New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Favorite Small Moments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
I'm gonna praise again the screenplay, how efficient and lean it is, and outline all the little dialogues about capitalism that fill many moments through the film, for example Bob Morton after getting Robo green light from the Old Man, telling Johnson how he saw the chance and he got it, or all the background dialogue between Emil and the other gang guy about how he invest money on drugs to get more money and drugs, the law of offer and demand, etc. Making society speak in a film is such a complex thing, but here it is done in a brilliant and subtle way of providing context, theme and mood.

^ That pretty much sums up what I was getting at in the last part of my last post nicely.

And I wasn't aware we were including the sequels in this, 'cause if so, I'll have some more posts yet..

Back to the bathroom scene, I also liked the little almost seductive movement through the hair Ronny Cox made before grabbing Bob, very interesting and even odd moment but something that still fits real well somehow. Yet another crazy thing that makes that 110% mark.

The spitting blood on the desk by Clarence fits there too - Wasn't needed but again, something that adds to an already great scene.

Ultimately again, I'm a bit torn on this topic - Pimp said it - There really are no 'small' moments in RoboCop, in that everything means something and no word or action is wasted to me. Credit to the immensely efficient and balanced screenplay, as artu said.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Back to the bathroom scene, I also liked the little almost seductive movement through the hair Ronny Cox made before grabbing Bob, very interesting and even odd moment but something that still fits real well somehow. Yet another crazy thing that makes that 110% mark.

The spitting blood on the desk by Clarence fits there too - Wasn't needed but again, something that adds to an already great scene.

Yes, there are so many little moments that aren't strictly necessary to tell the story, yet they make the film so rich to watch and enjoy at every moment.

The technician woman kissing Murphy/Robo in the POV scene, and then she falls backwards (we know a little accident that was not planned). I think the audience remembers those little details, they are so visual, characters look alive, pure cinema.

I also love (despite being a terribly sad and tense moment) when Clarence puts Murphy's helmet on Emil's head, the way he does it is such a rich body language, tells a lot about his status as a leader (which was established before in the van) but also about his playful personality. Is it also not a coincidence that Murphy, devoid of his helmet, defenseless before his death, will be imprisoned behind another helmet the rest of the movie?

And talking about Clarence, since it has been mentioned his fingers in the wine, him spitting blood in the white papers in front of lewis and reed, what about the secretary and the chewing gum. That scene is quite telling, we know from the computers database that he is a rapist, we can sense the danger for that secretary, and we all feel sympathy for how she reacts to him.

Think again about it, his fingers in the wine which he brings to his nose, he almost licks with his tongue the pin of the grenade in morton's house, he spits blood in Robo's face and then in front of Lewis and Reed, he sticks his chewing gum on the name of the secretary... He acts like an animal impregnating and transgressing others' territory, very physical and disrespectful. If that was not enough he also covers Robo full in blood when stabbed with the data spike! What a meaningful ending!

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote

As I have said, and still say and maintain, RoboCop is perfect. What is perfection? Not that there's nothing that can't still be added but there is absolutely nothing that can be taken away - I think that fits the bill completely.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote

One of my favorite moments in the movie is when they are calibrating Robocop (one of the first scenes with him, through his point of view).
While he is targeting the pen and doing voice analysis, there is a man's voice in the background who yells, "check!" every time Robo completes their request. Don't ask me why this sticks out in my mind, but it is just so fitting with the heavy emphasis the movie plays on Industrialism.
Listen for it!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote

I like the way his mouth looks in the house scene before he punches the monitor. I always make my face look like that and walk just like that. As much as possible. We're only human. Also the ratchet at the end of R2. makes me want to go back to that sig. Think I will.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote

I have also noticed that enraged look as he starts to quicken his pace before punching the monitor. That may be one of the first moments that "Murphy" reveals himself from within the machine. As a member of the audience, I wonder how many people looked at that and said, "was he supposed to show emotion? Was that intended?" If you care about the character and the actor really puts himself into the role, its very clear how that would naturally come out. My whole life is gone! DAMNIT! You always hear about method actors going to great lengths to get into characters and sometimes they make light of it (like in Tropic Thunder). But in this case, I think that they did great justice to the character and presented the story as if it were true. BRAVO!!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again to remember all of my favorite ones, but one small part at the beginning of the film always stood out to me. It's the part where Murphy has arrived at his new precinct, and he's putting his personal effects into his locker. He slams the locker door shut, and there are the stoic letters of his name on the nameplate in a close-up. It was such a subtle yet fitting way to underscore the man that is at the heart of the entire film.

I'll have to get back with you all on the assuredly dozens of other little touches I've always loved but don't remember just now...

RB 1633

ultra4
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Good eye, Todd, they played around with the nameplate symbol a couple of times in the movie. Removing Frederickson's name without a word when he died, Murphy's name as the locker slams, Clarence putting the gum on Dick Jones' secretary, Wendy's name plate, the executive bathroom card access. Not to mention all the references to status and titles To me it is a combination of the themes of corporate America and personal identity that reverberate through the film. Its a sign of creativity in creating points of reference in the film environment, a strong message or commentary on life and great storytelling.
We've discussed this before when commenting on the many difference between the films in the series. The first film just had a lot more to say than some of the sequels (not that they couldn't have said more, but that they didn't put the same effort into portraying these little things as coherently).

RB 1747

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Good eye, Todd, they played around with the nameplate symbol a couple of times in the movie. Removing Frederickson's name without a word when he died, Murphy's name as the locker slams, Clarence putting the gum on Dick Jones' secretary, Wendy's name plate, the executive bathroom card access. Not to mention all the references to status and titles To me it is a combination of the themes of corporate America and personal identity that reverberate through the film. Its a sign of creativity in creating points of reference in the film environment, a strong message or commentary on life and great storytelling.
We've discussed this before when commenting on the many difference between the films in the series. The first film just had a lot more to say than some of the sequels (not that they couldn't have said more, but that they didn't put the same effort into portraying these little things as coherently).

RB 1747

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again to remember all of my favorite ones, but one small part at the beginning of the film always stood out to me. It's the part where Murphy has arrived at his new precinct, and he's putting his personal effects into his locker. He slams the locker door shut, and there are the stoic letters of his name on the nameplate in a close-up. It was such a subtle yet fitting way to underscore the man that is at the heart of the entire film.

It symbolically mimics the closing of a coffin and puts his name in prominence as it would be on a headstone, underscoring Murphy's eventual fate (of sorts) in the film - Neumeier explicitly referred to this as 'the coffin-closing shot' in the 20th commentary. That said, I concur with JOF about the other identity nuances and subtle commentary with the other nameplates and such in the film. These too are nice yet arguably smaller details.

RB 52679

HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote

The little boy in R2 who is filming the crime in progress and also a little girl who hits the shop owner with the bat , saying "harder!".

RB 1199

game-xbox
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
TODD-209 :

It symbolically mimics the closing of a coffin and puts his name in prominence as it would be on a headstone, underscoring Murphy's eventual fate (of sorts) in the film - Neumeier explicitly referred to this as 'the coffin-closing shot' in the 20th commentary. That said, I concur with JOF about the other identity nuances and subtle commentary with the other nameplates and such in the film. These too are nice yet arguably smaller details.

Deep M F-er's

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote

(lol) I just thought of another part that's always stood out to me, and I'm just now realizing some twenty-eight years later how subtle yet brilliant it is from a screen-writing or storytelling point-of-view: remember the part where Murphy has regained some of his memories, and he sets-out on his search for Clarence Boddicker...well, when he finally tracks him down in th drug warehouse, he never goes on a rant, saying stuff like, "Remember me?! You killed me!! And now it's your turn!! Now you DIE!!" (lol) Not even at the end does he ever imply who he is to Clarence, nor does Boddicker ever let-on like he remembers his face, which suits his character perfectly, as if he'd murdered so many police officers in cold blood that he wouldn't recall any specific one. Another brilliant touch within this dynamic is the line where Boddicker says at the end, "You're taking this kinda personal, aren't you?" That's when you think to yourself for the first time that he really doesn't know...he's back from the dead to kill you, Clarence!

But the part that really drives my point home is when RoboCop brings Boddicker down to the station, and Reed asks, "What's the charge?", to which Murphy simply replies flatly, "He's a cop-killer." I always did think that was one of the most bad-ass lines from the entire film, but it has never occurred to me fully until now the implications of that line, how Murphy was acknowledging that Boddicker was his killer without actually saying it outright. There's just a lot of brilliant writing in the script like that that makes this film so special.

RB 1633

ultra4
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
(lol) I just thought of another part that's always stood out to me, and I'm just now realizing some twenty-eight years later how subtle yet brilliant it is from a screen-writing or storytelling point-of-view: remember the part where Murphy has regained some of his memories, and he sets-out on his search for Clarence Boddicker...well, when he finally tracks him down in th drug warehouse, he never goes on a rant, saying stuff like, "Remember me?! You killed me!! And now it's your turn!! Now you DIE!!" (lol) Not even at the end does he ever imply who he is to Clarence, nor does Boddicker ever let-on like he remembers his face, which suits his character perfectly, as if he'd murdered so many police officers in cold blood that he wouldn't recall any specific one. Another brilliant touch within this dynamic is the line where Boddicker says at the end, "You're taking this kinda personal, aren't you?" That's when you think to yourself for the first time that he really doesn't know...he's back from the dead to kill you, Clarence!

That is an old debate we've had here a few times, indeed in the movie there is not one single moment when Clarence shows he understands that Robo is in fact Murphy. However we know at the gas station Emil somewhat discovered it, so it would be normal to assume he told the others. Anyway they probably even don't know Murphy's name, they would just picture him as that guy they brutally killed in the factory, as you say he is just one among many cops they killed.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard