New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2: Corporate Wars - Script
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Interesting read, glad it got posted.

Yes folks, I still lurk from time to time. I never forgot this place, spent too many years on it to do that.

RB 495

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Mephisto :

Yes folks, I still lurk from time to time. I never forgot this place, spent too many years on it to do that.

Well now, this topic turns out to be full of pleasant surprises!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
Mephisto :

Well now, this topic turns out to be full of pleasant surprises!

Howdy Meph! hope you are doing well.

This is definitely a rough draft, just wish they could of worked on it more...but so glad after all this time it found its way here!

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote

I finished it. And I didnīt get it tongue

I didnīt pay too much attention to every detail, and some quasi-futuristic words doesnīt help either, but I think it was a bizarre screenplay. I can see Ed giving a lot of homages to Blade Runner and Judge Dredd in this one. There are nods to Ridley Scottīs film (doesnīt shock me, as he wanted that feel on Robo1; even this script uses the word replicant in some pages), and RoboCop here talks more like Dredd than Murphy in the previous movie.

Thereīs something funny as well, and Iīd put SPOILER here if someone doesnīt want to know what it was, but Ed & Michael didnīt like Robo with a gunarm in RoboCop 3, but they added a flamethrower and a cannon on both Robohands.

Archive :
The worst part for me is probably the robo-rap on the final pages. Sure it was 88 when the draft was written but that whole thing is b-movie terrible.

Yeah, the overall look of the whole script is weird. Too much different tones and ideas in there. I think itīs not too bad, as it was a first draft and theyīd be toying with ideas, but it gets too far from anything we know from the character. Donīt know how the filming script could be, and itīd be interesting on how the audience would react from that film.

Also, I think itīd be quite difficult to do a sequel from this film.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Even with it's flaws, I'd take the sequel we got over this anyday. Alot of this shit ended up being used in that Canadian Robo TV series anyway.

RB 495

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :

Also, I think itīd be quite difficult to do a sequel from this film.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Where do you take Robo to after this?

RB 4892

Ed-260
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote

Oh man, I know I said we couldn't judge this being a first draft, but what a huge disappointment... I can't see any potential in there, the concept is just poor from the beginning. I endorse what has been said here: lots of influence from Blade Runner and Judge Dredd, and Robo is a secondary element in the story.

There is just no Murphy at all, the few times Robo appears he is dropping lines as if he was 100% a machine. No character, no motivations, goals or conflicts. All the human element of the first movie is gone, no place here for great acting, neither for the emotional poetry of Poledouris' music.

The main purpose of the writers seems to be the science fiction elements, the futuristic city, they dream of a huge budget, like Blade Runner and Total Recall had, but I don't see any story or characters to justify such an investment, they just were dreaming of how it would visually look, as if it contained everything they couldn't afford in the first movie.

As a fan I can only consider it a sort of curiosity, it has Robo in there, but it doesn't bring anything at all to the story and character we know, it just has no continuity, Robo is not the same and he barely speaks or does anything other than shooting bad guys. Yes, there are a few nods, TV spots and some corporate corruption and strifes, and that is the end of it, as if there were no other powerful themes in the original.

We like to criticize producers, but to be fair, if I was working at Orion at the time I would have been very worried to read this first draft. I wonder if Verhoeven read any of this. He would be obviously interested in the sexbots, but I can't imagine anything else.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote

This is a nice acquisition for the archive... I have perused the document and enjoyed the Roborap at the end... no wonder Orion turned down this script. Laughing I am not a huge fan of reading scripts though, so could someone write a synopsis? It doesn't have to be super long but I think many of us would benefit from it, and it could be added to the page about it so the casual visitor of the archive can get the gist without reading the whole thing. Anyway, if someone could do this that would be great... if not I'll probably wind up doing it myself at some point.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
There is just no Murphy at all, the few times Robo appears he is dropping lines as if he was 100% a machine.

Well, Ed said that he doesnīt get how the rest of the RoboCop saga tried to humanized Murphy, and called him "Robo" even at the end of the first script. That would be a reason why he acts like that here.

artuditu :
I wonder if Verhoeven read any of this. He would be obviously interested in the sexbots, but I can't imagine anything else.

tongue

To me, itīs hard to imagine the action scenes here; there are too much robots on it. I wonder how Verhoeven could handle those scenes.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
artuditu :
There is just no Murphy at all, the few times Robo appears he is dropping lines as if he was 100% a machine.

Well, Ed said that he doesnīt get how the rest of the RoboCop saga tried to humanized Murphy, and called him "Robo" even at the end of the first script. That would be a reason why he acts like that here.

Hmm, maybe it was Verhoeven's direction that stressed the reemerging of the human soul in the original, you can see in his many interviews how important was that theme for him, the music and visuals make some metaphysical poetry of it. For Verhoeven, in a capitalist world the human soul is the only thing that cannot be turned into a product and be traded for, Peter Weller even has talked of the deep meaning of hearing his name "Murphy" as a means to awaken his submerged consciousness.

I might re-read the original screenplay with some questioning, maybe for Ed and Michael the humanity of Robo was something secondary, a robot with distant memories of being human, but not feeling human (or just a 5% or 10% human). At least that is the impression we get in this CW script.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Pewero
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the script!
Maybe, one day, we'll read the David Self's one for the reboot too. With Aronofsky involved and knowing his Batman, probably it features a very different RoboCop from what we have seen yet.

RB 95

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote

Pewero :
Thank you for the script!
Maybe, one day, we'll read the David Self's one for the reboot too. With Aronofsky involved and knowing his Batman, probably it features a very different RoboCop from what we have seen yet.

There was one of the drafts for RebootCop floating on the net. The one with Murphy being "killed" by thugs, Oldmanīs character testing robotics on monkeys and Murphy without an eye at the end. Donīt know if thatīs the one youīre talking about.

RB 11786

Pewero
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote

No, that was written by Joshua Zetumer (that wrote the final movie too) with revisions by Nick Schenk. I was talking about the script written by David Self when the movie was scheduled for 2010, with Darren Aronofsky as director. In 2011 there were rumors about a comic adaptation of it, but nothing happened. It's a shame it didn't leak on the web, it could be a very good read.

RB 95

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Pewero :
No, that was written by Joshua Zetumer (that wrote the final movie too) with revisions by Nick Schenk. I was talking about the script written by David Self when the movie was scheduled for 2010, with Darren Aronofsky as director. In 2011 there were rumors about a comic adaptation of it, but nothing happened. It's a shame it didn't leak on the web, it could be a very good read.

I wonder if that would save RebootCop from the flop it was.

Anyway, for this Corporate Wars script I think it could take all the fans from the first one by surprise. Way too much ahead of the "spirit" of the original, and the rest of the characters from that universe were important and charismatic to avoid them on this. Funny to see even at the begining, I assume short after the end of the first movie, thereīs no Lewis along RoboCop when he confronts that gang. Or her appearing when you see cops approaching him after the hit.

RB 11786

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard