New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Duffy's Fate in RoboCop 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote

As always, apologies if this has been covered in the past.

Something occurred to me a while ago and I'd like to survey opinions on it.

I saw that horrific death scene when I was 10 or 11. What exactly do you think they do to him after the camera cuts away?

I've always assumed it's obvious - but actually the novelization and comic don't go into detail. And I wonder if actually we all think different things. Or maybe you just think, well they kill him - stop thinking about details Jim, you sicko.

I actually find that scene the most disturbing in the first two films.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Or maybe you just think, well they kill him - stop thinking about details Jim, you sicko.

Ditto tongue

Quote:
I actually find that scene the most disturbing in the first two films.

I think it is, not only disturbing but just too graphic, violent and sadistic. I was around 8 or 9 when I saw it for the first time. When we talk about R2 having too much of a dark and serious tone that is always the first image that comes to my mind.

The surgery to extract Cain's brain would also catch my attention when I was a kid.... Definitely.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
What exactly do you think they do to him after the camera cuts away?

There was a prop item for sale on ebay many years ago that seemed to indicate that Cain sent pieces of Duffy (fingers and toes) to the police department. (Similar to what happened to Robo.) Interesting if true but I never found any actual source or script to confirm this. I saved the prop picture but no way of telling if it's legit.

Interestingly, in the Fourth draft of Robo2 Cain kills Duffy by beating him to death with brass-knuckles. While beating Duffy to a mess Cain has some weird dialogue of being bullied as a child.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote

That's interesting. There's actually a similar scene in the Dead Or Alive comic.

Robo's dismantling obviously foreshadows it so we kind of know what Cain's like at that point.

I used to think it was a needlessly horrific scene (and I saw it in the cut version until 2002 as I live in the UK). Actually, it's clever in a way that it is gory, but it also leaves a massive amount to the imagination at the same time.

RB 2943

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
The surgery to extract Cain's brain would also catch my attention when I was a kid.... Definitely.

Yeah, I first started watching the Robocop movies when i was around 3. I had to stop watching the first one because it was too scary, but the other two were OK. The only thing is I would make my parents fast forward past the scene with Cain's brain in the jar. I would also make them fast forward past when Otomo has the messed up face until I was like 7 or so. Its funny though that the scene of them cutting up Duffy never bothered me as a kid. I guess the implication of violence really isn't as bad as seeing it.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote

The brain in the jar didn't bother me as much as the previous shot - Cain's POV of the labcoat walking around casually holding his face!

RB 2943

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote

I think Robo 2 tried to shock audiences on a lot of scenes, from the "stabbing heel on eye" from the begining, to Robo into pieces, dude shot in the eye and Duffyīs death and Cainīs brain. While I dislike things going on with eyes, those two pieces didnīt "hurt" me, found them even comical.

Robo2 came on 1990, so I was 6 when I saw it on the big screen (!). I remember a neighbour came with it on VHS when it came in. He rented it so my parents and I watched it. I kept spoiling all the movie, so they asked me to leave, and was so afraid of Cain while I was alone! Ah, memories...

As for Duffyīs death, yeah, itīs not fun to watch, but the violence and tone in this sequel is more "serious" than the previous one. Compare it to Emilīs death. While is brutal as hell (he explodes when Clarence hits him!), it has a "Warner Bros Cartoon, Looney Tunes" quality to it. Again, itīs something we already talked over and over, the tone of the sequels. I showed "RoboCop" to a friend and he cheered Emilīs death, to the point to ask me to put his death again.

I love Millerīs work but I donīt think his style didnīt translate well into the Robosequels.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote

The gratuitous violence in Robocop 2 seems like a way to one-up for the sequel. I remember averting my gaze when Duffy met his end. The Cain operation scene was particularly gory, but what resonated with me was the sound of the bonesaw and the sounds of them removing his brain. The scene with the doctor holding the lower half of Cain's skull is indeed creepy. The special effects in that movie are very good overall (in a time with little to no cgi!).
This takes me a bit off topic, but as I read it made me think about how easily people can watch someone getting shot, but when someone starts to cut someone with a scalpel, it makes us cringe. I hate eye wounds in movies because they gross me out a bit. For some reason, I particularly hate hand wounds (like in the beginning of Darkman when Eddie Black lost his fingers with the cigar cutter). That stuff really bugs me!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote

You know there's probably a really interesting point about how humans are trained to have adverse reactions to different forms of violence, but I'm no psychiatrist so its lost on me.

RB 1658

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
This takes me a bit off topic, but as I read it made me think about how easily people can watch someone getting shot, but when someone starts to cut someone with a scalpel, it makes us cringe. I hate eye wounds in movies because they gross me out a bit. For some reason, I particularly hate hand wounds (like in the beginning of Darkman when Eddie Black lost his fingers with the cigar cutter). That stuff really bugs me!

Statistically people are generally more scared of blades than guns, a crime victim is less likely to scream out when confronted up close with a bladed weapon than a firearm. And that makes sense - In a knife fight you are just about guaranteed to get cut and blade stabs and especially slashes are truly horrible wounds, not just in themselves but just to visualize, big gaping slits into one's flesh and body - Gunshots are certainly horrible wounds but their damage isn't too overt, they aren't quite as graphic to actually look at for most by comparison. These are psychological studies from various parties, including law enforcement and practical defense communities and they are quite valid. I agree about eye area and all that as well. But as you said, that's all another thing.

That said, I'm with Chanood and artuditu in terms of the topic, they pretty much said it as have many of us over the years. R1's violence was gratuitous but comical, had a layer of absurdity. Indeed cartoonish at times, but still horrible. R2 was a lot more cold and brutal, leaning more towards horror and shock and almost totally devoid of any lightness whatsoever. There were a couple of humorous-leaning tones to the violence in a couple of instances to me, but I think they were unintentional - I thought holding Cain's face was shocking but ridiculous at the same time, again, the latter was probably unintended though. Duffy's death is indeed hard to watch, and even cringe-worthy. It's just cold and scary.

Jim needs to get his damn Aliens already :
Actually, it's clever in a way that it is gory, but it also leaves a massive amount to the imagination at the same time.

That is true, part of its horror is that we don't see much, following the whole 'imagination is more powerful (or, in this context, worse) than reality' reasoning. Verhoeven, Miner and Neumeier noted this in interviews about R1 being re-cut, stating that by taking some away they actually took the lightness out of it, and made it more violent in that regard. Same thing here, except again, there's no lightness here, so it's taking a shocking and brutal scene and only making it more so.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote

I always found the fact that Cain has a surgeon (presumably medically qualified) terrifying too. Apart from being disturbing, it shows the power and influence Cain has.

Clarence and Cain are both great villains because you genuinely feel they're dangerous and not to be fucked with. They have an almost heel-like quality (wrestling term) but are both intelligent and brutal.

RB 2943

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote

^ Oh yeah. Even there though those two characters reflect the tone of the two films - Clarence has a layer of humor and fun to him, vicious and sadistic though it may be. Cain not quite so much. Still though, you got it.

Anyway, an interesting thing about Duffy's death (for me anyway) is that it parallels somewhat with the death of Bob Morton in that, though he is a bad guy and we know he worked against the cops and Robo, you can't help but feel a bit sorry about his death at the hands of Cain, whatever he may have done he didn't quite deserve what happened to him, especially not that level of brutality and savageness.

However, unlike Bob, which we feel bad for because we mostly like his character and are fond of his contribution in the film (which is of course being the 'daddy' of RoboCop), Duffy's death is more sad in that moment and because of the manner in which he dies, which I guess would actually be more akin to Murphy's death in a way. Again, though, Murphy's death featured the macabre humor, laughing and jokes from Clarence and co - Which in some ways is actually more depraved but in spite of that does ease the tension of that moment, as opposed to here where again, it is just cold and shocking, no buffer or diffusion at all.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote

Good Comparison, Stan, Officer Duffy and Bob Morton's Deaths in the films are similar in that they are part of the futuristic corporate run, Robocop Universe, somewhat indirectly related to our protagonist's actions.
It might seem odd , but I think that killing Bob was more heinous crime. In his world, he was just the typical corporate climber (like Kinney) who was removed from the violence. The things that happen to him don't seem just to me (he may have pissed off Dick Jones, but he didn't commit any crime). Officer Duffy should have heeded Robocop's advice and "stayed out of trouble." When you deal with drug gangs, you're playing with fire.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
It might seem odd , but I think that killing Bob was more heinous crime. In his world, he was just the typical corporate climber (like Kinney) who was removed from the violence. The things that happen to him don't seem just to me (he may have pissed off Dick Jones, but he didn't commit any crime).

I completely agree. While Bob Morton might not be the most moral guy, he really didn't do anything wrong. Dick Jones didn't care wether the ED-209s worked, as long as it made money, and Bob was able to find a solution that actually worked. And he might just have seen Robocop as a product but at least he had pride in his work. Sure, he was doing blow with a couple bitches, but if thats a sin I don't wanna go to heaven!

RB 1658

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard