New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: Last Stand - Comic series by Boom Studios
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote

Demise :
When did everybody get so Robo Jaded?

Somewhere between Prime Directives and curly eyelash Robo key-chain figures. :roll:

I've never been big on comics, even for Robo, but Demise's comment actually got me to take a look at the preview art.

And for me, the art is.. well, subpar. Is it horrible? No. But is it great? Not really. I agree a lot with David - it feels fake and like some kind of parody, and proportions do look screwy in some spots. Now some parts actually do look ok but generally it seems a bit off.

The cover art actually looks ok. It definitely has a more straight feel to it than the other pages. I would have liked to see the interior done in that matter. But not to be it seems.

Now yes I too have seen more horrible comic art, even in RoboCop. I don't allow that as an excuse myself but indeed it could have been worse. So I suppose there's that.

As for being negative, honestly Demise, we've had almost nothing but sheer disappointment and failure for the last 15-odd years. I will admit people could be a bit more open-minded but having real optimism is gonna be hard thing to ask around here to be honest, and given the RoboCop franchise's track-record, I don't blame them that much (Though I hope the new film and this new interest will change things).

Still, all said and done, people are just expressing their opinions based on what is available. If they're positive, great. If they're negative, then that's just too bad. Not really anything else to it as far as I'm concerned.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Burnout
C-L4

C-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote

So the first issue is up on the torrent sites, I wanted to see what I was buying before heading to the book store. I actually don't hate it and am curious to see more.

Pretty neat. Though he always looks smooshed lol

RB 5960

game-xbox360 Ed-260 doctor-who-dalek ED-209-3D darkman-figure judge-dredd TMNT
chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote

Well Robo isn't drooling crap, I can actually make out what's going on in the pages that isn't covered with background garbage (Jose Ryp is TRASH).

That page alone is better than the other comic

RB 856

game-xbox
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote

thats actually not terrible

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote

beer :

I agree with you 100%. I like the art in the Comic.

It is statements like this by posters like beer that make me question myself. I love you beer but if you agree with me 100% I have to take a serious introspective look at myself... tongue

Really though I know it has been downhill since Robo 3 but we are all very different people than who we were when we first saw the original and we are going to feel differently now even if it was the original we were viewing for the first time. I am going to take my exited son to the movies and get popcorn and soda and really enjoy something. I know it. How could I not? It has to be better than Robo 3 and prime directives combined.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
beer
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: RoboTrap is my friend Plus he can act intelligent and normal

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/robocop-last-stand-1-review

RoboCop: Last Stand #1 Review
Protect the innocent, uphold the law.

by Benjamin Bailey
August 7, 2013

Full disclosure: I love the works of Frank Miller. Pretty much everything he's ever done. RoboCop: Last Stand #1 is based on Frank Miller's screenplay for RoboCop 3 and it just oozes Miller on nearly every page. If you are a fan of his work, any of it, you'll no doubt find something to enjoy in this issue. RoboCop comics have had a spotty history – so have the films, for that matter – but this book captures that special feeling of the original movie without treading the same ground. If you are a fan of this world, check out this comic and you won't be disappointed.

Steven Grant is no slouch in the writing department and does a hell of a job here. Grant manages to inject some of his own flair for pacing and structure -- the man wrote some of the best Punisher stories ever committed to page -- while still letting Miller's story and influence bleed through. The end result reads a lot like Grant peppered with Miller story staples and that is in no way a bad thing. There's action, insanely bad guys doing insanely bad things, and plenty of moments of RoboCop kicking ass.

Korkut Oztekin is an inspired choice for art, as his work feels like something out of the era this work is trying to capture. Few modern comics look and move like RoboCop: Last Stand #1, which is probably a good thing. The RoboCop series has always been a run down alternative future, and the art of this issue captures that. There's a lot of setup in this issue, but the few moments of action we get are pretty damn awesome, so it's fair to say that hopes are high for the future of this series. I thought about inserting an “I'd buy that for a dollar!” joke at the end here, but that's just too obvious, right?

RoboCop: Last Stand #1 is a great comic for one of the world's best action character 8.8 for This comic Very Happy Shocked

This Comic looks very interesting.

RB 5831

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Its great I have my issues with the art changing slightly page to page,But this is a top notch book,Kudo's Boom Studios!

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Robo certainly looks alright, this page is a bit better than the other panels previous shown. Of course it actually has Robo in it so maybe I'm a bit biased. Smile Still, vegas says the art changes so there ya go. Those other panels weren't making it for me. This one here is.

Demise :
It has to be better than Robo 3 and prime directives combined.

Slightly off-point, but I hope so. I know for fact nothing can be worse than Prime Directives. Mathematical impossibility. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Burnout
C-L4

C-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote

My spoiler free review

Personally I thought the book got off to a slightly slow start. They made it a point to go through media break segments and a few fake commercials which I admit did set the tone, but Robocops actual story did not enter until well over the half way point of the issue. But those last 5 or 6 pages really got me interested in what will happen next, and did a good amount of character building that I felt was missing in the first half.

The book also feels very short, partly due to the middle portion being entire page spreads of single action shots(much like my above screen capture) and very little dialog.

Also, and this may have been intentional, the book seems to start in the middle of things. This would not be a problem except they reference and briefly flash back (in single, unexplained panels) to events that have not happened in the book itself. I could follow it, but things were a tad confusing.

All in all the first issue has a bumpy but promising start.

RB 5960

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote

Burnout :
The book also feels very short, partly due to the middle portion being entire page spreads of single action shots(much like my above screen capture) and very little dialog.

Also, and this may have been intentional, the book seems to start in the middle of things. This would not be a problem except they reference and briefly flash back (in single, unexplained panels) to events that have not happened in the book itself. I could follow it, but things were a tad confusing.

Agree with you. About the art, I´m still thinking the same. And another thing: it just me or the art gets rushed and rushed page after page? I can see the publishers yelling to the artist to get the pages in 12 hours or something like that...

Sorry again for all the diehard RoboCop products supporters, but I still don´t dig the art. tongue

On the other hand, I check the cover artist´s portfolio on the net and I liked his job Very Happy

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
I know for fact nothing can be worse than Prime Directives. Mathematical impossibility. tongue

Thanks Stan The Man, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week Laughing

I still can't make my mind up whether to get this comic series or not.
The die hard fan in me says buy it obviously.
The 'I don't want to be disappointed again fan' in me says don't waste your money.

I think I am waiting for someone to really jump up and down and explain what brilliant story it is and how it pushes the Robocop character into a whole new exciting adventure and further builds on the characters that we all love, but (unfortunately) so far I haven't heard this...

RB 4892

Ed-260
Burnout
C-L4

C-L4

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
Stan The Man :
I know for fact nothing can be worse than Prime Directives. Mathematical impossibility. tongue

Thanks Stan The Man, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week Laughing

I still can't make my mind up whether to get this comic series or not.
The die hard fan in me says buy it obviously.
The 'I don't want to be disappointed again fan' in me says don't waste your money.

I think I am waiting for someone to really jump up and down and explain what brilliant story it is and how it pushes the Robocop character into a whole new exciting adventure and further builds on the characters that we all love, but (unfortunately) so far I haven't heard this...

Well the next issue will really make or break in terms of story, being that story was only the real focus towards the end of the issue. But seriously, the book is like $3 bucks USD, not exactly a wallet breaking commitment.

RB 5960

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote

Its far from a disappointing book.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote

Burnout :
Well the next issue will really make or break in terms of story, being that story was only the real focus towards the end of the issue. But seriously, the book is like $3 bucks USD, not exactly a wallet breaking commitment.

Cool, maybe I need to splash out!

"I'd buy that for $3"

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard