New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

WikiLeaks: Joel Kinnaman VS Sony - Leaked e-mails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Backstory. As you probably know, movie studio Sony got hit with a considerable hackerattack at the end of last year. After the attack, that was traced to a North Korean group, several sensitive e-mails were made public. Scandals were a plenty. Now WikiLeaks have acquired this material and made it available and searchable in their database.

So what has this to do with RoboCop? Well, among these now publicly accessible e-mails are several conversations dating back to Dec 2013 with a not very happy Joel Kinnaman expressing his frustration with Sony and the promotion of RoboCop 2014. Of course this isn't shocking to us as such. The promotion of RoboCop 2014 was anything than a success with several bad decisions and frankly peculiar choices but it is interesting to now reading Kinnaman express his concerns about this also.

This news story has been featured heavily in Swedish media since Joel Kinnaman is Swedish, but It hasn't been brought up in other world media as far as I know. So here goes, you might find this interesting.

Below you can find the e-mails conversation, and judge for yourself.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote

This info has been made public and reported by many newspapers. But should someone still want this info removed from this site contact me at webmaster@robocoparchive.com

Joel Kinnaman :

Subject: Another Robocop fail

On Dec 18, 2013, at 12:51 AM, "joel Kinnaman"

These 4 Images are from the official Instagram account. None of them are me. Also, some of these are new artwork, none of which was sent to me for approval first, which after all of the many screw ups should be the very first thing done before publishing publicly.

I don't understand how this keeps happening. Have any of you done anything to make these amateur mistakes stop?

I'm in Florence on a 2 day photoshoot so can all of you get on the phone and work this out once and for all. I hate to say it, but having to deal with this issue over and over has diminished my enthusiasm for promoting the film. I hope you can figure out a way to turn this around.

Joel

<image.png>
<image.png>
<image.png>
<image.png>

Quote:
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:12:39

Joel - I'm looping in the Sony and MGM publicity team on this exchange to get to the bottom of it right now. JG

Quote:
Wed Dec 18 07:40:20 2013

Jon--PlEASE help us address and remedy this once and for all!! Without some relief you can expect your "star" will be woefully absent when you need him present and focused. This evidences a complete lack of respect and meticulousness show by marketing as this campaign has begun. This is a chronic problem and one we have been trying to remedy since its genesis. HELP!!

Quote:
Liston, Marisa spe.sony.com
On Dec 18, 2013, at 16:58,

Shelley and All - the photo situation is unfortunate and one we take seriously. The bottom line is that once images are approved by talent and film makers, they are sent out to the press. Then...should they be deemed un-approved down the line, we are in a mad scramble to find out what outlets across the WORLD have picked them up....tell them not to run them, and give them substitute images. This has been what we have been working on since we got word that the images that were approved Joel and his team, were now un-approved. Joel and his team have complete approval over his likeness and no images would, or could have ever been sent out without his previous approval. It just doesn't work that way. That said, we will continue to work tirelessly to pull down the images. We adore this film and want to continue to put our best foot forward and make sure that Joel and everyone involved feel good about the campaign.

Joel Kinnaman :
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:20 AM
To: Liston, Marisa

That is simply not true. I have not approved any images where I'm not present. In fact, in the last meeting we had with the entire Sony marketing team I was shown a set of Robocop press photos and in that meeting I pointed out multiple pictures that were of my stunt double and not of me. I was promised that those were mockups and the mistake of putting out photos of the wrong person would not happen again. However, shortly after that several of the "mockups" were published on the film's official twitter and instagram accounts.

The lack of responsibility taken in this email is infuriating. Yes, I approve images of ME, but I do not go through and approve images of my stunt double Dorian. The problem is that you don't know how to spot the difference between the actor and the stunt double.

I find this shift of blame disrespectful. Jose and I are really proud of what we accomplished with this film and that's why it's so disheartening to have images go out that we didn't create as part of our story. So until this is rectified fully I'm not comfortable doing any more promotion.

Joel

Quote:
Sent: Wed Dec 18 14:34:42 2013

Per our conversation...

After a very good dialogue with MGM (and Marisa with Eric Newman as well) we are setting a conference call for Joel's team tomorrow.

Again, unfortunately, with his team having approved the images, we will continue to do our best to make sure there is nothing out there that Joel has not approved.

Thank.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Are Laurel and Hardy in control of Sony Pictures Entertiainment?

They're farcical. Completely and utterly farcical. I've never known a studio be so poorly managed. The way they mis-manage their own properties is frighteningly bad.

The only property of theirs they seem to know how to manage... is the James Bond franchise. Although 24 successful films later - you'd have to be completely braindead not to know how to handle that franchise...with 24 previous 'blueprints' of success.

Wikileaks just reaffirms my belief that they are truly incompetent and utterly hopeless. Next they'll release a Ghostbusters remake with a funky, 'hip', all-female cast!

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote

I´m sure that wasn´t the only problem the makers of the flick had with the studio tongue

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Do we know which are the images?

I understand it can be frustrating, the marketing campaign for this movie was terrible; nevertheless implying you are not gonna collaborate with its promotion I think would only make things worse for the movie, harming yourself and everyone involved, not sure if it is the smartest way to react.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I don't think I ever saw those images as according to Kinnaman they were posted to Twitter and Instagram, places I don't interact with, and removed shortly after this mail conversation.

From what I can understand they where montages or that kind of special image and not straight out movie stills as they refer to "mockups."

It is interesting though that the mail subject is "Another Robocop fail" that clearly tells us it's been going on for some time.

RB 347913

Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote

What I find pretty amazing is, that these people "earn" a shitload of cash for doing pretty much nothing. One of my relatives is head of marketing for loreal in spain and he failed every project he ever started, yet he keeps getting bonuses like crazy. I guess the compny you choose to fail in just needs to be big enough to still get props and bonuses.

RB 787

game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote

Interesting to see all of this come to light - Of course as noted we all knew this shit was happening anyway (that is, the piss-poor marketing and expectation management) but to see it extend to an internal level, that there was real discontent and conflict between Kinnaman and Sony, is rather telling.

I think NukeLord hit it - Sony Pictures seems to be a clusterfuck and I'm surprised they don't fuck up and fail more..

artuditu :
I understand it can be frustrating, the marketing campaign for this movie was terrible; nevertheless implying you are not gonna collaborate with its promotion I think would only make things worse for the movie, harming yourself and everyone involved, not sure if it is the smartest way to react.

It's clear from Joel's tone and the one email's subject that this has been a problem for a while that has gotten worse, or at least not any better, over time. From his view, the man put in his effort and did his due diligence and now he's seeing people that didn't have to put in the same kind of effort fuck around and fuck up their due obligations so blatantly and furthermore not even show the slightest indication of going about rectifying the problem.. He said it - it is disrespectful - I'd react the same way. Is it smart for him to react that way? Perhaps not, but then again, it ain't smart for Sony to fuck around like they did either.. In Kinnaman's case, the 'smart move' is out the window, it's a matter of principle and integrity at that point - Why should he cooperate and help people and a company that is so callously fucking with him like that? I totally understand his view.

I think Fummelcop has a point too, I don't get how people who piss about like this still have jobs.

Anyway, like I said, very telling. I imagine there will be some real 'lessons learned' type stuff we'll hear about in regards to R2014 sometime in the future. Interesting find, Archive. I don't like hackers but I'll still say I was happy to read all of this.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote

His stunt double was even featured on some magazine covers...

RB 943

ED-209-2013 remake-gun baby-food
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote

RB 347913

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if those images include the ones with the messed-up visor on the silver suit and the robo-belly.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
I wonder if those images include the ones with the messed-up visor on the silver suit and the robo-belly.

I definitely think that is one of the screw ups. I can't believe anyone can think that is a good promo image to represent the movie. Still, at least it was Kinnaman in the suit.

RB 347913

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Sony Pictures. The studio that keeps putting out Adam Sandler films.

Enough said.

RB 17167

Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote

do you know breaking bad? they have to put out a lot of adam sandler shit, before their credit runs out.

RB 787

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard