New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Why on EARTH are people still going to Transformers films?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
RoboFan_93 :
The Transformers movies are basically an insult to people who care about Transformers

Just like the Dark Knight movies are an insult to anyone who cares about Batman!

Or how the X-men movies are an insult to anyone who cares about X-men!

I think the argument here is not wether they are faithful adaptions or not, but if the movies stand on their own merit. None of these movies based off of comics books, or in the case of Transformers and GI Joe based off toys, are accurate to the source material, but the massive success of them speaks to their ability to stand alone. While the Dark Knight is a horrendous version of Batman people love that movie. Same goes for the Transformers, but this debate I think it questioning if they are worth watching at all, regardless of what they are based on. This is the argument fans of these kind of movies always make: judge them on the quality of the movie alone, not in comparison to what its based on.

I see what you mean. Being an absolute Batman geek, I really like Nolan's movies, but do not think that they represent what I feel Batman should be. But they are good thrillers on their own.

Transformers on the other hand were not even enjoyable. I managed to sit through the first one twice, and I actually really liked it back when it came out. But then it just became a series of babe-shots and lame jokes with some robots thrown in. I certainly feel there are much better one-time pop-corn flicks to spend my money on. If I want to see a great CGI show-reel, then sure, I'd throw some money their way, but if I want to see a move that I'm going to like or a guilty pleasure even, then no, no way am I giving them more of my money for Bayformers.

CREDITS 2802

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Archive :
I've seen all three Transformers movies but it was all for the reason of shutting down my brain for a while. They are all quite terrible but can work if you're in the right mindset.

I agree that's a need for mindless entertainment. I do this kind of thing all the time with music. My favorite artists are Lou Reed, Pink Floyd and Joy Division. They are all great but their music is very heavy. Some of my friends can't understand why I would follow up such a dense and emotionally expressive album as Wish You Were Here with generic, ignorant rap, but I call it palette cleansing. If I'm chilling with my friends and playing music all day there's a need to break up the heaviness. So after every Rolling Stones or Neil Young album I'll play a little bit of Kanye, Pusha T or especially 2 Chainz. They don't seem to understand that I'm listening to their music because of its flaws, not overlooking them. Other non-rap stuff I use as palette cleansers includes ambient / instrumental music like the works of Brian Eno and DJ Krush, or a touch or jazz.

The same principle applies to movies. I know personally if I've been watching a lot of movies recently I usually watch about half comedies. The more dramatic, intellectual movie is always 'better', but it gets grueling watching dram after drama or action flick after action flick. I don't go out to the movies a lot so I don't think it would be worth it to go see the new Transformers, but I'll definitely watch it when it comes on Netflix, because I know their will be a day when I'm stoned and just wanna little entertainment and don't have it in me to watch another Crying Game level drama.

Goddamn that's brilliant, and I even do that myself on occasion as it turns out.. so why didn't I say all that crap? Bah, because I'd have gotten bitch-slapped and it sounds better from a man in pink anyway. Wink

Ahem, anyway.. Again, this kind of thing is all for regular dumbass people - Who are not big fans and don't even know what the hell the phrase 'source material' even is. The lowest common denominator, as Josh said. Of course even fans can have moments of just not giving a fuck, watching something stupid in-between all the serious and good stuff, at least I would think so - If only to make them appreciate the better stuff even more. Now I do agree that there has to be some level of it not being total shit. Transformers kinda is. But that's kinda the point, really. It's mostly shit. Well-done, pretty looking shit.

And that's pretty much it. This isn't some great mystery here - These films are what they are, and it seems to be what the rest of these fucks like seeing. My only beef is that people seem to like watching this shit more and more and that it's getting pumped out harder and more often in lieu of real movies, but outside of that, I honestly don't really give a fuck what these other simpletons watch.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Audience is teens and kids. I guarantee they are entertained. Sad but true.

Wahlberg reminded me of his 'The Other Guys' character who cried out that he was a peacock... Well in transformers he delivers the line "I'm an inventor!" in the exact same campy version. I laughed but it wasn't supposed to be funny. Movie is ok. Not great, not horrible but honestly the way it ended I am hoping if they do another movie that people aren't even it.

With characters as interesting as transformers they still have to have the story tied around the people and "our humanity". It's old. Get the fuck off earth and give us an interesting movie that doesn't revolve around bad lines delivered poorly and then a guy kissing a girl in the last 5 minutes of the movie. Every fucking transformers movie ends with the guy and girl running at each other and kissing. We get it... We're over it.

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
With all our complaints though, Michael Bay definitely knows what he is doing behind the camera. All his movies are visually gorgeous and beautifully shot. I'd say even his shaky-cam scenes look good and have some thought put into them.

Something we can't say about Jose Padilha whose work is close to amateurish at times. RoboCop 2014 with its big budget looks awfully close to a low budget film.

Whoa!

I find Bay's visual style is ugly, grotesque and certainly in the case of Pain & Gain, tasteless and offensive. He is to cinema what Simon Cowell is to music. A brilliant businessman, but exploitative and talentless.

Apologies. Rant over. For now.

CREDITS 121

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
I agree that's a need for mindless entertainment. I do this kind of thing all the time with music. My favorite artists are Lou Reed, Pink Floyd and Joy Division. They are all great but their music is very heavy. Some of my friends can't understand why I would follow up such a dense and emotionally expressive album as Wish You Were Here with generic, ignorant rap, but I call it palette cleansing. If I'm chilling with my friends and playing music all day there's a need to break up the heaviness. So after every Rolling Stones or Neil Young album I'll play a little bit of Kanye, Pusha T or especially 2 Chainz. They don't seem to understand that I'm listening to their music because of its flaws, not overlooking them. Other non-rap stuff I use as palette cleansers includes ambient / instrumental music like the works of Brian Eno and DJ Krush, or a touch or jazz.

The same principle applies to movies. I know personally if I've been watching a lot of movies recently I usually watch about half comedies. The more dramatic, intellectual movie is always 'better', but it gets grueling watching dram after drama or action flick after action flick. I don't go out to the movies a lot so I don't think it would be worth it to go see the new Transformers, but I'll definitely watch it when it comes on Netflix, because I know their will be a day when I'm stoned and just wanna little entertainment and don't have it in me to watch another Crying Game level drama.

I'd agree with 2 Chainz being 'low brow'. Kanye's Yeezus is really good sonically and, although he's never been as good a rapper as he is a producer, he's got some really good lyrical content apart from the last song where he's just rapping about fucking his wife.

The Pusha album's pretty good too.

Joy Division btw - thumbs up!

CREDITS 121

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Kanye's Yeezus is really good sonically and, although he's never been as good a rapper as he is a producer, he's got some really good lyrical content apart from the last song where he's just rapping about fucking his wife.

I'mma let you finish, but Kanye had one of the best albums of all time! Or at least is career, speaking of which, I see Yeezus as a career retrospective for Ye, beginning with his entry into the rap game with 'On Site' and ending with his marriage to Kim on 'Bound 2'...which is an excellent song! It's so perfect because it's got a totally different vibe than the utterly bleak material that comes before it, just like his life has shifter from depression over past breakups to his new life as a father and husband... it's simple but effective, a lot like listening to modern folk that still maintains the stripped down aesthetics of foregone eras. Not the best track on the album but still a great song for me...I liked it from the day I heard Yeezus, and I can't say that about every track!

OK let me get back on topic, here's Robocop

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Whoa!

I find Bay's visual style is ugly, grotesque and certainly in the case of Pain & Gain, tasteless and offensive. He is to cinema what Simon Cowell is to music. A brilliant businessman, but exploitative and talentless.

Apologies. Rant over. For now.

I really, really don't want to be the guy to defend Michael Bay, but he does have a certain style and technique to his movies. You may not like what is IN the frame, which is often macho dumb and sexist and, yes, grotesque, but the skill behind the camera is there. He may show it off in an overly trashy music video fashion but he still knows what he is doing.

And I apologise also. I will never defend Michael bay again. Smile

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote

If you want a director to make a historically-accurate film...NEVER hire Michael Bay to do the job, while I'm at it...never hire James Cameron either. I know you're probably pissed off at me for criticising Cameron, but even though Titanic was a huge box-office hit AND the movie as well as the ship did look visually appealing...it's not exactly paying attention to every detail on the history of the ship (the investors involved with making the ship, the materials used, the fact that when the iceberg hit the ship...it wasn't as BIG and CLIMATIC as the film made it out to be). That being said though, it still made enough money to be the biggest grossing movie of all time...that was until Cameron outdid himself with Avatar.

CREDITS 13968

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
Meriandressial
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

schitsophrenk

Comment: Victory Goes To The Bold And The Wise

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote

I have no idea why anyone goes to Transformers films any more, either.

I love transformers. I watched it since it came out in the 80s.
And I have no interest in the films any more.
I like it and always will, but the films have zero interest for me now.

After that atrocity that was the second one, I thought, I'll give it one more go, then no more.
So I sat through the marginally better third one. Then said, FTS! No more for me!

It's saying something bad, when the long time transformers fan, me, does'nt want to know anymore.
But my husband, the none transformers fan, is interested.

They should just give up. The films have got beyond a joke.
I think Peter Cullens got some people blackmailed, to keep pushing Optimus Prime constantly.

I hate optimus prime. I never liked him. The only Optimus Prime who was any good, was the one in Transformers Animated. Because he was a twat sometimes. That he was a twat sometimes, made him more likable.
The other leaders are all better than Optimus Prime!

And the Bumblebee who does'nt talk! FFS!
Telepathy, sign language, there are tons of none verbal comunnications!
He does'nt have to get his voice back, though it would be better for him.
But speak properly in some way! Enough with the stupid voice clips!

The films have have infected the series too.
New Bumblebees after the first film, he does'nt talk.
I saw Transformers Prime. Having clawed my way through the first episode. Saw the none talking Bumblebee, and said
Enough! I am outa here!
I could'nt sit through more than episode one. and I only got through that once. After, I could'nt get through it again. Prime is absolutely terrible!

CREDITS 499

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Im a pretty huge transformers fan. and I had been nothing but disspointed with each iteration of these movies.

I will say I enjoyed this one.. alot. Probably more so than I shouldve. I liked how the story was a bit more focused. more so than previous. I loved the desert locations (very G1) John Goodman makes a great cheesy autobot, Frank Welker back, and Lockdown, was the perfect villain.

Not only that but I think its because I finally gave up on what I wanted from a transformers adaptation and simply looked at this as "What if" scenereo.. SImply another transformers universe to add to the lore but not really be the main cannon..

theres been alot of amazing transfromers media because of these horrible movies, and for that Im grateful they exsist.

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote

I find it funny that people get all bent outta shape over Bays movies..I mean let me get this straight you want a super heavy and depressing Transformers movie or do you want 3 hr's of Transformers beating the shit outta each other and doing Transformer like things?..Look Transformers were always goofy I loved them but when you boil them down its a goofy premise and I this given what the franchise is Bay and company delivered about the best version of that you could really get..The problem isn't with Bay its with paramount wanting sequel after sequel lets face it, its a one trick pony I challenge you to find any real difference in the writing,acting,overall production value from the first to the very latest film "you Can't" the first was well received because no one really had faith in Bay making a movie about a line of toys .

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
firecop345
That One Guy Who's Just There.

O-L4

Comment: Dead Or Alive, Your Drinking Some Tea.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote

Besides, age of extinction deserves the praise it's getting, I've seen it, it's a great movie, I would say its even better then the first one.

CREDITS 14

game-xbox
razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote

I only liked the first one and stopped paying after the 2nd one.

To me, these movies are the Call of Duty/Twilight/Miley Cyrus trainwrecks.

Nothing substantial and annoying.

But this is coming from a guy who watches Power Rangers series on Netflix.

Me? I don't have 3 hours to waste while Michael Bay gets more rich.

What happened to him? I like Bad Boys, The Rock, and Armageddon. I even liked Bad Boys II, Transformers 1 and The Island.

Anything to do with remaking horror movies (poorly), toys, and real life is a warning sign.

I'm honestly sad that Edge of Tomorrow and Pacific Rim struggle to find audiences. I shake my head when The Raid 2 is given a limited release. I facepalm when action movies are made for the PG-13 crowd.

Make it stop.

Also, with movies like Captain America The Winter Soldier, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, and Dawn of The Planet of The Apes, we don't need Transformers anymore.

You can make spectacular blockbusters without dumbing them down or being bloated.

CREDITS 23

toaster baby-food game-xbox
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote

FireCop345 :
Besides, age of extinction deserves the praise it's getting, I've seen it, it's a great movie, I would say its even better then the first one.

That is a bit of a ridiculous statement. Opinions are fine but my god is yours wrong... nothanks

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard