New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Enhancing Robocop 1/2 using AI.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:00 am Reply with quote

has this been talked about ? I just tried it on my 2080ti and it really does look better compared to what i have on bluray. The left is arrow frames direct from source and on the right has been enhanced with AI. I also made a small clip but is somewhat choppy probably the settings im using. I get people like the original grain but on some of the scenes its really needed and you can clearly see improvements in the backdrops and closeups.

comparison
https://i.imgur.com/DX4urGT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/buPHSQH.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSpPV1vS8I

RB 1031

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Interesting. What program are you using for this?

I've seen smoothing being done on a few new remastered blu-ray releases and the result is varied. In the case of "Predator" where everything was heavily filtered everyone in that new version look like they are made of wax.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote

there are other software for it but this seemed more automated. It has other settings, ill try them later tonight. It takes forever though, not impossible to do the whole movie but have to fix that stutter first.

RB 1031

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote

Yeah that video is indeed choppy and slow, lost a good bit of the framerate. So that's a bit jarring to watch.

That said the picture quality is real good. I mean real good. Yes I like the grain, it's just part of that 'filmed in the 80s with not a whole lot of money' charm, so to not have it takes a bit to get used to. But still, the slightly better detail on the faces, the shine on the polished Deagle... It's fabulous.

I rather like how minimalist the 'touching up' is here, which is really how I prefer any of these enhancements. Less is more and all that. As Archive said there's other instances where they go overboard with it and the result just looks like it's video-game graphics or something, loses that sense of 'realness'. Here, well ED still looks like it's a three-dimensional 'actual' figure and not some CG animation as some enhancement jobs would make it seem like. But in spots, particularly where Dick and McNamera are the background when ED goes to stand-by, it looks just a tad bit less like it's an obvious rear-projection. Again, it actually 'enhances' the picture rather than try to be a 'do-over'.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Generally I am not into this sort of thing but it's hard to deny that most, if not all, of the pictures look better after the clean up. The clip is too choppy to say anything for certain. It does looks smooth but also some grain is noticeable. It does make me wonder, by taking away most of the grain, does it make what is left more noticeable? I watched the Batman Beyond remastered series recently, and while it overall looked amazing, the flaws stood out more than anything. As we enter a world where 4K is becoming standard and our favorite movies have been remastered multiple times, I do have to wonder at what point will technology be so advanced that it takes away from the experience of watching older films. Some would say we have already hit that point, and some may still prefer watching 80s and 90s movies on the format they originally were released on, cassette. For myself, I am still unsure. I do like modern convince but I don't have a 4K TV and don't see much need to upgrade from HD to UHD. Not that all has anything to do with this project specifically, but I can't help but wonder how many more 'improvements' can be made on the quality of the original 1987 movie before it does not feel like a movie from 1987.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote

im going to try to fix that choppiness by just extracting the frames and using ffmpeg to put it back together, guessing its the fps. hopefully tonight or for sure this weekend.

edit: using ffmpeg fixes this, better to extract to png and then just recompile. the shooting scene looks fantastic because the quality in that scene was not always so good, especially the directors cut scenes. the operating table scene also suffers from thi somewhat. id say its actually more gruesome if you can believe that after running it through.

edit 2: im doing murphys death overnight then adding sound then uploading. i hope i can do the whole movie eventually, if not me someone else because it really does look better and the amount of times we have seen this movie to be able to watch it with even a little bit more detail is really great.

preview

https://i.imgur.com/ZWkwC1C.jpg

RB 1031

edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSpPV1vS8I

tell me what you think

RB 1031

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Looking good! It looks "crispy" without looking fake. As Archive and other people pointed it, sometimes the actors look like wax figures, something that doesn´t happen here.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote

That looks amazing. The grain is gone but still retains the crisp look and people don't look like they have been painted over to make them look smooth. Great job!

RB 18145

edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote

thanks. im about 1/4 for the whole movie should be done with the full thing by next week.

RB 1031

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote

Great job, looks fantastic.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote

the robocop 2 differences are much more apparent, especially with scenes with cain vs robocop, for example the remote control, with the bluray version from scream factory you cant make out the buttons, but with it being processed you can clearly see what its saying in all scenes, also robo from a distance where he is shot from cain its much much more cleaerer, you can read all the labels on cain very easily. just waiting for my 8tb hd to arrive im bound right now with 250gb for my nvme drive and its not enough. i tried it on old bluray i love lucy episodes and the differences is massive. this is the future imo. i understand people would want the old version but generally speaking it is more appealing to the eye. there is diminishing returns though, the crappier the quality gets the harder it gets to fix.

RB 1031

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote

Can you post examples of the remote and Robo in the distance that you mention. Would be keen to see just how much better they look.

RB 18145

edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote

PFML84 :
Can you post examples of the remote and Robo in the distance that you mention. Would be keen to see just how much better they look.

sure thing. cain really shines with this, a lot of detail comes out as you can see, especially with the last one.

RB 1031

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Picture and Video Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard