New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Hot Toys Robocop full repaint
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Hey everyone

New member here, all the way from France Smile

I just wanted to share with you my work on the Hot Toys figure. I'm a full-time painter and while the vast majority of my projects are resin statues, it's always a blast to work on this amazing figure.
As you may know the factory paintjob really isn't accurate. It's often referred to as "Chromocop" given how bright and reflective they made him.

I've done a lot of Robocop repaints ever since the HT came out but they were partial repaints. Meaning I would paint over the factory paintjob using transparent colors.

In this case I've disassembled the figure and repainted the whole thing. Like a model kit basically. Only the mouth parts are still stock.

It was a lot of hard work but I'm really happy with it. Robocop is my all-time favorite so I've been wanting to do him justice for a long time.

Hope you like it!

RB 149

POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote

Oh my God, dude! I've seen all the pics and videos you posted of this on the Facebook page but the 4th pic down...that's absolute perfection. And that's coming from a self-proclaimed RoboCop perfectionist, especially when it comes to the first movie. I wish I could afford a DarkSpidey repaint. I'd almost give you my PCS statue if it would get me any closer😆
Well done!

Brad T

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Nice work. I have personally always preffered a bluer Robocop, but there is no question that this is far more accurate to Robocop's original appearance. The Hot Toys figure with your paintjob in those pics really does look like a screencap from Robocop!

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote

This dude's work is perfection. I got the robo 2 hot toys and figma repaint from him.
Might have to get another one now Very Happy

I can't remember how much it was, but I thought it was well worth it.

RB 787

game-xbox
Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote

POCOBOR :
Oh my God, dude! I've seen all the pics and videos you posted of this on the Facebook page but the 4th pic down...that's absolute perfection. And that's coming from a self-proclaimed RoboCop perfectionist, especially when it comes to the first movie. I wish I could afford a DarkSpidey repaint. I'd almost give you my PCS statue if it would get me any closer😆
Well done!

Brad T

Thanks, Brad!!

Haha do it!

RB 149

Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Nice work. I have personally always preffered a bluer Robocop, but there is no question that this is far more accurate to Robocop's original appearance. The Hot Toys figure with your paintjob in those pics really does look like a screencap from Robocop!

Thanks!!

Yeah I hear you. I did make him less blue on purpose as my client and I agreed on more of a gunmetal look for him.

Cool thing is I got a few more lined up so I'll be able to experiment with different tones so that they're all unique in a way Smile

RB 149

Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Fummelcop :
This dude's work is perfection. I got the robo 2 hot toys and figma repaint from him.
Might have to get another one now Very Happy

I can't remember how much it was, but I thought it was well worth it.

Much appreciated, man! Please snap a few pics when you have a moment.
I love seeing the repaints I've done in my clients' collections

RB 149

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote

I think Pimp has a point about being a bit more blue and would love to see that - That said, I still agree with Brad and the others.. this here is absolutely spot-on and wonderful work. It just screams perfect R1 industrial badass beauty. Well done! Very Happy

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote

I don't know. This doesn't really look like R1 paint scheme to me. In fact, it screams R3 in my opinion. The gray has always been more obvious to me in that one, whereas in R1 you can still see some blue and at times, even greenish reflections.
But don't get me wrong, it's still and absolutely beautiful paint job on a beautiful figure!
PT for you, sir!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
I don't know. This doesn't really look like R1 paint scheme to me. In fact, it screams R3 in my opinion. The gray has always been more obvious to me in that one, whereas in R1 you can still see some blue and at times, even greenish reflections.
But don't get me wrong, it's still and absolutely beautiful paint job on a beautiful figure!
PT for you, sir!

I disagree, R3 looks consistently more bluish to me than R1, but obviously much less than R2.

About R1, I think maybe we should accept his color is not really consistent across the whole movie, depending on the scene/lightning he might look more silver-grey or having more bluish reflections (or even slightly purple in some areas).

Accepting the difficulty, I think the author of this post did an amazing job, looks really gorgeous, with another background it could make for a great poster or DVD cover Smile

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
About R1, I think maybe we should accept his color is not really consistent across the whole movie, depending on the scene/lightning he might look more silver-grey or having more bluish (or even slightly purple in some areas) reflections.

Y'know I didn't wanna say anything earlier but I'm glad I'm not alone about Robo having a bit of a purple look to the armor in R1, though indeed only in some shots. That said, I see a scant hint of it myself in the shots here so again I think it's spot on.. that last one especially is perfect as it seems to have a scant hint of blue as well almost but not quite as much as in R3.. perhaps its just that particular distance and angle and lighting.. or something. Whatever it is I'm with Poco, that one is perfect.

In any event, we all certainly agree it looks f'n fantastic.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote

Thanks, guys

Metallics are always very hard to photograph. The best part being that Robo looks drastically different depending on the lighting environment.
So in my living room most of the purple hues are picked up whereas in the studio the blues show a lot more.
Outside the hues tend to get a little washed out and he appears more like a dark stainless.

I love experimenting with Robocop paint schemes. As far as I'm concerned I feel that there are many ways to get the look of the first film right. Especially seeing as how different the OG paintjob was from scene to scene (not just the light, the actual paintjob).

RB 149

Dark_Spidey
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote

RB 149

Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote

So you painted the rubber parts too?

RB 787

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard