New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New movie - RoboCop Returns - Directed by Neill Blomkamp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote

MGM has set District 9 director Neill Blomkamp to helm "RoboCop Returns". The studio hopes to revive a franchise that began with the Paul Verhoeven-directed satirical sci-fi action thriller that Orion released in 1987. Original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing and exec producing, respectively. Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator film that Tim Miller is shooting, will rewrite the script that Neumeier and Miner wrote years ago as a planned sequel to Verhoeven’s hit, an installment that never happened. That duo is creatively involved in moving forward their creation for the first time since the original.

The brief story synopsis is as follows: “Anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption."

SOURCE:
https://deadline.com/2018/07/robocop-neill-blomkamp-directing-robocop-returns-justin-rhodes-ed-neumeier-michael-miner-mgm-1202424639/

*** Post edited for News forum

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Excited but hesitant! arghhh!

RB 3527

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Woah! Shocked
I wasn't expecting to hear any new Robo news for a quite a while so this is a VERY pleasant surprise. The choice of director seems spot on. Love District 9, isn't a huge fan of either Elysium or Chappy but he's obviously good at his work.

RoboCop Returns :
“Anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption.”

That brief story synopsis isn't much to go on. I wonder if they will do a time skip like in the original sequel script or if it's still "a near future".

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote

District 9 was great, Elysium was meh, and never saw Chappie because I heard so many bad things about it. Part of me thinks this is a great fit, and the other part of me is really worried...

Also, this guy rewriting the Corporate Wars script.... I don't know anything he's done. I have little faith in the ongoing Terminator series and he supposedly wrote the forthcoming sequel..... I don't know, I'm just torn.

But in the end, it can't be worse than what we've already gotten. Having Neumier and Miner involved does give me hope though.

RB 3527

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote

And here...we...go!

This is exciting, I'm not gonna lie. Blomkamp seems to be a great choice for directing and I'm excited to hear that they are moving forward with this.

I highly doubt we'll see Weller or heck, even Burke, back, but one can dream right?

Let the speculations begin Very Happy

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote

What do you guys think of the title.... RoboCop Returns

Can't tell if I like it... seems a little too on the nose... totally sounds like a superhero movie title a la Batman Returns, and RoboCop is not a superhero. He's a violent, tragic character.

RB 3527

Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
What do you guys think of the title.... RoboCop Returns

I like the title, but i admit it doesn't really fit with RoboCop. It also kind of been done a lot in movie titles with Batman returns, Superman returns, mummy returns and more recent Mary Poppins returns. But it could have been a lot worse with something like RoboCop: Dark Resurgence!!!!!

But RETURNS works and is accurate in a lot of ways. The TRUE RoboCop will (potentially) finally return. Hopefully they don't mess this up and choose to go with a suit that is closer to the classic suit.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Agreed. I'm hoping that Blomkamp really is a as big of a fan as the originally as he says he is, thus preserving all the things that make Robo truly special, and have been lacking in the sequels and the remake... Having Neumeir and Miner involved give me hope that they'll steer him in the right direction.

RB 3527

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
But RETURNS works and is accurate in a lot of ways. The TRUE RoboCop will (potentially) finally return. Hopefully they don't mess this up and choose to go with a suit that is closer to the classic suit.

Yep, sounds cheesy, but it fits in the context. Also, it´s amazing to see how in different media people are reacting to this. Robo is still beloved, after all.

Heck, even people who worked in the films wanted to return as well! tongue Randy Moore wanted to go back again.

I only hope the studio will give them some freedom to make their vision possible, so we wouldn´t see again a PG-13 black graphene Robo and get the original one or, in case they need to redesign it to sell toys, make it more agile, but with the same key details of the original (that includes the legs, hear me, RebootCop?)

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
Also, this guy rewriting the Corporate Wars script.... I don't know anything he's done. I have little faith in the ongoing Terminator series and he supposedly wrote the forthcoming sequel..... I don't know, I'm just torn.

The Terminator that is currently in production has nothing to do with the last 3 movies, and is basically what they are doing here with Robocop. The Terminator rights reverted back to James Cameron, who is exec. producing this installment which is a direct sequel to Terminator 2 (ignoring T3, Salvation, and Genisys).

I'm now racking my brain trying to think of who would be a good fit for the part. I know Weller probably has no desire to suit back up, plus he's up in age... but I wonder if he would be OK with doing a voice over to maintain continuity in the sound of his voice.

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote

This being a REAL sequel i fully expect every aspect of Robo to return, Cyber spike, legholster, auto-9 and everything.

The remake dropped the ball on so many things that make Robo who he is.

I just hope that they don't even entertain the idea of bringing Weller back as RoboCop. Sure it would be cool, but they need to think about future movies. This shouldn't be the end but the beginning of more Robo movies.

RB 348130

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
This being a REAL sequel i fully expect every aspect of Robo to return, Cyber spike, legholster, auto-9 and everything.

The remake dropped the ball on so many things that make Robo who he is.

I agree. But I´m not an studio executive tongue

RB 11786

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Well this is certainly unexpected news, and also fucking fantastic news!

I have high hopes for Neil doing the story justice, I'm already a fan of his work and knowing he loves the character too gives me good vibes that he will give us the correct tone required and also either the proper suit or a welcome, sensible enhancement/variation to it that we have been crying out for and certainly did not get with RoboCop 2014.

One point though, Joel Kinnaman said he had signed on for multiple films (likely a standard contractual necessity these days) but what if he comes back for this film, either because its in his contract or Neil decides he is worth another shot. How would we feel about him returning? I think the idea of Peter returning in any shape of form is a massive pipe dream. He won't want anything to do with it, even if it is a cameo as someone else or the likes. I enjoyed Robert Burke in the role but he was a bit cartoony/campy. Someone new must be found but who could actually do the role justice?

RB 18145

Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote

It seems like MGM learned from the reboot that people want to see more of the original and less of a new direction.

Everything from having Neumeir and Miner producing, to using their original script idea for a sequel, to calling it a direct sequel to the original gives me hope that they'll give us something closer to what we all really want.

Please just do better than the multiple comic books that have tried to do the same thing.... forgetting all the sequels and picking up where Verhoeven left off.

RB 3527

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard