New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

PLAYBACK 2020_ The year in review

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote

Ok nobody really wants to remember this year for obvious reasons. A lot of stuff due seems to have been (understandably) delayed in the first global pandemic in a century. Although there wasn't a huge amount that arrived, there was one fairly big event so let's count em down.

Cavity Colors tee range

Great range of fantastic artwork and designs.

Super7 ED-209 vs Mr. Kinney figures 2-pack

Following last year's Robo and Emil figures, we got this nice box set of cartoon-style figures (and the first Kinney figure?) Hopefully there'll be some more figures in this range in 2021 although I'm not aware anything has been confirmed.

Hiya Toys including SDCC Kik Me variant

Many of this extensive range of figures have been released, including likenesses from each film plus battle-damaged variants. We've had Nightfighter homages before but the SDCC Kik Me exclusive was a nice touch.

Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath

So the biggest event of the year was Peter Weller unexpectedly returning to the role of RoboCop as a playable DLC character in the 11th instalment in this bloody beat-em-up series. His fight intro screen was particularly brilliant with Robo stepping out of his car looking exactly like the classic poster pose. There were plenty other Easter eggs with a scrolling news bar full of references to TJ Lazer and other things. The dialogue between him and the likes of Scorpion and fellow guest character Spawn was very sharp, drawing parallels between their origin stories - men who have lost their lives and families. Appearing alongside The Terminator, this was a welcome videogame return for those of us who grew up with the RVT games. It's a shame the unlockable helmetless version doesn't really sport Weller's likeness but overall this was a much-needed ray of light in a dark year. Now how about a dedicated RoboCop game for PS5?

Thank God 2020 is over! But what next for Robo?

SEARCHING 2021_

More Hiya Toys figures

More of these are due to arrive in the UK early in 2021. Maybe they are out other territories but I have struggled to find all of them.

Chronicle Collectibles 1:1 Robo Bust

Pre-orders closed sometime in the first half of the year. Although this was meant to ship in Q2, it seems Covid has delayed this one. Although I initially planned to purchase, I am going to have to pass due to lack of space. I'm gutted.

RoboCop Returns???

Unfortunately I think this film is unlikely now and not just because of MGM being in financial trouble. Before Covid, there seemed to be a decline in older franchise films being surefire hits. But I think the bigger issue is whether audiences will have the appetite to return to theaters or whether they will turn to streaming. Time will tell.

Young Dick Jones prequel show

Being developed with Ed Neumeier, I think it's possible this series concept will end up being unrelated to RoboCop. However, I've always wondered what happened in Detroit in the months leading up to the original film. Maybe earlier Enforcement Droids? A young Clarence and his first 30 cop kills? A young Lewis even? It's an interesting concept but arguably people will not feel positively about a Robo show without Robo, even though in many ways the original film is just as much about Jones, Morton and Boddicker as it is about Murphy.

RoboDoc

I wonder now if this will be saved for 2022 to coincide with the 35th anniversary. Hopefully some updates soon.

Movies on 4K Discs?

I haven't made the jump to 4K yet. I feel my eyesight is deteriorating at a rate that makes increased resolution redundant. However, the PS5 has arrived and I'm still and sucker for physical media. RoboCop is the one title that would force me to happily upgrade.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Great list as usual, even if there wasn't much to get excited about for Robo in 2021. The best thing to me was easily the Super7 ED-209 and Kinney action figure set. The Super7 line is pretty good overall. The figures have a retro stylized look, but the ED-209 is more just a traditional ED-209 figure, more detailed and screen accurate than Super7's other offerings, which makes it appealing even if you are not into the Super7 style. It has been a while since we had a good and affordable ED-209 figure on the market, so I recommend grabbing this pack when you can. The Kinney figure is just the icing on the cake, a figure I never thought I would see and still makes me chuckle when I look at it. There is a huge hole in his chest. It's perfect.

The future of Robo isn't bright, though I feel like I say that every year on these posts. And it's true, the trickle of new stuff continues to slow down, and rumors about new movies are just a phantom that continuously hangs over us with promises of big things to come every now and again and nothing to show for it. Similarly we have the RoboDoc. It was nice to see them come here and listen to the community for a brief time, but after that the project seems to have gone back into hibernation until god knows when. And with the way 2020 went down that is fine, they are hardly the only film production interrupted and I am sure we will see the RoboDoc someday. My concern is about the followup documentaries they were working on, the status of which now would seem in question to me. It has been so long it is hard to imagine there is still substantial excitement for their RoboCop the Series documentary besides the few of us here on the Archive who were demanding it a year ago. Besides that, I am just always hoping for some new RoboCop comics. Boom still has the license as far as I can tell, they just haven't done anything with it since the underwhelming Citizens Arrest wrapped up a couple years ago. Overall I am not expecting anything significant from Robo in 2021.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Nice list as always JimWantsAliens! Smile

As per usual this year was another one of those "waiting for something RoboCop related that never happens" years. RoboDoc was delayed and RoboCop Returns was a complete no show once again.

2020 did have some nice new releases, though i must admit i never got any of them. My quota of Robo figures is definitely full and i never got into Mortal Kombat enough to consider getting the game just for the Robo add on.

RB 348486

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
As per usual this year was another one of those "waiting for something RoboCop related that never happens" years. RoboDoc was delayed and RoboCop Returns was a complete no show once again.

I wonder if the RoboDoc team took some vacations from the project. Their last update was hopeful, saying their first documentary was almost done and parts 2 & 3 were close as well. Since that no news (unless I missed something).

Archive :
2020 did have some nice new releases, though i must admit i never got any of them. My quota of Robo figures is definitely full and i never got into Mortal Kombat enough to consider getting the game just for the Robo add on.

I agree. Itīs nice to have new stuff, but I didnīt pick anything. The T-Shirt designs wasnīt too interesting to me, and if I were interested the shipping cost would kill that. Iīm considering getting the Hiya battle damaged RoboCop from RoboCop 2, as theyīre not expensive and look cute, but I have way too many Robos. Iīm more interested on their ED-209, but I think it wonīt be ready until Spring or something like that.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard