New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Arrow Films to release RoboCop in 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

alyd
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Happily though the cover and poster are reversible;

And the steelbook is the original art (no posters and cards though);

RB 151

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
RoboFan_93 :

RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)

Aside from Birke having worked with Verhoeven on "Elle" and "The Prodigy" coming from the revived Orion studio, I don't see the relevance or significance of him and McCarthy being filmed for a chat between themselves and Ed.

I rather like these 'round table' talks and think it's better to have a person or two who isn't very intimate with the whole thing as part of the discussion.

Quote:
RoboFan_93 :

RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia

Is this guy on here? Anyone seen these?

He runs RoboCop Fans Around The World, pretty much the biggest Robo group on Facebook. That said, yes he was/is on RA as 'Alex J Murphy', though it seems he only posted and hung around for a while and left, probably signed up and set up things on FB and never looked back, lolz. That said yes he's posted a lot of pics of his collection on FB. Though to see a video of it proper sounds pretty cool to me. Personally I'd have done a compilation with a few folks to showcase a lot of varied stuff, but that's me.

Quote:
RoboFan_93 :

Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Mix and Final Theatrical Mix) in lossless stereo

Probably quite trivial and bland with the long gaps in-between Basil's cues, but nonetheless intriguing to hear. Wonder how different the initial dub will be in comparison to the locked, printed one.

I personally really like isolated score tracks - Of which quite a few though not enough flicks do for home releases. And yes the mixes in the film often are different from soundtrack/score releases -if only slightly. I am quite intrigued that we got the original mix along with the Theatrical here, this is pretty cool.

Otherwise I agree with some others about the cover art. Don't get me wrong it's not bad, I like it plenty, but even for someone who isn't a sticker for details it's pretty blatantly a stylized action-figure pose, something we've seen too much in covers over the years. Why they simply can't use a iconic Weller-pose (and there are several) as part of some cover art continues to baffle me. That said again, it ain't bad, and you can reverse the cover with the original poster art so there's that.

In any event features are where a home release is at and this one seems to be chock full of mostly neat and interesting stuff. Yes its R1 again but also seems like it'll be worth buying again as well.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :

RoboFan_93 :

RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia

Is this guy on here? Anyone seen these?

Julien Dumont is perhaps most known here on the board as the director of the never completed "Robo VS Predator" fan movie.
He worked with former super fan Murphy38 back then so I'm assuming some or most of his collection comes from her. He also provided some 35mm Robo reels to the Robodoc guys.

I believe this is/was his profile, but most posts are related to the fan film.
http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=533

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
alyd
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote

I was gonna mention this before, but didn't think it warranted a thread (apologies to Arrow, it's not their product, but while we're on the topic of packaging) there are some nice German mediabook Blu-rays available*, if anyone collects RoboPackaging;

* https://shop.dtm.at/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=robocop&x=0&y=0

RB 151

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote

Archive :
Julien Dumont is perhaps most known here on the board as the director of the never completed "Robo VS Predator" fan movie.

I believe this is/was his profile, but most posts are related to the fan film.
http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=533

Oh yeah, forgot it was the same fellow. I knew the name was well familiar in RA's past somehow, so partial credit I guess. tongue. I suppose the other account is due to a lost password or something. Anyway yeah he ain't just some FB nobody superfan. thumb1

That being said that might not be a bad idea for a thread, talking about cover art for the various Robo home video releases. I'm sure we had one in the past but well, that was the past. Anyway, some good images, though of course the top ones for each are re-uses of official release posters so makes sense. The other art looks ok, though it seems too similar between the lot. Some different colors/tones would be nice, especially for R2 to better show the blue suit and all. But anyway, that's something else.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
I donīt mind them having references to do their work, and I think is kinda nice to have the classic "poses" from the characters (in the background) there. The main problem to me is not giving an effort to make the main character "alive" and just taking a promo pic of a toy and not change a single thing. It happenned in the past on the comics; there was a pinup cover which had RoboCop with a smaller chest section and his left hand made as a fist; clearly the artist had the McFarlane Robo at home. Same when you have a profile shot of Robo and you can spot the artist got Fletcherīs promo pic from PD. Here you can see how thing the space between the hand and arm is, more like a toy than Wellerīs suit, plus the left arm is posed in a boring way.

I noticed that. Also, if the gun is too big from a certain perspective, it's a give away that it's been added without thought for correct scaling.

ChAnOoD :
I only wish Arrow could make an effort and release RoboCop 2 & 3 at some point. Hell, even the TV stuff as well! Itīd be great to have a decent European release of the rest of the franchise. And speaking of TV, I found RoboCop: The Series is going to be released in a month or two, just to find itīll be release by the same German company which got it on Blu Ray on one disc.

Too soon for the sequels and what could be done different anyway? Shout! did a pretty good job from what I heard. Only Frank Miller's and Peter Weller's inclusion would make a difference now. Also, the 3 editors who worked on it - for some insight into the original cut. The "RoboDoc" guys will probably cover them at some point; "RoboCop 3" was covered perfectly by Dekker's commentary.

Wonder why "The Series" is being re-issued YET again. I'd love restorations of the better episodes with audio coms and a doc. It'd probably have to be a crowdfunding effort to supplement the costs. Don't think a distributor would bankroll it entirely.

I've often wondered if the show could have been saved by replacing composers for the 2nd half of the season. The quality of the music went downhill, as if they couldn't afford the orchestra anymore. Sounded like a small, jazz band at times and cheap. I know the music doesn't make-or-break a series, but it would've lifted the overall production with finer polish, than descending into a real kids show. The grander, more epic symphonic scores of the first 10 or so episodes avoided that. Despite the less-adult tone of the material, it still felt and sounded like a prime-time drama. Darker, colder - more haunting and gothic. That feeling was lost after 'When Justice Fails'.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Spectrum Scarlet :
RoboFan_93 :

RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)

Aside from Birke having worked with Verhoeven on "Elle" and "The Prodigy" coming from the revived Orion studio, I don't see the relevance or significance of him and McCarthy being filmed for a chat between themselves and Ed.

I rather like these 'round table' talks and think it's better to have a person or two who isn't very intimate with the whole thing as part of the discussion.

But for what purpose? To extract something from Ed which he's never shared before? If it's indeed one of those round-table conversations, where we're supposed to feel like members in a studio audience listening to them while they talk amongst one another, that's just going to be terrible and dare I say, very pretentious and 'stagey'. I haven't seen "Elle" or "The Prodigy" either - I wonder if many have.

I'd sooner have an interview with Ed and Mike Miner sat together again, on-camera casually reminiscing about their working relationship, after nearly 40 years of collaboration and friendship. That would be great to see and hear, and it's never been done. Apart from the Q&A's they've attended, which haven't been recorded that well.

RB 2500

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote

alyd :

Love these, especially the "RoboCop 3" one. The muzzle flash on the first should've been bigger (if not, absent entirely) and I don't get the relevance of the suburban park/road night shot for the bottom half of the collage. This meant to signify a graveyard scene? Did the artist get confused with the publicity stills from "RoboCop 2", of that omitted flashback?

RB 2500

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Personally I'd have done a compilation with a few folks to showcase a lot of varied stuff, but that's me.

When The Blues Brothers had itīs 25 anniversary, the makers behind the new extras visited the biggest fansite/forum, and let them (us) know theyīre waiting for fan submissions for it. And thatīs how I ended on one of these extras. I think a featurette covering how RoboCop make the fans obsessed with the character would work fine, instead of focusing everything on one guy only. I think RoboDoc will have that covered at some form, anyway.

Archive :
He worked with former super fan Murphy38 back then so I'm assuming some or most of his collection comes from her.

Iīm pretty sure all her stuff went to him. I donīt know where I saw it, but at some point he pointed on the net about having a Robosuit from her.

alyd :
I was gonna mention this before, but didn't think it warranted a thread (apologies to Arrow, it's not their product, but while we're on the topic of packaging) there are some nice German mediabook Blu-rays available*, if anyone collects RoboPackaging

I was interested on the sequels, but sadly zero extras. Just a repackage with a fancy cover. And I donīt wanna spend too much bucks on a edition only for itīs cover art.

Spectrum Scarlet :
Too soon for the sequels and what could be done different anyway? Shout! did a pretty good job from what I heard. Only Frank Miller's and Peter Weller's inclusion would make a difference now. Also, the 3 editors who worked on it - for some insight into the original cut. The "RoboDoc" guys will probably cover them at some point; "RoboCop 3" was covered perfectly by Dekker's commentary.

Well, you can enjoy them if you live in the US or have a multi-region player. If not, you canīt get these featurettes. And I think I read here that the extras were nice, but not too amazing. Arrow usually does his job with lesser known titles, so itīd be cool to have an european release of these films with some bonus content. As I said in this same post, I donīt want to buy a new edition only for a fancy cover; thatīs why I only own R2 & R3 as part of the RoboCop Trilogy DVD.

Spectrum Scarlet :
Wonder why "The Series" is being re-issued YET again. I'd love restorations of the better episodes with audio coms and a doc. It'd probably have to be a crowdfunding effort to supplement the costs. Don't think a distributor would bankroll it entirely.

Well, I doubt they did anything to improve the previous edition; I bet the only "new" stuff is the cover. I smell a repackaging. Itīs a cheap way to get interest and trying to sell the discs.

Thatīs why Iīd love to get Arrow to work on that. Theyīd try to add some new bonus (instead of borrowing it from this site), and I think theyīd try to upgrade the quality. Donīt get me wrong, itīs nice to have the whole series on a single Blu Ray, but the quality on some episodes are pretty bad. And The Series were filmed the right way, so a real remaster would make it pop and make it look pretty good. I think the right issues would be tricky, since it didnīt have to do with the movie companies, but imagine Arrow releasing everything from 1987 to 2000.

Iīm not sure if theyīd like to go with the cartoons, but even the live action iterations with extra goodies in HD would be amazing. RoboCop 2, RoboCop 3, The Series and Prime Directives (and before everyone will say again how crappy it was, I remember some of you even would consider buying it if they included some new material).

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
I'd sooner have an interview with Ed and Mike Miner sat together again, on-camera casually reminiscing about their working relationship, after nearly 40 years of collaboration and friendship. That would be great to see and hear, and it's never been done. Apart from the Q&A's they've attended, which haven't been recorded that well.

I will say I agree with this. You almost never see Miner in much stuff these days so that would be ideal. But eh, we got what we got. Which might still be ok.

Spectrum Scarlet :
Love these, especially the "RoboCop 3" one. The muzzle flash on the first should've been bigger (if not, absent entirely) and I don't get the relevance of the suburban park/road night shot for the bottom half of the collage. This meant to signify a graveyard scene? Did the artist get confused with the publicity stills from "RoboCop 2", of that omitted flashback?

Again, I like them a lot too, it's a nice style. That said you can't deny they all look very similar to each other. I just would like something to set them apart just a bit more. I also concur the park-looking lower background on the R1 one looks rather strange (maybe meant to be some nod to the 'Home' sequence?) and yes either have the proper iconic muzzle flare or not at all.

Spectrum Scarlet :

I've often wondered if the show could have been saved by replacing composers for the 2nd half of the season. The quality of the music went downhill, as if they couldn't afford the orchestra anymore. Sounded like a small, jazz band at times and cheap. I know the music doesn't make-or-break a series, but it would've lifted the overall production with finer polish, than descending into a real kids show. The grander, more epic symphonic scores of the first 10 or so episodes avoided that. Despite the less-adult tone of the material, it still felt and sounded like a prime-time drama. Darker, colder - more haunting and gothic. That feeling was lost after 'When Justice Fails'.

ChAnOoD :
Well, I doubt they did anything to improve the previous edition; I bet the only "new" stuff is the cover. I smell a repackaging. Itīs a cheap way to get interest and trying to sell the discs.

Thatīs why Iīd love to get Arrow to work on that. Theyīd try to add some new bonus (instead of borrowing it from this site), and I think theyīd try to upgrade the quality. Donīt get me wrong, itīs nice to have the whole series on a single Blu Ray, but the quality on some episodes are pretty bad. And The Series were filmed the right way, so a real remaster would make it pop and make it look pretty good. I think the right issues would be tricky, since it didnīt have to do with the movie companies, but imagine Arrow releasing everything from 1987 to 2000.

Iīm not sure if theyīd like to go with the cartoons, but even the live action iterations with extra goodies in HD would be amazing. RoboCop 2, RoboCop 3, The Series and Prime Directives (and before everyone will say again how crappy it was, I remember some of you even would consider buying it if they included some new material).

Pretty much with Chanood on this one, I think the Series could do with a real release. As said it was shot and filmed properly so it's ripe for a HD remaster ala X-Files. I bet it would look great, especially since what we got some episodes look.. not great. Some featurettes and such would be cool as well. I too doubt it will happen by itself though.

While I think the Series had other issues that needed to be addressed I think you're right keeping up the quality of scoring would have helped quite a bit. I myself do say music can make-or-break something.. or at least can make something that would otherwise be so-so good, something bad not as bad, and something good great. That said I agree the music went down in quality as the show went - It still sounded ok but not as powerful as the first half of the show, certainly. But I don't think that's entirely attributable to Gillis, more likely just a cost issue, cutting corners as the show went (we all know how expensive a production it was). Like you said sounds like he couldn't afford a full orchestra for later episodes, and that well might actually have been the case. Also seems like they re-use cues a bit more in the latter part of the show as well so again, cost cutting seems likely. But that's just a thought, who the hell really knows? End of the day I'd like to see a release with some new content, yes I grudgingly admit that would include PD. :roll:

RB 52679

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Pretty much with Chanood on this one, I think the Series could do with a real release. As said it was shot and filmed properly so it's ripe for a HD remaster ala X-Files. I bet it would look great, especially since what we got some episodes look.. not great. Some featurettes and such would be cool as well. I too doubt it will happen by itself though.

Well, the good thing about The Series is that it had a budget, wasnīt that old, and people are willing to talk about it. I think the only main concern would be having each episode on the old TV ratio aspect instead of Widescreen, but not a big deal with that. And people from the cast and crew happily would like to talk about their thoughts filming this, so thereīs no excuse to add some bonus content.

Itīd be wonderful to have some discs instead of one. As I already said, some episodes from the German edition I own are OK, but others looked... weird. Like the colors are off, and such. With a proper restoration (and not having the episodes from another DVD release and put them together on Blu Ray) Iīm sure itīd look gorgeous.

Stan The Man :
That said I agree the music went down in quality as the show went - It still sounded ok but not as powerful as the first half of the show.

I remember some episodes having that midi-keyboard sound for trumpets and such, making it less interesting to hear, but thatīs ok (even with the repetition of cues during the episodes). Way too heroic and over-the-top at some moments, but sounded cute.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
alyd
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :

Yeah they all have a little scene, so there it seems to be ED in a park having stepped on something that's bleeding?? 2 has the streets as seen in the film, with a flipped car and a dead guy under it. 3 has soldiers around the car, which seems right too.

I guess Krause was using a bit of licence in the first one, but unlike Shipper for Arrow and Shout, he seems to not use toys in the imagery, or not that you'd spot it anyway, which is a plus I think Smile

RB 151

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
And The Series were filmed the right way, so a real remaster would make it pop and make it look pretty good.

Stan The Man :
Pretty much with Chanood on this one, I think the Series could do with a real release. As said it was shot and filmed properly so it's ripe for a HD remaster ala X-Files. I bet it would look great, especially since what we got some episodes look.. not great.

Yes, it was shot on 35mm film. With the right restoration team, it would be gorgeous in terms of picture and colour quality. But there's one caveat. All of the visual effects were produced at videotape resolution. What would you do there? Leave them in SD, which would mean hundreds of shots upscaled? Or attempt to recreate them in HD?

How do they fare on this German BluRay with the original video masters?

ChAnOoD :
I think the right issues would be tricky, since it didnīt have to do with the movie companies...

They won't be, considering the DVD sets have been released by independents. Kew Media, the rights holder, don't care for it. They'd license it out to any legitimate company and would probably be taken aback from one with interest in restoration.

ChAnOoD :
...and Prime Directives (and before everyone will say again how crappy it was, I remember some of you even would consider buying it if they included some new material).

Only if they cut it down to 3 films, drop "The Matrix" fakery and re-score it entirely in line with the '87 - '94 soundscape. Likely? No. With all its VFX, it wouldn't be viable. With "The Series", it came shortly after "RoboCop 3"; Ed and Mike wrote the pilot and Basil's theme was incorporated. Far more relevance and connections to the movie franchise than "PD"; Richard's hero-pose publicity shot is also world-recognised.

ChAnOoD :
I think the only main concern would be having each episode on the old TV ratio aspect instead of Widescreen, but not a big deal with that.

Why would it be a concern? It's how it was shot. I don't understand why some people can't watch an old 4:3 photographed television production and feel the need to stretch it to fill their widescreen TV's. I'm not saying you can't and would, Chanood, but it's just the way it was back then.

If Kew insisted on it for potential broadcast sales (as a result of revived interest with the new movie), a restoration team could prepare alternative, 16:9 re-formatted masters, arc-ing the original picture by zooming-in fill that aspect ratio. It would mean cutting off the tops and bottoms of every single shot; I don't know if both could be made available on disc.

Stan The Man :
But I don't think that's entirely attributable to Gillis […] who the hell really knows?

You're forgetting Jon Stroll - he was credited above Kevin. I think it was obvious the orchestra was no more. Those last few episodes were 'spotted' with existing cues. I'd certainly take an isolated music score soundtrack on most of the episodes, but would prefer parts of the latter 11 re-scored. If not for a new, fresh experience, to maintain consistency and apply that across a limited, short-lived, 23-hour run. Sure Jon and Kevin could make it work with the current tech.

ChAnOoD :
I remember some episodes having that midi-keyboard sound for trumpets and such, making it less interesting to hear, but thatīs ok (even with the repetition of cues during the episodes). Way too heroic and over-the-top at some moments, but sounded cute.

Is it though? Did it really work? Like you say, it was too grandiose and samey. Went against the series, weakening the best of that 2nd half, such as 'The Tin Man', 'Heartbreakers' and 'Nano'. 'Midnight Minus One' came off better with wiser selection from the library of cues, but still contained a few moments that were out-of-place musically.

RB 2500

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
Only if they cut it down to 3 films, drop "The Matrix" fakery and re-score it entirely in line with the '87 - '94 soundscape.

Thatīd be a fan made adaptation of PD, then. But wait a second, if someone would remaster and remix PD, maybe the sound mix would leave the voices at one channel and these things you said could be made tongue

Spectrum Scarlet :
Why would it be a concern? It's how it was shot. I don't understand why some people can't watch an old 4:3 photographed television production and feel the need to stretch it to fill their widescreen TV's. I'm not saying you can't and would, Chanood, but it's just the way it was back then.

Personally, I donīt have any issue with that, but Iīm sure there are people who wouldnīt like it too much (as there are people who almost die when youīre trying to show them an old, black & white film tongue). I saw on the net some screengrabs of the Buffy TV show, and they changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 or something similar, so you can see cameras, crew people or boom microphones at each side. Imagine if they go that way.

As for the FX, not sure what to do. An upscaled version seems the easiest way, since I doubt there isnīt too many interest on the "lesser known" versions of the character, so I doubt any studio would spend cash to redo FX for The Series.

Back on topic, I think Iīll have to pre-order this new edition soon...

RB 11786

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard