New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Hats off to Sargeant Reed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote

I though about this today after work:
In futuristic Detroit where crime is out of control and the police force has been privatized by a large corporation, where corruption is running rampant and the citizens are scared to leave their homes, could there be a better leader in the police precinct than Sargeant Warren Reed?

This is a guy who seems to be unphased by the sleazy lawyers, domineering OCP execs, and overly abundant criminals. Sure, he's old fashioned, but I get the impression that he was probably one hell of a cop.

I sometimes wish that I could work for Sargeant Reed. I love the way that he treats his officers with respect when they earn it (like when he sticks up for Lewis in the first movie. "This guy's a serious asshole."). I like how he does his job the best he can despite interference by OCP. I loved how he threw down his badge when McDaggett tried to force him to clear out the people living on the streets in Robocop 3. He even joined the resistance in the end of the film.

I think that while his role was a small one in all three movies (especially Robocop 2), it was a memorable one. Sargeant Reed is a model example and unsung hero in these films. I just wish that he had more of a role in the movies.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote

Reed is one of those no-nonsense police chiefs that everybody likes. He knows how real cops kick ass!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
gez1967
drop it . dead or alive your coming with me

L-L3

Comment: looking for me

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Sgt reed what a guy.... And we all know his one liners , legend

RB 1158

robocop3-gunarm ultra1 dc-superman VoorHees-Mask ultra5 remake1 transformers-icon1 batman-Batmobile
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Sergeant Reed, proving that even in the near future there is always the quasi-angry no-shit black senior police officer, and the world is better for it. Smile

Seriously though, great character, and one of many smaller yet notable things that make R1 greater than the sum of the parts. For me he honestly brought a feel and belief of grounding reality, despite being otherwise almost a total cliche. I agree that he seems to have had the pulse of his fellow officers and has earned their respect for the most part. He definitely seems like he has earned his stripes. Though he isn't exhibited too much in R1 he, like everything else in that film, had a purpose and meaning and isn't wasted at all.

R3 was probably his highlight, he showed full-on in there that he was just like Robo/Murphy in that his loyalties lie more with the three prime directives than his corporate masters. Despite being in some ways more of a cliche in that film he's honestly one of the things that make R3 watchable for me.

In memory of two individuals, let me just conclude by saying God bless Sergeant Reed! Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote

You're right, Stan, Robocop 3 was definitely Reed's movie. It makes me wonder why he was so silent in Robocop 2. They brought just about every other secondary character into the movie, including grouchy OCP guy, the Mayor of Detroit, Hookers, Cain's skeezy gang member and meth cook. Why the hell is Sgt. Reed only on camera for 5 minutes! Someone must have lost a couple pages of the script when they were filming that movie, because he was most definitely skipped.
On the same note, I liked the Captain Reed in the Robo Remake, even though she was crooked, but I hate that it tarnishes the Reed name! A cop named Reed is true blue and should be heralded by the entire community. Perhaps this was a foreshadowing of how the Robo Remake was not destined to be a classic film. When you burn Reed, you might was well torch your own self.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
On the same note, I liked the Captain Reed in the Robo Remake, even though she was crooked, but I hate that it tarnishes the Reed name! A cop named Reed is true blue and should be heralded by the entire community. Perhaps this was a foreshadowing of how the Robo Remake was not destined to be a classic film. When you burn Reed, you might was well torch your own self.

Actually she was the Chief of police, and her name was Dean, not Reed. I don't believe she was based on or otherwise connected with the original Reed character in any way.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote

Really? I thought it was Reed. Well, they're damn lucky.

RB 1747

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote

Reed is the realest one on the force. Even realer than Murphy, who is flashy. Reed is down to Earth, with nothing to prove, just a man doing his job. Becoming Robocop humbles Murphy, makes him into the kind of cop Reed is. But Reed didn't have to die be Reed. He just is.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe Reed was a machine that got put into a human body!!!

RB 1747

Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote

He deserves admiration for being one of the saving graces of RoboCop 3 alone. I'm glad they didn't kill him off in RoboCop 2.

RB 730

hamburger
Term180
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: "My Neo Kobe Pizza! It sank... just like the rest of this city's gonna!"

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Slash Man :
He deserves admiration for being one of the saving graces of RoboCop 3 alone. I'm glad they didn't kill him off in RoboCop 2.

Very true.
The battle at the end of R3 was poorly-executed enough, but without having Sgt. Reed there, it would have been downright depressing, and the walkout sequence would have suffered enormously had he been absent.

I only wish we could have seen Reed's reaction to the death of Lewis in R3, especially since Robo is depicted as being basically emotionless in that film ("officer down.. a hearse is approaching... Officer Lewis' efficiency is at 0%.." okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a tad) considering Reed had seen several officers killed in the line of duty in the past, it'd be interesting to see how he copes with another loss.

The late Robert DoQui was an awesome actor, and I also thoroughly enjoyed his part in the film Miracle Mile- a film that finally had an HD release this year. Very Happy

RB 102

game-xbox
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote

Lewis' efficiency is at 0%. Nice.
Robocop would have been human enough to say something a bit more emotionally-laden than that, but Reed on the other hand. . .
He's just one tough son of a gun. He probably would have used Lewis' lifeless body as a human shield and chased down some Splatter Punks with his sawed off shotgun.

RB 1747

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote

Well, it was nice of R3 to give Reed such a big spot, he was more of a lead character than Robocop in this film who was virtually a side prop (cant call him a character). I did thought it was a bit cheesy and overly heroic to have Reed take the stand and fight for the city, but I cant say I didnt like it

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
I did think it was a bit cheesy and overly heroic to have Reed take the stand and fight for the city, but I cant say I didnt like it.

Maybe I'm biased because I've been watching Robocop 3 for as long as I can remember (it might even be the one I've seen the most because the first two were too violent for me as a kid) but I actually thought that was one of the better, less cheesy elements of Robocop 3. I think it represented a good conclusion to the whole 'cops on strike' storyline that was building from the first movie. They didn't go on strike because because they didn't like being cops, they did it because they were fed up with OCP. If you recall, Reed was against the strike because they had a duty to uphold. in Robocop 3 he too reaches his breaking point, but he doesn't just walk out. He takes the law into his own hands and continues with his duties the only way he can. I think it's a satisfying conclusion to his character's arc... but then again it is Robocop 3 so I guess everything is just a little bit cheesy when all is said and done.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard