New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Hob's death chat with Robo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote

RB 1199

game-xbox
Officer Igor Antunes
Detroit Police | Omnicorp

Sgt-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Nice prints HOB888, i wonder if they filmed this thing as they scripted, Robo would be less "nonsense".

RB 1741

chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Good stuff HOB888.

RB 856

game-xbox
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Y'know...I've had my complaints about RoboCop 2 in recent years, but Hob's death scene isn't one of them. I've always felt it was one of the better scenes in the film actually. It highlights the fact that in the end, Hob is just a scared little kid. All of his shockingly-adult posturing and unnerving criminal behavior is gone, and he finally resembles the kid you thought he really would have been had he not got caught-up in the criminal street life he was living. And it was particularly touching because we see another glimpse of Murphy's subtle humanity that surfaces every now and then. Then there's the echo of his own death experience when he tells Hob that "it won't hurt long"...there are so many layers, implications, and simple nuances in that one scene that stand out in that film for me and reminds me that the sequel was not always the lesser film I make it out to be in my own mind.

RB 1633

ultra4
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote

HOB888 :

Awesome, wow, thanks for posting these. Happy robo Would love to have the R2 script.
And this one features it when it was Robo Kong!

TODD-209 :
Y'know...I've had my complaints about RoboCop 2 in recent years, but Hob's death scene isn't one of them. I've always felt it was one of the better scenes in the film actually. It highlights the fact that in the end, Hob is just a scared little kid. All of his shockingly-adult posturing and unnerving criminal behavior is gone, and he finally resembles the kid you thought he really would have been had he not got caught-up in the criminal street life he was living. And it was particularly touching because we see another glimpse of Murphy's subtle humanity that surfaces every now and then. Then there's the echo of his own death experience when he tells Hob that "it won't hurt long"...there are so many layers, implications, and simple nuances in that one scene that stand out in that film for me and reminds me that the sequel was not always the lesser film I make it out to be in my own mind.

^ Totally, yep I agree star

RB 4892

Ed-260
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote

I think it was fine the way it was, like someone said, it showed that Hob, at the end, is still just a frightened kid. I like that the dialogue is kept to bare minimum and the momentum and music does most of the work. The imagery of a childs bloody hand over money was also strong. I think Kershner made all the right decisions, I really didnt like how it was done in the scripts. Sometimes, less is more

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
Then there's the echo of his own death experience when he tells Hob that "it won't hurt long"...
It was Lewis in RoboCop 3 that Murphy said "it won't hurt long". In fact, Murphy says nothing to help Hob at all during his death scene. He tells him to lie still, then questions him on what happened and then Hob dies. He does stay with Hob when asked, but apart form that it's a kind of cold attitude towards him. No comforting words, no reassurances, just business really.

RB 18145

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Paddy :
TODD-209 :
Then there's the echo of his own death experience when he tells Hob that "it won't hurt long"...
It was Lewis in RoboCop 3 that Murphy said "it won't hurt long". In fact, Murphy says nothing to help Hob at all during his death scene. He tells him to lie still, then questions him on what happened and then Hob dies. He does stay with Hob when asked, but apart form that it's a kind of cold attitude towards him. No comforting words, no reassurances, just business really.

I disagree. There may not be much of a dialogue, but Wellers voice performance says more than words, the way he says it, or the way he answers Hob with soft, defeated "yes"

RB 525

HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Paddy :
TODD-209 :

I disagree. There may not be much of a dialogue, but Wellers voice performance says more than words, the way he says it, or the way he answers Hob with soft, defeated "yes"

Agreed the scene was perfect as filmed.I wish i could get the mp3 of the music heard during the intro of that scene, wich is missing in the score.We need Intrada !

RB 1199

game-xbox
Robojeep
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Paddy :
TODD-209 :

Robo says "yes" after hob has died so he wouldnt have heard robo talk softly to him. The only time he may have sounded softer was when he said "i wont leave you"

Just my opinion.

RB 475

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote

Robojeep :
KidGoesWild :
Paddy :
TODD-209 :

Robo says "yes" after hob has died so he wouldnt have heard robo talk softly to him. The only time he may have sounded softer was when he said "i wont leave you"

Just my opinion.

Yeah, but that doesnt change how Robo was feeling, which for me was important in that scene, and shows that he wasnt just putting an act for Hob. The comfort of keeping company and taking in Hobs last words was enough imo

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Honestly, I think the final death scene in the movie is perfect just the way it is. Any longer and it would have ruined the pacing as well as the character to an extent. He got shot A LOT, so for him to bleed out and die quickly makes perfect sense. But in no way does the scene make Hobb seem weak in my opinion. It shows a very minuscule glimpse(just like in the Duffy murder scene) that he is after all, just a kid. But he's still a tough SOAB. Even on his death bed....of money.

RB 1163

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet UC-M21
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I thought about this topic again and while I still think that Robo should have been a little less forgiving, something I just thought of has convinced me even more. Hob's character is similar to Emil's character in the first movie. Both are henchmen of sorts, and both have a larger role than other henchmen in both movies' evil gangs. While the first movie had more henchmen to work with (perhaps adding to the drama of the final battle scenes), Hob's death scene had a similar "day of reckoning" effect where the evil character is killed off by a greater evil character with whom they were once allied. However, even though both characters are similarly punished, Hob got much better treatment than Emil. Come on! He was transformed into Melty Man by toxic waste (instantly, I might add. It must have been REALLY potent stuff), and then he gets run over by Clarence in the 6000SUX! No one mourns! No chance to show regret! Just a messy and quick death! I think that Robocop 2 should have been more unforgiving of Hob, especially since he was far worse than Emil.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote

And again, all the while I hear R2 is too nasty and mean. :roll:

I don't see Hob as bad as Emil personally, and equating them is flawed - Emil was directly involved in Murphy's death. Thus there's revenge motive there with Robo/Murphy, which is nothing like the case with Hob, who Robo as Murphy (once a father) sees as misguided and wasted youth, it's more tragedy than hate.

With that, Emil's death really deserved no regret. Furthermore, his death allowed no chance of 'mourning' either - He didn't have a (somewhat) drawn out death as was the case with Hob. Hob's death was that way as symbolism as has been noted, unlike Emil who was used as dark and macabre humor amidst the third act action.

Again, I don't see how the two are equatable, and thus don't see how there's a correlation that can be made supporting a 'Robo should have been meaner to a dying Hob' argument.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard