New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Verhoeven Interview - Comments on Robo Remake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Joblo.com has a new interview with Paul Verhoeven and all tough it focuses mostly on his new movie "Black Book" there is also a short comment about the RoboCop Remake that's been rumored for so long.

Of course he tells us nothing about the remake that we already not know.

## QUESTION - What is the status on the two projects – Azazel and the RoboCop remake?

VERHOEVEN: - I don't know anything about the RoboCop remake. It's been discussed many times, but no script as far as I know is there. You know, I'm not a big fan of sequels. Up until now, I've been able to avoid them all. It was not easy with Basic Instinct 2. Total Recall became the Minority Report, didn't it? The sequel of Total Recall was based on the same story so Total Recall 2 was called Minority Report.

## QUESTION - Are you interested in staying away from Hollywood or are you looking forward to coming back to Hollywood?

VERHOEVEN - No. I'm living in Hollywood . I'm living in Los Angeles , and I'm not leaving. I was looking forward to doing this movie as a sabbatical and perhaps I will do another European movie. In the meantime, I would love to go back to American filmmaking, which I have enjoyed very much too. But I think it was time for me to do something different, you know. I felt the need to do something different after Hollow MAN, which I felt, really was a movie that many directors could have done. I feel very differently about Starship Troopers or ROBOCOP. I say I could have done that but not so many other people could have, so I felt that I should go back to something personal. And if I do an American movie, I would like to do something that is not derivative or is not…something that ONLY I could do well, if I can find it.

------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE: joblo.com/interview-paul-verhoeven

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Kamen Rider
L-L4

L-L4

Comment: Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule everything

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote

To hear that Minority Report was gonna be Total Recall 2, makes me think how the movie would have turned out if it actually was TR 2, and had Arnie in it.

RB 1522

ironman robocop-figure3
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote

Glad there isnt a Robo sequel in the works...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
murphy38
OCP1 - L2

OCP1 - L2

Archive Traitor

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote

mr green thanks for info Archive,
I am happy step of remake prevu in the future for robo haaaaaaa! because I have or to be disappointed!!
total recall 2, really? :roll:
damn i'm interest!

RB 2354

tiny-cop robocop-head alex-murphy RoboBadge baby-food award
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, imagine if Verhoeven directed Minority Report...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote

I had no idea that Minority Report - one of my favourite movies EVER - was actually TR2...!!! Jee, that sucks tongue hehe

Well, it's understandable that Paul doesn't wanna get around another Robo flick...he just doesn't like sequels at all, so I think we can basically forget about Verhoeven directing another Robo-movie...

...maybe with this Transformers movie comin'out, some minds change and a new Robo-movie gets on the making!

Wink

Íå âûáðàíà
RB 0

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Oh Boy.......No to a Robo remake,Yes to a new Robo movie...The remake if it happens will bite mark my words..Why should we get all built up and excited to only end up getting let down.It always works that way with Robo.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
The real thing
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: RoboCop goes blu (-ray)

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote

Well the talk of Minority Report being Total Recall 2 was on the Total Recall dvd years ago.

RB 163

Kevlar Antelope
Crime Prevention Unit

Sgt-L5

Comment: Kuwabara, Kuwabara...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote

There should never ever be a remake of RoboCop, it is more than just a cult classic now. It could never be topped. Perhaps they should remake Robo 3 instead....

RB 1453

TMNT LaraCroft James Bond
SithLrd0498
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote

I can't figure out how the screenplay for Minority Report could have EVER been Total Recall 2. Pre-Crime Unit, pre-cogs, cryo-prison...none of that even seems like it's in the same vein as TR. Confused

I'm not really surprised to hear about Verhoeven's indifference to the possibility of a remake since he doesn't seem to hold the sequels in high regard...let alone a remake.

Personally, I think a remake should be avoided. A sequel would be nice, but one that ignores Parts 2 and 3 and is actually a worthy successor. Go back to the multi-layered philosophical and societal themes of the first film and put those at the core of a sequel. Granted, Weller is too old to reclaim the role, but I doubt he'd be interested anyway. But I'm sure there's an unknown out there who could do justice to the role (e.g. - Brandon Routh taking on the role of Superman).

RB 204

starwars-emperor starwars-darthvader southpark-cartman transformers-icon2
David
R-L5

R-L5

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote

The thing is, they tried exactly just that with PD....

RB 443

SithLrd0498
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote

David :
The thing is, they tried exactly just that with PD....

But even that was more on the level of Robocop 3, so it was a missed opportunity. Plus, you could easily tell it was Direct-to-Video. It sorely lacked a polished, theatrical release look/tone.

RB 204

starwars-emperor starwars-darthvader southpark-cartman transformers-icon2
Dangerous
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote

Anyway I'm glad that this remake bs is over with now.
Remaking films is almost always a bad idea, especially if were talking about a masterpiece such as Robocop.
I'd love if Robocop finally got a decent sequel someday. Who knows..

RB 342

Dangerous
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote

SithLrd0498 :

Personally, I think a remake should be avoided. A sequel would be nice, but one that ignores Parts 2 and 3 and is actually a worthy successor. Go back to the multi-layered philosophical and societal themes of the first film and put those at the core of a sequel. Granted, Weller is too old to reclaim the role, but I doubt he'd be interested anyway. But I'm sure there's an unknown out there who could do justice to the role (e.g. - Brandon Routh taking on the role of Superman).

As misguided as Robo2 was, and as crap as Robo 3 was, I would not want a new film to ignore the 2nd and 3rd films. I hate it when they do that. Instead set the film during Delta City’s construction. Maybe it could be an end to the story were eventually human will wins out- and Delta City is ultimately destroyed before it can be completed.

RB 342

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard