New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Favorite Small Moments
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote

There's no lack of iconic scenes in RoboCop, but what about those small funny/cool/odd moments? Here's a few of my picks:

* Robo knocks the pistol out of Leon's hand. Some dude catches it and keeps on dancing.
* Clarence sticks his fingers in Sal's wine. Sal immediately takes a sip.
* Robo's over-the-shoulder shot in the drug factory shootout
* Sal's men take a ridiculous amount of shots after they're hit. Specifically guy with shotgun, and guy who spins around and shoots Sal
* There's an amazing shot of RoboCop's eye after ED-209 cracks his visor.
* This guy's expression:

RB 730

hamburger
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote

Cool selection. I´d add something to that scene:

Slash Man :
* Robo knocks the pistol out of Leon's hand. Some dude catches it and keeps on dancing.

Verhoeven´s cameo. So funny.

The cracked visor is a powerful one. The music, The way Murphy moves his head and the camera paying attention to the eye... Everything´s fine with that particular bit.

As for Cecil... Isn´t it wonderful to see RoboCop doing a "screw you" sign with the techno spike? Laughing

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote

Lot of little things I liked in the film.. Their whole cop aesthetic was not only neat and interesting looking, but quite prescient in regard to how modern cops look - The tactical uniforms, semiauto pistols, rounded Taurus-style cars with strobe lights. Like I said, I always thought it looked neat when I first saw it many many years ago, like how real cops might look in the future (and indeed, how they do look very much like now),

Otherwise, hmm, lets see..

I also liked the gang's look and style. Leon's little eyeball jewel was a nice little bit.

Bob's home - the 'future house' was also quite nice, and again, rather foretelling of the future as well. Also liked the Beethoven doorbell - I didn't catch that one for a while 'cause the bell is kinda sweet and nice sounding. Bah! Smile

The flying hubcap during the steel mill chase was also awesome. For an accident, it was on f'n perfect cue in frame.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote

There are so many I'll have to think about it some more, but one off the top of my head is when Robocop blasts the ED-209 before going into the OCP building, with the little whirly thingy spinning around. Or what about when Robocop says he's not hungry? That isn't really a small moment, rather a huge moment, but perfection all the same. More coming soon.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote

^ I find it tough to come up with 'small moments' because many are actually quite big to me - I don't consider the eye reveal a 'small' thing in the film, for instance.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
^ I find it tough to come up with 'small moments' because many are actually quite big to me - I don't consider the eye reveal a 'small' thing in the film, for instance.

Well that's a big part of Robocop's majesty to me. I'm always trying to explain this to my friends. There's so much exaggeration in the violence and vision of the future and Robocop himself is quite over the top, but his dialogue is cuttingly subtle. It's been used at the end of Robocop and Robocop 2 excellently. He says a terse phrase that reveals so much. "We're only human." is a meaningless idiom unless spoken by Robo. This is also what makes any sort of romantic level to Robocop so interesting, a lot of my friends ask, "can Robocop fuck?" and the answer is no, but he does have very subtle moments of eroticism, or not so subtle in the case of the fantasy he has in Robocop 3. But for the most part Robocop only subtly implies emotion rather than bluntly state it, o even the smallest moment can be a huge revelation.

RB 1658

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote

I love

*95th floor, have a nice day*
*Bob's sniff when Dick walks by him during the meeting*
*Clarence putting Murphy's helmet on Emil, then flipping it down*
*The way Paul follows the shotgun down right before Clarence blows Murphy's hand off*
*The store owners laugh when watching Bixby*
*The funny demands Ron has*

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote

I enjoy a lot of moments that were already mentioned. Other moments I really like are:

- SWAT team shoots at Murphy as he drags himself on the ground - for some reason I really like scenes where the police chases the hero. It works really well with many characters and the scene is really emotional for me here as well. The music adds a great deal to it, but also the fact that Robo helplessly drags on.

- "Come on, Sal! Tigers are playin'... tonight!"

- The way Murphy's rage builds up in the end of the scene where he visits his home, right before punching the electronic salesman.

- The shot of Murphy grabbing the car keys Reed throws at him.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
- The way Murphy's rage builds up in the end of the scene where he visits his home, right before punching the electronic salesman.

In terms of a smaller detail I always loved the mix of transitions they did between the memories and present of that sequence - The first with a little static fuzz, the next with the camera flash, and then the last going through Murphy's wife.

They probably could have done that scene and shot it a number of ways and it still would have been great, but those particular manners of transition is a little thing that takes a 100% scene and made it a 110%. Just about the whole damn film is that way, really.

To add -

The little scrape of the undercarriage of the car Murphy/Robo does - Not healthy for the car but a nice and bit of badass detail.

Several little production design details and static props I liked - Some of which mentioned on the 20th commentary - Like the Old Man's crow sculpture and the bathroom with the over-urinal stock-tickers. I also liked the neon lights over the sink, the virtual broker at Murphy's house, and also the little voice things (like the female '95th floor' that Hell mentioned).

Another little thing, which is more of a nitpick but I still kinda like it - At the steel mill, when Robo-Murphy says "Get the car" when Clarence and gang show up - He appears to strain a bit to rack the slide the on Auto-9 (which probably wasn't easy in the gloves). Something I noticed one day and I always can't seem to ignore it. Just one those things I guess.

And since I guess it's a little detail, I love how many of the criminals Robo first encounters are so damn crazy and over the top but in an awesome and funny way - Ron Miller and his kooky demands of course, but gotta also love the constant 'FUCK ME!' screaming of the store robber. Good shit.

Also liked that the hospital crash team was a real one - I wasn't too sure prior to hearing that but after hearing it, again, another nice detail. Don't you like that - "Lets go ahead and shock a flat-line and then lets quit." - I couldn't have written that.

Also, being the gun guy I am, the Auto-9 reveal with the unique burst auto fire sounds - I heard them straight off just before they cut to showing it downrange.

Of course I love the design of the Auto-9 itself but again I think that leans a bit out of 'small things'. As do most anything else I can think of.

But to finish with a not-perhaps-that-'small'-thing - The ending with YOU'RE FIRED!. So damn simple and powerful. I like it!

Oh yeah "I LIKE IT!" would be there too. Shit, of course it's kinda assumed by default we all love the little quotes and sayings in the movie - "Good business is where you find it", "Thank you for your cooperation, Good night.", etc. I especially like most of the things said by Clarence and gang in the film.. And its not so much the dialogue but how its said and presented.. again another one of those 100 to 110% things.

"You.. YOU BURNED THE FUCKIN' MONEY!"

"Your ass is mine!" "NO.. Not yet it ain't."

Loved when he flipped out on Emil in the van too.. "Shut the fuck up and do it! Just do it!"

RB 52679

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :

Another little thing, which is more of a nitpick but I still kinda like it - At the steel mill, when Robo-Murphy says "Get the car" when Clarence and gang show up - He appears to strain a bit to rack the slide the on Auto-9 (which probably wasn't easy in the gloves). Something I noticed one day and I always can't seem to ignore it. Just one those things I guess.

Oh man, every single time I watch it I think about that.

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote

In Robocop 2, When Robocop says "you're coming with me, Cain."
He actually looks the right color for once in the film.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote

Sean_001 :
In Robocop 2, When Robocop says "you're coming with me, Cain."
He actually looks the right color for once in the film.

Love that moment! When it comes to "RoboCop 2", the final showdown between Murphy and Cain has plenty of really neat shots. I love the one where Robo crouches before jumping on Cain's back.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote

seriously tho there are really no small moments!

RB 1658

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote

I'm gonna praise again the screenplay, how efficient and lean it is, and outline all the little dialogues about capitalism that fill many moments through the film, for example Bob Morton after getting Robo green light from the Old Man, telling Johnson how he saw the chance and he got it, or all the background dialogue between Emil and the other gang guy about how he invest money on drugs to get more money and drugs, the law of offer and demand, etc. Making society speak in a film is such a complex thing, but here it is done in a brilliant and subtle way of providing context, theme and mood.

Oh, and this:

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard