New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Ultra Police: Vandal-1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote

As many of you know, Kenner developed a vehicle for the Vandals in the second series of Ultra Police toys. The line was cancelled before it was put into full production however there was a prototype created and displayed in Kenner's catalog.

The mold was re-tooled in 1991 for use in their Terminator 2 line as the Mobile Assault Vehicle.

I have recently acquired the Mobile Assault Vehicle and I am going to convert it into the Vandal-1. Not only will it need to be repainted, but the windshield and missile launcher will need to be fabricated (the missile launcher was changed for the Terminator version and the windshield was omitted). I am creating 3d models of them to be 3d printed. Luckily I have plenty of reference shots to work from so this should be pretty fun.

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
gez1967
drop it . dead or alive your coming with me

L-L3

Comment: looking for me

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Hook me up for one

RB 1158

robocop3-gunarm ultra1 dc-superman VoorHees-Mask ultra5 remake1 transformers-icon1 batman-Batmobile
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Wowsers, good luck, can't wait to see progress...

RB 4892

Ed-260
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote

I remember seeing the whole Ultra Police line in an old toy magazine I found when I was a kid. It had Robocop and Terminator on the cover so I held onto it for years. I always thought the Vandal looked cool and was hoping to see one pop up some day. I did not realize at the time that like half of the toys shown never came out. I'm looking forward to seeing your recreation. I think the biggest challenge is going to be the windshield. If you nail that and get the paint-job right this will a badass vehicle.

Also, a bit off topic but this has me thinking that the Ultra Police mythos is a totally untapped area of Robocop. Since there was never a cartoon or anything, the characters are ripe for a fresh interpretation. We don't know much other than Dr. Macnamara was one of the villains, as he has been since operating the ED-209 in the first film but moreso his role in the Marvel Cartoon. The Vandals are similar to the splatterpunks, but I would still love to see a fresh take on the Ultra Police vs Vandals, perhaps in some retro style Robocop comic book. One can dream.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboWags

L-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
this has me thinking that the Ultra Police mythos is a totally untapped area of Robocop. Since there was never a cartoon or anything, the characters are ripe for a fresh interpretation. We don't know much other than Dr. Macnamara was one of the villains, as he has been since operating the ED-209 in the first film but moreso his role in the Marvel Cartoon. The Vandals are similar to the splatterpunks, but I would still love to see a fresh take on the Ultra Police vs Vandals, perhaps in some retro style Robocop comic book. One can dream.

I agree with you on this. However, I should point out that the Ultra Police were featured in the final episode of the Marvel animated series

RB 2728

Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote

RoboWags :
I agree with you on this. However, I should point out that the Ultra Police were featured in the final episode of the Marvel animated series

Not to hijack this thread but did they ever release the animated series on DVD in the U.S.?

RB 684

RoboBadge
RoboWags

L-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Nope. Stay tuned though - I have a special treat for you all along those lines this spring... Wink

RB 2728

Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote

I didn't think so. But they did release it in the UK, no?

RB 684

RoboBadge
RoboWags

L-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 am Reply with quote

Yes they did.

RB 2728

Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote

Was there apparent massive success for the cartoon in the UK, compared to the US? Or is there some other reason why a UK release was deemed necessary compared to the US?

Either way, I look forward to your spring treat. Wink

RB 684

RoboBadge
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote

The rights for the cartoon were sold off along with a bunch of other Fox Kids properties when that switched over to Jetix (before its eventual demise). At that point, a LOT of 80s and 90s cartoons started seeing DVD and VHS releases in the UK - some as volumes, others, like "Dino Riders", as box-sets. The Robo cartoon started out as separate volumes and showed up on a compilation disc or two, but eventually they did a 3-disc box-set with all 12 episodes. It was actually the first thing I ever bought on eBay Very Happy

As far as I know, Alpha Commando is, to this day, the only Robo-related show/movie that hasn't had an official "Complete" release.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
DontSwingArms
Clearly not important

R-L5

Comment: "Approved and wanted by no one ever"~Peter Weller on the subject of my existence

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it, always really liked how Kenner still used the vehicle and I've waited for someone to re purpose the MAV as the Vandal-1 so I cant wait to see the final product of this.

RB 132

RoboWags

L-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Coming along on this still. I plan to do some painting and disassembly of the Mobile Assault Vehicle in preparation for its conversion to Vandal-1. I have 3d files for the windshield and am now working to make the missile launcher. I'll have pics coming next week.

RB 2728

RoboWags

L-L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote

OK so after a slight delay I have finally come around to starting this. Disassembled the car and cleaned up for painting.

Removed the stickers to be scanned and color corrected. I'm also making the other stickers that are on the prototype such as the Vandals logo and license plate.

A nice coat of black to cover the unwanted details:

Not sure what to do about the wheels... The original concept called for silver hubs but the final prototype left them black. I kind of like the duel tone that the Terminator version ended up with. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

The area in the front where the endo skull ornament is was just a ribbed piece under the shell in the prototype. I'm using a ribbed plastic drawer liner which will be painted purple and glued to the underside of the opening to match the prototype.

I am 3d printing the custom windshield and the duel rocket launcher. More to come!

RB 2728

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard