New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Questions to the RoboDoc team - Ask anything
Goto page Previous  1, 2

RoboDoc
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote

• With THE SERIES, is there any likelihood, no matter how small it is, that some clips from the best episodes could be presented in HD? Have the producers and editors of that show been asked whether the original negatives still exist? We know it was edited on videotape and would be labour heavy to reconstruct. But from that, you would have the raw camera footage, outtakes, deleted scenes and the opportunity to assemble whatever gag reel they put together (at the time) in hi-def.
We’re currently focusing on the 3 movies and then will put our best efforts into sourcing materials for RoboCop The Series once the movies have been completed. We’ll be digging as deep as we can for the best content and presenting the TV Series in the best, highest specs we possibly can. We have acquired some brief behind the scenes content already for the TV Series but we will try and gather as much as we can once we finished the 3 film edits first. So the answer at this point is - we still need to look into it.

• Is it still possible to donate now and have our names included in the credits? As a huge fan It pains me that I missed out on it.
The company isn't running any more campaigns at this stage for backer credits except for ‘producer’ credits. This could change closer to the release.

• Approximately how much time will be spent in the documentaries discussing RoboCop comic books, and which publishers (Marvel, Dark Horse, etc) will be discussed?
We have a dedicated standalone feature covering the original Marvel 23 issue comic book line which we expect to be 30+ minutes. We have cast & crew from the movies talk about how the various comic book lines influenced the RoboCop sequels and those comments will sit within the documentaries on those movies. So, the RoboCop comic books do get mentioned in the docs for all 3 movies including the Dark Horse Comics but not in any great detail. We originally set out to make a documentary focusing on the movies only, primarily the first masterpiece. We gathered more info than we expected during the original production and decided to expand the project and include the toys, comics and video games because it would be a waste to not use what we’ve accumulated. This means more work for us but a better end result for fellow-fans.

RB 90

cake
RoboDoc
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote

• In the teaser, we saw Robert Burke speaking about RoboCop 3 and he swore, but it was beeped out. Can you confirm that was just a one-off joke done specifically for the trailer and all interviews and footage in RoboDoc 3 will be uncensored? May sound silly, but I just want to make sure, I don't want to watch a censored documentary as one big elaborate joke just because the film itself was aimed at kids!
Absolutely! This is just a trailer in-joke, which was devised by Eastwood and you’ll be able to see he’s made another little joke on the recent cast poster for RoboDoc 3 too!
 Having been editing RoboDoc 3 (which is surprisingly tough!), Robert Burke very much speaks his mind and throws in a fair few curse words too, which we have no intention of masking. He really is a star in the hot chair with some brutally honest answers about the trials and tribulations of filling Weller’s boots with some fucking hilarious anecdotes. All the docs will be presented with no censoring of language.

• The RoboCop soundtracks, or remixed versions, doesn't seem to be played in the documentary. Will you have a section of the doc dedicated to the music/composers in some form?
We cover the score of the trilogy in each of the film documentaries and we hear from those involved about the music, and how it came to be. Without either Basil or Leonard being around, we couldn’t delve too deep into those subjects but there’s insight on the scores for sure.

• Can we buy it if we missed the kickstarter?
Absolutely! A pre-order link will be made available once we have everything in a position to be sent to the disc manufacturers. Anyone who is already a backer can expect all of the outlined documentaries including the extra features to be within the same set they’ll receive.

• This is probably a bit of a morbid question, but how much outtakes/dailies/raw unedited footage from Murphy's death did you guys uncover? Were the close-up shot(s) and the low angle-looking-up shot of Murphy being shotgunned, as well as the shot of him falling to his knees, among the raw/unedited footage you found? I've always wanted to see the full unedited takes of these shots. If you did indeed find the raw footage of these shots, I'd love to see them featured in the documentary (or on the documentary's DVD/blu-ray extras, perhaps in the form of a b-roll montage like the one on the recent Arrow RoboCop blu-ray).
We have utilised a number of raw takes as featured in previous releases, but we also have a pristine daily of an extended shoot of his hand being blown off we unearthed and had digitised, which is wonderfully grotesque and features in our “Death of Murphy” preview seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgnM2fYAkA

RB 90

cake
RoboDoc
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote

• Did you uncover any workprints or previously unreleased deleted scenes from all three original films?

We discovered dailies from the original film with alternate takes of the Boddicker gang testing out the Cobra Assault Canons on the streets and a lot of the Deep Ellum filming along with varying takes of Robo from other scenes and extended shots of Murphy’s hand being blown off, which we paid to have digitised from their original reels which was an absolute treat. As for the sequels, we’ve inherited about approximately 4 hours of behind the scenes footage for RoboCop 2 that showcases the behind the scenes of the infamous graveyard sequence, a deleted commercial featuring an Elvis impersonator and separate to that, a few hours of Phil Tippett’s workshop producing the RoboCain sequences, which we are ensuring get used dramatically in RoboDoc 2. We have home home movies from the cast of RoboCop 3 during the time of production and we have workprints and tv edits for each of the films. We’re still on the look for more material as we work away.

• Aside from Peter Weller and Rob Bottin, were there any individuals involved in the RoboCop franchise in general (movies, TV show, cartoons, etc) you wanted to interview but were unable to for whatever reason?

We did have Miguel Ferrer confirmed, but sadly he was taken ill at the time of production, which would have been a great asset as he gives brilliant interviews.

We also have tried to approach the likes of Dennis Pawlick, Frank Miller and Walon Green but either there was not interest or they were unreachable.
We even reached out to the executives from Robocop The Animated Series but they were really candid and told us they couldn’t offer us anything of interest because of how fast a turnover that series was during an already heavy schedule of other toons.

• Will the RoboDoc (and any accompany extras on the DVD & blu-ray) have any English
    subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired? As someone who has hearing problems, I'm hoping the answer will be yes.

Up to this point we haven’t utilised subtitles on releases, but it is something we would very much consider for this release. We can’t give any more information beyond that, but will very much take it in to account as I myself, personally have to utilise subtitles.

RB 90

cake
RoboDoc
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote

We want to say thanks to Archive for giving us this platform and thanks to the frequent posters over the years on RoboCop Archive.

We’ve seen a few comments regarding the tone of the documentary and how we’re handling the opinions of those who we’ve interviewed. We want these documentaries to be informative as well as entertaining. We have no interest in making anyone look “bad” for our own agenda (we don't have one), we’ve not had a single bad interaction with anyone we’ve met on this project, and this includes Peter Weller. Weller was an absolute gent when we actually met him in person and our dealings with him have been in good-spirit. Any editorial decisions we make in the doc(s) are made from the collected consensus of people’s thoughts and experiences during the productions. We’ve heard from over 102 people in total and most of them gave us examples of the same set stories and we were sure to corroborate these stories. We want to depict the production of these movies accurately and that means including the ups and downs. it paints a picture of how these films came to be. Sure, we can be playful with the editing for entertainment value but we’re very conscious of being fair and accurate to those involved. We’re trying to be as objective as possible and any opinions showcased are a reflection of those we interviewed.

If there’s anything we’ve missed you can read our most recent update on the project here
https://movieweb.com/robodoc-robocop-documentary-preview/

Thanks again for everyones questions, it means a lot that people actually care about this project. We’re all fans in this!

(Co-directors) Chris & Eastwood

RB 90

cake
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote

Thank you guys for answering the questions, greatly appreciated. I didn't think I could be any more excited to see these documentaries than I already was, but here I am brimming with joy at the thought that in the not too distant future I'll finally get the chance to pop them into the blu-ray player and watch. Good luck with the remainder of the project.

Have you given any further consideration to the idea of having a 2nd Kickstarter to help pay towards Weller's fee? I know a lot of people did not know about the original Kickstarter until after it ended and they would like to contribute to the project in some way. As someone who contributed to the original one, I would be willing to donate a little more and I'm sure others would too if it meant actually being able to get Weller interviewed like everyone else and have the docs as 'complete' in that regard as possible.

RB 19226

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 am Reply with quote

RoboDoc :
The Avatar comics, Alpha Commando, Prime Directives or the RoboCop (2014) reboot are not covered. We have to draw the line somewhere with such a small team working on this. It’s everything within that 1987-1997 window during Orion Pictures’ original run.

While it is somewhat sad to hear some of these things won't appear, this answer really put it into perspective for me. I guess you really can't cover anything, but it is good to hear that most of the content from the classic era of RoboCop will at least get is fair mention. And while I would love to see Dark Horse get the same treatment as Marvel, I am absolutely stoked about the standalone feature on the Marvel Comics. I've had the chance to chat with Lee and he has told me some great stories about the making of the RoboCop comics. I know he will have some great insight and look forward to see him getting his fair due onscreen. And an hourlong doc about The Series sounds perfect! I am definitely more excited for that than the main documentary, but after these responses I am looking forward to the whole project much more. I really appreciate the creators taking the time to come and listen to RoboCop's dankest fanbase. And I was happy to see the questions about the spinoff material was addressed first, both honestly and forthcoming with specific details. Someone said something about another kickstarter to get Weller involved and I'd be first in line to donate! I was skeptical the first time around, it seemed almost like a pipedream, but after seeing all the hard work from the RoboDoc team and their appreciation for the thoughts and questions of us here on the Archive I know that these docs will be great whenever they are released!

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboEd
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote

Thanks to the RoboDoc team for answering our questions. Got a follow-up question regarding the workprints...

Are there any notable differences in editing between the workprints and the released versions of the films? Would love to see the workprint version of Kinney's death, Murphy's death, RoboCop's first night on the beat, the drug factory shootout, Robo's battle with ED-209, and the climactic showdown at the steel mill.

RB 26

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
While it is somewhat sad to hear some of these things won't appear, this answer really put it into perspective for me. I guess you really can't cover anything, but it is good to hear that most of the content from the classic era of RoboCop will at least get is fair mention. And while I would love to see Dark Horse get the same treatment as Marvel, I am absolutely stoked about the standalone feature on the Marvel Comics. I've had the chance to chat with Lee and he has told me some great stories about the making of the RoboCop comics. I know he will have some great insight and look forward to see him getting his fair due onscreen. And an hourlong doc about The Series sounds perfect! I am definitely more excited for that than the main documentary, but after these responses I am looking forward to the whole project much more. I really appreciate the creators taking the time to come and listen to RoboCop's dankest fanbase. And I was happy to see the questions about the spinoff material was addressed first, both honestly and forthcoming with specific details. Someone said something about another kickstarter to get Weller involved and I'd be first in line to donate! I was skeptical the first time around, it seemed almost like a pipedream, but after seeing all the hard work from the RoboDoc team and their appreciation for the thoughts and questions of us here on the Archive I know that these docs will be great whenever they are released!

Word to pretty much all of this. God help me I seem to be agreeing with this maniac more and more these days. Crazy times we're living in, indeed. Laughing

That said, big props and thanks to you guys for participating in this AMA regarding the Doc, which I am only more looking forward to! Keep up the good work, guys. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard