New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Vote RoboCop (2014) !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

RoboCop (2014)
10 - Masterpiece
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
9 - Excellent
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
8 - Very Good
20%
 20%  [ 16 ]
7 - Good
26%
 26%  [ 21 ]
6 - Interesting
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
5 - Mediocre
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
4 - Bad
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
3 or less - Really bad
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 78

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
I'd say there's a good argument for the reboot being a better film.

It's not my opinion but I'd say there's an argument for it.

I have yet to hear this good argument.
It is a matter of opinion of course, but breaking it down I don't see how Robo2014 is in any way a "better" movie.

The soundtrack is not better. Nor is the acting or the characters. The camera work, structure and direction is certainly not better. Naturally the visual CG effects and all that are better, but that is about it.

But sure, Robo2014 has better and larger plot holes if that works... Neutral

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Well, sadly I meet an increasing amount of people that "hate" to watch old films, and yes I said old, anything from the 80's or 90's is old for them.

And I'm not talking about teenagers, but people in their thirties who obviously never developed in the past a big passion for films, but still they can consume a big amount of new and recent cinema. For these any film old enough to have actors they don't know (and you would be shocked, actors like Robert DeNiro would enter that cathegory), to have non CGI special effects, or just to feel and look old (cars, costumes, technology, etc.) are just painful to watch. They just don't see the point, they cannot talk with friends and colleagues about old films and actors, that's not cool.

These creatures can watch a remake like "Carrie" and find it interesting, but will never watch the original film from the 70's. Never. And again you would be surprised how many they are.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote

I don't think the opinions of those casual movie goers really matter all that much. I'm first and foremost interested in the opinion of people that love movies as a hobby or an art form. People have to be able to analyse the structure and plot of a movie in greater details than just "it was cool." It's a similar thing with music, games or even rollercoasters. There are people that are passionate about certain things and then there are casual people who just don't have a clue or even care. They just like to look at the pretty colors or dance to the fattest beats.

Speaking as guy that is passionate about movies and has seen a lot of them, there is no scenario where RoboCop 2014 is a great movie. It just has too many flaws on too many levels for it to work out.

It is perfectly OK to like or love it, I have many guilty pleasure movies such as the absolutely awful "Highlander2", but again, there is no scenario where RoboCop 2014 is a great movie. For someone to even hint that it is better than RoboCop 1987 is just outing one self as completely clueless when it comes to movies.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
It is perfectly OK to like or love it, I have many guilty pleasure movies such as the absolutely awful "Highlander2", but again, there is no scenario where RoboCop 2014 is a great movie. For someone to even hint that it is better than RoboCop 1987 is just outing one self as completely clueless when it comes to movies.

Could be possible that people gave up on Hollywood films? Because it seems some people get happy with poor made movies. I see people faint for all those big blockbusters. I wonīt say the 100% of these films are crap, but they look the same. Big explosions. Big destruction. Big CGI effects. Thatīs all.

I remember when I came from RoboCop (2014) some fans of the original said that the reboot was some kind of masterpiece. Canīt understand that, except that one of those fans is a young one, and could be impressed easily.

I talked with a friend about the reboot as well, she saw it some weeks ago, and she fell asleep at half of the movie. She said that she couldnīt relate to the character like in the original, and get bored with this version.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote

Not really. A lot of people love the new movie. They just don't spend all day on internet forums slagging it off.

Nothing personal against anyone here, but as a fan of RoboCop since seeing the original on VHS 24 years ago, I'm kind of sick and depressed of the hate the movie's been getting by some people who I seriously question their motives.

It's like the constant bullshit rumour - YES BULLSHIT - about Padhila. Someone spread a rumour about him falling out with the execs early on. He said it wasn't true. But still now, you're all gonna reply with your theories as to why that's incorrect, because obviously you'd know more about Padhila's opinions than Padhila himself.

I feel quite ashamed to be a RoboCop fan sometimes. Until I watch the 2014 movie again, and I go, 'This is fucking awesome.'

Don't like it? Go and talk about the original all day.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote

I don't think you should misfire any frustration and anger to the fans. The underperforming box-office (especially poor in the US) and the low imdb 6.4 rating are the reason why this film has not succeed. If you know "a lot" of people who loved it I can tell you according to those numbers that many more did not, and they don't even know who Jose Padilha is so they could care less about any fight with executive producers (and in fact those rumours try always to exonerate Padilha from all the films flaws and holes, so even if untrue they are just the opposite to bullshitting him).

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Nothing personal against anyone here, but as a fan of RoboCop since seeing the original on VHS 24 years ago, I'm kind of sick and depressed of the hate the movie's been getting by some people who I seriously question their motives.

I like Robo2014. I honestly don't hate it and enjoy it for what it is. Just like I enjoy RoboCop2 although that is also a very flawed movie. I like it DESPITE of its many flaws, but I am aware of them.

RoboCop2014 has a lot of problems, in script and execution. We can't be in denial about that. Calling it a masterpiece in cinematic history just doesn't work. It doesn't compare to similar movies that have much more thought and SKILL put into them.

A perfect example is ending the movie on a low point with "the Novak element" instead of the highpoint that is the doors closing on the family reunion. A bad and almost amateurish mistake.

RB 348130

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Bah, has to be this kind of thing when I'm off the net for a couple days (stupid modem and latency issues..) Anyway, Archive has said it all, he's said it before, as have I and numerous others who enjoy and appreciate film - The new RoboCop film does not compare to the original, nor is it a cinematic masterpiece in general.

Make your claims and observations all you want but the fact of the matter is it is a mediocre film, especially when comparing to other true masterpiece films even within just my lifetime, let alone for the last half century or so. It does not enter into that upper level of films, and it certainly provides no real improvement over the original. It has differences and new slants, but nothing that I can consider an 'improvement' for the most part. As Archive aptly stated, most of it's major elements are inferior. And as he also said, if there is a good argument for the remakeboot being a truly better film overall than the 1987 RoboCop, I too have yet to see it.

RoboCop 2014 may be a 'masterpiece' to those ignorants that artuditu mentions, people who by choice fail to appreciate older movies despite their greatness and are ready to fork over their wages for such 'amazing' hyperactive effects-laden things as the new Transformers film but for people like me, Archive, artu and most of the rest of us that are fans of movies, who love films and have watched countless examples made all over the place in regards to date, the remake just doesn't register as something to be highly-regarded. Plain and simple.

Anyone who really thinks this new film is 'better in every way' than the original is such an ignorant fool, clueless, a cretin with such a severely flawed perspective in regards to both cinema and this particular franchise that their opinions are worthless for any critical analysis. Insulting? Absolutely, but I'm calling it like I see it. And if it isn't that, then it must be trolling, still worthless.

JimMeetsAliens :
Not really. A lot of people love the new movie. They just don't spend all day on internet forums slagging it off.

I feel quite ashamed to be a RoboCop fan sometimes. Until I watch the 2014 movie again, and I go, 'This is fucking awesome.'

Don't like it? Go and talk about the original all day.

As it's been pointed out, if there really are a 'lot' of people who love the movie, I ain't seein' them. Otherwise, I think outside of many of us wanting something better than we got, and the disappointment resulting from that, there are no ulterior motives here, and if there are, I haven't seen 'em. Artuditu said it, and several of us went over this same crap with that Arrofa asshole ages ago in the 'Box Office' thread - The reason the film is not well-regarded and gets shit on has little if absolutely nothing to do with blind hating by fans, and even if it is, that's not the case here, so your ire in regards to us is pointless. It's not as if there's no reason at all to actually despise the new film, but no one on here has stated their dislike of R2014 just for the hell of it. In any event, in regards to this discussion board, we have just as much right to talk about the remake as anyone, regardless of whether our remarks are not so positive or to a particular person's liking. You may be tired of the negativity (and I agree, it gets a bit much even for me sometimes, and I hardly love the new film), but you don't think we get sick when we see comments saying the remake is a masterpiece and is better than the original? Just saying that the door swings both ways here.

That said, though I have said this before, I, like Archive, do NOT hate the new film. I do NOT think it's the worst piece of cinema ever made. I DO believe it's decent, watchable, not too bad. But I do NOT think it's good, either - It is flawed and has serious problems. Despite these problems I can look past them and accept the film to an extent but I will not ignore them or shove them aside, nor will I attempt to purport this thing as a masterpiece when it plainly isn't or say it's better than the original when it's not. THAT is bullshit, too.

Anyway, you stated that while the argument can be made it wasn't one you'd make, nor was it a feeling you shared, so I don't mean to jump down your throat Jim - I get you're just trying to play devils advocate here and all that. But for someone who really thinks this new film is better than the original, and in doing so is more-or-less is pissing on the original film, all when it's painfully evident that it is just not true, there's no defense, no valid argument I can see that can support that.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Are we going back to this again..?..Lets be clear the Remake was garbage slow as hell and about as exciting as a fuckin' root canal..Coming on here and proclaiming the excellence of 2014 is simply trolling..You can love t all you want I love some terrible films myself "Megaforce" but I can be real with myself and admit its a shit film..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :

I havenīt seen a lot of people loving the film either. Iīve seen opinions from "itīs crap" to "itīs ok". But I only knew two people who loved the film. The same kind of people who adore "Man of Steel", just to say it was "shit" some weeks after they watch it.

Iīd assume most of the lovers of the reboot would be kids/teenagers who love videogames. Nothing bad here, itīs fine to like videogames, but I donīt play them. The action in this film looks like a videogame (the POV shooting, Robo Vs ED-209).

Itīs not the crappiest film ever (and I like some crappy films as well), but it fails as an original film (a lot of people pointed that it has its problems about structure and ideas popping here and there), and gets worse if you compare it to RoboCop.

Hell, I love -almost- every Robothing made, but this is not the RoboCop I knew. People could say "thatīs the point", but when you go as far as changing his origin, his design and his personality, it lacks the "spirit" of the original character. And I think theyīd get a better response from audiences if they called it "CyberDetective" or something like that. People would think itīs an ok film, and fans of the character wouldnīt shit on it.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote

What is the point in posting if it just gets edited out? oh dear

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
kodatarule
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Comment: RoboCop is the best.Terminator good,but RoboCop owns!

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Whoah - I just came back sorry for the weeks and probably month out.
I see you guys start arguing the movie again.Well to me it's a 7.5/10 movie.I enjoyed it.It was fun,sleek and sometimes very nice to look at(the silver suit).I don't think it is a true masterpiece I liked it as much as the original.I know that if you check some pages on this topic you will see me saying something I didn't mean and was blinded by seeing a new robocop movie.
What I do hope - the sequel to become captain america the winter soldier improvement in every single way and telling a great story.Also I would like Robo using either 1 Auto-9 or 2 Auto-9's I don't like the idea of him using a taser and SMG.
The original is a true masterpiece and can't be outbeaten and it is still my favorite movie.The re-make isn't that high level of movies,but it ain't crap,it ain't mediocre as well it is just good-ok movie that delivers some fun.

RB 530

AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
A perfect example is ending the movie on a low point with "the Novak element" instead of the highpoint that is the doors closing on the family reunion. A bad and almost amateurish mistake.

I just kept thinking to myself so many of the scenes could have restructed to at least mirror what made the orignal such a great film.

For example, the reveal of Murphy being turned into RoboCop could been done so much better. In the original film, we don't actually see his fully body when he wakes up, it's slowly revealed to us as the scene progresses. Here, before Murphy wakes up we already see what's become. No suprise for the the audience. He's dreaming, they cut back to real life and we see he has the RoboCop body.

They could have done this much more creatively by angling the scene so that you only see Murphy's head. And when he wakes up from the dream, the camera zooms in on his face as everything turns back to normal and when Norton let's Murphy gain movment again, we then see his body.

Granted the situation for both of them is different as Murphy retains his memory but still we lose that "holy shit" what hapenned factor soley because they showed us everything too quickly.

RB 853

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote

40,000 more people voted in IMDB (an increase of 50%) since last time I checked back in June. Rating is stable now, it just went down a decimal to 6.3

Metacritic scores 52% (the original 1987 film is 67%).

Rotten Tomatoes shows 48% (the original 88%).

What about you guys? Would you change your vote after all these months? I feel most fans here have become increasingly critical with the remake.

I still haven't watched it for a second time but right now I would still keep my 6 out of 10 vote. Interesting approach with dynamic directing but big screenplay flaws.

RB 6857

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard