New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Reference to the terminator series?

robodyne
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Comply Or Die

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote

The tag line of the new robocop movie: 'We Have Got The Future Under Control', do you think that it refers to the terminator franchise where the future was ruled by the machines? Robocop and terminator had some connections in the past, think this is a new one?

RB 28

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it is.

It's more OmniCorp's tagline than anything and besides, we didn't exactly have the future under control in The Terminator did we?

Wink

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Let me think about this for a sec NO..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Duke Serkol
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote

I think the most interesting potential connection between the two franchises, outside of outright crossover comics and games, could be that drone looking a lot like a Hunter Killer that's on display inside OCP in Robocop2. I'd love to see more photos of that one.

RB 454

Raymond
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote

nope but it's a good omnicop tag line because "we got the future under control" has a double meaning. Part of it is "relax, you are in safe hands", the other part is "we own you"

Robocop is more about ownership/corporate slavery (like the Delta City dream). Terminator is more about fight for survival. Judgement day. Human extinction. The end begins. We fight back

Very different in that way which the taglines also show

RB 3724

AceAlive1
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote

we'll see how the metal skeleton looks when they strip him down to whats left of him thats human.....

RB 743

robodyne
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Comply Or Die

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Josh :
I wouldn't say it is.

It's more OmniCorp's tagline than anything and besides, we didn't exactly have the future under control in The Terminator did we?

Wink

I guess i should have written it more clearly, i meant that.... the future in the Terminator franchise was out of control for the humans, it was total chaos mainly because of the over dependence on the machines but the tag line of Omni corporation and the robocop movie is that THEY have the future under control, and from the photos and the news about the new robo movie, OCP does exactly the same here, they have unmanned intelligent drones on the war front, the ED-209 units and some other cool robots (if on set rumors are to be believed they will even have an all robot fight sequence)
Maybe its a subtle nod there, maybe its only applicable to the ocp and their motto in the robo universe..... but nevertheless, that line reminded me of the terminator franchise and how horribly things went wrong for humans there ...

RB 28

Raymond
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote

robodyne :
I guess i should have written it more clearly, i meant that.... the future in the Terminator franchise was out of control for the humans, it was total chaos mainly because of the over dependence on the machines but the tag line of Omni corporation and the robocop movie is that THEY have the future under control, and from the photos and the news about the new robo movie, OCP does exactly the same here, they have unmanned intelligent drones on the war front, the ED-209 units and some other cool robots (if on set rumors are to be believed they will even have an all robot fight sequence)

Disagree. In terminator series it doesn't go out of control because of dependence on drones/machines. It was out of control because Skynet got self-aware and made it out of control. There was no real dependence on machines/drones by the time of Judgement Day. Most of terminators were just prototypes used for testing/defensive purposes and the average joe probably had never seen one in use. The problem was that Skynet was running the entire defense infrastructure, including weapons of mass destruction. It used WMDs to take control. Then it used terminators as "clean up crew" to wipe out the remaining threats.

In the robocop universe there is no "SUPER AI" that i know of at least. Omnicorp is also a public company with stock that is at the mercy of the market. If Omnicorp screws up too badly the stock will plummet and someone will buy them up. This actually happens to OCP between Robocop 2 and 3. A japanse megacorporation assumes control of OCP.

How much Robocop 2014 flirts with terminator remains to be seen because i don't think the tagline is a reference at all. But yeah sure I think Robocop 87 had a lot of nods to Terminator 1, even used the soundtrack in the original trailer Smile

RB 3724

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard