New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2: Corporate Wars - Script
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote

For many years this was THE RoboCop holy grail. A mysterious script of a movie that never was. A true sequel to RoboCop.
Now 28 years after being written it can finally be read and discussed by fans. It's a surreal moment to be sure.

This script is the first and only draft made and dates back to 1/1 1988.
It is missing two pages, 48 and 101, but has the added bonus of featuring the notes of the writers on a lot of the pages.
Some of the notes are more readable than others while some are hard or impossible to see.

As with a lot of things on the archive this was a team effort and several archive members helped getting to where we are now.
Lots of lots of paper copying and scanning occurred.

While I was happy to have the script in my possession, a worry was what the writers would think about having their rough and unfinished script out in the public.
Luckily Ed Neumeier gave us his blessing and OK'ed having the script on the site.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Trying to decipher the first note:

"I wonder if we need (any situation?) of how Robo goes back to his old duties, (w/o?) (loving cliched?) (**hlocks?)/clips from previous movies. I somehow feel we need to link the two. Some how explain what Robo's (doing?) (looks like "in"?) the street again."

The second note's very hard to read, but here's what I could make out:

"(great?) (b**k? could be "back" or "black") (d****) (a******) ("in" or "on"?) (could be an l-word or d-word) (the middle part is heavily obscured) to ("be" or "a"?) very strong (and?) expensive"

Great read so far.

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Sin_Valor :
Trying to decipher the first note:

This is what I deciphered it to:

PAGE 3 NOTES:
    "I wonder if we need any explanation on how Robo came back to his old duties w/o (without) clichéd flashbacks/clips from the previous movie."

"I somehow feel we need to link the two some how. Explain what Robo's doing on the streets again."

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote

You're right, I think that does say "flashbacks/clips".

Here's what I got from the third note:

"Unclear how/if Robo fits into this scene of (****ava(i?)so(r?)d) (R/B?)(ileys?)"

-

Oh god, page 11 Shocked

Well...here's the best I've got:

"great image"

"how did these two (find?) him, where has he been for 25 years"

"why would he be (out?) in the junk heeps"

"there is also a special opportunity here for a salesman character, sort of a 21st century junkyard owner who fills ("m/gon?" or "on", or "us on") Robo's history capabilities, this could add a humorous touch and also would solve my/any question, also who (***ctly? could be "exactly") they are ("buying" or "busy") this from (couldn't make out that word), this place seems empty"

"or at least have the computer have a voice..."

whew.

-

Page 13 note:

"again, how exactly does Robo fit in, and shouldn't Robo drive the story, (instead?) of the other way around?"

-

Page 14 note:

"unclear exactly what Robo's purpose is"

Okay I'm done deciphering notes for now.

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote

Just downloaded it.. Very Happy Will need to dedicate some free time to read it all proper but a great Robo-dream has been fulfilled! I've been looking forward to this for quite a while.. Many kudos and thanks to those involved in getting this gem available to us... yessir

PS - I feel this topic merits being in the 'Featured Topics' forum, but that's me.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote

I'll be going on the road today, so this will provide an excellent read!
I'd like to take the rest of this post to thank everyone involved in making this available for the rest of us and to Ed Neumeier himself for OKing it.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote

As Stan said above, big thanks to all those involved in obtaining this, and I'm going to see if it can be my bedtime storybook for a few nights - 112 pages of Robo bring it on!

RB 4892

Ed-260
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's boogaloo baby
oh dear

Hmm, that is very out there I must say.
It doesn't advance the character of Robocop/Murphy which I was hoping they would explore more, being the character they made.

For me it would be too far removed from R1. I think I would miss Robo in Detroit in his Taurus ridding the city of crime. At least Robo does say 'Drop it' - probably my favourite part of the script Happy robo

It is an interesting idea waking Robo up many years later, a theme I would have hoped the remake would have taken to continue on from the original. But this feels like any sci-fi. Maybe interesting to see in another what could have been R2 comic book.

Glad I have had the chance to read it, thanks to Archive et al.

RB 4892

Ed-260
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote

The script has some good, great and some really awful stuff in it. The writers weren't exaggerating when they call it a very rough draft.

The worst part for me is probably the robo-rap on the final pages. Sure it was 88 when the draft was written but that whole thing is b-movie terrible.

I both love and hate the 25 years later concept. It would have been different and made the movies stand apart like alien and aliens do, but it would have been a shame to loose al the characters from the first movie.

RB 347913

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Archive for this!

We should be benevolent with the screenplay, it is stated to be a first rough draft, also for a sequel, so we cannot judge it as a finished product at all.

Said that, I read the first 20 pages and no much was working there really. As we all were afraid of, Robo is destroyed in the very first scene without almost saying a word, it may have been a cool action sequence (very reminiscent of R2 first scene by the way), he shoots many bad guys, but as a story of character and dialogues nothing happens there, it's empty.

What happens after, until the page 20, is also kind of weak. Since 1 page of a screenplay averages 1 minute of film screentime, we are 20 minutes in the movie, and there is just no antagonists yet, no character development, we don't know exactly what the characters are going after by repairing Robo (a lot of dialogues that keep pushing forward their real motivations and purposes).

That first section of the film would have had troubles being scrutinized by producers, it needs a lot of rework, the 20 first minutes are vital to any movie, in particular an action fast-paced movie. Robo just appeared in the beginning but without showing any personality, and now we are just waiting for him to be reactivated, there is no flavor to what is happening meanwhile.

Also as we knew, this becomes a high sience-fiction movie, I think it tries to emulate the Blade Runner feel (not a surprise, Verhoeven also wanted that kind of world, but due to budget constraints had to bring the story more to the present). As a curiosity, the beginning with Robo "dying" and then the robotic wreck yard reminds me a lot of Alien 3 (which was posterior obviously).

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote

I didnīt finished it, but it would be an interesting film to see. And Iīm not saying itīd be great.

I mean, the pace is way too much different than the first movie. Itīs more a movie about people talking and a cyborg using his weapon at some points. At least itīs like that for the moment. But Iīd find it interesting at the same time. I wonder how people would react to it.

Some people told us the lenght of the Roboviolence in the first film, not too long, but the whole movie goes fast and seems it has more action pieces than actual minutes of blood and bullets. Here the pacing is slow. Maybe they were trying to develop that futuristic world (which reminds me the one of Total Recall at times, with the driving droids).

Rough draft, indeed. Curious to see how it ends, so I think I shold stop reading your comments in this topic

tongue

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Its takes about half way through the script for the plot to thicken out and to understand how the characters are connected, which would have worked really well and interesting in their own merit, but I felt as though Robo was a second character just along for the ride with no real forefront in the movie.

I must say though they picked out the best bits to use in the series pilot 'the future of law enforcement" which I really enjoy watching. I think they understood how to write Neurobrain\Diana into the story and make Robo the main star.

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
I must say though they picked out the best bits to use in the series pilot 'the future of law enforcement" which I really enjoy watching. I think they understood how to write Neurobrain\Diana into the story and make Robo the main star.

Makes sense. I always consider "The Future Of Law Enforcement" as the most 'finalized' take we would ever get on the Corporate Wars story. This is exemplified in my old article but I think it shows a re-working of it would have made for a pretty good film. Make it a bit darker and more adult and intense, give it more of a 'Verhoeven experience' treatment and that plus the story it had might have made for a nice R2, better than what we got (nothing against Miller's work, mind you, but like Verhoeven I do think many of the original sequel ideas were/are superior to what we ended up with).

Anyway, I have read a few pages, should really read more to get a better idea but I appreciate reading others' insight into it anyway right now.

There certainly appears to be some real wonky and off-kilter stuff for sure.. but as said, it is a rough draft. Again, with some polishing for better pacing and emphasis on Robo it might have been something at least interesting, if not actually quite good. I think the 'duck out of water' aspect is a good one to go with for a Robo story (Mortal Coils used it pretty well to an extent IIRC) and the future environment might have done for good satire and observations (Back To The Future II did it a bit and it worked, Blade Runner did also to a degree).

It not really hitting anything in the first while of it is a problem.. I don't mind some buildup but you can't overdo it or people will lose interest and understanding and you're in trouble. Reminds me of Escape From New York - I appreciate the cut bank robbery sequence as a bit of extra buildup now but I agree with it being cut from the finished film as it only drags things out and does so in a confusing manner - nothing makes sense until after the sequence itself. Seems to be a similar kind of thing here after Robo is blown up (which I can imagine in my head as being an amazing action-intro sequence).

I do think dropping all those established elements - OCP, Lewis, Reed, etc - is very risky. It can be done if you have near or equally good things to replace that with, but even so it's tough. In that regard I prefer the Series Pilot, as it retained the characters and that 'closer' near-future setting that the original had.

What Chanood said about "people talking and a cyborg using his weapon at some points" reminds me a bit of the remake.. not a good thing. Hopefully that isn't too much of it, though it rather seems it. I remember the retrospective on the site about essentially making Robo a pawn in other bigger schemes and pieces and being reminded of that heavily when I first saw the remake. Bah. But again, need to read more for myself of course. I think we can all agree this is a wonderful and fascinating discovery and adventure for all of us. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote

The script was... an interesting read. Not a particularly good one, but acceptable as a first rough draft.

It has a lot of problems though. One of those is that Robo is barely in it. He's not the main character, but more of a tool for the story. His humanity is pretty much gone and his weapon upgrades remind me of the Gunarm and Alpha Commando quite a bit.
Speaking of Alpha Commando, it definitely seems to carry some of Corporate Wars' spirit. The action scenes in the script are very cartoonish, especially the fight against the two Destructobots. It sounds like something that'd be really neat to watch, but not necessarily something I'd expect to see in a RoboCop movie.
Visually, I had some trouble imagining it. I couldn't get a constant feel of the way it would've looked - derelict and run-down or somewhat of a Delta City surrounded by ghettos and ruins? The only thing I thought was that Robo's design would definitely look archaic when compared to the rest. Which might have been the point of it, to some extent.
The potential of NeuroBrain and her relationship with Murphy is unexplored, but fortunately, they fixed that when The Series came along.

Overall, it's a script that doesn't really need RoboCop in it. But heck, I love the idea of Bixby Snider as president. You could even say that I'd buy that for a dollar.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard