New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Remakes that are better than the original
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote

There are more remakes than you can imagine, some films you may like are remakes and you didn't know! tongue1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_A-M
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_N-Z

Scarface is a good remake, although I like the old original too by Howard Hawks with Paul Muni.

The Ten Commandments is a good remake by the same director (the original one was silent), as well as Ben-Hur which is far superior to the silent one (although both are an adaptation).

The Thing by John Carpenter is usually considered a good remake.

Cape Fear by Scorsesse with De Niro is also considered to be a good remake.

Fans of zombie films usually like Dawn of the Dead by Zack Snyder.

The Seven Magnificent is not better than Kurosawa's Seven Samurai but is more famous.

A Fistful Of Dollars by Sergio Leone with Clint Eastwood is another remake more famous than the original, Kurosawa's Yojimbo (although critics consider Yojimbo to be an adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's novel Red Harvest).

True Lies is supposed to be a remake of a French film I haven't seen.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Comment: "You gotta ask yourself one question, ED209, do you feel lucky?"

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote

What about Heat? This classic cop action thriller was Michael Mann's version of his own film LA Takedown which was a TV movie from 1989. You can never beat a combination as talented and powerful as De Niro, Pacino, Voight and Kilmer.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Didn't see Star Wars on that list, it's a remake of Akira Kurosawa's samurai movie The Hidden Fortress... even copied the 'wipe' technique Kurosawa used for the film!

CREDITS 1476

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
gez1967
drop it . dead or alive your coming with me

L-L3

Comment: looking for me

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
There are more remakes than you may imagine, some films you may like are remakes and you didn't know! tongue1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_A-M
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_N-Z

Scarface is a good remake, although I like the old original too by Howard Hawks with Paul Muni.

The Ten Commandments is a good remake by the same director (the original one was silent), as well as Ben-Hur which is far superior to the silent one (although both are an adaptation).

The Thing by John Carpenter is usually considered a good remake.

Cape Fear by Scorsesse with De Niro is also considered to be a good remake.

Fans of zombie films usually like Dawn of the Dead by Zack Snyder.

The Seven Magnificent is not better than Kurosawa's Seven Samurai but is more famous.

A Fistful Of Dollars by Sergio Leone with Clint Eastwood is another remake more famous than the original, Kurosawa's Yojimbo (although critics consider Yojimbo to be an adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's novel Red Harvest).

True Lies is supposed to be a remake of a French film I haven't seen.

wooooow dint no there was that many I was shocked on how many there was

CREDITS 578

robocop3-gunarm ultra1 dc-superman VoorHees-Mask ultra5 remake1 transformers-icon1 batman-Batmobile
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Technically it was a reboot, but I prefer 2008's The Incredible Hulk over the 2003 Ang Lee Hulk movie. Lots more action and thrills plus it pays a direct homage to the late 1970s TV series.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Also, Point Of No Return (The Assassin) was a commendable remake of Luc Besson's Nikita, but it wasn't better.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Zentron :
Didn't see Star Wars on that list, it's a remake of Akira Kurosawa's samurai movie The Hidden Fortress... even copied the 'wipe' technique Kurosawa used for the film!

Well, I have to strongly disagree there, 'Star Wars' drew some inspiration from 'The Hidden Fortress' but it wasn't a remake of it at all.

It's like saying "Terminator" is a remake of "Westworld" because it has some common elements and drew some inspiration. Or going further saying "Robocop" is a remake of any film about the "Golem" or "Frankenstein". One thing is an influence, and another a remake.

Compare "The seven magnificent" and "Seven samurai", "A fistful of dollars" and "Yojimbo" to see what is exactly a remake of a film by Kuwosawa, recreating the whole story and most of the narrative and characters, just changing the context from feudal japan to the old american west.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote

I thought remakes, were just that.. remakes of films, sames title same characters just..remade.

I prefer Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame over previous versions

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Steve Freeling
Patriarch of the Freeling clan

O-L2

Comment: Let's give him what he wants.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote

I prefer Three Men and a Baby to Trois hommes et un couffin

CREDITS 9

game-xbox
Term180
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: "My Neo Kobe Pizza! It sank... just like the rest of this city's gonna!"

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I liked the Night of the Living Dead remake and the Friday the 13th one- these are the only two I feel comfortable saying are superior to the originals, and to be fair the original Friday the 13th was never the most popular one.

Someday I need to get around to watching the Assault on Precinct 13 remake, as I loved the original and I've heard the remake was decent.

The original Scarface felt more serious, bleak, but it had its trademark moments, and it was a lot closer to Al Capone's life than the Tony Montana character, though I prefer Pacino's portrayal; really it was a brilliant idea at the time, to modernize a film about Al Capone profiting from prohibition, to have Tony Montana do the same with coke.
In the end the only real reason coke is illegal is so politicians and the CIA can profit from smuggling it, but I'm getting off-topic here.

As for TV-to-film translations-
I think the most disappointing adaptation, for me, was 21 Jumpstreet.
Somewhere, some asshole said "let's make this drama show into a comedy movie", and took a giant-sized shit on a franchise they had no right to mess with, but that's still off-topic so I'm gonna stop rambling now Smile

CREDITS 22

game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote

2005's Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't that impressive to me.. not far off of most action flicks. Never seen the original but I have a feeling there was a bit more horror to it than that, being from Carpenter and all.

Almost all the remakes I've watched I've also seen the originals or prior versions and the remakes I have seen don't even come close to those original versions let alone trump it... We rented from the library a two-disc set of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', had the original and the remake... the original I actually felt and enjoyed, the remake was droll. The vast majority of remakes I have seen are pretty much the same in the regard.

Dawn of the Dead was great. Better than the original? Maybe, but I wouldn't say so.

I did like Four Brothers, it was good. But I haven't seen the original so I don't know how it compares. Again, good as it is to me, it probably doesn't.

I'm about to G on the list so far...

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
omnicorp
R-L4

R-L4

Comment: We've got the future under control

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Evil dead 2 is a remake of Evil dead isnt it ? 2 is better

CREDITS 7

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote

Haha!..You are correct sir...!

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
omnicorp
R-L4

R-L4

Comment: We've got the future under control

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote

I think that is one of the better ones .... same director though .... it was Sam raimi's baby i suppose ....
Amazing spiderman ( even though it didnt need it ) was good too Smile

CREDITS 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard