New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

The best Game developers for a Robocop game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

beer
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: RoboTrap is my friend Plus he can act intelligent and normal

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I have a friend who works in the game industry for many Companies, really many!

What's your top ten list for a company who can make the best Robocop game?

Please, Reply so that i can forward this to him! and that he can ask the companies if they have plans or not, if not he will ask them for the reason.

Please do your Best!

RB 5831

JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Please remember that the ultimate problem with Robo (Well classic Robo) is that its going to be really hard to make a game based around a guy who is impervious to bullets.

1) Ubisoft
Why? - Looking at Tom Clancy's GRAW series, they have the basic engine to do a good Robocop feeling game. Plus a lot of their games have heart (Assassin's Creed, Beyond Good and Evil) and yes while they do milk the franchises to death their games have never really been offensively bad.

2) Epic Games
Why? - Lets face it, a Modern Robocop game would be made with the Unreal Engine 3 anyway. And remember that they aren't only the Gears guys they also have People Can Fly (Bulletstorm and Painkiller)

3) Gearbox
Why? - I'm not a huge Borderlands fan. BUT Look at Aliens Coloniel Marines and tell me thats not what you would imagine a good Aliens game would look like? If they put that much love into a Robocop game I would actually play Borderlands.

4) Valve
Why? - Its fucking Valve. VALVE. Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead. Play those games. Then tell me why not. The atmosphere and script would be excellent.

5) Activision/EA(DICE)
Why? - Even though everyone hates them They both have great tech and proven FPS franchise power behind them. CoD and Battlefield. Plus I gotta believe that if they wanted an Activision Robocop game would be great because of the cinematics and soundtrack. An EA one would be slightly worse if only because MoH: Warfighter (Hahahaha) is a giant pile of wank.

6) 343i/Bungie
Why? - The masters of Halo. 343i have taken on the torch from Bungie and produced an excellent single player exepierence and Bungie's Halo games single player genuinely improved with each game.

7) Indie Devs.
Why? - Seriously. The UDK is free and I believe Havok is now free. The only problem is time and people's lives.

8) Edios/Square Enix
Why? - Deus Ex. It has a Robocop easter egg. Job Done.

9) Sega.
Why? - Because I love Sega. And to be fair they commissioned Aliens Coloniel Marines.

10) Rebellion
Why? - You never know they might end up making a good game again that isn't another AVP reboot.

11) Capcom.
Why? - Because it might get them to stop fucking making Lost Planet Sequels no one wanted.

12) Konami
Why? - Because it would be fucking hilarious to see Hideo Kojima develop a Robocop game.

13) Tecmo Koei/Namco Bandai
Why? - Tits and fighting. This is what these two companies do.

Edit:
These guys much higher in the list actually - Rocksteady Studios. Although owned by WB these guys made the Batman: Arkham series and the rather quite nice Urban Chaos on the PS2. Not the GTA 3 before GTA 3. There was a FPS.

Rockstar/Take 2.
Again much higher. Bioshock series, Red Dead and GTA. Some of the most brilliant games ever.

RB 710

cake
beer
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: RoboTrap is my friend Plus he can act intelligent and normal

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote

JohnBoyAdvance :
Please remember that the ultimate problem with Robo (Well classic Robo) is that its going to be really hard to make a game based around a guy who is impervious to bullets.

1) Ubisoft
Why? - Looking at Tom Clancy's GRAW series, they have the basic engine to do a good Robocop feeling game. Plus a lot of their games have heart (Assassin's Creed, Beyond Good and Evil) and yes while they do milk the franchises to death their games have never really been offensively bad.

2) Epic Games
Why? - Lets face it, a Modern Robocop game would be made with the Unreal Engine 3 anyway. And remember that they aren't only the Gears guys they also have People Can Fly (Bulletstorm and Painkiller)

3) Gearbox
Why? - I'm not a huge Borderlands fan. BUT Look at Aliens Coloniel Marines and tell me thats not what you would imagine a good Aliens game would look like? If they put that much love into a Robocop game I would actually play Borderlands.

4) Valve
Why? - Its fucking Valve. VALVE. Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead. Play those games. Then tell me why not. The atmosphere and script would be excellent.

5) Activision/EA(DICE)
Why? - Even though everyone hates them They both have great tech and proven FPS franchise power behind them. CoD and Battlefield. Plus I gotta believe that if they wanted an Activision Robocop game would be great because of the cinematics and soundtrack. An EA one would be slightly worse if only because MoH: Warfighter (Hahahaha) is a giant pile of wank.

6) 343i/Bungie
Why? - The masters of Halo. 343i have taken on the torch from Bungie and produced an excellent single player exepierence and Bungie's Halo games single player genuinely improved with each game.

7) Indie Devs.
Why? - Seriously. The UDK is free and I believe Havok is now free. The only problem is time and people's lives.

8) Edios/Square Enix
Why? - Deus Ex. It has a Robocop easter egg. Job Done.

9) Sega.
Why? - Because I love Sega. And to be fair they commissioned Aliens Coloniel Marines.

10) Rebellion
Why? - You never know they might end up making a good game again that isn't another AVP reboot.

11) Capcom.
Why? - Because it might get them to stop fucking making Lost Planet Sequels no one wanted.

12) Konami
Why? - Because it would be fucking hilarious to see Hideo Kojima develop a Robocop game.

13) Tecmo Koei/Namco Bandai
Why? - Tits and fighting. This is what these two companies do.

Edit:
These guys much higher in the list actually - Rocksteady Studios. Although owned by WB these guys made the Batman: Arkham series and the rather quite nice Urban Chaos on the PS2. Not the GTA 3 before GTA 3. There was a FPS.

Rockstar/Take 2.
Again much higher. Bioshock series, Red Dead and GTA. Some of the most brilliant games ever.

Almost 2 months later!
I won´t use their name, also not from the companies! but i copy and paste their text!

Game developers... a friend of mine, who LOVES Robocop, would like to hear your opinion about the following (copy and paste): The best Game developers for a Robocop game?

(person 1):Can I first ask the basic question why any of those would be interested in doing a Robocop game? Oh nevermind, i see they are remaking the movie...ok then. My favorite would be Valve from your list, since they have the xperience to make great story-driven FPS games...and face it, Robocop would be a shooter. I would like to add Bethesda...the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the Robocop I remember seems a good fit with Fall Out, and technically they are one of the best teams out there. As a sidenote, I am pretty sure Robocop will be made with UE4, not 3...that is ancient Wink

(person 1): I don't think Valve or Bethesda would do it btw, they create their own...

(Person 2):None of the above. Games based on movie franchises have almost time and time again shown to fail simply because the IP is too restrictive to properly use for game development. Also, in the current market I don't think the Robocop IP is interesting enough for most to even touch, story-wise. AAA is in the midst of a crisis where only a few IP live and make it through to the next round. Mid-AA is having an even harder time and indies won't touch it at all, they're having too much fun developing their own relatively successful ideas (just look at the many Kickstarter projects and Steam's Greenlight projects).

The problem with Robocop is that it's a true 80s movie hero. It features a lot of action and shooting but it has the emotional depth of a ceramic plate. Games nowadays require more and more storytelling to be engaging.

All of the above my own opinion, of course, but readily influenced by my exposure to all kinds of game developers in the past 1,5–2 ye

(person 1): I think the latest Transformers games show it can be done, if the developer is passionate about the property, and gets the freedom to build on a movie, not follow it. I dont agree either that triple-A is in a crisis...the mid-range absolutely is. Oh and dont let Kickstarter fool you...70% of funded projects are failing hard, in my opinion resulting in a total collapse of the general approach. I've seen at least 3 projects begging for more money after just one month, and two that don't even receive updates anymore at all.

(more Conversations are on the way)

RB 5831

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

The problem with Robocop is that it's a true 80s movie hero. It features a lot of action and shooting but it has the emotional depth of a ceramic plate.

What a moron. RoboCop doesn´t have an "emotional depth"? I think it was the success of the flick. The emotional core of the story.

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote

I agree. What an extremely dumb statement. Anything further they have to say is rendered pointless as they clearly have no knowledge of the movie or the character.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote

Lol, alot of circle jerking.

Robocop would work great as a 3rd person shooter, in the vain of the new transfromers game. make sure the AI is sharp and bam, fun game

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote

I'd say Rocksteady Games who made Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Although the character and world were already established they made a licensed game that didn't suck more than a two mouthed hooker.

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote

Josh :
a two mouthed hooker.

Hm.

As Jose said, a 3rd person would be nice. Robo has a cool design, would be good to show it. If they´d go with the new one, imagine a first person shooter: a human hand with a black pistol. tongue

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Josh :
a two mouthed hooker.

Hm.

As Jose said, a 3rd person would be nice. Robo has a cool design, would be good to show it. If they´d go with the new one, imagine a first person shooter: a human hand with a black pistol. tongue

yuk

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote

JohnBoyAdvance :

3) Gearbox

Ignore this guy. He was drinking the kool aid

RB 710

cake
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote

The obvious answer is Wizards of the Coast.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote

'Emotional depth of a ceramic plate'. Bah, sounds like someone who only ever saw R3 again. :roll:

Anyway, this was an interesting read, if perhaps a bit old. I agree wholeheartedly with MC about a third-person setup.

Rockstar would be nice, though that's expected, and perhaps a slightly overrated choice. Valve and Ubisoft are good picks too. I wouldn't mind seeing what Valve could do with it particularly.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind playing another first person shooter, I just wish they made a decent version of it instead of the Titus game...and it better not have those goddamn Call of Duty mechanics, I'm getting real tired of those games. They're so overrated.

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
CroRoboCop
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote

Well, lets see. Robocop would be primarily a sort of shooter game right? Or a free roam game set in open Detroit right? I guess that would be preferable.

The biggest problem is Robocop speed. He cant really sprint and at best he can have that mild speed boost like when he dodged a truck and Emile rammed it in the toxic waste. So, it would have to be a sort of game where you (player) are truly a walking tank (Robocop). You move slow but you lay waste at both close, medium and long range, thanks to the aiming system and the trusty Auto 9, heck maybe even Cobra canon... Very Happy

Other big problem would be basic invincibility against common criminals, where only heavily armed criminals with military hardware would be a match for Robo. I am not sure how they should deal with that. I probably wouldnt mind seeing Robocop fall down after a hail of heavy gunfire, but other fans might have to say something against it.

Now, I am really having a tough time thinking of a fitting development studio for such a game.

From Europe I would recommend Techland for a straight up shooter in the vein of Call of Juarez games (I love those)... They would supply the game with an infinite amount of bloody gore with ever bullet hit (it looked great in COJ: Gunslinger), not to mention some black humor and the true thrill of a gunfight.

Also I like the idea of Robocop open world RPG and for that I would like to get CDProjekt from Poland. Imagine an RPG game with Robocop as the central character. Here you can grind your Robo with experience for a better aiming, better weapons, better abilities, harder armor, etc. And then on the streets you decide whom to help first... You get a few reports on diffrent crimes happening on the varying distances from you current location and you decide priority on them, as well as disarming the perps or simply dispatching them on the spot. Main quest line would be about Murphy trying to hold onto his humanity while city decays around him, eventually culminating in the city wide battle among criminals, police and civilians.

From USA I would vouch for a studio like Volition, becuse of a great work they did with a licensed Punisher game and open world Saints Row games. I am sure they would bring a ton of great dark humor to the project, as well as over the top violence and characters.

I the end I just want to say that a true Robocop game that does justice to the first movie has been my childhood dream and that the very thought of moving down criminals in the drug factory in the Robocop armor with Basil Poledouris theme playing in the background sounds heavenly. Thats all from me!

RB 192

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard