New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New Boom! RoboCop comics coming in April
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Well, that is promising at least.

I´ll be cautious with that; I guess there will be "trouble" when you dedicate a issue to retired cops and an app. But I wish they´ll go wild; this one is far away from what we know about Robo.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote

I like the idea behind it so far, as well as the artwork.

But was I the only one annoyed at the image of Robo wearing jeans and a hoodie? I know there's an element of social awkwardness to the character but it just put me in mind of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9rcQrEb6c

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote

NOF :
But was I the only one annoyed at the image of Robo wearing jeans and a hoodie?

ChAnOoD :
PS: If you laughed (or cringed) with Murphy dressed as Obi-Wan in PD, you´ll get another scene similar to that on this title.

Looks stupid. But maybe it has a purpouse, and not just made for laughs.

Nah, it was just made for "laughs".

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
NOF :
But was I the only one annoyed at the image of Robo wearing jeans and a hoodie?

ChAnOoD :
PS: If you laughed (or cringed) with Murphy dressed as Obi-Wan in PD, you´ll get another scene similar to that on this title.

Looks stupid. But maybe it has a purpouse, and not just made for laughs.

Nah, it was just made for "laughs".

Whoops. Didn't notice your comment. Sorry.

To be honest, the scene in PD didn't bother me for some reason. Yeah, it was fairly silly but it kinda made sense. Here, it just seems to be for a laugh.

And the implication that he's an alcoholic as well....stupid.

RB 534

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote

NOF :
Whoops. Didn't notice your comment. Sorry.

No need to apologize!!

NOF :
To be honest, the scene in PD didn't bother me for some reason. Yeah, it was fairly silly but it kinda made sense. Here, it just seems to be for a laugh.

And the implication that he's an alcoholic as well....stupid.

We´ll see how the series turns. I´m not a big fan of hyper-realistic art on comics, and I usually dig the cartoon ones, but this choice looks... strange (but I prefer it to the purple-ish covers). Also, it bothers me that they didn´t include the bullet hole on Murphy´s head. This is a slow introduction based issue. I hope they´ll introduce new interesting stuff on the next issues.

RB 11786

NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Not dying about the new issue. Murphy is pretty much reduced to an awkward looking pussy with no insight into his character.

And that fucking hoodie and jeans combo. ENOUGH.

RB 534

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote

NOF :
Not dying about the new issue. Murphy is pretty much reduced to an awkward looking pussy with no insight into his character.

Issue #2 came home yesterday. Still boring and Robo doesn´t do anything. Also, they included some fan service that doesn´t fit to me. I had fun with the "Damn paramedics" line, but after two seconds it felt like a cheap move to please fans. Also, Murphy talks very different from the established character. At some point he says something like "Darling" or "Honey" to a small kid, along with long, long sentences.

How many issues are left? I remember this is a miniseries, yet the plot didn´t move. They had two issues to put RoboCop in a few pannels, while they could make the whole "reprogrammed" plot more interesting instead of filling pages with other stuff.

NOF :
And that fucking hoodie and jeans combo. ENOUGH.

Yep. They could do it without giving him clothes. Also, two issues with the bullet hole on Murphy´s head. I know the artwork it´s cartoonish, but it´s a "signature" of the character.

RB 11786

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
At some point he says something like "Darling" or "Honey" to a small kid, along with long, long sentences.

That, to me, is actually a good sign. This series description contains this quote: "It's been decades since the RoboCop program first began." I certainly would not want or expect Robocop to speak the same way as he does in the first movie forever. His lines at the end of the first and second movie indicated how much he had grown, and were powerful closing moments where Murphy's humanity shines through. Don't we want this to grow, then? It is not hard to believe that Robocop's programming would be updated regularly. Ideally, knowing what we know about technology today, Robocop's "operating system" could be tweaked and updated by a team regularly. Of course, we rarely see stories about a Robocop that is well supported financially or morally by OCP or Detroit as a whole. But imagine.

Robocop stories have had the unfortunate drawback of constantly returning to the roots. By ignoring the progress that Murhpy has experienced thus far to return to a setting closer to the original film we have had a pretty consistent Robocop voice, one that rarely had time to grow. But imagine a world where Robocop is successful, say an ongoing TV series with multiple seasons. We want more Murphy to come out as the series goes, do we not? Those moments like at the end of the first couple movies did not have to be the end, if not the beginning. Have you never imagined a fully 'healed' Murphy, who is essentially the same man, the same soul in a robotic body? I don't know if it is even theoretically possible, but I don't see any reason Robo would remains as, well, robotic as he does in the first few years after decades.

I don't know if this series is the place to address these themes, and it does not look like they are doing a good job. But it just made me think, do we always want Robocop to remain as cold, emotionless, and straightforward in his dialogue? Objectively, it makes for a more boring character. In my crazy, personal fan theory, after decades Robocop's actual human organs will have all but deteriorated, leaving none of the actual Murphy, but by then his program will have taken over, thus he acts and feels more like Murphy than he did when Murphy's brain was running the show. That's a discussion for another day, but all I'm saying is, shouldn't Robo eventually have something more interesting to say than "stay out of trouble" or "thank you for your cooperation"?

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
But it just made me think, do we always want Robocop to remain as cold, emotionless, and straightforward in his dialogue

Well, I can see him talk more with people he knows, not to every stranger. And Murphy in his human form wasn´t a guy with lots of monologues anyway tongue

RoboPimp :
Shouldn't Robo eventually have something more interesting to say than "stay out of trouble" or "thank you for your cooperation"?

He says "Your move, creep" in the most boring way possible. The main problem is a combination of dialogue + story.

RB 11786

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
But it just made me think, do we always want Robocop to remain as cold, emotionless, and straightforward in his dialogue

Personally i don't see why we would want a RoboCop that talks freely and acts perfectly human. He would be like in the 2014 reboot.

Much like Spock or Teal'c i feel Robo needs to have a certain tone to still BE the RoboCop character. I wouldn't like Robo to retain the same cocky Alex Murphy attitude as before getting killed.

As for the new comic. I've read the first two issues and i think this is the most un-interested i have ever been in a RoboCop comic. I'll continue to pick up the next issues, but man, this stuff is lame. Robo living in a house wearing clothes. urghhh.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote

Archive :
Much like Spock or Teal'c i feel Robo needs to have a certain tone

Not to dig too much into this on the wrong topic page, but there is definitely a huge change in Spock's tone and voice over the Star Trek saga. He starts as a wannabe Vulcan who hides his humanity. By the movies he is like 50/50, and in the new JJ Abrams movie, his last appearance, he laughs and smiles and cracks jokes. That being the original Spock played by Leonard Nimoy, not the rebooted younger version. Of course, by then the character had been through a lot, including dying and being reborn and thrust into an alternate past where his home planet was destroyed.

Then consider briefly Batman. His character has certain principles that seem set in stone. Like, for example, Batman NEVER uses a gun and NEVER kills. But in the first few years of Batman comics, he would shoot villains with guns and crack a quip about how they paid the price for the choices they made. Yikes. And now, just as with Spock, he has done nearly a complete 180. After being reborn in the comics a year or so ago, the new Bruce Wayne has a much lighter tone, joking around and smiling.

Both of those characters had much longer arcs in which for their characters to grow. As previously stated, I think one thing that has hampered the growth of Robocop as a character is the constant stopping and restarting and returning to his roots. But, does that mean that Robocop should never smile or crack a joke? I don't think so, and personally would love to watch Robocop grow to that point.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Does that mean that Robocop should never smile or crack a joke? I don't think so, and personally would love to watch Robocop grow to that point.

I only hope they put off his sweatshirt in issue #3.

RB 11786

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote

I think this is a really interesting topic and it seems to be very individual how much fans think Robo should change and evolve. I guess we have very different idea of what the Robo is and should be.

Personally I'm not overly interested in characters changing TOO much from the original version. I can for example understand Harrison fords need to evolve his Indiana Jones character but him being married with a kid isn't the the Indy character for me. In the same way it can get tragic if characters never change, such as Han Solo in the force awakens.

I think it's all perfect with Wellers Robo as he had a perfect grasp on what he would say. With Robo3 and everything after the length and wordings of his lines is just off somehow.

The new comic series is a perfect example of how wrong it can get. Robo being retired from the police force, living in a house and wearing clothes. It's not good.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote

Archive :
Personally I'm not overly interested in characters changing TOO much from the original version. I can for example understand Harrison fords need to evolve his Indiana Jones character but him being married with a kid isn't the the Indy character for me. In the same way it can get tragic if characters never change, such as Han Solo in the force awakens.

I think it's all perfect with Wellers Robo as he had a perfect grasp on what he would say. With Robo3 and everything after the length and wordings of his lines is just off somehow.

The new comic series is a perfect example of how wrong it can get. Robo being retired from the police force, living in a house and wearing clothes. It's not good.

I'm with this. I just don't see Robo 'evolving' too much in this respect. Hell Murphy didn't seem all that dynamic a persona in the first place, and now being mostly machine I don't see a hell of a lot of personality change to him going forward. If anything I'd say a regression, a devolution seems more likely.

I'll grant I wouldn't mind seeing some bits, something more subtle - I remember the 'Military Aid' (is that right?) fanfic Sean wrote that had a part where he was in conversation with Lazerus and he used a contraction which she remarked was something he hadn't done before. So stuff like that. There can be some changes but in the end it still needs to be Murphy. Him being 'domesticated' and shit ala Bicentennial Man, nah, doesn't work. I can't see Robo wearing clothing and using phrases like 'Honey', just can't. It's too much. It just plain sounds fuckin' goofy, which is how he sounds in this comic. And of anything to describe RoboCop, 'goofy' isn't one of those things. Bits like in R2 to follow a (ridiculous) narrative point are one thing, but a full on change to him sounding like he's the old dad in a sitcom, absurd.

Which again, is what he sounds like in this comic. Bah.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard