RegisterRegister  PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

PLAYBACK_ The RoboYear In Review

JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Was 2014 the best year to be a RoboCop fan since 1990? The mixed reception to the reboot film nonetheless brought a wave of merchandise and renewed interest in the original film not seen since the release of RoboCop 2 25 years ago.
Here’s my Top 10 Robo things of 2014:

NECA Deluxe RoboCop 3 figure with Assault Cannon and Jetpack (November)

OK so it’s from a previous mould. But this RoboCop figure boasts the sky blue-tinge of the second movie’s armour. Arguably, the original suit never looked so good. Also included two notorious props from the classic trilogy: The state-of-the-art assault cannon from the first movie (bang bang) and the jetpack from the third. NECA’s solo line has been going strong this year, and hopefully there’ll be some more radical variations and (hopefully) brand new figures in 2015.
http://necaonline.com/46862/products/toys/action-figures/robocop-deluxe-robocop-action-figure-with-jetpack-and-cobra-assault-cannon

RoboCain Nuker t-shirt (Electric Zombie)

Rather cool, funky t-shirt. Other standouts for me this year (although they may date back further) have been the Haynes ED-209 Manual tee and the Robo Cop Toy Story parody tee.
http://electriczombie.merchline.com/products/nuker-t-shirt
Archive topic link: http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=119632&highlight=#119632

Jada Toys talking RC-2000 v3.0 figure (January)

Although Jada’s line of toys to tie-in with the new movie didn’t exactly set the world on fire, they did at least include this figure which spouted memorable Murphy catchphrases, loud and clear, and had a flashing red visor when it did it. The dry delivery of ‘If I had a pulse, it’d be racing’ was actually more in line with the classic trilogy Robo than it appeared in the new movie. Jada Toys also released a remote-control v3.0 on RoboCruiser.
http://www.jadatoysinc.com/products?brand=RoboCop&pagenum=1&id=2968

Play Arts Kai RC-2000 v1.0 figure (May)

Probably the best of Play Arts Kai’s three figures in terms of accuracy (although the v3.0 figure had a slightlier bulkier body, and a slightly more superhero-look than the film version).

2014 IMax movie (February)

In 2014, I got something I’d wanted for 20 years. Another RoboCop movie. And the first one I saw at the cinema. A lot. My biggest smile of the year must have been the first step Norton encourages him to take. The gaps in Robo's torso (v1.0) were much clearer at the cinema as he clunked around for the first time. There were gasps of disgust as what was left of Murphy was revealed.

The eventual home release in the UK had a steelbook with the RC-2000 v3.0 battle-damage on the backcover – why the hell didn’t they use that for the cinema poster?! The home release didn’t have as many special features as I’d have liked, but it did have the fanastic Engineered For The 21st Century featurette.

Hell, we even got RoboCop Day on June 3rd 2014 in which Robo bowled (better than 50 Cent but still not brilliantly) for the Detroit Tigers. Let’s make sure we celebrate RoboCop Day again on June 3rd 2015. (I think we should have a synchronised viewing of the classic original during which we post on the Archive’s Facebook status).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbehua5MhO8
https://www.imax.com/movies/m/robocop-the-imax-experience/

BOOM! Studios ongoing comic series

BOOM!’s shortlived underwhelming reboot comics (Beta aside) lead to something better. An ongoing RoboCop which has been getting some good reviews and is probably the strongest the comics have been since the Dark Horse days, and maybe the most faithful to the original tone – striking a level of grit and maturity somewhere between RoboCop 1 & 2.
http://www.boom-studios.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?name=robocop&series=1320&writer=&artist=&category=

RvT: Gallery Edition

It says something for the quality of stuff we’ve had this year that this only sits at number 4 on my list. Whereas part of being a RoboCop fan has, for years, been saddled with disappointment, this frankly ostentatious release reprints Walter Simonson’s art at full-bloody-size. And if this wasn’t good enough, the story got collected in a standard size hardback qith the kind of love and attention you’d expect on a Marvel reprint. Bout time! NECA’s RvT action figures are on the way soon. How about a film too?
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/24-423/RoboCop-vs-the-Terminator-Gallery-Edition-HC

NECA ED-209 figure

After waiting years for a Hot Toys version of a character almost as iconic as Robo himself, they dropped the ball by having a dome that disintegrated. Luckily, NECA had already released a (more affordable) version earlier in the year. Finally, we didn’t have to trawl eBay contemplating buying costly discolored Kenner ED-260s which look a bit weird anyway. Any other action figure I bought this year eventually got relegated to the bookshelf. ED-209 is still on my dining table, threatening to riddle me with lead as I tuck into my spag bol.
http://necaonline.com/41637/products/archive/action-figures-archive/robocop-action-figure-ed-209-boxed-figure

The Definitive History (Titan Books, October)

Around the time of the reboot, a SFX Magazine special detailed the history of the franchise, but this luxury coffeetable hardback was long overdue. It’s worth noting, this got 4.5 out of 5 stars in a Sci-Fi mag I read, whilst the similar Alien and Planet Of The Apes releases the same month got 4 and 3.5 respectively.
http://titanbooks.com/robocop-the-definitive-history-7736

4K Remastered Blu-Ray (February)

It’s where it all began, so it’s only right that the 4K remaster of Paul Verhoeven’s masterpiece sits at number 1. Before its release, there were some reservations about a 4K remaster from fans, following the disappointing original Blu-Ray release. Would the crystal clear quality expose previously unseen flaws in the suit? Shouldn’t we just stick to RoboCop the way it was meant to be seen on VHS?

Thankfully, this remaster not only made the film look the best it had ever been, it showed just how perfect Rob Bottin’s original suit looked, glistening under neon lights and looking badass.

Here in the UK we finally got some of the special features only previously available in the US.

And I know this shouldn’t matter, but the cover was good. Robo covers usually sucked (the steelbook still was a contentious issue) but they chose a good image of Robo mid-close-up (from the right movie too!) UPDATED JAN 4 2015 - As you will see from the comments below, the image is actually from the sequel. *sighs* Oh well, you can't have it all I suppose... The trilogy repackage also had good choices of images to illustrate the three movies on the backcover.
http://www.amazon.com/RoboCop-Unrated-Directors-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B00GST8UB8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420054404&sr=8-2&keywords=robocop+blu+ray

All in all 2015 looks a little brighter to be a Robo fan than the past 15 years. Long may it continue.

RB 2151

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, the year had some ups and downs for Robo to be sure. I think a lot of us would consider the remake a down point, just because we've all been waiting for it for so long, discussing it for years, and it didn't live up to the hype at all. But I agree that it is a good thing in that it at least brought attention to the franchise, which lead to a wealth of great products.

My favorite item of the year was the Robocop vs. Terminator gallery edition. A totally unique item amongst Robo collectibles that honored one of the high points of Robo's career. It is also the centerpiece of my own Robo collection.

I am also excited to read Boom's Robo series. I was a little apprehensive about it at first but the fact that it is still going on is promising. Unfortunately my comic store only bought one copy of the first issue and it disappeared pretty quickly. Last time I was in there I was considering buying the whole run but alas, they were missing that first issue. I may have to wait for a collected edition which is hopefully coming soon. I looked at BOOM's website at was a little dismayed to see that they are selling the variant covers for 10-15 bucks a pop...that seems kinda cheesy to me.

The rest of the stuff from the year didn't appeal to me much. I wouldn't mind getting the NECA ED-209 at some point, and I did get a couple figures from the remake, but that's about all I want of remake merchandise. The Definitive History book doesn't have any new info to offer me, and the Bluray edition of the original film is awesome, but I don't have a Bluray player. Or a TV. But overall, it was a very nice year for Robo, and I hope 2015 can be another strong year for him with more interesting and unique products.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

RB 1974

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote

I think Pimp more-or-less said it in how the film was ultimately a downer moment, but still a huge moment in spite of that. Furthermore, the hype and discussion leading up to it, good and bad, was a huge moment for me, as it was for all of us, and was without a doubt the most action this site and community has had since the days of PD.

Furthermore, the added side-effect of the remakeboot is indeed all these other awesome products and attention to the original masterpiece, with more awesome stuff still to come as well.

That was a great post, Jim and I agree for the most part as well. This year has been pretty good overall, and whether it was good or bad to any other Robo fan, it was certainly very active and full of stuff. While I don't think next year will come close to the attention and tumult that 2014 brought to this franchise, I look forward to seeing what 2015 has in store for Robo.

RB 52185

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun UC-M21 robocop3-gunarm remake-gun
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote

You forgot about Cain!

http://chroniclecollectibles.com/robocop-2-cain/

RB 106703

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote

Actually a pretty massive year for Robo. Still need me one of those good orange posters. Nice thread and write up and all that. Very Happy

RB 9853

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboConsultant
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: Tyger Tyger

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Great list! Probably the best Robocop year since I was born. No matter what people thought of the reboot (I liked it, many people obviously didn't) it was clearly the catalyst for a lot of great things we all enjoyed and benefited from in 2014. Here's to an equally fruitful 2015!

Also, does anyone know if that IMAX poster is available to purchase online somewhere? I've been looking for a while, can't find it anywhere.

RB 41

PFMC84
CH-L3

CH-L3

Comment: I'm the No. 2 guy around here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Robo covers usually sucked (the steelbook still was a contentious issue) but they chose a good image of Robo mid-close-up (from the right movie too!)

Just to correct you there, the image on the 4K BluRay cover is actually from RoboCop 2, with a badly photoshopped in arm from a different image, also from RoboCop 2. It's nice, but the photoshopping is obvious and they've used a horrible font for the logo instead of the original one.

RB 16595

JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Paddy :
Just to correct you there, the image on the 4K BluRay cover is actually from RoboCop 2, with a badly photoshopped in arm from a different image, also from RoboCop 2. It's nice, but the photoshopping is obvious and they've used a horrible font for the logo instead of the original one.

After I posted that, I started to think it could be from '2' and noticed the left hand side of the helmet looks lumpy. However, at least it's Peter and it's grey/silver rather than the blue suit. And it's taken me 11 months to notice that. Usually the covers are released and my immediate reaction is NOOOOOO! This cover shows nearly the whole Bottin suit in good close-up and detail, rather than just a jaw.

RB 2151

Johan
The Goose That Laid The Golden Melon

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote

2014 is no doubt the best Robo year to date, and unless we get a sequel(which seem unlikely at this point) it's gonna be hard to top.

Just look at the google search for RoboCop and see just how massive the spike is at the time of the premiere of the movie.

RB 6221

auto9 remake-gun sunblock5000 robocop-figure4 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop sprite-robocop1 masters-trapjaw
Johan
The Goose That Laid The Golden Melon

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
After I posted that, I started to think it could be from '2' and noticed the left hand side of the helmet looks lumpy. However, at least it's Peter and it's grey/silver rather than the blue suit. And it's taken me 11 months to notice that. Usually the covers are released and my immediate reaction is NOOOOOO! This cover shows nearly the whole Bottin suit in good close-up and detail, rather than just a jaw.

RB 6221

auto9 remake-gun sunblock5000 robocop-figure4 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop sprite-robocop1 masters-trapjaw
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Now I can't stop looking at that right arm in that weird reverse 'J' shape. They should really just stick to the original classic image and logo because it's iconic and can't be topped. It's not like they try and redo the Ghostbusters 'no ghosts' logo on every release. Oh well - at least it wasn't this:

Cheers for all the nice comments folks.

Pimp - I will discuss the latest BOOM! series on the other thread at some point. I don't collect variant covers or anything, but I will say I really like the NY Comic-Con variant of Last Stand #1 by Joe Quinones with the Drive-esque font. That's a film which really nails a seedy tone but, at the same time, looks visually impressive. Any future reboot should set the action in a murkier seedier world like the first.

RB 2151

RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote

I love that cover too and would love to get it but there's no way I'm gonna pay BOOM $15 bucks directly for it... that undermines the whole point of variant covers.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

RB 1974

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote

I've got the TPB which has the variant covers in a gallery section at the back. I subscribed to the new BOOM! series though.

RB 2151

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote

2014 certainly was a big year for Robo. Whatever your thoughts on the remake were, I was thrilled to be able to see not only a new RoboCop, but on the big screen too, since I wasn't born early enough for the others.
New figures and comics definetely helped classic Robo's popularity as well and I'm glad there wasn't an attempt to bury him once the remake hit.

RB 10688

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard