New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2: Corporate Wars - Script
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote

Archive :
Having a parody trump character seems too obvious i think. Every comedian and every show on TV has made fun of trump in one way or another and assuming "RoboCop Returns" is released in 2020 the whole thing is just gonna feel extremely old and done.

I also hope they spin the satire in another way and don't go the social media parody angle. It's been done so many times.

This. All this. The only thing that would do is make the film feel really dated. Maybe if it had come out a year ago it would seem fresh, but by the time it hits theaters it will just feel lazy as it has already been done to death. I prefer they go for a 'timeless feel' as opposed to 'instantly dated'.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Archive :
Having a parody trump character seems too obvious i think. Every comedian and every show on TV has made fun of trump in one way or another and assuming "RoboCop Returns" is released in 2020 the whole thing is just gonna feel extremely old and done.

I also hope they spin the satire in another way and don't go the social media parody angle. It's been done so many times.

This. All this. The only thing that would do is make the film feel really dated. Maybe if it had come out a year ago it would seem fresh, but by the time it hits theaters it will just feel lazy as it has already been done to death. I prefer they go for a 'timeless feel' as opposed to 'instantly dated'.

It depends on how they approach it. Yes, it wouldn't work if they had a central character doing a straight-up Trump impression, but Bixby Snyder has never been that and was only a background persona in The Corporate Wars script that added texture, much like how he was in the original film.

RoboCop was as much about the 1980s; it reflected, but also extrapolated the era into future. It hasn't dated because very little, sadly, has changed.

RB 306

Victorboris1
O-L4

O-L4

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Archive :

I agree, the Trump parody has been done to death.

RB 36

OcpCommunications
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: "The only choice."

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote

I just finished reading this for the first time and I came away from it thinking it just was not that efficient or that great of a script as a whole. The introduction with blasting RoboCop to pieces and leaving him for dead for 25 years is ballsy but it is not something I personally would have wanted from a sequel. It gives me PTSD flashbacks to the beginning of Alien 3 and I absolutely hate that movie. Plus it seems like he was blown up far too easily.

Also, the script has no mention at all of Lewis or Reed. Which are two characters that fans wanted to see more of. Some of the satire here is fun, the social commentary about the middle class living in shopping malls and the lower class living on the outskirts of society was intriguing. I didn't feel the political aspect of the script clicked that well though. Especially Flicker.

And worst of all, RoboCop here is transformed into a Judge Dredd knock off complete with repprogramming that makes him even read perps their rights the exact same way as Dredd does in the comics. I know Ed and Michael were huge fans of Dredd but that doesn't mean RoboCop needs to literally be Judge Dredd. The dialogue as a whole was quite weak throughout as well. And I didn't get the whole RoboCop falling in love with a brain thing. That just did not work at all.

It just lacked far too much for me. It lacked the emotional impact, the story was not particularly engaging, and RoboCop is barely in the story and does not seem to do a whole lot either. A mish-mash of interesting ideas but nothing coherent enough for a feature film. And even with a rewrite, I still think it has too many crippling problems that it would simply not have worked. It was too strange and if it was to be brought to the screen it would have had to essentially be re-written from scratch.

RB 64

NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Re-read this the other day after a conversation with friends.

Although I acknowledge it's a first draft, I can't deny that this script is utter shite. In a way it feels like it was written by people who had seen the first film, but didn't understand why it worked. The gritty "five minutes into the future" feel is tossed aside for a third rate Blade Runner/Judge Dredd/American Flagg pastiche. It makes me understand that one can create a successful character while also having the wrong idea as to why people love the character.

The political intrigue is nice and elaborate, but doesn't really go anywhere for me, unlike the original which drove the story as much as Robo's character arc. And the ending is a bad parody of the original's misleadingly "happy" ending.

Could Verhoeven have salvaged this? Maybe, but it would have needed extensive rewriting.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote

thanks for bumping this post, I had no idea the draft was released, I definitely need to take a peek at it..

Being completely biased here but I still Think my fanfic Idea would be terribly fun Very Happy

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote

The memory I have from reading the screenplay back in the day is one of a big mess.

It just felt a sequel that did not want to be Robocop anymore, the main character was an excuse to take us to a new universe or franchise, as mentioned above something more Blade Runner / Judge Dredd / American Flagg, way more high sci-fi and dystopian, and with more convoluted neo-noir political intrigues.

It makes me think that once the writers assumed they would have less budget constraints they could think much bigger, they felt they needed to innovate and do something different, which of course is a brave thing to do, but in the process they threw away some simplicity and directness of the original that worked so well. Many times constraints and limitations increase creativity, but the creator tends to be greedy of bigger budgets and more freedom, forgetting that a lower budget can actually give you more freedom and force you to innovate in some cases.

Even if Orion are usually the bad guys in the history of Robo sequels, and knowing that they were just too impatient and wanted to rush the sequels to squeeze every golden egg from the goose, I still would have reacted similarly when presented with the Corporate Wars script.

For years when I kept hearing of a unproduced screenplay titled Corporate Wars I pictured in my mind something like the first Marvel comic issues, where another OCP-like competitor launches their own Robo model.

So yes, I was disappointed when reading the CW screenplay but with time I guess I realized we didn’t miss something great. All in all, I’m happy with what we got with R2 and the Marvel comic books.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard