideologist that uses the Media to launch messages (see his video in the TV News at the beginning, and the bombing of a drug rehabilitation center). But we really see that idea developed again only when Hob offers to rescue the city with drug money.

By the way, if Robo was a superhero R2 would stablish his kryptonite... A big magnet! Another argument for the pro-2014 fans Laughing

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard