New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop script leaked? (possible spoilers??)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    INDEX -> General Robo Discussion
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that. Will check it tomorrow. Gonna be an interesting read. Smile

I suggest everyone that wants to read it, download it sooner rather than later as I may have to remove the link at some point.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote

I've given it a read and I suggest you guys do the same. I'll only say a little as I don't want to ruin it for those who choose to go in blind.

Remember that site that had the brief synopsis of this script and made some scathing points? I can say that they are well founded. The RC-2000 is a superhero and you can bet your ass he does transform (although I'm not talking full on Transformers style).

Some of the story even seems a little amateurish (condescending I know given the amount of scripts I have written) and comes across as really clichéd. You've got the standard bollocks that you would get from this type of story.

I will tell you a couple of things that are contain spoilers but only relate to the images we have seen. The RC-2000's hand is human. The biggest thing I feared according to this script is actually in there. Simply put, it is one of the few parts of Murphy remaining although I don't see why they wouldn't get rid of such a liability. The suit we have also seen is the fourth version and the one they end up going with.

There is however a few bits of violence in the script not that I was surprised to see described. Although I suspect given it's rumored rating I can imagine a fair bit of it being cut from the film. Oh, and the RC-2000 is pretty non lethal in the reboot.

To be honest I'm not overly excited. There's nothing wrong with the script but it lacks character and soul. It seems too generic and lacks any defining attributes that would separate it from a film of a similar vein. I understand however this is a draft from January of this year and no doubt has had some revisions made to it, hopefully for the better.

And thus begins my inner turmoil. I can't not see it because most of us have to watch it to see what they are doing and what direction they are going in, but I really don't want to spend money on something I will probably end up being disappointed by.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote

Im gonna give it another go tomorrow.., The whole first scene, is so played out and boring I literally start to daydream.

wish me luck.

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote

Well, having checked most of the script out, I wouldn't say it is completely awful. It has some emotional scenes that has potential, and I could see how the last battle might be entertaining. The whole social/battle mode thing is hard to get used to but might end up interesting on screen.

What worries me though is how Robo is equipped with a tazer gun. And as such more or less never kills anyone. Sure it plays to the whole idea that RoboCop is now a role-model and a product, but it could turn out incredibly lame. Even worse than the series. Padilha has some work cut out for him if he is to turn this into a non-lame movie.

So, I'm not gonna completely bash it, it has a few good moments, but overall I'm worried.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
beer
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: RoboTrap is my friend Plus he can act intelligent and normal

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote

i have red it! personally think it´s interesting and like it, it´s something completely fresh.

Two things that worries me is:Maybe the lack of violence (pg-13) and the fast storyline (that scenes are going to fast)

RB 5831

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote

beer :
i have red it! personally think it´s interesting and like it, it´s something completely fresh.

Two things that worries me is:Maybe the lack of violence (pg-13) and the fast storyline (that scenes are going to fast)

I wouldn't say it's completely fresh but I agree with you about a lot happening with short amounts of time.

It does have some good ideas. I like the idea of Murphy's wife seeing what remains of him (not a lot) and Murphy not being able to take because they deactivated his voice. It's sadistic and that kind of shit turns me on.

I also understand the idea of the RC-2000 using non lethal means but I don't go much on it. RoboCop was an over the top and excessive solution to an over the top and excessive problem.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm hoping for some revisions to make it flow better.

RB 17812

Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Worst dialogue in the script? Possibly this.

LEWIS
You don't understand. This isn't
good cop, bad cop. This is bad cop,
RoboCop.

RB 348130

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Finally finished it this morning.

first word that comes to mind is competent.

---------------spoilers below---------------------

Im also annoyed that the bare hand serves no purpose outside of one scene. It doesn't move the story, or becomes a plot device in anyway. He doesnt finger his wife with it, or grab any titties,... its visually distracting and pointless.
Even at times making robocop seem a bit handicapped since he needs to use his "steel hand" for anything robo related.
Its like hes an amputee superhero.

Aside from that.. oh my god am I gonna sound like Al Bundi talking about his football days here, but bare with me.

There's two cool Ideas I had in my treatment, that they touched on which I wouldve probably liked the script more if they went further with it. and thats the reality television aspect, and the armor product branding.
In my treatment, the upkeep of the two robocops are also tied to their ratings on tv, armor branding was simply a natural extension of that.

if either one of those aspects were fleshed out,we couldve gotten a bit more satire out of this..

Thats another big problem aside from some dumb comic relief, there's really no satire, or social commentary on whats going on today. Hell even prime directives did a bitter job in that aspect.

Archive :

LEWIS
RoboCop.

I actually groaned outloud when I read that. Im just glad Lewis isnt protrayed as the token blackguy. He isnt richard pryor in Superman4, or Samual Jackson, in diehard

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
beer
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: RoboTrap is my friend Plus he can act intelligent and normal

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote

There's a big chance there's a better script out there, this script is from januari 2012 but around March MGM hired James Van Der Bilt to rewrite the whole script so we have to wait when the final script is released. (i think)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/zodiac-amazing-spider-man-scribe-james-vanderbilt-to-rewrite-robocop-sells-action-spec-white-house-down-to-sony

Quote:
The first films of screenwriter James Vanderbilt's career were not exactly indicators of great work to come. Killer tooth fairy horror "Darkness Calls?" Botched "Rashomon" riff "Basic"? Dwayne Johnson actioner "The Rundown"? (Which is actually good fun, but not exactly high art). Certainly none suggested that one of the great screenplays of the century so far would come from Vanderbilt, but that's exactly what his script for David Fincher's "Zodiac" is, and it's helped to make him one of the most in-demand writers around.

Off the back of that, and the comic book adaptation "The Losers," Sony picked Vanderbilt to be the man to reinvent their biggest franchise with "The Amazing Spider-Man." And it seems like they're happy with what he's done: not only has the writer already been commissioned to write a sequel, but he's also written scripts for their remakes of "Total Recall" and the "Red Riding" trilogy. As such, the studio seemed like the natural home for his latest script, but that doesn't mean they didn't have to pay through the nose for it.

Variety reports that, after a fierce bidding war, Sony have acquired Vanderbilt's action spec "White House Down" for a cool $3 million, making it the biggest sale for a script so far this year., and one of the biggest of all time. As one might imagine from the title, it's an actioner set in the White House, described as "Die Hard" meets "Air Force One," which places it in remarkably similar territory to "Olympus Has Fallen," the Gerard Butler actioner announced a few weeks ago.

But Vanderbilt is moving outside the studio fold as well, to lend his script polishing skills to another action remake, this time MGM's remake of "Robocop." The film, to be directed by Jose Padilha and star Joel Kinnaman, was originally penned by Josh Zetumer, who also wrote an unused draft of "Dune," and had a polish from "Gran Torino" scribe Nick Schenck. "Robocop" hits theaters on August 9, 2013, while there's no date yet for "White House Down," but we're sure Sony, having spent that kind of money, will be moving forward with the film as soon as they can.

MGM want a rewrite. it seems that Jose Padilha, Joshua Zetumer and Nick Schenk are not good enough too write a story about ROBOCOP.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-plunking-down-3-million-306192

Quote:
In one of the biggest spec sales in quite a while, Sony has made a $3 million deal to acquire White House Down, an action spec from James Vanderbilt.
our editor recommends
James Vanderbilt Returning to Pen 'Spider-Man' Sequel (Exclusive)

Vanderbilt is a marquee scribe, with credits including Zodiac, several Spider-Man movies (including the upcoming one), and Total Recall. He even just booked a rewrite gig on MGM’s Robocop remake. Still, the $3 million tag surprised many observers especially considering there is no stars attached.Vanderbilt is also attached to produce along with his partners at production shingle Mythology, Bradley Fischer and Laeta Kalogridis. Vanderbilt is repped by WME and McKuin Frankel.

White House Down is described as being tonally and thematically like Die Hard and Air Force One.

RB 5831

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Mindchamber :
He doesnt finger his wife with it, or grab any titties

Golden.

Archive :

LEWIS
RoboCop.

There are quite a few bits in the script that made me sigh and like I said before it seems amateurish.

And Beer, that guy doesn't exactly have amazing credentials. I don't get why Sony can't seem to hire anyone worth a damn.

RB 17812

RMorrison81
O-L5

O-L5

Comment: Is there anything I can reasonably do to change your course of action..?

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote

HERE MAY BE SPOILERS

The script has probably undergone a few more revisions since that one that we've all got our hands on was published. A number of the character names have changed (I take it Antoine Vallon is now AC Freemon?) I'd be willing to bet that the final shooting script has been polished with some clunky dialogue taken out. Some dialogue I thought was great like the reference to the number of people who watched Justin Biebers execution, etc.

On the whole, I think they've got a good solid base for a story. We need to remember that this is a Robocop aimed for audiences of our present day now, and just going around shooting people isn't seen as socially acceptable. Tasers are coming into use more and more now, and it's good to see he also gets his hands on a real gun towards the end, claiming to be glad not to be using toys anymore. My only real concern is to do with the amount of different people who are referred to as convulsing and peeing themselves after being tazered, it may cause the film to lower into a parody if it's not handled correctly. Hopefully the director has though this too and has tweaked it a bit!

All in all, better than I thought it would be, and looks to have a pretty good finale.....

RB 315

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Im really curious to see his "Social mode" as I personally dont think his swat mode is all that intimidating.

RB 8111

Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote

RMorrison81 :
A number of the character names have changed (I take it Antoine Vallon is now AC Freemon?)

I noticed that, which made it a bit confusing to relate to current casting. What is Michael Keatons character (Raymond Sellars) named in the script?

RB 348130

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if they consider they're being original and clever with all the "social mode" storyline, or they know that idea was already brilliantly (and hilariously) done in R2.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard