New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Terminator Genisys (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote

RoboTrap :
Hey now, the summer of '08 was pretty awesome. We got Iron Man, Speed Racer (fuck the haters, I love it), and Wall·E. And even if it wasn't awesome, they at least bothered with a new Indy flick. Oh yeah, The Dark Knight came out in '08 as well.

Was a good year. I think it was one of the few years I went a lot to the cinema. And "Wall·E" is a masterpiece. It has some amazing scenes (the begining is incredible).

Sin_Valor :
When I heard that The Dark Knight Rises movie was about to be released, I had some huge expectations for it, I thought it was going to be awesome, Batman would kick some ass while make one hell of an exit. I couldn't wait to see it.

So I saw it when it was theatrically released...and my expectations sunk a little bit.

I had a better time with "Rises" than "The Dark Knight". I enjoyed "Begins" too much and I thought "The Dark Knight" itīd be an adventure movie, so while I saw it was a police drama/thriller, I get a little bit bored at times. I appreciate it better when I rewatch it on DVD. As for "Rises", I never felt bored on it, and even if Batman does a cameo on the film, I wasnīt dissapointed by the lack of screentime.

RoboDemise :
I doubt anybody on this site will like it. According to everybody here there hasn't been a good movie made since 87 so why even discuss this. You all know you're going to pick it apart and hate it before it even comes out. Why worry yourselves?

I have some favourite films made after 87, so I donīt have a problem with recent films. I got problems when the movie lacks personality and gets generic. I donīt think this Terminator will be the greatest film ever, watcing the troubles the previous directors had for the sequels, and watching a failure with Arnold on it would make it painful. I hope theyīll make a decent film, but for the plot, with all those plot twists, time travel scenes and the way to connect this to the original film, I think theyīll need help to make it work. I think itīs hard to get it right, even with Cameronīs suggestions.

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
Anyway, Terminator 4 left a pretty bad taste in my mouth and I doubt it can get much worse than that. In fact, I hope they will atleast improve on that, so that the series doesn't end up with a turd as the final movie. Good to see Arnie back, I'm somewhat interested in seeing what they'll come up with, but still, as far as I'm concerned, it ends with T2.

I agree completely. With that -

ChAnOoD :
RoboDemise :
I doubt anybody on this site will like it. According to everybody here there hasn't been a good movie made since 87 so why even discuss this. You all know you're going to pick it apart and hate it before it even comes out. Why worry yourselves?

I have some favourite films made after 87, so I donīt have a problem with recent films. I got problems when the movie lacks personality and gets generic. I donīt think this Terminator will be the greatest film ever, watcing the troubles the previous directors had for the sequels, and watching a failure with Arnold on it would make it painful. I hope theyīll make a decent film, but for the plot, with all those plot twists, time travel scenes and the way to connect this to the original film, I think theyīll need help to make it work. I think itīs hard to get it right, even with Cameronīs suggestions.

Also agree. Sure I know we're a bit of a spoiled, picky bunch, but come on Demise, even you gotta admit the idea of this film isn't really something that'd get you all fired up. I never saw what more could be got out of Terminator in this manner, but that's something else. Anyway, I think most of us are expecting the worst while still sorta hoping for the best (or at least, something that doesn't totally blow). Like artu I kinda like the concept of an 'aging' Terminator, at least I like it on paper anyway. In practice? Well, we'll see. I'm certainly not gonna dump a whole lot of something I haven't seen yet, I'll leave that for the real cynical assholes, not the half-assed ones like me. But I'm also not gonna be all smiley-faced positive without seeing it either. I leave that to oblivious kooks like those remake worshipers.

Nobody's totally dismissing this thing out of hand, I think Josh summed it up for most if not all of us - I too don't think it's too much to ask for something at least remotely good for our money, and I'm bit a skeptical here. Same attitude I had with R2014. But that's it. No hate here. And there have plenty of great films in the last 27 years man, all of us will admit that - Don't be mean-silly, dude.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote

I don't know what it is going to take to make everybody realize that seeing and knowing everything about a movie before you actually see it ruins it for you one way or another. You can't expect to be surprised or entertained when you know everything that is and isn't going to happen.

Any movie I actually want to see, i make a point to know as little about it beforehand as possible.

Here watch this movie. Let me tell you everything about it before you go see it though, see if you enjoy it...

It's not just this site, it is a growing sickness with people in general. People want to see the making of a movie before seeing it, when it should be the other way around.

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote

I would agree it becomes more and more difficult going into a movie blind so to speak. Spoilers are everywhere and can be tricky to avoid. Every movie site post every little detail they find and you could, as demise points out, know everything about the movie without actually having seen it. The movie studios themselves post 4-5 trailers and actual clips from the movie. RoboCop 2014 is a good example of over saturation but there are many more examples out there.

A few months ago I have made it a point only to watch the first trailer of any new movie and after that just avoid any topic related to said movie. The movie experience really does get much better when you don't know every twist and turn.

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
I don't know what it is going to take to make everybody realize that seeing and knowing everything about a movie before you actually see it ruins it for you one way or another. You can't expect to be surprised or entertained when you know everything that is and isn't going to happen.

Any movie I actually want to see, i make a point to know as little about it beforehand as possible.

Here watch this movie. Let me tell you everything about it before you go see it though, see if you enjoy it...

It's not just this site, it is a growing sickness with people in general. People want to see the making of a movie before seeing it, when it should be the other way around.

With that RD, you got a decent point. Outside of RoboCop, for me, usually, I don't care for other films/franchises that much so I'm not on the lookout for every little bit of info, so I can't really be jaded so much. R2014 was the big exception of course (for obvious reasons) and even then I got into the whole thing a few months late so I didn't quite know everything. Still, I doubt not knowing as much would have made me enjoy the film more, while having info going in didn't prevent me from giving the film a chance. R2014 I was going to see regardless. As for other films, well, I want to know if my money might be better spent at release, later for home video, or not at all, even.

Some people are like that, for sure - They want to know everything if only to shit on the film, but I'm not like that (or at least I try not to be), and I think many others on here are the same way. Sure we have a few trepidations already, but I'm not sure it's that bad really.

That said, I agree it has become hard to be totally objective and surprised, and easier to be critical, I grant you that. But as you said, it's not just us, and I would like to think that generally we on here aren't too bad compared to others. We want to see if we might get something worth a damn, again, we're putting down money for it, I don't think that's too much to ask - If we can get an indicator going in, great. But every little thing we can find out prior to release? Bah, maybe only if, as a superfan, you're really that invested in the film/franchise. That doesn't apply here, for me at least. I still understand your frustration though.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I think what really pisses me off is when you're hooked on a show like Breaking Bad and then they start playing the final season. Every fan and hardcore fan on forums and Facebook and Twitter are finding spoilers and coming up with theories on what happens in the finale.

I know they're just fans and they're really excited as to what actually happens in the finale...but can you just stop finding everything you need to know about the ending and just watch it and see for yourselves?

CREDITS 13968

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Knowing a lot about a movie before watching it does not make it bad or good, it may somewhat change your first experience and slightly alter your first opinion but the movie is not gonna go from good to bad or from bad to good because of it, it's two separate debates. Actually a good way to know if you like a movie is when you don't mind watching it over and over again, even if you already know all the twists.

RoboDemise if there is one thing that really changes perception A LOT is having already watched many movies, because then almost nothing looks original or surprising. That's why teenagers are the best audience, because of their age they lack previous film culture. So if you really want to enjoy cinema again the best strategy would be to dramatically decrease the number of movies you watch in general, consume the less cinema you can, and you will enjoy it more.

But again, that's a question of first impression and cultivating one taste, films are not gonna be better or worse because of it. I watched Conan the Barbarian remake without even watching the trailer and it was shit, I watched "X-Men Days of future past" having watched all trailers, featurette and film clips (which I usually don't do) and I liked it. Obviously X-Men wasn't worse than Conan just because I knew a lot of one and nothing of the other before watching them.

With Robocop2014 I watched the trailers but none of the film clips. With Ninja Turtles I'm watching the trailers and I have so little faith in the final product (especially with the last trailer released today) that I don't care to watch everything that comes out, it won't ruin me anything (if then the movie turns to be good I will be delighted and surprised, but I really doubt it, will be mixed at best). Still I don't know what is the origin of the turtles or who is Shredder, why do the foot clan look like terrorists, etc. Many open questions that would enter the domain of spoilers and I won't look for the answers (I know in some forums you will have people discussing in detail all the possibilities or having the answers, but I'm not usually interested in that degree of information).

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote

R2 I agree with your point in general, but knowing a bunch of dumb shit going in will definitely change the experience, let's just say that. May be for better, may be for worse, but I think in general, for me anyway, I would rather go in blind. I don't want to hear what a bunch of other people think about anything. 99% of this worlds populations opinion means nothing to me. So it may just be me, but like I said already, blind is the way to go for me from now on.

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Knowing a lot about a movie before watching it does not make it bad or good, it may somewhat change your first experience and slightly alter your first opinion but the movie is not gonna go from good to bad or from bad to good because of it, it's two separate debates. Actually a good way to know if you like a movie is when you don't mind watching it over and over again, even if you already know all the twists.

While you would technically identify the movie as a good or bad movie either way it would affect your personal enjoyment of it. You just sit there and wait for that clip to appear that you have already seen.

The emotional impact if you know how things will unfold is gone. The experience of seeing a movie for the first time and enjoying its many twist and turns and unknown events is, for me, something that shapes if a movie is good or not. The EXPERIENCE and memory becomes part of what makes the movie great.

A lot of the my best movie experiences are from movies that I had seen little or nothing from, just because I was on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
A lot of the my best movie experiences are from movies that I had seen little or nothing from, just because I was on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

I agree with this for the most part but there are a few corner-cases where watching a few trailers and having some prerequisite knowledge helps. A notable recent example for me would be X-Men: Days of the Future Past. A huge concern for me was how they were going to approach the time travel (who would be doing it, where they'd be going). When I found out Wolverine was going to the past I was pretty aggravated, but by the time I actually saw the movie that aggravation had worn off and I could appreciate their vision of the story instead of wanting mine the whole time.

Now the opposite of this is comedy movies. If I see more than one trailer for a comedy movie it is almost never worth the price of admission. Usually the best jokes are ruined, and the plot becomes so clear there is nothing left to see. I think the only case in which I really want to see multiple trailers for something is when it's based on pre-existing media. This helps with expectations. Maybe if I had payed closer attention to the trailers for the recent Batman trilogy I wouldn't have been so disappointed. I spent more time getting excited to see my favorite comics on the big screen instead of focusing on the story I was actually gonna get, and in cases like that a little more exposure to the previews can help ease the blow, but over-saturation will ruin any film.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
While you would technically identify the movie as a good or bad movie either way it would affect your personal enjoyment of it. You just sit there and wait for that clip to appear that you have already seen.

The emotional impact if you know how things will unfold is gone. The experience of seeing a movie for the first time and enjoying its many twist and turns and unknown events is, for me, something that shapes if a movie is good or not. The EXPERIENCE and memory becomes part of what makes the movie great.

Marketing has itīs faults on that as well. For example, I admire the way the latest Batflicks handled that. They could show you clips, but still you didnīt have idea about how the movie would be. And other films destroy the whole plot in a single trailer. It happens a lot on some comedies: they bring the better jokes on the trailer, and then you have boring scenes between jokes you already see.

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I think Prometheus did a great job of keeping the trailers mysterious, and not showing too much. And a lot of the promo videos released were footage not in the actual film but specifically made.

RoboPimp :
Now the opposite of this is comedy movies. If I see more than one trailer for a comedy movie it is almost never worth the price of admission. Usually the best jokes are ruined, and the plot becomes so clear there is nothing left to see.

Absolutely agree. The joke is often ripped out of context and when you have already seen the punch-line it's just frustrating to see the movie and wait as they slowly go towards the punchline that you have already seen. The decent "a million ways to die in the west" ruined the best cameo joke (for me) in the trailer, that I had wished I'd seen fresh in the actual movie.

Then we have some thriller movies like "paranoia" that show the whole movie in order via short clips. Every twist and turn is revealed right there in the trailer. It's basically a mini movie shown in 2-3 minutes and there is no reason to actually go see the full length version because you already know what will happen at every point.

CREDITS 396

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote

I think Pimp and artu pretty much put it for me. I don't disagree knowing something changes the experience, but as Pimp said, having a little something going in helps on some films. Not a lot mind, you, just a little something.

Keep in mind I'm one of those 'the more you know' assholes so, for me, I don't like going in completely blind. And again, as I'm paying for the shit in some form or other, I don't think that's unreasonable. If my experience suffers in some way, if I lose some of that 'magic', so be it. That is a good feeling to have and I still get it even if I have an idea of things. Still, I really get most of my enjoyment on things with repeat viewings anyway, as artu pointed out.

I understand Demise's position completely though, and I agree, if you want that surprise, then yeah, you need to avoid knowing almost everything. But I find in a lot of cases that's impossible. Even outside of promotion hooplah. This here is one of them - We all know what Terminator is, who Arnold played and so on and so unfortunately we don't have such a 'clean slate' in this instance. In fact rarely do we have such an instance, as many films now, if they aren't reboots/remakes/sequels/etc, they're otherwise based off of something already done in one form or other, we kinda have an idea of things by default, especially if we have seen a lot of movies, again, as artu stated.

Promotion can help to counter that, though, and there have been cases where it did and it worked well. However other times they give it away, so trying to get an idea of things, even a minor one, can backfire depending on how promotion goes. I usually just keep to occasional trailer and a pic or two here and there, much more than that I don't care for. But if they do the trailers poorly and give away a lot, then yeah you are fucked.

Anyway, it's cool, Demise - Avoid the bullshit if you can, and go in totally open. I'll be one of those that wants a slight taste, at least a vague idea of things. There are others still who want every detail of the film before seeing it - I'm not that bad, and again, I think most here aren't that way either, aside from whatever they're a massive fan of, of course. Whatever works for each.

CREDITS 2304

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote

Strange title change, I can say many people are gonna misspell it.

Also it seems as if Oracle headquarters have been used as film location for Cyberdine Systems.

The more I read about the story the more it is clear the film will revisit moments of the original films (for example T2 attack on Cyberdine). Arnold would be a T-800 that protects Sarah for her entire life without her knowing? So Arnold would not appear only grey-haired but will look younger and older depending of the timeline.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard